All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

A great get. Jeff Jones must not have any family that resent the Gophers for not recruiting them in the 80's.

You guys are forgetting the most obvious starting RB for the gophers in 2014... Donnell Kirkwood. Yeah, the dude who was 1 or 2 big runs awa from reaching 1,000 yards his sophomore season this year.

He'll be the starting RB with a strong backup core of Rodrick, Jones, and Edwards.

Do you consider redshirting Jones that year?

You guys are forgetting the most obvious starting RB for the gophers in 2014... Donnell Kirkwood. Yeah, the dude who was 1 or 2 big runs awa from reaching 1,000 yards his sophomore season this year.

He'll be the starting RB with a strong backup core of Rodrick, Jones, and Edwards.

Only if he wants to redshirt!!!

Might be a little pre-mature to speculate on whether or not we will be red-shirting a player who still has a year of high school ball left before he even gets to college. It is a nice verbal and a good message to send to the other instate guys for 2014 but it is way to soon to start speculating on whether or not he will redshirt in 2014.

Good call. I always forget that Kirkwood was only a SO last year, I think it's because he played about the max amount allowed before he got a medical hardship waiver in 2010.

Considering Kirkwood and Williams can't run the length of the field without getting caught from behind, I would be fine with Jones and edwards taking some carries away from the two dough boys.

Until we have 5-6 OL that can stay healthy and push people around, we will see more of the same. We need 2,500 yards rushing next year and everything will be fine.

Considering Kirkwood and Williams can't run the length of the field without getting caught from behind, I would be fine with Jones and edwards taking some carries away from the two dough boys.

Big doesn't equate to fat. It's nice to have both styles in my opinion.

His ranking will be determined by if he can stay healthy or not. If he stays healthy and has a good season, he will be a 4 star.

If he has another soph season, 4 star. If he has another jr season it could drop.

His ranking will somewhat hinge upon where he takes his official visits.

Would you please take your pessimistic views elsewhere! Every post that I read of yours is negative as hell, what's your problem? "he's a soft verbal," this stupid post, among others! God I hope the administrators block you.

Would you please take your pessimistic views elsewhere! Every post that I read of yours is negative as hell, what's your problem? "he's a soft verbal," this stupid post, among others! God I hope the administrators block you.

I second the motion!

He'll say that Iowa thinks the other Washburn running back is better.

I'm sure he will. Speaking of that other Washburn back, I have seen them both play a few times, and physically, he is much more developed right now. Jones is leaner and faster though. I wouldn't mind seeing them both play for the Gophers!

This is a great get!

I liked the point someone else made about maybe this would be a spark to get more kids playing football in the city. Is it unusual that the Mpls and ST. Paul schools do not produce much football talent? My son wasn't interested in playing so I'm not very familiar with the programs, but I see park and rec teams playing a bit. Someone from Texas was explaining to me that MN doesn't pump the money into football for kids like the Southern states do (money for coaches, practices...).

I liked the point someone else made about maybe this would be a spark to get more kids playing football in the city. Is it unusual that the Mpls and ST. Paul schools do not produce much football talent? My son wasn't interested in playing so I'm not very familiar with the programs, but I see park and rec teams playing a bit. Someone from Texas was explaining to me that MN doesn't pump the money into football for kids like the Southern states do (money for coaches, practices...).
They produce a little bit of talent sporadically, but the teams are almost always bad because there isn't enough of it. What talent there is would probably be much better developed elsewhere (not a knock on the coaches in the city leagues, but the infrastructure just isn't there like your friend said).

Truth be told, most of us are pretty aware that Minnesota football is what it is. The commitment to football that exists in the Lake Conference is pretty much standard across the board in a football crazy state like Texas or even Ohio. Some of it is a simple lack of talent/demographics, but the obsession with football simply doesn't exist in the culture of Minnesota like it does elsewhere.

There's also, of course, an issue of finances in the city leagues.

My brother's team (1A Southern Minnesota School) scrimaged one of the St. Paul city school a couple years back. And there was an obvious talent gap between them and us(advantage them). However we dominted the lines and it was obvious we had better fundemental's and could just tell our kids had played more organized football. But driving home that day I thought to myself wow thats what scouts mean when they say "raw talent." Not saying thats how it is in all school's inside the 694, 494 loop just what I observed.

Let's not forget - the demographics of Mpls and St. Paul have changed a lot in the last 10-15 years. There has been a big influx of immigrants into the school systems. (NOTE- this is not some Tea Party rant) A lot of the new residents and students are hispanic, somali, Hmong - cultures that have no experience with (American) Football.
I know a guy who coached basketball at a Mpls school, and he said it's hard to get kids to come out for sports. There are just fewer kids who want to play, or have the athletic ability to play.

Money factors in as well. The suburban schools have well-funded booster programs, feeder systems, youth programs, etc. the inner-city schools don't.

And open-enrollment has also had a big impact on the mpls & St. Paul schools - a lot of kids have open-enrolled out of the inner cities to the suburbs.

All good points. Sorry I sidetracked us for a little bit :). Very excited about Jeff committing!

Love this kid!

Also at the signing day ceremony was Washburn junior Jeff Jones, who recently committed to the Gophers. The four-star nationally rated halfback has to wait a year until he can officially sign his full scholarship offer. He said his early verbal commitment was necessary to help the Gophers secure Minnesota's best talent.

"There are a lot of kids from Minnesota we need to get to commit," Jones said. "We can run this city."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/190119431.html

Go Gophers!!

"We can run this city."

YesJackNicholson.gif

Love this kid!

Also at the signing day ceremony was Washburn junior Jeff Jones, who recently committed to the Gophers. The four-star nationally rated halfback has to wait a year until he can officially sign his full scholarship offer. He said his early verbal commitment was necessary to help the Gophers secure Minnesota's best talent.

"There are a lot of kids from Minnesota we need to get to commit," Jones said. "We can run this city."

Go Gophers!!

Reading that made me tingly, and not only in my bathing suit areas.

Love this kid!

Go Gophers!!

love jeff jones already. great quote. would love the gophers to get back to running the football scene in minnesota and the twin cities like they did for nearly 80 years until those over-paid millionaire pros starting playing in purple.

love jeff jones already. great quote. would love the gophers to get back to running the football scene in minnesota and the twin cities like they did for nearly 80 years until those over-paid millionaire pros starting playing in purple.

Love the attitude from Jones as well. But honestly Gopher Football will never run the football scene in Minnesota, it is a Vikings state. They are for sure Batman and we are the side-kick #2 Robin. With that being said, we have the potential to be a badass Robin (haaaaaa I can't believe I just typed that)

Love the attitude from Jones as well. But honestly Gopher Football will never run the football scene in Minnesota, it is a Vikings state. They are for sure Batman and we are the side-kick #2 Robin. With that being said, we have the potential to be a badass Robin (haaaaaa I can't believe I just typed that)

Lately it has been more like (Luverne) and Shirley. Batman and Robin would be nice!

Some great comments by Jeff Jones in this interview with Doogie:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...mmit_Jeff_Jones_It_was_an_easy_decision020813

A few great comments:

Why the Gophers?

The Gophers staff is a great staff. There's a lot of people who look at the Gophers and where they stand now. ... In the future, I picture the Gophers doing great things and I want to be a part of that. I was born here and I grew up here.

Why decide so early?

It was an easy decision. Some people say it's the hardest decision of your life, but when you have a staff and a coach like Coach (Jerry) Kill, it's an easy decision. This takes the pressure off of me. I can now focus on school and getting better on the field.

Your commitment could help convince other recruits to get on board.

Exactly. That's another reason I committed early. I want the Minnesota kids who Minnesota wants to be able to say, 'Jeff Jones chose this school, so it must be a good option.' I want them to come talk to me and ask why I chose it.

Go Gophers!!

I Love this Kid!!!

This is exactly what the Gophers need! The best MN prospect committing early and being on board and just as he indicates let the other kids ask him why he chose the U!!!

IMO Jones has the potential to be a program changer provided of course he puts in the required work. The talent is obvious.
I always said Floyd could have made Brewster's career here a success, Jones just might be that caliber when all is said and done.
We can only hope he continues to improve and sticks with his loyal commitment.

Top Bottom