All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Jeff Jones is an EXCELLENT receiver for a RB. I have no doubt that he could be a full-time WR if he and/or the staff wanted him to play there. His value to the receiving game out of the backfield/slot will be huge right out of the gate.

Jeff Jones is an EXCELLENT receiver for a RB. I have no doubt that he could be a full-time WR if he and/or the staff wanted him to play there. His value to the receiving game out of the backfield/slot will be huge right out of the gate.

Plus, if he can also line up at WR, it will keep defenses guessing.

Gents - I love Cobb, but Jones is too good to RS. Out of the question. Think of it like when we had Barber and Maroney came. We had talent at RB, but Maroney was too talented to sit. They can both help us, but IMO, Jones is the type of player that can transform a team.

Sorry....back to the topic at hand.

While I would LOVE for Jones to come play here, it certainly isn't decided yet. Let's worry about our Cobb/Edwards/etc backfield for now, and hopefully on signing day we get Jones' LOI and then we can go crazy thinking of our backfield possibilities!!

There is simply no way you could redshirt Jones. He has the potential (it may not happen right away, but the potential is there) to play a significant role in our offense from the moment he steps on the field. Our O-line is going to be more experienced and will be the first group to have RS Senior lineman who have been recruited by and completely formed by their experience with this coaching staff (that's correct, isn't it. Off the top of my head that seems right). Stability + experience + familiarity -->increased excellent performance.

I am very excited about the future of our running game!

Now that Jeff has cancelled his remaining visits. I'm feeling pretty optimistic that we got him. I just hope I'm not wrong.

While it's true that Jones looks the part of a good RB (and athelete), his not redshirting depends on how well he can grasp the offense and block. I wouldn't crown him "starter" until he has done what everyone else does - earn it.

While it's true that Jones looks the part of a good RB (and athelete), his not redshirting depends on how well he can grasp the offense and block. I wouldn't crown him "starter" until he has done what everyone else does - earn it.

I highly doubt Jones would pass Cobb on the depth chart next year. He will get playing time in multiple different ways.......but Cobb proved to be a solid back and should only improve with the starting experience he's had.

Bingo. For example, the Broncos put alot of faith in Montee Ball this year. Unfortunately for them, they couldn't play him unless it was an obvious running down because he can't block worth a lick. For him, I imagine the toughest transition will be whether or not he can correctly identify the blitzing player(s) and successfully block them. It's a big step from HS ball to the B1G linebackers. Hopefully he can grasp it all though in the maroon and gold!

I was being serious. I hope he gets eligible! I'm a bit worried about it.

Thanks for your consistently excellent feedback.

You can tell the more senior fans post during the day when there are two posts in a row that begin with the word "Bingo." ;)

I wouldn't crown him "starter" until he has done what everyone else does - earn it.

OK. Don't be such a wet blanket. Safe to say that the folks on here stating they think Jones will be our top back next year aren't suggesting Jerry hand him the job on day one. I think we are saying we believe he will earn it.

FTR - I believe our QBs should prove they can throw a forward pass before they get to play, our WRs should prove they can run without falling before Kill plays them, etc. - even if I don't specifically say those things, OK?

OK. Don't be such a wet blanket. Safe to say that the folks on here stating they think Jones will be our top back next year aren't suggesting Jerry hand him the job on day one. I think we are saying we believe he will earn it.

FTR - I believe our QBs should prove they can throw a forward pass before they get to play, our WRs should prove they can run without falling before Kill plays them, etc. - even if I don't specifically say those things, OK?

It baffles me that my post upset you this much.

At least we've gone from discussing whether or not Jones will come here, to whether or not he'll qualify or redshirt. Now all we have to do to complete the Gopherhole Trifecta of Angst is start worrying about if he'll stay all four years or leave early for the draft.

At least we've gone from discussing whether or not Jones will come here, to whether or not he'll qualify or redshirt. Now all we have to do to complete the Gopherhole Trifecta of Angst is start worrying about if he'll stay all four years or leave early for the draft.

If he leaves early for the draft that tells me that he tore up the BigTen and I'm fine with that.

Or steal a laptop, beat up a security guard, get suspended, and transfer to Iowa State before ever seeing the field.

I don't think Jones starts and I don't think he redshirts. I really doubt that Jones will be able to be a good blocker at this point in his career, he's probably never done it. That said, I think he's such a dynamic athlete that he can help us win games in a specific role.

When I was talking about Jones role, I wasn't referring to him as our work horse next season (for the reasons you've mentioned). I think he'll be on the field a lot with Cobb. He'll line up in the slot and take (or fake) a lot of jet sweeps, he should catch some bubble screens and I think he should be back with Jones returning kickoffs. Our offense is in desperate need of playmakers, Jones is a playmaker. We will find a way to use him (it might start slower like with D. Jones). That's my opinion.

However, you're right. Kill doesn't seem like a person to hand over anything to a top notch recruit and Jones needs to learn the offense. That said, he is absolutely dynamic with the ball in his hands, we need to find was to make that happen.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how Studwell's favorite coach uses all the new talent next year including Edwards in his schemes. Concerns about Edwards, Jones and Rodney are ability to block/ pick up blitzes and for the last 2 picking up the verbiage of a new offense. If your RB can't pick up a blitz or chip well it takes away your ability to use play action effectively- and the defense can stack the box against the run

David Cobb's starting position is almost chiseled in stone at this point.

Given his measurables, he's awesome. Period. Full stop. Pure football player.

Slow as hell. But who's perfect?

I believe Jones has said that he wants to go to a school where he can play right away and he didn't want to redshirt.

Plus I agree, too good to sit. Even if he only gets in for 10-15 snaps a game I think it's an upgrade.

The way I remember it, Marqueis actually improved his score by TOO much. It raised flags and they wanted to make sure he wasn't cheating. So he had to retake it. Did just fine and was able to play for us the following year.

It's interesting how the memory can begin to fade on certain historical events....

When an ACT score 'improves' from single digits...to low 20's..it's going to raise a red flag.

Then, when asked to re-take the exam (proctored), and the resulting score plummets below the minimum allowed by the NCAA, then one winds up having to go back home for the fall semester and take a gray shirt.

Not sure the NCAA was unreasonable on this one....

By the way, this would explain why Q was so lightly recruited as a 4-star...and prolly why Jeff Jones has been getting his official visits canceled at the 11th hour...

By the way, this would explain why Q was so lightly recruited as a 4-star...and prolly why Jeff Jones has been getting his official visits canceled at the 11th hour...

Speculation.

Top Bottom