All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

Your last statement is accurate, it will be difficult for any coach. However "IMO, Coach Johnson was unfairly put in a position where he is expected to bring in more quality MN players than any recent coach. But he has accepted that challenge." Unfairly? He wasn't promoted from within after the coach was fired.., he literally lobbied for the job using recruiting as a big reason why to hire him. He brought any expectations on himself.. and will succeed or fail as a result.
"Unfairly" was not a good choice of a word on my part.

No question that BJ wants to keep the best MN kids and made that a major point in his hire. So does just about everyone. Who wouldn't?

My point was that this expectation is out there very loud and clear. It definitely has been a major talking point and focus. Coyle talked about it in the press conference. The media made a strong point about it as well. There has been significant expectations, by BJ himself and many others, placed on doing a better job than Pitino in keeping MN kids at home.

The bottom line is that is clearly the expectation; one that is probably not "unfair" but more likely unrealistic and not required in order to make the program more competitive.

There is a degree of accountability and integrity that enters into the situation. The AAU people can't complain and keep using the same old excuses that the U is ignoring them. True character is defined by saying what you do and doing what you say, not bullsh!t. If their intent was to play the U then they have no integrity and are also playing the kids and the parents that are involved with the programs.

Okay, sure...if the AAU and the University of Minnesota had some sort of partnership where goods/services/money are traded

Question: What does the University of Minnesota provide to the AAU programs that "NOW" that we hired their guy, the AAU is indebted to the University?

If the answer is: nothing.

then what you feel and are saying is just your emotions, not something that the U can actually use to push AAU programs to push kids to the program

Agreed. I am not sure if people just have short memories or if people are purposely moving the goal posts to lower expectations. The big rip on Smith and Dutcher was that they haven't recruited Minnesota and that's why BJ was the better choice; apparently recruiting Minnesota was so critical that we needed to ignore other qualifications to the point that we wouldn't even interview those other candidates. If you now say it's not fair to put pressure on Johnson to get MN players, then why in the world would you have hired him without interviewing any other candidates? That was literally the only thing on paper you could look at, without speaking to the candidates, and say Johnson had on the other candidates.

Excellent post. I also feel that some, not all, but some, are now lowering the bar for BJ.

Even during the intro presser, Coyle made a point to mention local recruiting was big.

BJ was hired to put up a wall around the state and bring not all, but the kids that can turn this program around into a consistent "ABOVE .500 BALL" program

Coyle said .500 ball is not acceptable.

Well Mark, next year we most likely wont come close to that according to experts who have evaluated our new roster

Excellent post. I also feel that some, not all, but some, are now lowering the bar for BJ.

Even during the intro presser, Coyle made a point to mention local recruiting was big.

BJ was hired to put up a wall around the state and bring not all, but the kids that can turn this program around into a consistent "ABOVE .500 BALL" program

Well Mark, next year we most likely wont come close to that according to experts who have evaluated our new roster
In my view going above .500 is not critical in and of itself, IF he can pull a big 2022 class. Because everyone can see, the chips are down on that class maturing and growing together, so there is hope. If he drops a dud recruiting class, and then has a below .500 year, then he is in trouble, for two reasons:
1) The local classes after 2022 are not great for the next two years.
2) Coach Johnson has little momentum, and nothing he can point to to convince recruits otherwise, so its hard to see his success rate going up in the future.

I hope he can do it, I really do, but I don't see the reasons why kids will pick a vaporware guy who has nothing real to point at, whereas all the coaches you're recruiting against have something real: past records, game video, NBA players, tourney games, etc. After next year coach Johnson will have something real and it will most likely be a sub .333 record, and that, I am afraid, will be the start of the tail spin if he hasn't locked in that big 2022 class.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in what I tried to say. Players can go play wherever they want to play based upon their priorities. I was addressing the point where so many are claiming that they want to represent the state of Minnesota.
They can represent the state, their city,their high school anywhere. All their classmates recognize the better programs. Many of those are the biggest games in town. Here, Gopher basketball is pretty far down the food chain.Still, i can list many reason to pick this program no matter where your from. Perhaps dream school, best program offer, good college, part of building something, early playing time, cool facilities to some, getting away for some, staying home for others.

Well under .500 was acceptable for a very long time.

I would think playing alu the home games in front of Family would mean a lot to the locals, or I hope it works for this large class.

I would think playing alu the home games in front of Family would mean a lot to the locals, or I hope it works for this large class.
Certainly a factor for some. Other families are proud when their kids go away to a better college and program. This applies to nearly every program. The data is clear. Look at a elite program and school like UVA. They have rarely kept their instate targets home.

I would really like to see it happen for this class and the Gopher fan baselto see the locals and. also see them as winners.

l.ve watched kevin McHale, Michael Bells Thompson, Willie Burton Oberding, langsberger, and many others, it would be really be great to see the next group of stars in front of us.

Here's a thought. If a MN kid goes to another school, he's just a basketball player.

but, especially in the current situation, if a highly-rated MN kid goes to MN, people will be putting a lot of extra expectations on them to "save the program," including the expectation that they will help convince other MN players to 'stay home.'

Some players may willingly accept that level of expectations.

Other players may not want anything to do with it.

Don't get me wrong - I would like to see more of the good MN kids play for the Gophers. But I want them to do it for the 'right' reasons - not because people are putting pressure on them or claiming they have some kind of an obligation to stay home and support the program.

I could see a kid saying "bleep it, I don't need that extra pressure. I'm going to go to School X."
No top level player is going to be afraid of being the guy. If they are afraid of achieving greatness than you do not want them.

They can represent the state, their city,their high school anywhere. All their classmates recognize the better programs. Many of those are the biggest games in town. Here, Gopher basketball is pretty far down the food chain.Still, i can list many reason to pick this program no matter where your from. Perhaps dream school, best program offer, good college, part of building something, early playing time, cool facilities to some, getting away for some, staying home for others.
That is claiming fame in a very small group of an inner circle. If they ever make it to the NBA, millions of fans have no idea where you played high school or AAU basketball. All they know is where you played college basketball. Khalid El-Amin is know nationality for being from UConn, not North High. Players rep Where they play on the national stage.

Most of you can identify where the following players went to college, but try to remember what state they played high schools in?
Grant Hill..
Shaq..
Danny Manning…
Carmelo Anthony…
Anthony Davis…
etc…. You should get my point.

That is claiming fame in a very small group of an inner circle. If they ever make it to the NBA, millions of fans have no idea where you played high school or AAU basketball. All they know is where you played college basketball. Khalid El-Amin is know nationality for being from UConn, not North High. Players rep Where they play on the national stage.

Most of you can identify where the following players went to college, but try to remember what state they played high schools in?
Grant Hill..
Shaq..
Danny Manning…
Carmelo Anthony…
Anthony Davis…
etc…. You should get my point.
Well then representing Minnesota means very little and if it is all about national recognition they should never pick Minnesota. You were talking about representing Minnesota.

Well under .500 was acceptable for a very long time.

and that is the problem. The mentality needs to change. PJ for example has done a great job, thru an amount of work that I can only fathom, in changing the fan base expectations for the team. Very few games feel like we don't have a chance to win now.

per Shooter:

The state’s top basketball recruit for 2022, 6-2 point guard Tre Holloman of Cretin-Derham Hall, officially visited Michigan State the other day. But Holloman, a defensive back in football, unofficially also met with Spartans football coach Mel Tucker for 45 minutes. Holloman visits Marquette for basketball toward the end of the month. The Gophers have offered for both sports.

Meanwhile, Holloman is playing summer basketball for Howard Pulley and will spend several weeks in July in tournaments in Georgia.

Go Gophers!!

Nice interview by GH. I just get a bad feeling that he is enamored by the bright lights of Izo.
I’m getting the same feeling. Love the effort Ben and staff are putting in with Tre, but looking at social media and reading between the lines with some things that have been said on other sites, MSU seems like the safe bet.

I’d put Tre at about a 10% chance he comes here. As others said above, it’s really pointing towards MSU at this point.

The reality has settled in for me that this is going to take several years. Some parallels to Whalen's start. She got Sara Scalia in her first class, who is a solid playe,r but not what people were hoping for as far as in-state. Now in her fourth year, it looks like Whalen has finally established the relationships as the '22 recruiting class is looking really solid and she's getting some top in-state kids. Gopher legend, former pro all-star, WNBA champ takes four years? Johnson doesn't have anything close to that pedigree but I'm hopeful he'll follow the the same trajectory. Problem is, I think there's a chance of him never really gaining traction and kids not seeing success on the horizon.

One or two kids with Scalia's recruit ranking sure would settle my nerves.

Tre isn't a follower. He plays on an AAU team with 0 ranked guys when he could have easily bolted. He'll blaise his own trail.
He is 100% a leader, which is why I want him on the roster badly. This team would be a winner with him leading the way. There’s just some things lately that make me think Izzo has convinced him he’ll be that leader at MSU instead.

He is 100% a leader, which is why I want him on the roster badly. This team would be a winner with him leading the way. There’s just some things lately that make me think Izzo has convinced him he’ll be that leader at MSU instead.
I wouldn't get caught up on social media posts pro Gopher or pro MSU. Enjoy the ride.

I wouldn't get caught up on social media posts pro Gopher or pro MSU. Enjoy the ride.
While fun to follow, you can tell it doesn’t mean anything. One day he’s posting/liking about MN, the next day it’s MSU.

I don’t think anybody truly knows what Tre is going to do except Tre. I think the slight moving of goalposts that I have seen in other places makes me a little less confident but it could just be my anxiousness for this staff to get 2022 recruiting rolling. They need a commit.

While fun to follow, you can tell it doesn’t mean anything. One day he’s posting/liking about MN, the next day it’s MSU.

I don’t think anybody truly knows what Tre is going to do except Tre. I think the slight moving of goalposts that I have seen in other places makes me a little less confident but it could just be my anxiousness for this staff to get 2022 recruiting rolling. They need a commit.
Maybe 20% of the 2022 class has committed so far. Ben will have one or two at least by September.

You’re spot on about Tre. No one knows yet and I don’t think his recruitment is over yet.

Last edited:

Top Bottom