All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I'm assuming the staff wanted to bring in 2 RB's? Rodney Smith just committed.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota a while ago and they only have one running back commitment and that is you. Is that important to you when you look at schools?

Jeff Jones: Yes. That shows that Minnesota is going to be just as loyal as I am. They are a staff that told me if I am going to commit that they are not going to look for no other backs. That is the thing that I like about them. The staff is a true and genuine staff and if they get the guy that they want they are going to change that program around fast.

Should that be of any concern? May be nothing but losing Jones would hurt this class.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota a while ago and they only have one running back commitment and that is you. Is that important to you when you look at schools?

Jeff Jones: Yes. That shows that Minnesota is going to be just as loyal as I am. They are a staff that told me if I am going to commit that they are not going to look for no other backs. That is the thing that I like about them. The staff is a true and genuine staff and if they get the guy that they want they are going to change that program around fast.

Should that be of any concern? May be nothing but losing Jones would hurt this class.

I would hope Jones knows he should be really far ahead of Smith, considering Smith is a 2 star and I couldn't even find him on ESPN recruiting. Hopefully shouldn't matter.

I would hope Jones knows he should be really far ahead of Smith, considering Smith is a 2 star and I couldn't even find him on ESPN recruiting. Hopefully shouldn't matter.

I am certain the Kill & Co. have told Jones they are recruiting two RBs.

What score does somebody need to qualify? Just curious.

It depends on your GPA. The higher the GPA the lower the ACT. You must have a 2.3 GPA to even get in. So, if Jones is one point away and he doesn't improve his ACT score he might be able to still get in if he improves his GPA. Here's hoping for a good score in a few weeks or straight A's last semester and this semester. Last semester probably just ended, so he may not know what he got yet.

Jones isn't visiting Michigan anymore according to 247…looking more and more like a lock for the Gophers...

the wisconsin game…perra commits…smith commits…jones cancels his michigan visit…nice 24 hours...

I don't believe Jones is going on his FL visit either - according to my sources :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> RB commit Jeff Jones is no longer taking an official visit to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Florida&src=hash">#Florida</a> this weekend.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/426533463999516672">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ok, so here is a question because im not sure the rules on officials to schools. Like is there a certain date they need to have signed up by? Would Tennessee be a place that could sneak in and get him for a visit? Or is that chance gone for him to visit before NSD?

Ok, so here is a question because im not sure the rules on officials to schools. Like is there a certain date they need to have signed up by? Would Tennessee be a place that could sneak in and get him for a visit? Or is that chance gone for him to visit before NSD?

NSD is just the earliest these guys could sign. A lot of players visit and sign well after NSD. The Gophers got commitments from David Cobb well after NSD. So no, there isn't a date that is an absolute cut-off, most schools like it by NSD.

I'm really excited to see Jeff Jones in Maroon and Gold. He really is a dynamic athlete and it's going to test our offensive staff to be creative with him. I envision him in a similar role to Melvin Gordon's first few years in Madison. I think he'll line up all over the place, he'll run a lot of jet sweeps and often line up in the backfield. He's such a natural receiver, I imagine he'll be a mega-version of what we tried to do with KJ Maye the last few years. He needs 10-15 touches per game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got further confirmation Jeff will not head to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Michigan&src=hash">#Michigan</a> as well next wknd. No further trips for Jones. <a href="http://t.co/Y3oMhaNv8S">http://t.co/Y3oMhaNv8S</a> (VIP)</p>— Kyle Goblirsch (@Gobie247) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gobie247/statuses/426564943781969920">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

Yes!

Now that tweet is some of the best news I've heard in a long time! No FL. No MI. No more visits. We've continued hearing all along that Jeff is still solid in his commitment, though exploring options. Perhaps things are finally all beginning to play out just right.

i think it is safe to say Jeff is a lock. MSU, ISU, Tennessee? really? he will be wearing Maroon and gold next fall and will be a legend here

Get him to the tutor stat.

This is looking really promising. Nice class shaping up if the stars align. The big question is how easy will it be for him to raise his score? Didn't Marqueis have a similar issue?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> RB commit Jeff Jones is no longer taking an official visit to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Florida&src=hash">#Florida</a> this weekend.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/426533463999516672">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

Not sure if I trust this. I'll wait for BigGopherFan's source to confirm.

Get him to the tutor stat.

This is looking really promising. Nice class shaping up if the stars align. The big question is how easy will it be for him to raise his score? Didn't Marqueis have a similar issue?

The way I remember it, Marqueis actually improved his score by TOO much. It raised flags and they wanted to make sure he wasn't cheating. So he had to retake it. Did just fine and was able to play for us the following year.

The way I remember it, Marqueis actually improved his score by TOO much. It raised flags and they wanted to make sure he wasn't cheating. So he had to retake it. Did just fine and was able to play for us the following year.

Yeah, it's the exact kind of situation that makes the NCAA annoying. Marqueis worked his butt off, he got a good score and NCAA still decided to steal a year from him. It's sickening that the burden was on him to prove that he wasn't cheating. A lot of young guys wouldn't have persevered through that situation.

Yeah, it's the exact kind of situation that makes the NCAA annoying. Marqueis worked his butt off, he got a good score and NCAA still decided to steal a year from him. It's sickening that the burden was on him to prove that he wasn't cheating. A lot of young guys wouldn't have persevered through that situation.

Studying for the ACT and SAT is a fairly big - and legitimate - business. Any bookstore will have study guides for the tests, and many schools have classes where they prepare you for the test. Part of doing well on these tests is just familiarity with them. Once example, is eliminating an answer, if you can figure out that one of the options is wrong, even if you have to guess, it improves your chances. It's better to prepare for the test in advance, then you avoid this "suspicious" increase in the score.

Take a class on improving test scores, get some test prep software or books, and he should be fine.

With the Michigan and Florida visits being off the Tennessee 247 site is saying they are trying to get Jones to visit there. Still unknown whether he will or not.

It is ridiculous that the burden was on Q to prove he didn't cheat when it sounds like there was no evidence of foul play other than a score increase. The NCAA likes to prove how incompetent they are at every turn.

As for Jones, I am getting cautiously optimistic. I wonder if he would redshirt or play immediately. The backfield is pretty crowded with a few experienced backs and another highly touted prospect coming off his reshirt season. It sounds like he is pretty versatile, so I think that would bode well in terms of getting him some early playing time.

It is ridiculous that the burden was on Q to prove he didn't cheat when it sounds like there was no evidence of foul play other than a score increase. The NCAA likes to prove how incompetent they are at every turn.

As for Jones, I am getting cautiously optimistic. I wonder if he would redshirt or play immediately. The backfield is pretty crowded with a few experienced backs and another highly touted prospect coming off his reshirt season. It sounds like he is pretty versatile, so I think that would bode well in terms of getting him some early playing time.

He would most definitely play right away. We'd have 3 very dangerous backs in Jones, Edwards, and of course Cobb. Crazy to think we could have Jones and Edwards as our 1-2 punch for the next 4 years!

He would most definitely play right away. We'd have 3 very dangerous backs in Jones, Edwards, and of course Cobb. Crazy to think we could have Jones and Edwards as our 1-2 punch for the next 4 years!

Are we sure that freshman Jones would be ahead of senior Cobb? There is a lot of growth that happens during a college career both in terms of experience and strength training. I am not trying to knock on Jones at all, and I think by the time he graduates he will have been the kind of back that we are talking about for a long time, but it seems like we always overestimate the ability of a new recruit or a current redshirt to make an immediate impact.

Are we sure that freshman Jones would be ahead of senior Cobb? There is a lot of growth that happens during a college career both in terms of experience and strength training. I am not trying to knock on Jones at all, and I think by the time he graduates he will have been the kind of back that we are talking about for a long time, but it seems like we always overestimate the ability of a new recruit or a current redshirt to make an immediate impact.

Yeah, I still think Cobb will be the #1 guy, at least at the beginning of the year. Jones and Edwards will both have their chances, I'd be surprised if Jones redshirts.

Like Bob_Loblaw was saying a few posts earlier is Jones probably won't be strictly a RB in the backfield getting carries. He's a guy you can put in the slot and run bubble screens, jet sweeps, wheel routes, etc. I'd think the coaching staff will find ways to get two of Jones, Edwards, and Cobb on the field at the same time.

Remember back when we had that other streak of great backs? you know what helped them was a very solid OL. if we see improvemetn in them again next season and beyond then we could be sitting on some very nice stats fromt he RB's.

in Edwards and Jones there are breakaway threats any time. Cobb can be sneaky knocking off 15-25 yard runs too. if the line can also protect the passer better and we get some time to make better decisions back there. holes will also open up more.
woudl not be surprised to see a couple 1000 yard rushers next year

Cobb will begin the season as the top back, but as the season goes on all 3 will share the load which should only help or running game since all 3 will be able to stay fresh throughout the game. Like others have said, Jones will be used in a number of ways which should help us get him on the field with Edwards and Cobb.

Top Bottom