All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

It would take some time, but definitely can be done. Clemson and Bama are actually more recent examples of it being done. Other than a nice run in the late 80s, Clemson had been pretty average at best until Sweeney arrived. Alabama was more or less up and down after Bryant left until Saban arrived. USC had a nice run with Pete Carroll.
I just those examples are much closer to lots of high end players (looking historical geographically at 5* and NFL players) and wouldn’t likely be considered “low end of the P5”.

Not saying it’s impossible for Minnesota.

Clemson is a relatively recent addition to that list, and proof that there is some turnover.

I recall a time where it would have been unthinkable that among USC, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Florida State and Miami, none of the above would finish in the Top 10 of the final AP poll.

Power shifts slowly in college football. But it does shift.
This. People have short memories. Typically every program goes through some sort of ups and downs over time, obviously to varying degrees. People are quick to assume that because Alabama, Clemson, OSU, etc. are on top right now that it will always be that way. We could go on for hours about the shifts in college football. Heck we are only 15 or so years removed from us beating Alabama in a bowl game. Michigan State made a playoff recently. This whole idea that only a handful of programs can achieve greatness is nonsense.

This. People have short memories. Typically every program goes through some sort of ups and downs over time, obviously to varying degrees. People are quick to assume that because Alabama, Clemson, OSU, etc. are on top right now that it will always be that way. We could go on for hours about the shifts in college football. Heck we are only 15 or so years removed from us beating Alabama in a bowl game. Michigan State made a playoff recently. This whole idea that only a handful of programs can achieve greatness is nonsense.
It does change but far more at places in regions of recruiting hotbeds, often with national brands. But of course it can be done.

It does change but far more at places in regions of recruiting hotbeds, often with national brands. But of course it can be done.
No question some schools have a significant advantage.

The reality is that none of us know what PJ wants and what the future holds. He may love coaching and living here, but still be enticed by more money and prestige. He may think he wants to stay here forever, but many things could change his mind down the road. He may think he wants to coach at a blue blood, but decide that this is his home forever.

Not to mention there's no guarantee that every top school with an opening even wants PJ. Long story short, may as well enjoy the ride since we don't know when it will end.

I just those examples are much closer to lots of high end players (looking historical geographically at 5* and NFL players) and wouldn’t likely be considered “low end of the P5”.

Not saying it’s impossible for Minnesota.
Sure but many teams therein that area have high end talent and don't rise to that level. Oregon had a stretch from 2000 where eight of 15 years it ended the season in the top ten...five of those were top five. They jumped back up last year.

Sure but many teams therein that area have high end talent and don't rise to that level. Oregon had a stretch from 2000 where eight of 15 years it ended the season in the top ten...five of those were top five. They jumped back up last year.
Oregon has unlimited Nike funding. Who knows how many California/west coast stars they “convinced” to sign with Oregon back in the day. I don’t think many casual college football fans would think of Oregon as lower end P5, as they would Minnesota.

The reality is that none of us know what PJ wants and what the future holds. He may love coaching and living here, but still be enticed by more money and prestige. He may think he wants to stay here forever, but many things could change his mind down the road. He may think he wants to coach at a blue blood, but decide that this is his home forever.

Not to mention there's no guarantee that every top school with an opening even wants PJ. Long story short, may as well enjoy the ride since we don't know when it will end.

Many Gopher fans are incapable of not fretting about the future and assuming their coach is gone the first time someone with some prestige comes calling. Never mind that Fleck had the perfect opportunity to bolt after last season but elected to sign an extension instead.....many will still worry about someone swooping in and stealing him away. It is the gift that keeps on giving from when Holtz left us over 30 years ago....

Post of the week.

Many Gopher fans are incapable of not fretting about the future and assuming their coach is gone the first time someone with some prestige comes calling. Never mind that Fleck had the perfect opportunity to bolt after this season but elected to sign an extension instead.....many will still worry about someone swooping in and stealing him away. It is the gift that keeps on giving from when Holtz left us over 30 years ago....
What if he did not have his perfect opportunity? The only thing i know for sure and that i care about is that he is here now, working his ass off to win as much as he can. Just grateful that we have a really good coach in a big two sport for the first time in generations.

Let me summarize what you said:

It Depends....

Oregon has unlimited Nike funding. Who knows how many California/west coast stars they “convinced” to sign with Oregon back in the day. I don’t think many casual college football fans would think of Oregon as lower end P5, as they would Minnesota.
It took many years for Ducks to get there.

Nike $$ is not the panacea for Oregon everyone thinks; it's certainly not unlimited and more up and down than folks realize. It also has had a limiting affect on Oregon's ability to raise funds/gifts from other sources. The U has the B1G Network revenue. In 2017/18 U athletics ranked above Oregon in total revenue and below them in total expenses.

It took many years for Ducks to get there.

Nike $$ is not the panacea for Oregon everyone thinks; it's certainly not unlimited and more up and down than folks realize. It also has had a limiting affect on Oregon's ability to raise funds/gifts from other sources. The U has the B1G Network revenue. In 2017/18 U athletics ranked above Oregon in total revenue and below them in total expenses.

Are your revenue figures including donations from boosters for the two schools? My guess would be no as that isnt generally made public. The booster gifts/donations are what largely pays for facilities, coaching buyouts, and many coaching perks/benefits provided them. Lack of big booster financial support is definitely an area Minnesota struggles with.

Are your revenue figures including donations from boosters for the two schools? My guess would be no as that isnt generally made public. The booster gifts/donations are what largely pays for facilities, coaching buyouts, and many coaching perks/benefits provided them. Lack of big booster financial support is definitely an area Minnesota struggles with.
It has to be public. It’s a public institution. It’s the law.

No, it’s not included in the revenues. Plus perks like private planes etc.

It has to be public. It’s a public institution. It’s the law.
Are you saying all public universities must publicly publish and include donations and gifts from boosters in their revenue numbers? I don’t believe those are generally included by many schools as part of revenue nor that they are required , at least not from state to state

Last edited:

Yes. USA Today. What Gophs lack in donations/contributions, it makes up for in Rights/Licensing revenue from B1G. Oregon's revenues swing fairly wildly year to year.

Yes. USA Today. What Gophs lack in donations/contributions, it makes up for in Rights/Licensing revenue from B1G. Oregon's revenues swing fairly wildly year to year.

do you have a link? Also not every school accounts for revenue and expenses the same way.

But some schools have no problem paying for fantastic facilities right up front. Huge donors.

Here is the link to the 2019 Minnesota NCAA financial report that gives all the breakdowns of revenue, expenses, contributions, etc.. It does' give the details who gave the contributions (maybe that is in another report). But you could easily look another school to compare since they all have to file the same NCAA report.

Yes, donations are in the numbers. Private aircraft use is written into contracts.
Gifts are to the school. They aren’t athletic revenue. Not saying the school in general doesn’t have a record of all gifts.

If Knight lets football coaches use his private plan for some function or trip, that’s like an in kind gift. Again I doubt that’s going to be recorded as an athletic revenue or expense.

UM revenue on a 3 year average-20 million donations,47 lisc ,37 football,13 basketball
UW 23 million donations,54 lics.47 football.20 basketball
Penn st. 28 million donations,66 lisc. 66 football,10 basketball
Ohio state 33 million donations.57 lisc,70 football.21 basketball
Texas 44 million donations.63 lisc,114 football. 16 basketball
Tex AM 92 million donations, 47 lisc.,57 football,8 basketball
Should be noted that a ton of schools, although wanting to balance the budget have Endowments that dwarf the above by many billions, like a Duke, Stanford, UVA. They look at sports as a vital component of the school but not the revenue and have no problem raising 100 million for a new basketball arena in the case of UVA with just a couple boosters. Athletic village would be paid in 5 phone calls. It is also revealed that most schools hardly have any left over for this so called paying athletes. In the case of the U there is very little left after expenses. This is just the revenue side.

per Shama:

It was rumored last fall University of Southern California officials were in town to test Coyle’s interest in their AD opening. There was speculation USC might even be intrigued about not only hiring Coyle, but doing a package deal that delivered Minnesota head football coach P.J. Fleck.

Minnesota president Joan Gabel and the Board of Regents approved a new contract in February for Coyle that extends through June 2026. The deal now pays Coyle $975,000 and brings him nearer the best paid athletic directors in the nation who make more than $1 million annually.

Retaining Coyle could well be a key in hanging on to Fleck who at 39 remains one of the hot names in college coaching. When schools start bidding for Fleck, and they will if he continues to win, the coach may or may not show interest. If he does, bet your Goldy cap Fleck’s relationship with Coyle will count for a lot on whether he stays or goes.

Go Gophers!!

per Caputo:

A question for those wavering on Jim Harbaugh as Michigan’s football coach: Who would be better?

Most answers don’t make sense. For all the disappointment about losses to Ohio State and a noticeable lack of championship hardware, Harbaugh has poured a solid foundation. The Wolverines have been good and potentially could move to another level if they extend Harbaugh’s contract, which is in the sixth of seven years.

Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck is the possible exception. He turned Western Michigan into a major bowl participant. He developed Minnesota into an 11-game winner capable of defeating Auburn in a bowl game.

Of course, if Michigan goes into Minneapolis Saturday night and beats the Gophers, it will be a moot point, at least for awhile.

But if Minnesota wins this game, don’t be surprised if a drum suggesting P.J. Fleck to Michigan begins to beat.

That may not be fair to Jim Harbaugh, but it is the reality of his chosen profession and current position.

Go Gophers!!

Oh goody....this BS again. If you take Fleck at his word, being the only power 5 team in the state is important to him. So that would take Michigan out of the equation.

Plus, why the hell would he want to go coach Michigan? He is in the Big Ten already, in a very winnable division, making great money, at a school that has bought into his brand and given him basically everything he has asked for. Why go to Michigan where you have to go head to head with Ohio State every year and cater to a crazy fanbase with super high expectations? I know the talking heads love to speculate about this stuff but it just makes no sense. And I don't buy the prestige angle for a guy like Fleck, I just don't think that "helmet school" BS really has much pull with him.

I wouldn't be able to handle it if PJ immediately went to the other U of M. That be like your girlfriend dumping you for some guy who lives on your street and has a much nicer car. You would see them cruising by all the time, laughing, smiling. 😢 This is reopening old wounds....😭

I wouldn't be able to handle it if PJ immediately went to the other U of M. That be like your girlfriend dumping you for some guy who lives on your street and has a much nicer car. You would see them cruising by all the time, laughing, smiling. 😢 This is reopening old wounds....😭

If Fleck was looking to get out of town he would have cashed in last year but he instead elected to sign an extension. Maybe I will end up being wrong but I just don't see him leaving anytime soon, and I definitely don't see him going to another school in the Big Ten.

6 Coaches Floated As Possible Replacements For Jim Harbaugh

The next name mentioned was Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck. Before landing the job as the Golden Gophers head coach, Fleck led Western Michigan in one of the craziest turn arounds college football has ever seen. In 2013 Fleck and the Broncos had an abysmal 1-11 season. In 2016, they completely flipped the script, going 13-1 and making a Cotton Bowl appearance where they fell to Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom