All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Texas would be a nice paycheck but holy moly what a demanding fan base! They have no problem recruiting there, they need a excellent X's and O's coach more than anything.

Actually a little surprised to see Fleck's name high on these lists given how this year has gone. That said, if you take him at his word about the fact that being the only D1 school in the state is important, then Texas and Michigan are both out.

And frankly, the assertion that he will get a Big Time job is insulting. He is in the Big Ten, yes we are not a helmet school but going to a place like Texas really isn't that huge of an upgrade from where he is at right now in spite of what the talking heads will say.

Not impossible that a coach goes from one power 5 to another power 5 but as has been discussed it isn't super common and in leaving here he would be leaving a great situation to go start over at a place with massive expectations.

I think Campbell at ISU would be higher on Michigan's list. Ohio ties and that would be huge for recruiting.

In spite of the story that was posted I would be shocked if Fleck was even on Michigan's list right now. He would be a tough sell to the fanbase who is going to want them to go get a big name. And I really don't believe that Fleck would want to go to Michigan anyway. Can't see Michigan embracing row the boat or a lot of the other aspects of Fleck's program.

Texas - will almost certainly fire its coach
Michigan - may fire its coach
Notre Dame - will not fire its coach.

This only happens if they have a commitment from Urban. Otherwise it's less than 25% chance of happening.

PJF will be hired as their next great gymnast coach and mentor. He looks more like a gymnast.

Urban Meyer has already said no to Texas. But, Texas has now devalued its current head coach so much with the public flirtation of Meyer, they have almost no choice but to fire Herman. Fans and boosters hate him. Players are quitting and transferring.

If Michigan gives Harbaugh any type of real contract extension, the fans will revolt. I doubt he even gets a token extension and it is more than likely they will part ways in some way.

Notre Dame will not fire its coach, but could potentially lose its coach to the NFL.

Let's revisit at the end of the month.
Brohm more likely to go to Louisville this year than Fleck to Michigan

I really doubt PJ leaves anytime soon! PJ has whatever he wants here, he can recruit, plays in major market within major conference, building his program his way with free reign. Honestly what does Michigan or Texas have that Minnesota doesn’t? Better players available? That might be it. Minnesota has shown it is willing to invest heavily into football with contracts, facilities, and benefits.

How would Texas or Michigan sell PJ Fleck to their fanbases after paying huge buyouts to Herman/Harbaugh? We haven't just taken a small step back this year, we lept backwards towards embarassment. Michigan fans are going to want the coach of the only team Harbaugh looked good against this year in a week 1 primetime blowout? A coach that lost to Maryland and Iowa this year? A coach with a losing B1G record both this year and for his tenure? No way. Michigan will go for Brady. Or they'll go for Campbell, Or they'll go for Fickell. If they get down to where Fleck would be on their list right now, they would just keep Harbaugh...and they will know that before they make a move.

That's not to say PJ isn't a good coach or wouldn't do a good job at Michigan/Texas, but his stock is way down at the moment and helmet schools like that don't buy the dip. Next year will be huge for the Minnesota program and PJ personally in terms of his own brand.

Brohm more likely to go to Louisville this year than Fleck to Michigan

Could be. I doubt Louisville job opens.

And, I have no idea what that has to do with what we were discussing regarding the coaching situations at Texas, Michigan or Notre Dame.

This only happens if they have a commitment from Urban. Otherwise it's less than 25% chance of happening.

Urban already has told them no. The fact they flirted with him and it was rather public, basically sealed Tom Herman's fate, whether Urban said yes or no.

It'd be program suicide to bring Herman back now.

I don't see that it'd be a smart path to now go back to Tom Herman, their fans, and their players and say, "Hey we asked Urban to coach, he said no, but we have total faith in you. Don't worry about a thing!"

He is already getting killed on the recruiting trail by Texas standards, players are quitting or leaving. Fans hate him. The school reached out to someone to take his job while he was still employed there. That's one of the all-time undercuts ever. How do they bring him back now?

Has there ever been a successful program who took this path to success???

Last edited:

Could be. I doubt Louisville job opens.

And, I have no idea what that has to do with what we were discussing regarding the coaching situations at Texas, Michigan or Notre Dame.
Nothing
I’m saying I can just make up unopened jobs being opened too

Nothing
I’m saying I can just make up unopened jobs being opened too

Or, you can make up that they won't be open. You were the guy who brought the job situations up. I was simply offering a different opinion.

Let's revisit in a month and see if Harbaugh has his extension and if Herman is still hooking Horns.

Any of you who were in TCF last year for the Penn State game will probably agree, that was as good as it gets in college football and PJ made that happen right here in river city. This town supports teams that win and in a big way so when he builds this program up to a contender he will have it all right here and he can have his house on Tonka too. He will not leave.

Urban already has told them no. The fact they flirted with him and it was rather public, basically sealed Tom Herman's fate, whether Urban said yes or no.

I don't see that it'd be a smart path to now go back to Tom Herman, their fans, and their players and say, "Hey we asked Urban to coach, he said no, but we have total faith in you. Don't worry about a thing!"

He is already getting killed on the recruiting trail by Texas standards, players are quitting or leaving. Fans hate him. The school reached out to someone to take his job while he was still employed there. That's one of the all-time undercuts ever. How do they bring him back now?

I'm sorry, I just don't see them canning Herman for James Franklin or Cristobal from Oregon. They still had the top recruiting class in the Big 12 last year and are still doing fine this year. You are making a strong point about looking at others while another coach has the job. Texas has a history of being awfully sloppy in this area. I think they hold pat for at least one more year.

How? Why? His buyout is $25 million. Boosters would pay it for Urban. Is there another guy they will put their money behind? Have not heard anyone next in line..

Any of you who were in TCF last year for the Penn State game will probably agree, that was as good as it gets in college football and PJ made that happen right here in river city. This town supports teams that win and in a big way so when he builds this program up to a contender he will have it all right here and he can have his house on Tonka too. He will not leave.

Agree. Would be very surprised to see fleck move on to schools such ss texas/michigan. His approach is unique and may not translate to the big egos found in the big time programs. Think he realizes that.

The U basically did that to Dan Monson. It didn't end well. But maybe they can just deny, deny deny.

Hadn't heard that Urban turned them down.

The ol' "health issues" line. He's used it to successfully pull the eject handles in Gainesville and Columbus.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...-job-leaving-longhorns-fumbling-for-a-plan-b/

If Urban Meyer was ever a possibility to take over the Texas football program, that hope has effectively ended for now.

News broke late Sunday that Meyer has decided not to come to Texas because of lingering concerns about his health that contributed to him leaving jobs at Florida and Ohio State, where he had won national championships. Texas administration and donors had sought to lure Meyer out of the Fox Sports studios to replace Tom Herman.

Actually a little surprised to see Fleck's name high on these lists given how this year has gone. That said, if you take him at his word about the fact that being the only D1 school in the state is important, then Texas and Michigan are both out.

And frankly, the assertion that he will get a Big Time job is insulting. He is in the Big Ten, yes we are not a helmet school but going to a place like Texas really isn't that huge of an upgrade from where he is at right now in spite of what the talking heads will say.

Not impossible that a coach goes from one power 5 to another power 5 but as has been discussed it isn't super common and in leaving here he would be leaving a great situation to go start over at a place with massive expectations.
In the spirit of the season, I have but one question......You serious Clark? Look, there is no question Texas has had a difficult 15 years but to think our Gophers are in as good of a position or have the same upside as Texas is completely laughable.

I really doubt PJ leaves anytime soon! PJ has whatever he wants here, he can recruit, plays in major market within major conference, building his program his way with free reign. Honestly what does Michigan or Texas have that Minnesota doesn’t? Better players available? That might be it. Minnesota has shown it is willing to invest heavily into football with contracts, facilities, and benefits.
Better players available by a landslide, way more money, giant fan base. Better chance at a national title.

In the spirit of the season, I have but one question......You serious Clark? Look, there is no question Texas has had a difficult 15 years but to think our Gophers are in as good of a position or have the same upside as Texas is completely laughable.
I know that Eddie.

If you just look at it on the surface, if you are a non power 5 coach and you are offered Minnesota and Texas at the same time, you go with Texas for the tradition and recruiting advantages.

But if you are already a Big Ten coach in a great situation the jump to the potential of a helmet school that comes along with massive expectations may not be nearly as appealing.

Fleck has a great setup at Minnesota, so a place like Texas probably doesn't have the appeal that the talking heads will assign to it just based on the name of the school.

I'm sorry, I just don't see them canning Herman for James Franklin or Cristobal from Oregon. They still had the top recruiting class in the Big 12 last year and are still doing fine this year. You are making a strong point about looking at others while another coach has the job. Texas has a history of being awfully sloppy in this area. I think they hold pat for at least one more year.
Completely agree. Herman is 31-18 overall and 22-13 in conference. Don't see TX canning him.

If you just look at it on the surface, if you are a non power 5 coach and you are offered Minnesota and Texas at the same time, you go with Texas for the tradition and recruiting advantages.

But if you are already a Big Ten coach in a great situation the jump to the potential of a helmet school that comes along with massive expectations may not be nearly as appealing.

Fleck has a great setup at Minnesota, so a place like Texas probably doesn't have the appeal that the talking heads will assign to it just based on the name of the school.
First of all, a school like Texas would never hire Fleck if he was going to bring his RTB mantra to town. I firmly believe that is one of the reasons Minnesota was so attractive for Fleck. In the last 50+ years Minnesota has had zero football tradition, so PJ got to create his brand.

Texas has the financial ability that Minnesota doesn't.
Texas has one of the best AD's in Chris Del Conte
Texas has Austin and its fantastic climate and geography
Texas has deep pockets
Texas has a much deeper recruiting base
Texas is the shit, and they know it, they just need to prove it again.

I love Minnesota football with all my heart, I would take the upside the Longhorns of Gophers all day long.

First of all, a school like Texas would never hire Fleck if he was going to bring his RTB mantra to town. I firmly believe that is one of the reasons Minnesota was so attractive for Fleck. In the last 50+ years Minnesota has had zero football tradition, so PJ got to create his brand.

Texas has the financial ability that Minnesota doesn't.
Texas has one of the best AD's in Chris Del Conte
Texas has Austin and its fantastic climate and geography
Texas has deep pockets
Texas has a much deeper recruiting base
Texas is the shit, and they know it, they just need to prove it again.

I love Minnesota football with all my heart, I would take the upside the Longhorns of Gophers all day long.
Yeah. It’s all personal preference.
There are some who would rather go build something then stick around (Alvarez, Sweeney, Dantonio)
There are some that would rather jump at the chance when it hits.

neither are right or wrong. Neither are predictable without really knowing the individual you are talking about.

Several candidates stand out as Auburn looks for Gus Malzahn’s replacement

Several usual suspects when it comes to college football’s coaching carousel could also come into the mix at Auburn.

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell has received high praise for building the Cyclones program up in his five seasons, and while he has no ties to the Southeast and may be looking at the NFL instead he could be a name to watch. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables is annually viewed as one of the nation’s top assistants and has been patiently awaiting the right opportunity to become a head coach. Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck — who topped Malzahn and the Tigers in the 2020 Outback Bowl — is also considered one of the sports’ rising stars who could move to a bigger job in the near future.

Go Gophers!!

Several usual suspects when it comes to college football’s coaching carousel could also come into the mix at Auburn.

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell has received high praise for building the Cyclones program up in his five seasons, and while he has no ties to the Southeast and may be looking at the NFL instead he could be a name to watch. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables is annually viewed as one of the nation’s top assistants and has been patiently awaiting the right opportunity to become a head coach. Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck — who topped Malzahn and the Tigers in the 2020 Outback Bowl — is also considered one of the sports’ rising stars who could move to a bigger job in the near future.

Go Gophers!!

PJ may move on someday, but it won't be to Auburn. I'd be stunned if he went there.

Go Gophers!!
Auburn and Minnesota played in the same bowl last year.

auburn won 6 SEC games this year
Minnesota won 3 big ten games this year

auburn fired their coach. Definitely the place a coach would rather be...if the money is astronomically better. But if the number isn’t astronomically better, no reason to go there.

Top Bottom