All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

It's interesting how the memory can begin to fade on certain historical events....

When an ACT score 'improves' from single digits...to low 20's..it's going to raise a red flag.

Then, when asked to re-take the exam (proctored), and the resulting score plummets below the minimum allowed by the NCAA, then one winds up having to go back home for the fall semester and take a gray shirt.

Not sure the NCAA was unreasonable on this one....

By the way, this would explain why Q was so lightly recruited as a 4-star...and prolly why Jeff Jones has been getting his official visits canceled at the 11th hour...

Interesting. did I say anything that was incorrect? Did Marqueis end up eligible, or did he not? Did Marqueis graduate from the U (and even take grad courses), or did he not? Not sure it is exactly fair to speculate / imply that anything shady was going on with his eligibility situation.

PiPress: U hoping Washburn running back Jeff Jones decides to stay home

Jones, who could be the Gophers' best recruit in more than a decade next month, went on to win Minnesota Mr. Football honors during his senior season at Washburn High School. He rushed for nearly 4,700 yards and scored 92 touchdowns in his career as a four-year starter.

It all started with a serious conversation with his future high school coach, Giovan Jenkins, on a drive home from a summer workout five years ago.

"Coach Jenkins told me sitting in his car as an eighth-grader that if I take care of everything that I'll be sitting in this spot I am right now," Jones said Monday. "I believed him. What's happened from my ninth grade year until now, he predicted it. So it's not surprising to me. You just have to take it and be humble."

"They're probably going to get him," Rivals.com recruiting analyst Josh Helmholdt said. "Of the top-rated players to sign at Minnesota in the last 10 years, they've only gotten one of them (Tommy Olson). So it would be a great pickup for them."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...-hoping-washburn-running-back-jeff?source=nav

Go Gophers!!

It's interesting how the memory can begin to fade on certain historical events....

When an ACT score 'improves' from single digits...to low 20's..it's going to raise a red flag.

Then, when asked to re-take the exam (proctored), and the resulting score plummets below the minimum allowed by the NCAA, then one winds up having to go back home for the fall semester and take a gray shirt.

By the way, this would explain why Q was so lightly recruited as a 4-star...and prolly why Jeff Jones has been getting his official visits canceled at the 11th hour...

i like just saying things with no substantiation to them as well.

Since both of the cancelled visits were just recently scheduled, I don't think his academics has anything to do with it. It's not like Florida and Michigan wouldn't know anything about this before they recently offered.

[/B]

i like just saying things with no substantiation to them as well.

he isn't wrong and is probably a big reason why we got Royce as well, same reason why we got kris humphries too although those weren't exactly character concerns

he isn't wrong and is probably a big reason why we got Royce as well, same reason why we got kris humphries too although those weren't exactly character concerns

i'm just saying that is all speculation and there is no substantiation to that claim and that it cannot be proven true or false. nothing more. nothing less.

You guys are nuts; not only does he starts but he's all big ten, mark it down. He even catches the ball GREAT.

Or steal a laptop, beat up a security guard, get suspended, and transfer to Iowa State before ever seeing the field.

You left out his stellar professional career.

Since both of the cancelled visits were just recently scheduled, I don't think his academics has anything to do with it. It's not like Florida and Michigan wouldn't know anything about this before they recently offered.

Ummmmmmm, not sure 'bout that....

1. unheralded 4-star RB recruit shows up from out of nowhere (the frozen tundra)

2. same unheralded RB recruit wows 'em during practice leading up to the All-Star game

3. college coaches/recruiters from top-tier programs sit up and take note

4. same college coaches/recruiters find out he's a so-called 'soft commit'...and looking at mid-tier programs in Gopher, Cyclones, etc.

5. big-time offers begin to pour in

6. lots of euphoria immediately after All-Star game

7. official visits get lined up, as 2-way vetting process begins

8. in the course of vetting, it is determined the 4-star RB recruit projects as a non-qualifier, though that could change -- after LOI signing day

9. top-tier programs begin to quietly fade away, choosing to focus on those with 'qualifier' status

10. with options greatly limited, focus goes back to mid-tier programs, which tends to work out for the Gophers

U of M signs him and then waits desperately for a new qualification score.

1. unheralded 4-star RB recruit shows up from out of nowhere (the frozen tundra)

2. same unheralded RB recruit wows 'em during practice leading up to the All-Star game

4. same college coaches/recruiters find out he's a so-called 'soft commit'...and looking at mid-tier programs in Gopher, Cyclones, etc.

8. in the course of vetting, it is determined the 4-star RB recruit projects as a non-qualifier, though that could change -- after LOI signing day

9. top-tier programs begin to quietly fade away, choosing to focus on those with 'qualifier' status

10. with options greatly limited, focus goes back to mid-tier programs, which tends to work out for the Gophers

So you think the rumors of academics just surfaced? And you don't think these programs do any research about this type of thing before offering?

I am as confident that Jeff can get an additional point on his test, as i am that his academics will be just fine under the direction of Kill's staff. Just get him signed up - Let's get this thing goin!

So you think the rumors of academics just surfaced? And you don't think these programs do any research about this type of thing before offering?

You're assuming the terms "offer" and "offering" actually mean something. Those terms mean essentially nothing.

Jerry Kill has probably offered 100 11th graders already. How many of those do you think he would actually accept commitments from?

You're assuming the terms "offer" and "offering" actually mean something. Those terms mean essentially nothing.

Jerry Kill has probably offered 100 11th graders already. How many of those do you think he would actually accept commitments from?

Florida and Michigan would have taken a Jeff Jones commit in a heartbeat. Finding out grades is usually part of the due diligence done by schools prior to offering. Kill wouldn't have an offer out to him if he didnt think he could get him on campus.

You really spent a lot of time trying to prove something that no one really gives a **** about.

Good post, but some won't accept it no matter how right and logical it is.

JK does n't waste his time

that does resonate. JK doesn't waste his time.u either want the u of M or move on down the line.

STrib profile: Washburn star's stock rises on football recruiting front

“I think the potential benefit of adding him is greater than the negative perception of not getting him,” said Josh Helmholdt, Midwest recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. “I mean, guys change commitments all the time.

“If they’re able to keep him, the perception would be outstanding for future recruiting. And they’d have a tremendous football player who I think will have an instant impact on their program.”

Jones has yet to qualify academically to play Division-I, but he has up to three more chances to take the ACT exam. The next one Feb. 8.

“I’m not on pins and needles at all,” Jenkins said. “I believe he will get the score he needs. He’s about a point away on the ACT and two [-tenths of a point] on his GPA, and I’m confident he’ll make that up.

“And to be honest with you, if he goes to junior college, he’ll be fine as well. He’s a young man who, in 10th grade, struggled a little bit, and he’s paying the price for that now. But he knows that if it’s meant to be for him to be at the Division-I level, he’ll be there.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/241992081.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Cool. You still didn't answer my questions.

STrib profile: Washburn star's stock rises on football recruiting front

“I think the potential benefit of adding him is greater than the negative perception of not getting him,” said Josh Helmholdt, Midwest recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. “I mean, guys change commitments all the time.

“If they’re able to keep him, the perception would be outstanding for future recruiting. And they’d have a tremendous football player who I think will have an instant impact on their program.”

Jones has yet to qualify academically to play Division-I, but he has up to three more chances to take the ACT exam. The next one Feb. 8.

“I’m not on pins and needles at all,” Jenkins said. “I believe he will get the score he needs. He’s about a point away on the ACT and two [-tenths of a point] on his GPA, and I’m confident he’ll make that up.

“And to be honest with you, if he goes to junior college, he’ll be fine as well. He’s a young man who, in 10th grade, struggled a little bit, and he’s paying the price for that now. But he knows that if it’s meant to be for him to be at the Division-I level, he’ll be there.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/241992081.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Assuming he needs a 19-20 ACT score to qualify academically, 3 chances to get 1 point better should be INCREDIBLY easy. I'm 100% confident he'll get it, and if he doesn't, he's not ready to go to the U of M anyways.
I personally think the .2 increase on his GPA will be alot harder to obtain, so hopefully he bumps the ACT up a couple points so he doesn't need to get as high of a GPA. After 7 semesters of HS, his GPA this semester would need to be stellar to go up a whole 0.2.

*Does Jones need a tutor? I would tutor the dude every week just to get him academically qualified if I could! Ha. :pig:

Cool. You still didn't answer my questions.

Sounds like Jeff Jones was "offered on the spot" during the week of All-Star practice in Florida....and that's my point....the terms 'offer' and 'offering' have lost their meaning in modern-day college football recruiting. Once the power programs (Gators, Wolverines in this case) checked things out...and found out improvement was required on BOTH the ACT and the GPA...the phone stopped ringing. No visit was going to happen. That's where mid-tier programs like Iowa St., Minnesota, West Virginia, Purdue, Illinois etc. get to swoop in and scavenge. They don't have the luxury of being finicky...they need bodies, even borderline D-1 bodies, and/or borderline grades, and/or borderline legal/personal baggage, to fill their rosters.

Marcus blog: Gophers recruiting: Four-star RB Jeff Jones not concerned about Philip Nelson transfer

The fact that Nelson wasn’t leaving because of a bad experience with Gophers coach Jerry Kill and the coaching staff was important to Jones.

“He wanted to go somewhere where he can possibly get himself in a position to make some money someday,” Jones said earlier in the week. “He wanted to throw the ball. When you have guys like (running backs) (David) Cobb and (Donnell) Kirkwood, that’s not going to happen very often. I agree with his decision, as long as it wasn’t that he didn’t like the quarterbacks coach and staff.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...s-not-concerned-about-philip-nelson-transfer/

Go Gophers!!

Strib reported this morning that Florida and Michigan pulled back.

Get eligible Jeff!

Dink......the thing you are choosing to ignore is that Jones had official visits set up for both Florida and Michigan. Is it possible that they simply didn't know common knowledge and that he isn't currently eligible? Possibly. I would think that scouts for both teams knew his position however. It's not as though Jones emerged out of nowhere. He is the top recruit in the state and is a top 100 player nationally. If you think that teams like Florida and Michigan didn't know about his situation, you are crazy. To pull their "offers" even though he is very close to being eligible is also an inane thought. Is it possible that they have limited scholarships remaining and they don't want to hold one for Jones? Again......possible. However, for a player of his caliber, I think that even they would be capable of holding a spot. It's equally, if not more likely, that Jones confirmed his commitment to the Gophers and let the two teams know. It's a good possibility that they stopped recruiting him because he's a more solid Gopher commit than most think.

Dink......the thing you are choosing to ignore is that Jones had official visits set up for both Florida and Michigan. Is it possible that they simply didn't know common knowledge and that he isn't currently eligible? Possibly. I would think that scouts for both teams knew his position however. It's not as though Jones emerged out of nowhere. He is the top recruit in the state and is a top 100 player nationally. If you think that teams like Florida and Michigan didn't know about his situation, you are crazy. To pull their "offers" even though he is very close to being eligible is also an inane thought. Is it possible that they have limited scholarships remaining and they don't want to hold one for Jones? Again......possible. However, for a player of his caliber, I think that even they would be capable of holding a spot. It's equally, if not more likely, that Jones confirmed his commitment to the Gophers and let the two teams know. It's a good possibility that they stopped recruiting him because he's a more solid Gopher commit than most think.

i really doubt that they stopped recruiting him based on their chances of getting or not getting him

The only one who drew back was Jones. He cancelled the visits. Now that the "secret" of how good he is came out by his play he could play anywhere in the country.

He chooses to be a Gopher. Everyone is blowing his eligibility out of proportion. He will qualify. He will impact in the fall. His showed he is a class act with the props he threw out to Cobb and Kirkwood.

He is a program changer.

Top Bottom