All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

I'm not ripping on the row the boat thing but it is unique. There is no need to defend it. I cannot think of another coach that has a mantra that is so well known.

I understand other schools have mantras, that's precisely my point. I can't think of another coach that has his own branding on school helmets and says it in every interview.

I wouldn't, personally, compare being religious as your own branding but with your Dabo comparison, I think his "brand" would only make sense at certain schools. I don't think that brand works at USC.

If it's no big deal, do you think Michigan puts oars on helmets? If not, why not?
I agree with you for the most part. But in regards to your last line, does PJ have some kind of had stance about the oars on the helmets? Like if Michigan said no to that would that be a deal breaker for him?

War Eagle, Roll Tide, Fight On, O-H-I-O, Go Big Red, etc.
I agree PJ isn't as different as people like to think.

You have to stop comparing school mantras with a coach's personal branding. That's precisely the point.

I'd love to hear another coach who has this same level of actual branding - stickers on the helmet, say it on every interview/conference, tee-shirts. Row the Boat would leave with Fleck. It's not a University of Minnesota thing, it's a Fleck thing.

War Eagle, Roll Tide, Fight On, O-H-I-O, Go Big Red, etc.
I agree PJ isn't as different as people like to think.
Not the same thing. Those slogans are akin to Ski-U-Mah at the U of M. Row the Boat has a specific tie to Fleck.

I mean you are right that he isn't all that different from most other coaches but he is different and it might be a tougher sell to bring him into one of the helmet schools with his personal branding.

I agree with you for the most part. But in regards to your last line, does PJ have some kind of had stance about the oars on the helmets? Like if Michigan said no to that would that be a deal breaker for him?
No, I would assume he doesn't have a stance on the helmets. It would be dumb of him to have that stance because no helmet school would even consider it and I don't think PJ's dumb.

That said, I just think it's symbolic of how unique his situation is with RTB. No one else does it and none of these higher positions would. Why wouldn't they do it? Because it's not standard.

My issue with the stickers is just that some folks say that it's no different than other schools who do XYZ. If it's no different, why do we all agree that most schools would never do it? It's precisely because it is unique.

Gopher fans should take it as a compliment that other big name teams are considering PJ Fleck as their coach. While I do not want him to leave, I guess it beats the alternative that NOBODY would want him!!

Report Edit Delete

Correct! It's called negotiating. Michigan isn't likely to say you're not allowed to say row the boat and Fleck would likely not push it only uniforms. Heck they probably get creative and find a way to tie it to NIL and the football world would explode.

If Michigan was coming off of another Brady Hoke years situation then I think they go outside the box and would consider someone like Fleck. Michigan will be a top destination and they'd have their pick of a lot of coaches if Harbaugh left.

As someone who gets a lot of entertainment out of coaching carousel drama, I would love to see that job open up and see who Michigan ends up with.

As someone who gets a lot of entertainment out of coaching carousel drama, I would love to see that job open up and see who Michigan ends up with.
Oh yeah, the Michigan job could get spicy.

Will they entertain Urban? Probably not.

Will they go the NFL route? I don't know.

Internal? Mike Hart?

Then there are a number of people who could be exciting - Lane Kiffin? Chris Peterson out of retirement? do they make a huge run at Fickell?

Internal? Mike Hart?

Then there are a number of people who could be exciting - Lane Kiffin? Chris Peterson out of retirement? do they make a huge run at Fickell?
I would be rolling on the floor laughing if Fickell left the badgers before the season even started.

Based on the fact that if any program looked upon as even moderately more prestigious than MN had offered this little egomaniac a job over the last six years, he would have hopped off faster than the Easter bunny on meth. This tells us no one even remotely near the class of the Michigan job has offered him, therefore, it's nil that Michigan would.
493.jpg

You have to stop comparing school mantras with a coach's personal branding. That's precisely the point.

I'd love to hear another coach who has this same level of actual branding - stickers on the helmet, say it on every interview/conference, tee-shirts. Row the Boat would leave with Fleck. It's not a University of Minnesota thing, it's a Fleck thing.

Other than 'Row' on the front part of the helmet, what other branding is on the uniform? He went away from the oar on the top of the helmet right away, and there's really nothing else on the uniform or helmet. I don't see 'Row' on the front or back part of the helmet being an issue for most schools, where a lot of them put other slogans.

I think the bigger limitation for PJ at a helmet school is recruiting. He won't sacrifice his culture which takes things well beyond the football field. That's his biggest limitation in landing higher ranked recruits, who don't really want to 'play school' and are there to play football and make it to the NFL.

Internal? Mike Hart?

Fickell would be awesome as it would destroy both Michigan and Wisconsin lol

Other than 'Row' on the front part of the helmet, what other branding is on the uniform? He went away from the oar on the top of the helmet right away, and there's really nothing else on the uniform or helmet. I don't see 'Row' on the front or back part of the helmet being an issue for most schools, where a lot of them put other slogans.

I think the bigger limitation for PJ at a helmet school is recruiting. He won't sacrifice his culture which takes things well beyond the football field. That's his biggest limitation in landing higher ranked recruits, who don't really want to 'play school' and are there to play football and make it to the NFL.
I was using him altering the helmets with ROW and the oars as symbolic of how PJ's row the boat is different than most coach's coach speak.

I was using him altering the helmets with ROW and the oars as symbolic of how PJ's row the boat is different than most coach's coach speak.

I get that, but even the oars are gone from the helmet. Unless you really consider the stripe still a part of that. To most outsiders it doesn't look like an oar anymore, and no one would know it's the handle unless they were told. It's down to just Row. He has significantly toned that down from Western Michigan and from the first year here.

I get that, but even the oars are gone from the helmet. Unless you really consider the stripe still a part of that. To most outsiders it doesn't look like an oar anymore, and no one would know it's the handle unless they were told. It's down to just Row. He has significantly toned that down from Western Michigan and from the first year here.
None of this actually bothers me and is subtle but for completeness

•ROW on the front bumper
•The oar as the stripe. So much better than the first year when in looked like a tampon and string
•The compass on the back of the helmet where the number is
•the numbers and collars on the jerseys have an oar, boat and compass motif in them

Bring the tampoon back!!!
BWAHAHAHA!!!
Just kidding...
1673575237641.jpeg

Gopher fans should take it as a compliment that other big name teams are considering PJ Fleck as their coach.
Sure ..... if/when that actually does happen.

Michigan most definitely is not considering PJ Fleck as a Jim Harbaugh replacement.

Top Bottom