All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

It isn't the speculation that is the issue it is the number of people posting here acting like they have any clue what is really going on in this situation. The only people that know are the coaches and those closest to Jones. The rest are just guessing on this score or that score or what the motives are with sending things to the clearinghouse and what that means about his status. We have "expert" after "expert" in here saying he is a lock to get in or a lock to end up in JC or a lock to end up in prep school or a lock to end up in Canada....ok maybe not the last one.

They all seem to think they have a handle on one of the most confusing systems out there....113 pages later we still basically know nothing outside of the fact that his ACT score officially fell short of the mark. Can't wait till the final word finally does come out, but with the clearinghouse involved there is probably a good chance that we won't know anything until just before fall camp starts if even at that point. Wasn't it the clearinghouse that jacked MG around and declared him ineligible after practices had started based on the change in his test cores?
I would consider that speculation. We do know for a fact that Coach Jenkins has said that he needs to raise his GPA by 0.2 though. That is concrete.

Well, 15 years anyway.......see Thomas Tapeh (1999).

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/374836-1999-gopher-football-recruiting-class

Scroll down to his bio. He was a beast that was limited by (foot?) injuries until his last year as a Gopher.

Tapeh is a classic illustration of why I always have high hopes and low expectations for Gopher football. Something always seems to happen and we seldom have enough depth. Maybe Coach Kill will change that. (More of those high hopes.:))
Hayo Carpenter was a 5 star on scout as well so i guess he would be considered more highly regarded than Jeff.

I am reminded of the adage, "The object in your mirror is closer than it appears."

I am reminded of the adage, "The object in your mirror is closer than it appears."

And my big new stud pup can screw over your little bitch pup, at least for the next three months until he loses his Johnies. And he is NOT gonna go to the Vet to get tutored!!!

This is true of the regular courses, how confident are you, that it's true of an online summer school course? If it's not pre approved, the Clearinghouse needs to check, that it matches the core requirements.

The core course requirements are broad and forgiving. There are no stipulations on on-line vs traditional format.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/CoreCourseInfo/Core_Course_Definition.pdf

Further information: https://web1.ncaa.org/hsportal/exec/links?linksSubmit=ShowActiveLinks

I pity the the "too cool for school" contributors. This is obviously an important part of your leisure time or some of you wouldn't be posting on here a dozen times or more per day. You care about Jeff jones or you wouldn't click on this thread. Period. He's important to the program. How can you argue otherwise??:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

If YOU don't know what you're talking about then so be it. Don't open your mouth/type a comment.

I am a grown man and care very much whether JJ gets admitted. Why is that wrong? I root for a CFB that has not seen greatness in my lifetime. I spend $$$ every year attending games. I travel to away games. I spend countless hours researching and reading about my team. Yet, I'm supposed to feel embarrassed that I read, discuss, and yes speculate on a recruit who might be the biggest game changer for the Gophers in many many years? SMH. Sometimes I think folks are on the wrong message board.

I pity the the "too cool for school" contributors. This is obviously an important part of your leisure time or some of you wouldn't be posting on here a dozen times or more per day. You care about Jeff jones or you wouldn't click on this thread. Period. He's important to the program. How can you argue otherwise??:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

If YOU don't know what you're talking about then so be it. Don't open your mouth/type a comment.

+1

I am a grown man and care very much whether JJ gets admitted. Why is that wrong? I root for a CFB that has not seen greatness in my lifetime. I spend $$$ every year attending games. I travel to away games. I spend countless hours researching and reading about my team. Yet, I'm supposed to feel embarrassed that I read, discuss, and yes speculate on a recruit who might be the biggest game changer for the Gophers in many many years? SMH. Sometimes I think folks are on the wrong message board.

I don't think it is so much what you are saying here. It is some of the "way out of left field" crap that has made it into this thread at times where the whole "ridiculous" comment came from. I am just as big of a Gopher football fan as yourself and also have a financial investment in the program. Guess the whole constant speculation part of it is just not as much for me and I don't personally enjoy partaking in it like others obviously do. I know that is also part of the life-blood of college football (i.e. following recruiting very closely, speculation, constant debate, etc.) To each his own. Cheers. :D

Of course we all care about what happens with JJ and that IS exactly why we come to this particular thread hoping to get some concrete information on whether or not he will be suiting up for the maroon and gold this fall. Instead we get post after post of broad speculation and wild guess or pointless bumps with no new information. It is what it is, just seems like a lot of people think they know way more about what is going on then they actually could possibly know given the information that is out there.

I suggest that you use the portal and look at the FAQ under non traditional courses and read about online and credit recovery classes. I really like the part about, Credit Recovery classes, may trigger additional review. It's easy to understand why no one at the U is saying anything.

My mobile won't open that page (and some others) for some reason. Please cut and paste. Thanks!

By the way, are we sure he took on-line courses?

I did find the following, and she does seem like the elusive expert:

To determine eligibility of incoming student-athletes, the NCAA does accept (within the process of the course reviews) a number of high-quality online courses as long as they are college preparatory in nature. This means the online course has evidence of a teacher working with a student to provide 1) instruction that is college preparatory in nature, 2) assessments that are college preparatory in nature with responsive feedback on how to improve toward college-readiness, 3) a syllabus, proposed timeline and sequence of lessons that a student must master to complete the course. The NCAA does support mastery-based online courses that show the nature of instruction is college preparatory and the nature of assessments are performance-based, demonstrating through a performance of the student the knowledge, skills and competencies required for each lesson. The NCAA does allow students the ability to move at a flexible pace – but that pacing must be “negotiated pacing” (they are fine with students moving at a flexible pace, but it must be within a defined timeframe) within the framework of expectations for the course. There is a questionnaire that may be completed by educational institutions that asks questions about the instruction, teaching models, pacing, timeframes and other important details that examine quality of online and non-traditional courses.

The NCAA allows for diversity in the offerings of non-traditional courses, and there is no one size fits all set of answers to the questionnaire, but the schools need to be able to provide a reasonable response for the typical amount of time that a student takes to finish a particular online course, provide the nature of instruction, interaction and the nature of assessments that demonstrate a college preparatory curriculum. After reviewing these materials, the NCAA may determine whether programs are college preparatory in nature and align with the NCAA’s core curriculum requirements. When the student completes such of course, they should have evidence of the student learning at a college preparatory level...

...As an example of what isn’t qualifying (in my book) as college prep — An example of an online/blended course that would not be approved by the NCAA is a course in which interaction with the instructor occurs only on an as-needed basis or one in which the interaction is supervisory in nature with no instructive feedback to the student. Similarly, courses that can be completed in abbreviated timeframes with no agreed-upon pacing or instructive interaction would likely not be approved by the NCAA either.

Thank you for continuing to ask important questions around college preparedness and academic readiness for students. Please let us know how we can provide assistance.

Signed,

Susan Patrick, International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)

http://www.competencyworks.org/2013...online-courses-or-competency-based-education/

I don't remember there being online courses. I don't feel like going all the way back to look for it but the first person who broke the news about Jeff taking summer courses was Shama and he did not say anything about online courses i believe.

I found this NCAA document on credit recovery courses.

http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2010/10/07/node-3241/ncaa_credit.pdf

There is nothing in here that shakes my belief that the courses should qualify, unless the school or counselors or coaches knowingly had him taking courses that were remedial instead of comparable to regular courses. Nothing wrong with taking remedial courses, but why then imply that these are another path to qualification. Is this staff blowing smoke?

I find that hard to believe.

I believe they specifically stated he was re-taking courses which would imply they are the same course as the original, ie college prep. Thus should qualify under any of the standards I've posted unless the school is violating it's own credit recovery policy.. If I'm wrong please point it out.

How hard is it to understand that non traditional and credit recovery classes can be subject to additional review. All the NCAA is saying is that the reserve the right to take a second look. With the educational standards in MN, it's to be expected that such courses will pass the NCAA's scrutiny, but nothing is certain, until the process done.
I did try to cut and paste but couldn't.

All I'm trying to say is that it would be highly unusual for A) the courses to not already be approved, or B) the counselors to advocate taking courses they know will not qualify based on crystal clear criteria, or C) the coaches playing along that Jeff still has a chance to qualify if he does not. Someone at the team/university level must know in great and intimate detail how the academic qualification process works and has been working this problem for the last 6+ months.

I don't remember there being online courses. I don't feel like going all the way back to look for it but the first person who broke the news about Jeff taking summer courses was Shama and he did not say anything about online courses i believe.

Yes it was reported to be online courses.

How hard is it to understand that non traditional and credit recovery classes can be subject to additional review. All the NCAA is saying is that the reserve the right to take a second look. With the educational standards in MN, it's to be expected that such courses will pass the NCAA's scrutiny, but nothing is certain, until the process done.
I did try to cut and paste but couldn't.

+1

If they scrutinize courses at places like Prime Prep, I would imagine they scrutinize Internet courses.

All I'm trying to say is that it would be highly unusual for A) the courses to not already be approved, or B) the counselors to advocate taking courses they know will not qualify based on crystal clear criteria, or C) the coaches playing along that Jeff still has a chance to qualify if he does not. Someone at the team/university level must know in great and intimate detail how the academic qualification process works and has been working this problem for the last 6+ months.

+1. Logical. I tend to agree with this view.

Jones not likely to see game action this fall, even if he qualifies academically

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/268506852.html

Jeff Jones is not expected to see game action for the Gophers this fall, even if he qualifies academically, according to people close to the situation.
If Jones, the prized recruit from Minneapolis Washburn, clears the NCAA academic clearinghouse in coming days, he would likely redshirt. With practice set to open next Friday, the Gophers already have strong depth at running back depth, and Jones could use the year to get settled academically.
Three sources said Thursday that they’re still optimistic Jones will end up at the university this fall, but Iowa Western Community College remains an option. His standing is still in flux, as his summer school classes stretched into late July.
The Gophers hope to have an answer on whether Jones clears the NCAA clearinghouse and gains his scholarship before practice opens Aug. 1, but it could take until the following week. The team is awaiting word on Jones’ NCAA eligibility, and there’s also the question of whether he’ll make it through the university’s admissions office.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jeff Jones not likely to see game action for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> this fall, even if he qualifies academically: <a href="http://t.co/oOmKYwvSyF">http://t.co/oOmKYwvSyF</a></p>— JoeChristensen (@JoeCStrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/statuses/492408671662788608">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's good to hear, I always wanted him to redshirt his first year. We are loaded at RB and it would give him a little more time to solidify his grades before he becomes a huge contributor for us. Hopefully he gets in, but I've been preparing myself for the worst.

Jones not likely to see game action this fall, even if he qualifies academically

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/268506852.html

Jeff Jones is not expected to see game action for the Gophers this fall, even if he qualifies academically, according to people close to the situation.
If Jones, the prized recruit from Minneapolis Washburn, clears the NCAA academic clearinghouse in coming days, he would likely redshirt. With practice set to open next Friday, the Gophers already have strong depth at running back depth, and Jones could use the year to get settled academically.
Three sources said Thursday that they’re still optimistic Jones will end up at the university this fall, but Iowa Western Community College remains an option. His standing is still in flux, as his summer school classes stretched into late July.
The Gophers hope to have an answer on whether Jones clears the NCAA clearinghouse and gains his scholarship before practice opens Aug. 1, but it could take until the following week. The team is awaiting word on Jones’ NCAA eligibility, and there’s also the question of whether he’ll make it through the university’s admissions office.

It appear that the following option may be available even though an "expert" on the GopherHole stated this one wasn't available: Posted by: Joe Christensen "It’s also possible that Jones will make it to the university as a partial qualifier. In that scenario, the NCAA would allow the Gophers to give Jones his scholarship, but he wouldn't be eligible to practice or compete for one year."

Who can you trust if you can't trust the GopherHole?:rolleyes:

I call baloney - he qualifies and he plays in 2014.

Was thinking the same thing. Hard to imagine him redshirting. I think our talent at RB is slightly overblown a bit. I like Cobb a lot, but he still has limitations. Kirkwood is very average, and Williams is inconsistent on and off the field. Adding Edwards will help, but the idea that Jones redshirts because we don't exactly need him is absurd. People are acting like we have Barber, Maroney, and Russell at RB a la 2004 or something.

Now if he redshirts based solely due to academic issues/progress and to get acclimated to college life and all that stuff, fine, I can believe that. But don't tell me he redshirts due to our loaded and talented backfield. Our RB situation is good now (not as good as some are making it out to be), could be great with Jones in the mix.

It appear that the following option may be available even though an "expert" on the GopherHole stated this one wasn't available: Posted by: Joe Christensen "It’s also possible that Jones will make it to the university as a partial qualifier. In that scenario, the NCAA would allow the Gophers to give Jones his scholarship, but he wouldn't be eligible to practice or compete for one year."

Who can you trust if you can't trust the GopherHole?:rolleyes:

Honestly, being a partial qualifier might best for everyone. Jones might need the year to settle into college acedemics and hopefully he'll still have access to the football tutors. I'd personally rather see him take a year to adjust to college and then have 3 or 4 years on the team just pushed off a year, than have another Andre Mcdonald situation.

Top Bottom