All Things Taison Chatman Recruiting Thread (Class of 2023, Totino-Grace HS, Gophers Offered)

What does that have to do with what I said or what he said? They had 14 guys on NBA rosters on opening night, that is the third most of any college.

This is his quote: “They have a lot of depth. They produce a lot of NBA-ready guys every year. I feel like people who go there are destined to go to the league.”

I assume this is the quote you're thinking he was fed poor information.

The 2020-21 UT team had three rookies get some run in the NBA last year alone.

I get that you want to talk about only guards who were drafted but that isn't what he said and it isn't what I said. The University of Texas puts a lot of players in the NBA.
On Texas “I know they want me to go down there soon so me and my dad will probably go down there in the next month maybe. They’ve been getting more known as a basketball school, and they’ve produced a lot of guards who are pros.” This quote

On Texas “I know they want me to go down there soon so me and my dad will probably go down there in the next month maybe. They’ve been getting more known as a basketball school, and they’ve produced a lot of guards who are pros.” This quote
Yeah I thought that quote was interesting. How many coaches ago was the last time they had a guard make it to the league?

Yeah I thought that quote was interesting. How many coaches ago was the last time they had a guard make it to the league?
Sheldon Mac played in the NBA. He played for Shaka Smart. Their current coach (Chris Beard) has 7 guards who played in the NBA from the last six years from Texas Tech.

Sheldon Mac played in the NBA. He played for Shaka Smart. Their current coach (Chris Beard) has 7 guards who played in the NBA from the last six years from Texas Tech.
You know what he meant!

There are plenty of ways to try and connect the dots, but Texas has not had GUARDS drafted by the NBA for a long time. Texas has not been considered a Guard school. It may become one with the coaching change, but that is not currently a FACT!

You know what he meant!

There are plenty of ways to try and connect the dots, but Texas has not had GUARDS drafted by the NBA for a long time. Texas has not been considered a Guard school. It may become one with the coaching change, but that is not currently a FACT!

Well apparently the player believes it to be fact, which is the most important thing.

Maybe someone should tweet at him and correct him 😂😂 (likely already done by someone lol)

Shaka Smart has nothing to do with Taison being interested in Texas. I'm not going go pick a part a kids interview, would have been better to say something about the Texas Tech guards under Beard in the nba

Top Minnesota guards Taison Chatman and Daniel Freitag are lighting up the spring AAU scene​

Totino-Grace's Taison Chatman and Jefferson's Daniel Freitag are the top players in their respective classes in Minnesota, but they haven't settled for that distinction this spring.

Chatman (Class of 2023) and Freitag (Class of 2024) are continuing a trend of point guards from the state proving to be among the nation's best.

As recently as the 2020 and 2022 classes, Jalen Suggs and Tre Holloman were No. 1 players in Minnesota as well. And now they have company in that elite fraternity.

"People had been sleeping on Minnesota basketball for a long time," Chatman said. "It seems like they're finally starting to wake up."

The Gophers have made Chatman and Freitag top priorities. Freitag also has scholarship offers from Wisconsin and Iowa State. Chatman received his first blue-blood offer from NCAA champion Kansas after Jayhawks coach Bill Self visited him last month.

"I just want to go out and show college coaches what I can really do," Chatman said. "I don't really compare my offers to a lot of people. I'm really just trying to figure out the best fit for me and my family where I can progress the most."

Gophers coach Ben Johnson finished 13-17 in his first season last year, but Chatman and Freitag attended several games and recognize a brighter future is ahead for the program.

"In the beginning of the year, they started off strong," Chatman said. "I know that shocked a lot of people and I really like what he's done with the program so far."

Go Gophers!!

Next big thing in Minnesota high school hoops: Totino-Grace guard Taison Chatman​

Chatman, ranked 27th by 247Sports.com and PrepHoops.com, has been a top priority for the Gophers since Ben Johnson and his staff took over last year.

National champion Kansas and Hall of Fame coach Bill Self showed up in the Twin Cities in April to offer Chatman — something not seen since the Jayhawks coveted Suggs a few years ago.

As much as Chatman welcomes offers from blue bloods, his main goal this AAU season is more team-oriented than personal. He could end up playing anywhere in college, including for his home state Big Ten program.

"I really like what he's doing with the program so far," Chatman said about Johnson and the Gophers.

Chatman's smooth shooting stroke and shifty handles seem so natural, along with his court vision. He picks his moments to blow by defenders and put them on highlights. He's a three-level scorer: threes, mid-range, slashing.

Less than a month after leading Totino-Grace to the Class 3A title at Williams Arena, Chatman made his mark with D1 Minnesota this spring and proved once again he belonged among the nation's elite playmakers. He averaged 19 points on 40% shooting from three during Adidas circuit play in April.

"He went to another level of scoring against higher level opponents," D1 Minnesota coach Al Harris said. "He's about as efficient as they come in the country. And then he has the size to compare with a lot of guards."

Chatman and his D1 Minnesota teammate Boden Kapke, a 6-11 junior from Holy Family, both have Gophers offers. They attended games at the Barn from behind the bench last season.

Chatman noticed fan excitement about the direction of the Gophers program under Johnson despite a 13-17 record in his first year. "A lot of people weren't expecting them to even do what they did with a whole new staff and basically a whole new team," he said, "So they definitely shocked me."

Go Gophers!!

Is he coming to MN?
Said something about coming if you quit posting your drivel on here. But in reality, he will make what he feels is the best decision for him and possibly his family if NIL money is involved which it most likely will be.

Highly regarded combo guard from Minnesota to make Kansas Jayhawks recruiting visit

Taison Chatman, a 6-foot-3, 175-pound senior-to-be combo guard from Totino-Grace High School in Fridley, Minnesota, is scheduled to take an official men’s basketball recruiting visit to Kansas on Saturday and Sunday, according to On3.com and Rivals.com. Chatman is ranked No. 26 in the recruiting Class of 2023 by 247sports.com, No. 63 by ESPN.com and On3.com and No, 69 by Rivals.com. His list of schools includes KU, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville, Marquette, Northwestern, Washington State, LSU, Ohio State, Virginia, UConn, Xavier, and others. Kansas extended a scholarship offer to Chatman on April 27 following his junior season in which he averaged 13.5 points, 7.0 assists and 7.0 rebounds a game for state champion Totino-Grace High (26-6). He plays for D1 Minnesota on the spring and summer AAU circuit.

“Chatman is the best player in the state of Minnesota in 2023 and is no doubt the Gophers’ top priority at the guard spot,” wrote Shay Wildeboor of Jayhawkslant.com. “Since the spring live period, the four-star guard is drawing a lot of new interest which has included a recent offer from the defending national champions, Kansas. More blueblood programs will continue to monitor Chatman throughout the summer.” Dan McDonald of Rivals.com wrote: “I love his size at 6-3 and athleticism for a point guard. He’s a talented scorer that also makes good decisions.”

Go Gophers!!

Who is sleeping on Minnesota basketball? The three kids going to Duke, the back to back top 5 picks, etc…..Chatman is not coming here. And that’s fine.
He may not, but he's also said he plans on taking an official here in the Fall, during a football game, my guess is either the opener or the Colorado game. Think the Gophers have a good shot here if they can offer a competent NIL deal

He may not, but he's also said he plans on taking an official here in the Fall, during a football game, my guess is either the opener or the Colorado game. Think the Gophers have a good shot here if they can offer a competent NIL deal
That’s the issue. Him taking an official here is good news though.

In light of the Jaden Rashada deal (football) what is a competitive NIL deal anymore?

NIL will be a key factor in his decision

In light of the Jaden Rashada deal (football) what is a competitive NIL deal anymore?
Unlimited Al's Breakfast, malts at Annie's, pizza from some place (is there good pizza in campus anymore?), condoms, and Plan B.

Who is sleeping on Minnesota basketball? The three kids going to Duke, the back to back top 5 picks, etc…..Chatman is not coming here. And that’s fine.
To be fair, the quote was "People had been sleeping on Minnesota basketball for a long time," Chatman said. "It seems like they're finally starting to wake up." [emphasis mine].

Maybe his thought was that before we had a number of guys blow up nationally, he thought that some quality players slipped through the cracks. Just playing devil's advocate. I'm just saying that I would not read too much into that.

To be fair, the quote was "People had been sleeping on Minnesota basketball for a long time," Chatman said. "It seems like they're finally starting to wake up." [emphasis mine].

Maybe his thought was that before we had a number of guys blow up nationally, he thought that some quality players slipped through the cracks. Just playing devil's advocate. I'm just saying that I would not read too much into that.
Sleeping really? Talk about not knowing what you’re talking about. Don’t believe everything your handlers tell you.

Sleeping really? Talk about not knowing what you’re talking about. Don’t believe everything your handlers tell you.

Really bizarre take. I think his point is that from a national perspective, basketball in Minnesota has been slept on and that’s true as there’s still quite a few that slip through the cracks and go onto have great college careers at mid majors. Don’t really understand why people are putting that quote in a negative light but I guess people see what they want to see.

Last edited:

Kansas also looking at 11th ranked CG Mikey Williams. I would think Kansas would take both as Mikey is not true PG

Top Bottom