All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Holy *&^%&% Batman!!!

Hopefully this will be a big step for us closing the borders next year on what looks to be a pretty good class.

Yeeee-Haaaaw

As an out-stater, what's the level of competition Washburn faces?
Not good. The low quality of football played by the city schools has long been a topic of conversation. But that's not an indictment on Jeff. Hageman was also a Washburn kid, and he's turned out ok.

2014 Recruiting Year

Minnesota's 2014 high school recruiting class is a very good one. If we could recruit four or at least three of these players identified below by the Strib next year, we will be in VERY good shape. We will then look back at 2014 as the year that moved us to the next level.

Six players to watch in the Class of 2014.

J.C. Hassenauer, East Ridge, C: At 6-2, 285 pounds, has great leverage, quick feet and innate football smarts.

Jeffrey Jones, Minneapolis Washburn, RB: A threat between the tackles and on the edge. At 6-foot and 190 pounds, he's the state's top recruit.

Frank Ragnow, Chanhassen, OT: More than 20 BCS schools are interested. Has the requisite frame (6-6, 290 pounds) and surprising agility.

Andrew Stelter, Owatonna, DE: Minnesota and Nebraska are at the top of the list for this physically gifted (6-4, 240) defensive prospect.

Reid Travis, DeLaSalle, QB: Basketball is his first love but his size (6-7), strong arm and athleticism have football coaches intrigued.

Connor Wilkie, Andover, QB: Breakout junior season has the strong-armed, 6-5 205-pounder climbing recruiting charts.

by JIM PAULSEN Strib

One Down!

I couldn't tell you for sure but my hometown, Waseca, beat them this past season and we went 4-5 in AAA, so the team overall isn't very good.

Competition is horrible in the City. Washburn 16-1 against MPLS. schools the last three years. 0-3 against St. Paul Central in the City Championship game. They are 4-6 against non-conference teams. They are at best a good AAA teams. They can play with those teams. Has to be hard to evaluate a kid against City competition. If you noticed, he had some nice plays on film again Holy Family which is a respectable program in AAAA.

WOW! Fantastic news. Jeff Jones was a player that the Gophers REALLY needed to land. With our improving OL and great prospects on the line, Jones should have big spaces to run through. Great news.

WOW! Fantastic news. Jeff Jones was a player that the Gophers REALLY needed to land. With our improving OL and great prospects on the line, Jones should have big spaces to run through. Great news.

Bring in Ragnow and Connor Mayes or Hassenauer, and this class will be pushing top 1/2 of Big Ten.

The 2014 class for both Football and Basketball will be huge for both programs. Could really turn the tide maroon and gold.

Did anybody else see it?....

.....the light at the end of the tunnel?

About as excited and optimistic about Gopher football as I have been at least in 3 or 4 years.

Competition is horrible in the City. Washburn 16-1 against MPLS. schools the last three years. 0-3 against St. Paul Central in the City Championship game. They are 4-6 against non-conference teams. They are at best a good AAA teams. They can play with those teams. Has to be hard to evaluate a kid against City competition. If you noticed, he had some nice plays on film again Holy Family which is a respectable program in AAAA.

Yeah I agree, FWIW Waseca is a small town (about 8,000 people) in SC Minnesota smack dab in between Mankato and Owatonna and we are not historically very good at football. None of this is anything against Jones, I think he is a tremendous talent, I was just giving my 2 cents on the question asked.

Not good. The low quality of football played by the city schools has long been a topic of conversation. But that's not an indictment on Jeff. Hageman was also a Washburn kid, and he's turned out ok.

I am also an outstater, out in West Central MN, 9-Man country. Haha. :)

I'm also unfamiliar with the different levels of competition within the Twin Cities. How much better are the suburban teams over the city teams like Washburn, etc.?

Lots of talk about his grades around the net, is he a qualifying risk?

That article states that this is his first 4 star recruit. KSTP must be forgetting Isaac Hayes, Jonah Pirsig, Andre McDonald, and Jamel Harbison.

I do not think any of those guys were 'unanimous' 4-star recruits by all the recruiting services. I wonder if that is what he is referring to?

That article states that this is his first 4 star recruit. KSTP must be forgetting Isaac Hayes, Jonah Pirsig, Andre McDonald, and Jamel Harbison.
None of those were rivals 4 stars. That's probably all they looked at.

I am also an outstater, out in West Central MN, 9-Man country. Haha. :)

I'm also unfamiliar with the different levels of competition within the Twin Cities. How much better are the suburban teams over the city teams like Washburn, etc.?

I would say it is boarder line unsafe for City teams to play any 6A or 5A teams. Your talking programs with 2-3 times the numbers of players.

Yeah I agree, FWIW Waseca is a small town (about 8,000 people) in SC Minnesota smack dab in between Mankato and Owatonna and we are not historically very good at football. None of this is anything against Jones, I think he is a tremendous talent, I was just giving my 2 cents on the question asked.

Fair enough, but 8000 isn't a small town. Maybe in Connecticut it would be, but not in Minnesota.

Nice get. Need to get multiple impact players...here is one. Hopefully we add to this at some other skill positions.

Sweet....is all I can say! He could become a real drawing
card for others who want to help the Gophers WIN!

Congrat's to Coach Kill and his staff!

Yeah, for OL's like Frank Ragnow and Alex Mayes' lil borther Connor. Beasts!

This could be huge for MPLS football as well. A skill player from the public city school makes it. Tapeh the last?

Top Bottom