All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

I saw it on Yahoo.sports. I find these reports annoying and understand they are just doing their job. Other Big programs have been more successful finding coaches who stay and are not always looking for the next opportunity.

Interesting speculation but harbaugh isn't going anywhere nor is Michigan likely to make a move before his contract expires. Fans and alumni are getting restless howeve r, especially after losing to MSU. If Michigan decides to move on from harbau gh, it definitely will look for another "Michigan man" ( think Lloyd Carr type ) versus taking the latest hot coach (think Rich Rodriguez). PJ? Not going to happen.

Interesting speculation but harbaugh isn't going anywhere nor is Michigan likely to make a move before his contract expires. Fans and alumni are getting restless howeve r, especially after losing to MSU. If Michigan decides to move on from harbau gh, it definitely will look for another "Michigan man" ( think Lloyd Carr type ) versus taking the latest hot coach (think Rich Rodriguez). PJ? Not going to happen.

Harbaugh's contract expires after next season, there's a really good chance they move on from him after this season. I agree that they won't replace Harbaugh with PJ.

Given the reduction in revenues this year, there aren't going to be many programs firing a coach under contract with a sizeable buyout, buying out assistants' contracts, paying the buyout of a coach under contract elsewhere so they can sign him to a big new contract and hire a whole new staff. Michigan might be an exception given the way that they can raise money, but it's a bad look to be cutting back everywhere and then taking on additional expenses. Better chance that Michigan tells him that they are reluctant to extend him and encourages him to move on, maybe back to the NFL?

Given the reduction in revenues this year, there aren't going to be many programs firing a coach under contract with a sizeable buyout, buying out assistants' contracts, paying the buyout of a coach under contract elsewhere so they can sign him to a big new contract and hire a whole new staff. Michigan might be an exception given the way that they can raise money, but it's a bad look to be cutting back everywhere and then taking on additional expenses. Better chance that Michigan tells him that they are reluctant to extend him and encourages him to move on, maybe back to the NFL?
Not only that, but are contracts going to continue to escalate? There will likely be some plateau in salaries for a couple cycles.

What's odd is Harbaugh's historical strength (QB) has become his weakness. If Michigan had a QB there would be no rumblings in Ann Arbor.

A very close friend is a huge Michigan booster (as is his father, who owns a company that owns half of downtown Ann Arbor, and was a past executive in the Michigan athletics department). After their Maryland loss he texted "Harbaugh is done. But rest easy, we don't want PJ." He doesn't think Fleck has accomplished enough for long enough to take the reigns at Michigan, but like most Wolverines fans he's more than a bit delusional, so I guess anything can happen.

A very close friend is a huge Michigan booster (as is his father, who owns a company that owns half of downtown Ann Arbor, and was a past executive in the Michigan athletics department). After their Maryland loss he texted "Harbaugh is done. But rest easy, we don't want PJ." He doesn't think Fleck has accomplished enough for long enough to take the reigns at Michigan, but like most Wolverines fans he's more than a bit delusional, so I guess anything can happen.
They see themselves as a national elite program, and will want a coach they deem worthy of that. Harbough definitely fit the bill. Hasn't worked out.

The Bob Stoops idea is interesting, no idea if he has any interest.

Michigan may not have to fire Harbaugh at all. There are rumblings he is looking to return to the NFL on his own. Michigan likely isn't going to stop him from doing that, as it may have 2-3 years ago. Question is if there is an NFL owner who will hire him. He was successful at SF, but is that enough to get a new job?

Michigan may not have to fire Harbaugh at all. There are rumblings he is looking to return to the NFL on his own. Michigan likely isn't going to stop him from doing that, as it may have 2-3 years ago. Question is if there is an NFL owner who will hire him. He was successful at SF, but is that enough to get a new job?
I get that the NFL just recycles people but in the era of new wide open offenses of the college game infiltrating the pro game....harbaugh wouldn’t be a very exciting to a pro fan base

As Bo said when he was AD ( I think) -

"A Michigan Man will be the coach at Michigan!"

Place a insane amount of arrogance and hubris when uttering those words, lol.

As Bo said when he was AD ( I think) -

"A Michigan Man will be the coach at Michigan!"

Place a insane amount of arrogance and hubris when uttering those words, lol.
Just for context, this quote had nothing to do with football. Bill Frieder, a Michigan man himself and the head basketball coach at Michigan, decided to take the job at Arizona State. News broke before the NCAA tournament. Frieder intended to/offered to/wanted to stay through the end of the season, but Bo fired him and named Steve Fisher as interim head coach. Fisher then lead Michigan into the tournament, won it and got the job full-time.

Just for context, this quote had nothing to do with football. Bill Frieder, a Michigan man himself and the head basketball coach at Michigan, decided to take the job at Arizona State. News broke before the NCAA tournament. Frieder intended to/offered to/wanted to stay through the end of the season, but Bo fired him and named Steve Fisher as interim head coach. Fisher then lead Michigan into the tournament, won it and got the job full-time.

Thank you for your post and yes I understand the circumstances of when Bo uttered those priceless words (one of my favorite sports quotes of all time).

Allow me to clarify, my post was a commentary regarding the overall arrogance which permeates Ann Arbor and how insanely provincial they are. I used that quote in the context that it is a perfect illustration of that mindset IMO.

If Harbaugh is canned, I would be shocked if they don't hire a new coach who has some type of tie to Michigan, i.e. a Michigan Man.

If Harbaugh is canned, I would be shocked if they don't hire a new coach who has some type of tie to Michigan, i.e. a Michigan Man.
Bo was not a Michigan man when hired, but I believe every head football coach since has been a former player or assistant, except for Rich Rodriguez. That went so badly that I agree any replacement is likely to be a Michigan man, although Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell would be serious candidates if interested. I don't believe that either of them have any Michigan ties.

Michigan will hire the best coach they can convince to come in. Go to a big 6 bowl game and two years later be run out of town for going 9-4.

Doesn’t matter where he is from

Michigan will hire the best coach they can convince to come in. Go to a big 6 bowl game and two years later be run out of town for going 9-4.

Doesn’t matter where he is from
They believe they should be what Ohio State is now, and in the process put Ohio State in the place Michigan is now.

They aren't capable of settling for anything less than that.

I get that the NFL just recycles people but in the era of new wide open offenses of the college game infiltrating the pro game....harbaugh wouldn’t be a very exciting to a pro fan base

The Jets will take anyone not named Adam Gase at this point

5 Potential Head Coach Candidates for the Michigan Wolverines

1. P.J. Fleck
A couple years ago P.J. Fleck was one of the hottest names on the coaching market, but Minnesota was one of the best job openings. After turning Western Michigan into a team that made a New Year’s Six Bowl game, he has done big things at Minnesota. Last season, the Golden Gophers won 11 games, including the Outback Bowl over Auburn. This season has not gone as planned, but a lot of key players were lost from last year’s team. With more time, Fleck could build Minnesota back up.

Fleck already has experience turning around one Big Ten team and with the resources of Michigan, he could do wonders. He also knows the midwest and how to recruit. If Michigan ends up firing Harbaugh, Fleck would be the safest pick to lead the Wolverines into the future.

Go Gophers!!

5 Potential Head Coach Candidates for the Texas Longhorns

4. P.J. Fleck
It is only a matter of time before P.J. Fleck gets a big-time job. He has been at Minnesota since 2017. He successfully completed a turnaround of the program, as the Golden Gophers went 11-2 with a win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl last season. This season has been a disaster, but after already proving to be able to rebuild both Minnesota and Western Michigan, Fleck will still be a hot name in the coaching market.

Fleck doesn’t have experience in the state of Texas, which could hold back recruiting against some of the other top schools in the state. He is a great coach though, who with time could build the recruiting relationships needed to succeed at Texas.

Go Gophers!!

Texas would be a nice paycheck but holy moly what a demanding fan base! They have no problem recruiting there, they need a excellent X's and O's coach more than anything.

Texas would be a nice paycheck but holy moly what a demanding fan base! They have no problem recruiting there, they need a excellent X's and O's coach more than anything.
Yeah I can’t imagine.
Minnesota goes 11-2 and finishes top 10
Starts a pandemic year 2-3 to follow it up and some Minnesota fans want the coordinators fired.

Multiply by 100 and you have Michigan
By 1000 and you have Texas.

neither Texas, nor Michigan, nor Notre Dame are firing their coaches this year

Yeah I can’t imagine.
Minnesota goes 11-2 and finishes top 10
Starts a pandemic year 2-3 to follow it up and some Minnesota fans want the coordinators fired.
Where as when Texas finishes 10-2 and top 10 and they want the head coach gone for not winning it all...

neither Texas, nor Michigan, nor Notre Dame are firing their coaches this year

Texas - will almost certainly fire its coach
Michigan - may fire its coach
Notre Dame - will not fire its coach.

You can't disagree with it all. You already said you don't think ND is firing its coach. :)
I only disagree with the parts that are wrong.
If Texas fires their coach it is because they already have a ringer lined up (urban Meyer)

I think harbaugh has an extension by the end of the month

I only disagree with the parts that are wrong.
If Texas fires their coach it is because they already have a ringer lined up (urban Meyer)

I think harbaugh has an extension by the end of the month

Urban Meyer has already said no to Texas. But, Texas has now devalued its current head coach so much with the public flirtation of Meyer, they have almost no choice but to fire Herman. Fans and boosters hate him. Players are quitting and transferring.

If Michigan gives Harbaugh any type of real contract extension, the fans will revolt. I doubt he even gets a token extension and it is more than likely they will part ways in some way.

Notre Dame will not fire its coach, but could potentially lose its coach to the NFL.

Let's revisit at the end of the month.

Top Bottom