All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Why commit if you plan to take visits to other schools? If you commit to NU and then take an official visit to another school NU dumps you. This happened to a NU commit named Davison who visited and later committed to Cal.

Because you gain nothing from that approach.

Why commit if you plan to take visits to other schools? If you commit to NU and then take an official visit to another school NU dumps you. This happened to a NU commit named Davison who visited and later committed to Cal.

Unless a kid is a blue chipper he'd be a fool to not "commit" somewhere as a reservation.

A lot of programs can't wait around and risk missing out on a position of need, so they will go with someone lower on their board if they know they are a sure thing.

Unless a kid is a blue chipper he'd be a fool to not "commit" somewhere as a reservation.

A lot of programs can't wait around and risk missing out on a position of need, so they will go with someone lower on their board if they know they are a sure thing.

I think the concept of a commitment as a place holder or reservation gets lost on fans. Even when they see guys commit and de-commit over and over again there are still fans that seem to think a verbal commitment actually means the kid is a lock to end up at their school. Not saying that is what Jones is doing or that he won't end up signing here in a year but there is so much that can happen that makes it kind of silly to think this means he will 100% be signing with the maroon and gold one year from now.

Off the top of my head, I cannot recall any local kid that committed to us and then switched to a "helmet school." If he's a star fu**er, he probably wouldn't have committed to us in the first place. It seems that we usually lose our commits to other teams on our plane of existence. Full disclosure...I could be forgetting someone. I'm on the drunk side of par.

Off the top of my head, I cannot recall any local kid that committed to us and then switched to a "helmet school." If he's a star fu**er, he probably wouldn't have committed to us in the first place. It seems that we usually lose our commits to other teams on our plane of existence. Full disclosure...I could be forgetting someone. I'm on the drunk side of par.

James Larinitus was a local kid who commited to us and bolted for a helmet school.

GopherHomer said:

Nate Andrews.

Sorry, missed that word. Didn't Lauranitis commit here before moving on to OSU?

Pretty sure he verballed but no matter what it was thought he was signed sealed delivered to the U of M right up until shortly before signing day. The bottom line is a verbal is nice and certainly has value but in the end in the truest sense it means nothing because the player can change their mind at any time with no real negative ramifications to them.

Didn't Laurinitis bail when his position coach or Def coord left?

Fair enough. I should certainly hope and expect that the players believe in him.

It's not that I don't "believe" in Coach Kill either, however. I think he's a fine coach and certainly an improvement over Brewster in terms of pretty much everything but selling used cars. I just don't know if he's capable of pulling off the herculean effort to turn this program around to where we would all like it to be, but that's a pretty tall task for anyone, let alone someone who has no prior experience at this level. I'm fine with going along for the ride 99% of the time and enjoying the process, I just usually have a much more cautious approach to things than a lot of people on this board, often because I think they think with their hearts and project from there.

As you said to me, "Fair enough." I know that we both want the same success for the Gophers but we have different comfort levels as where we are now and to Jerry's ability to apply what he has done at lower levels here. I suspect one of the reasons that I may be little more comfortable with Jerry Kill than you may be is that I see in Jerry a person who is a well seasoned veteran in turning around programs. There is no reason why he can't get the job done at this level. That doesn't mean that it is guaranteed that he will, but I like our chances.

One of the myths people like to perpetuate about Jerry is that he can't recruit at this level. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know some people will say that Jerry's second full recruiting class was ranked last in the Big Ten and that this just confirms it. The truth is that other than the top tier teams the rest of the teams were statistically very close to each other in a ranking system that is far from perfect. Many knowledgeable people have commented that Kill and his staff were able to both recruit for their needs and compete very well against some very tough competition for them.

I particularly found it very encouraging to see how well organized, focused, and hard working they were. If Mason had put in half the effort that this staff did he would still be coaching here. I expect that the myth that coach Kill can't recruit will be further debunked with the 2014 class which should be his best class so far.

P.S. I also found it encouraging by the number of good kids who wanted to walk on this fall. Especially, that some of them had scholarship offers but still preferred to walk-on.

One of the myths people like to perpetuate about Jerry is that he can't recruit at this level. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know some people will say that Jerry's second full recruiting class was ranked last in the Big Ten and that this just confirms it. The truth is that other than the top tier teams the rest of the teams were statistically very close to each other in a ranking system that is far from perfect. Many knowledgeable people have commented that Kill and his staff were able to both recruit for their needs and compete very well against some very tough competition for them.

I agree with your entire post. For the "star watchers":

OSU 2
MCH 5
NEB 17
MSU 38
PSU 41
IND 42
ILL 47
NW 52
IOW 52
PUR 55
WIS 56
MIN 61

Even if folks believe in these star ratings, the difference between #38 and #61 is inconsequential. Most of the 4* players snapped up by the "bottom 9" were rated 5.8. Minnesota had nine 3* players rated 5.6 or 5.7. Are players really so much better that 0.1 of a point means the difference between a 4* and a 3*?

Go ahead, debate...

OSU 2
MCH 5
NEB 17
MSU 38
PSU 41
IND 42
ILL 47
NW 52
IOW 52
PUR 55
WIS 56
MIN 61

Even if folks believe in these star ratings, the difference between #38 and #61 is inconsequential. Most of the 4* players snapped up by the "bottom 9" were rated 5.8. Minnesota had nine 3* players rated 5.6 or 5.7. Are players really so much better that 0.1 of a point means the difference between a 4* and a 3*?

Go ahead, debate...

Does anyone know why Rivals uses the ratings 5.2-6.1? If instead we used a 1 through 10 rating system, a guy rated 7 would be a 4* while a guy rated 6 would be a 3*.

OSU 2
MCH 5
NEB 17
MSU 38
PSU 41
IND 42
ILL 47
NW 52
IOW 52
PUR 55
WIS 56
MIN 61

Go ahead, debate...

+1

All the guys ahead of Jones have much better offers from big time schools, which is most likely why he is ranked lower then them. Talent wise hopefully he plays like a top 100 recruit

This kid will change his comittment. He will be top five back by the end of next years HS football year. Watch the utube videos. The kid is a star in the making. Our best hope is he gets injured, not severeely, but it limits his play.

Hope he gets injured? That's just really dumb. Lets let this all play out. He is saying all the right things now and I think he will remain golden in the end.

Why all the hand wringing guys? He is committed to our program now. If he changes his mind, we won't be able to do anything about it anyway. Let's just be happy that we have the first big in state recruit excited to play for the Maroon and Gold!

This kid will change his comittment. He will be top five back by the end of next years HS football year. Watch the utube videos. The kid is a star in the making. Our best hope is he gets injured, not severeely, but it limits his play.

What a great thought. Exactly what kind of injury are you hoping for?

Here's to hoping he suffers multiple concussions! But not enough to severly affect his playing. Just enough to get other schools to back off.

Assume the worst, hope for the best. This is what the past 20 years of Minnesota (pro and gophers) sports has done to us.

Assume the worst, hope for the best. This is what the past 20 years of Minnesota (pro and gophers) sports has done to us.

Sums up that nasa post perfectly. But that's one of the worst posts I've ever seen. You are telling people to hope for an injury to a kid committed to our school, who is from here, who's done nothing but indicate he wants to be here even going back a few years, who is one of the top players in the entire country, and says he will recruit other kids to come here. We're THAT jaded, it's sad.

Top Bottom