All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

That's not news. That is just Joe C's opinion on whether Jeff will play or not which is no better than an informed gopher fan. It's not like the coaches have said whether he would redshirt or not or how much he will play. Tom Lemming believes Jeff will be a 4 year starter and according to Tom Luginbill "I've broadcasted a couple of games with the University of Minnesota and this is an offensive defining prospect, a player they don't currenty have on their roster." Now I don't think he will start but I would be surprised if he couldn't beat out Donnell and would not be shocked if he beat out Roderick either. Running back is a position where true freshman can easily make an impact and we can still get him the ball even if it is not at RB. Contrary to what Joe C said Jeff actually has been attending captains practice and wouldn't be any farther behind than the other freshman. The only thing I really got out that was that 3 sources "remain optimistic" which we kind of already knew.

Coaches will never tell a FR kid they are going play w/o making them earn it. Kill has always played FR that look ready in Fall camp. If JJ is there and will help the team, he will play. If not, he won't. They aren't going to hand him anything, but I believe he will not have a difficult time earning it as I think he is on a different level than the others. Coaches saying they may redshirt him, or any FR, is not news.

Honestly, being a partial qualifier might best for everyone. Jones might need the year to settle into college acedemics and hopefully he'll still have access to the football tutors. I'd personally rather see him take a year to adjust to college and then have 3 or 4 years on the team just pushed off a year, than have another Andre Mcdonald situation.

Because he's a drug addict??

Because he's a drug addict??

No, as in trying to stay on the team. Maybe different reasons for those struggles but the same potential result. Also, he's the last huge Minnesota/Minneapolis grown recruit so it'd be even more unfortunate to see it happen again.

Coaches will never tell a FR kid they are going play w/o making them earn it. Kill has always played FR that look ready in Fall camp. If JJ is there and will help the team, he will play. If not, he won't. They aren't going to hand him anything, but I believe he will not have a difficult time earning it as I think he is on a different level than the others. Coaches saying they may redshirt him, or any FR, is not news.

I have no proof but i am confident that Phil Nelson was promised FR playing time. Promise may have gone as far as 'if ready you'll start at Camp Randall.'

When is the decision making deadline? Or are we just at the mercy of the NCAA and there is no deadline?

When is the decision making deadline? Or are we just at the mercy of the NCAA and there is no deadline?

Supposedly the team expects to know before practice starts. The Joe C article said we'd know by August 1st. So less than a week now.

Supposedly the team expects to know before practice starts. The Joe C article said we'd know by August 1st. So less than a week now.

The Gophers hope to have an answer on whether Jones clears the NCAA clearinghouse and gains his scholarship before practice opens Aug. 1, but it could take until the following week.

The Gophers hope to have an answer on whether Jones clears the NCAA clearinghouse and gains his scholarship before practice opens Aug. 1, but it could take until the following week.

Oops, my bad. Two weeks out then.

I will reserve my comments about whether or not he should play as a frosh when he is actually admitted to school. If we ever get to that point.

I hope so.

I agree that if he is head and shoulders above the guys on the roster he would play as a true freshman. I do think however that if he is close to the other guys that are already here the coaches would certainly like to redshirt him in order to give him a year to get acclimated to college and get his academics in order so that he can stay eligible his entire Gopher career. RB is certainly a position where a freshman can succeed right away but he would probably benefit from being able to sit out for a year before getting thrown into the fire.

Of course all of this discussion is pointless until we know if he will even be on the squad this fall.

How many more posts before we know anything from the clearinghouse? 3-400? Can this be any more silly for a kid who has not played a down in scrimmage or even arrived on campus?

I have no proof but i am confident that Phil Nelson was promised FR playing time. Promise may have gone as far as 'if ready you'll start at Camp Randall.'

Actually he was supposed to be red shirted per the understanding with the family but they were forced to play him because of Gray's injury.

How many more posts before we know anything from the clearinghouse? 3-400? Can this be any more silly for a kid who has not played a down in scrimmage or even arrived on campus?

What's silly about it? The fact that we all want the Big Ten's highest rated offensive incoming recruit to qualify so he can play for our team? This thread is a quick way to see if there's been any recent developments, it's that simple.

What's silly about it? The fact that we all want the Big Ten's highest rated offensive incoming recruit to qualify so he can play for our team? This thread is a quick way to see if there's been any recent developments, it's that simple.

How is that working for you?:rolleyes:

Don't like it, don't read this thread or post in it. Quite simple.

Don't like it, don't read this thread or post in it. Quite simple.

It amazes me that posters don't understand this. What amazes me more is their ability to not see how stupid they look when they take the time to click on and then post in a thread that they deem as 'silly' or not thread worthy.

I'm sure the mods will change the thread title, and hopefully put out a plume of white smoke when he's cleared. That will be your sign that it is safe to return to this thread.

See you then.

It amazes me that posters don't understand this. What amazes me more is their ability to not see how stupid they look when they take the time to click on and then post in a thread that they deem as 'silly' or not thread worthy.

I complain about threads all the time, but only when they have nothing to do with the Gophers (usually somebody pushing their 2nd cousin's ex-wife's nephew in Buttplug, ND for a scholarship or some garbage like that). Anyone who would think even for a second that this thread isn't Gophers-related (and in fact, very vital to the Gophers) is clueless.

Heaven forbid people post things about Jeffrey Jones in the all things Jeffrey Jones thread.

This isn't the "Jeffrey Jones did/(not) get cleared thread" I'm sure that one will be created when/if it happens. You should EXPECT this kind of discussion on a discussion board thread entitled "All Things Jeffrey Jones"

not as much to talk about once he's playing. Sportstalk is about speculation, not review.

yet 20 pages of speculative circle-jerk about whether an online class is the same as a classroom class doesn't seem stupid at all. Seeing a new post and hoping it contains news rather than some arcane speculation gets you labeled as too cool for school

We may just need an entirely new thread when it becomes 100% official just so everyone can see the news. Until than just except that posters including myself are going to speculate on whether he will redshirt or not and what he needs to do/what clearing house is likely to rule etc. Some of us actually find it very interesting. Tip: Never click on this thread hoping for news if wait what! was the last poster.

cdOiEXS.gif

yet 20 pages of speculative circle-jerk about whether an online class is the same as a classroom class doesn't seem stupid at all. Seeing a new post and hoping it contains news rather than some arcane speculation gets you labeled as too cool for school

There lies the rub! The reality is that reading the same thing over and over again is extremely boring. I liked the movie "Groundhog Day" but waking up each day and seeing the same comments here is nowhere as entertaining as the movie.

We may just need an entirely new thread when it becomes 100% official just so everyone can see the news. Until than just except that posters including myself are going to speculate on whether he will redshirt or not and what he needs to do/what clearing house is likely to rule etc. Some of us actually find it very interesting. Tip: Never click on this thread hoping for news if wait what! was the last poster.

+1 God I wished you had told me that a lot earlier!

I love all speculation talk no matter how repetitive. A place to talk/speculate on Gopher Football is what GH is about. No rules on what should/should not be included. Different strokes for different folks.

I think we should just find someone else. Whether or not this kid plays, I will still show up, drink beer and have fun. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend my money watching student/athletes who are legitimate in the classroom and try really hard on the field.

I think we should just find someone else. Whether or not this kid plays, I will still show up, drink beer and have fun. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend my money watching student/athletes who are legitimate in the classroom and try really hard on the field.

I get what you're saying, and I might agree with you if Jones was not an in-state kid. Outside of being a very talented kid that can obviously help our team, I just think it's always good to have examples of in-state kids that can succeed at the U and move on to pros to show future 'highly-rated' kids that they can stay home and prosper.

Top Bottom