All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

I agree we will not pay 9mil. But does he want to be the man who brought up the program. Or does he want to be the man that took over blue blood.
But the unanswered question is, in these days with established blue bloods that get all the 5* players that you probably need to win a national title ... can a school that was a on the lower end of the P5 group, rise all the way up to that top level??

Maybe. But if there is a ceiling for Minnesota -- and I don't think even most Gopher fans would have a problem accepting that there ultimately is for us and that it is lower than making the CFP more often than not -- eventually Fleck might like to see if his way of doing things can win a national title.

EXACTLY!!!
The only way a coach becomes a legend at a blue blood school is if they win a national championship. Also those fans tend to turn on coaches very quickly.
At Minnesota, Fleck is allowed to build his team the way he wants, has a longer leash than he would at a blue blood, and if he is able to have any kind of prolonged success at Minnesota he will be a legend.
Not sure that all coaches are trying to become a legend or whatever that means. But i could see him wanting to stay here. Who knows but he will have to win at least conference titles for this legend status. You can go to a blue blood and become as big as it gets. Saban did it, Urban did it, Carroll did it, Holtz did it.

Everything starts with a dream.

In PJ Fleck's case a big one. If the Gophers can win a Big Ten title, he has a shot for a lasting legacy that is his own. One that is not dictated by the traditions of established P5 schools with huge expectations for immediate results. Some of these programs will not hesitate to fire coaches with nine wins.

The mark of a great coach is one who builds up a program from mediocrity to greatness not aided by taking over a team full of high level talent.

tOSU is a plug-n-play program. How would Ryan Day do if he was the coach of the Gophers instead of PJ Fleck since 2011?

My gut tells me PJ Fleck is here for the long haul if Gopher Recruiting keeps blowing up year after year. PJ is very shrewd at selling the Gopher brand nationally at every opportunity. He backed up the talk with an 11-win campaign.

Imagine what he can do if he has the team talent level that Franklin at PSU or Malzahn at Auburn have.

For the first time in a long time, I sense that the Gophers winning a national title in the future a possible dream. Let's start with winning the Big Ten West title first.

Last edited:

Everything starts with a dream.

In PJ Fleck's case a big one. If the Gophers can win a Big Ten title, he has a shot for a lasting legacy that is his own. One that is not dictated by the traditions of established P5 schools with huge expectations for immediate results. Some of these programs will not hesitate to fire coaches with nine wins.

The mark of a great coach is one who builds up a program from mediocrity to greatness not aided by taking over a team full of high level talent.

tOSU is a plug-n-play program. How would Ryan Day do if he was the coach of the Gophers instead of PJ Fleck since 2011?

My gut tells me PJ Fleck is here for the long haul if Gopher Recruiting keeps blowing up year after year. PJ is very shrewd at selling the Gopher brand nationally at every opportunity. He backed up the talk with an 11-win campaign.

Imagine what he can do if he has the team talent level that Franklin at PSU or Malzahn at Auburn have.

For the first time in a long time, I sense that the Gophers winning a national title in the future a possible dream. Let's start with winning the Big Ten West title first.
In 99% of situations winning the big ten west means you are 3 wins from a national title.

Not sure that all coaches are trying to become a legend or whatever that means. But i could see him wanting to stay here. Who knows but he will have to win at least conference titles for this legend status. You can go to a blue blood and become as big as it gets. Saban did it, Urban did it, Carroll did it, Holtz did it.
Why would they coach if they don't want to be the best. And yes some coaches are able to successfully handle a blue blood program and win championships but many more coaches aren't up to the task and are gone in a few years.

Why would they coach if they don't want to be the best. And yes some coaches are able to successfully handle a blue blood program and win championships but many more coaches aren't up to the task and are gone in a few years.
Yes! If you can win big ten championship you can get to national championship game. Not gonna be any different at any other place.

per Shooter:

There’s already buzz that Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck is on Notre Dame’s radar should the Irish falter this year under Brian Kelly, who is to begin his 11th season in South Bend.

Go Gophers!!
Good! I want a coach that's on Everyone's radar!

The only way Fleck will ever be considered the best is to win a national championship with a team that hasn't won one for 50 or 60 years, or ever. Winning championships with teams that have been winning them on and off for decades will never make him a legend in his own time. Fleck winning a national championship with the Gophers will be noticed and celebrated everywhere, and the sports culture he
is building in Minnesota will be copied by college teams in every conference and in all sports.

Last edited:

You can coach to build a championship program, the coaches i have known are not in the legend obsession fans have. Fleck is laser focused on having this program be as good as it can.

The only way Fleck will ever be considered the best is to win a national championship with a team that hasn't won one for 50 or 60 years, or ever. Winning championships with teams that have been winning them on and off for decades will never make him a legend in his own time. Fleck winning a national championship with the Gophers will be noticed and celebrated everywhere, and the sports culture he
is building in Minnesota will be copied by college teams in every conference and in all sports.
Why Saban became one at a place where they had won in way less in 50 years. He would be a much larger national figure winning at Notre Dame. There is no doubt it is a more difficult task here and more impressive to me but those kinds of programs dwarf our in national prominence.

I agree for the most part. For "dormant" blue bloods who haven't been competing for championships for awhile, (USC, Nebraska, Miami, Notre Dame, etc.) winning a championship would still make that coach a legend but not to the same effect as at MN.

I agree for the most part. For "dormant" blue bloods who haven't been competing for championships for awhile, (USC, Nebraska, Miami, Notre Dame, etc.) winning a championship would still make that coach a legend but not to the same effect as at MN.
Better win a few conference titles to build that avenue to the national title. We have fans who think he is already a Legend. Winning at ND is such a bigger deal nationally. They millions and millions more of a following. It would be more of a accomplishment here . I am focused on earning a spot in the Big 10 title game.

Better win a few conference titles to build that avenue to the national title. We have fans who think he is already a Legend. Winning at ND is such a bigger deal nationally. They millions and millions more of a following. It would be more of a accomplishment here . I am focused on earning a spot in the Big 10 title game.
Obviously the Gophers have a ways to go to get to the point of national championships. I was just saying that it would be a way bigger deal at MN and similar colleges that haven't competed for championships in a long time than it would for blue bloods.

Hopefully, Notre Dame makes the playoff, so we don’t have to speculate about it.

Obviously the Gophers have a ways to go to get to the point of national championships. I was just saying that it would be a way bigger deal at MN and similar colleges that haven't competed for championships in a long time than it would for blue bloods.
Would for sure be a bigger deal AT Minnesota if he did it at Minnesota.

Hopefully, Notre Dame makes the playoff, so we don’t have to speculate about it.
Agree. I do not have a strong feeling about him staying here or leaving. I just hope he stays because finding really good coaches has been a nightmare here.

Why Saban became one at a place where they had won in way less in 50 years. He would be a much larger national figure winning at Notre Dame. There is no doubt it is a more difficult task here and more impressive to me but those kinds of programs dwarf our in national prominence.

Agreed, put I have a feeling that Saban's legacy at Alabama (or Notre Dame) can never equal the legacies of Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne. He will always be in second place as coach of those programs. But I don't think Saban is as interested in establishing a legacy in the way that Fleck wants.

What I think Fleck wants for his career he could never get at programs like Alabama or Notre Dame. I believe he wants to blaze a new trail in college football and build the Gopher's program in ways that have never been done before. His goal is to make it more than a football program because he views himself as more than a football coach. By now it should be obvious to everyone that Fleck wants his players and their families to view him as an educator and life coach. He says it every chance he gets.

I don't think it will be enough for Fleck to win football championships if his players don't excel off the football field as well as on the field. I am guessing Fleck wants to make a significant impact in the world in ways that go far beyond football. He can do that at the U as well or better than anywhere else in the country. And if he does, very few other fan bases in college football will be as deserving and appreciative as the long-suffering Gopher fans.

Last edited:

It would be unbelievable for Fleck to bring a National Title to Minnesota. It's not even just specifically about being Minnesota, it's just extremely impressive if you're outside of the names Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State to win a national title at this point. LSU did take last years, but I'll be curious to see their follow up in the next couple years if they continue to be in the playoff.
Its amazing the lack of parity since the playoff has gone into affect. I wouldn't expect that to continue over the next 5 to 10 years but we'll see.

Agreed, put I have a feeling that Saban's legacy at Alabama (or Notre Dame) can never equal the legacies of Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne. He will always be in second place as coach of those programs. But I don't think Saban is as interested in establishing a legacy in the way that Fleck is.

What I think Fleck wants for his career he could never get at programs like Alabama or Notre Dame. I believe he wants to blaze a new trail in college football and build the Gopher's program in ways that have never been done before. His goal is to make it more than a football program because he views himself as more than a football coach. By now it should be obvious to everyone that Fleck wants his players and their families to view him as an educator and life coach. He says it every chance he gets.

I don't think it will be enough for Fleck to win football championships if his players don't excel off the football field as well as on the field. I am guessing Fleck wants to make a significant impact in the world in ways that go far beyond football. He can do that at the U as well or better than anywhere else in the country. And if he does, very few other fan bases in college football will be as deserving and appreciative as the long-suffering Gopher fans.
Agree. He wants to do what Tony Bennett did in basketball. Winning conference titles, National champs and dozens of players changing the world way beyond basketball. Love it, get it done.

PJ Fleck will be near the top of many schools' wish lists until the Gophers are bad at football again.

Remember when we all obsessed over Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson and stuff? It's gonna be like that for every other school that has an opening until either the Gophers are an every-year national contender for a solid decade and folks give up...or we return to suck.

Built, you are really chafing at the word "legend" in this thread. In the post above you're saying some here already think he's a legend. Nobody here thinks he's a legend. Nobody. I think I brought it up first, simply spoofing Fleck's own words. You keep saying he needs to win a conference title to be a legend. Everybody agrees with that.

It's quite clear that some people are saying -- hoping -- that he can become a legend if he stays. Does that help? Can we agree on that?

Built, you are really chafing at the word "legend" in this thread. In the post above you're saying some here already think he's a legend. Nobody here thinks he's a legend. Nobody. I think I brought it up first, simply spoofing Fleck's own words. You keep saying he needs to win a conference title to be a legend. Everybody agrees with that.

It's quite clear that some people are saying -- hoping -- that he can become a legend if he stays. Does that help? Can we agree on that?
Absolutely.

I think if ND comes knocking its a done deal, he gone. Every AD knows that he wants to bring along the RTB schtick, so if theyre asking him to coach there they are fine with it. They will simply offer more money than we can match and he will have his dream job. More power to him for achieving his dream, but he would have to win at a high level immediately at ND. Its not like they have untalented players.

If we have another excellent season and President Gabel proves to be a Football lover who recognizes the value of a highly successful program. She might back up the brinks truck to keep him. I see how staying at MN could provide much more stability in the long term. We are (currently) happy with any sort of winning that puts us near the top of B1G west. PJ strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't stay just for that reason. Perhaps he likes Coyle, Gabel, The state, and his family likes it too. Fingers crossed! He has been the most exciting coach at the U since Clem.

I think if ND comes knocking its a done deal, he gone. Every AD knows that he wants to bring along the RTB schtick, so if theyre asking him to coach there they are fine with it. They will simply offer more money than we can match and he will have his dream job. More power to him for achieving his dream, but he would have to win at a high level immediately at ND. Its not like they have untalented players.

If we have another excellent season and President Gabel proves to be a Football lover who recognizes the value of a highly successful program. She might back up the brinks truck to keep him. I see how staying at MN could provide much more stability in the long term. We are (currently) happy with any sort of winning that puts us near the top of B1G west. PJ strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't stay just for that reason. Perhaps he likes Coyle, Gabel, The state, and his family likes it too. Fingers crossed! He has been the most exciting coach at the U since Clem.
Hopefully hes another Dabo. Made Clemson so an elite, blue blood program thats not an SEC school.

It would be unbelievable for Fleck to bring a National Title to Minnesota. It's not even just specifically about being Minnesota, it's just extremely impressive if you're outside of the names Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State to win a national title at this point. LSU did take last years, but I'll be curious to see their follow up in the next couple years if they continue to be in the playoff.

Clemson is a relatively recent addition to that list, and proof that there is some turnover.

I recall a time where it would have been unthinkable that among USC, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Florida State and Miami, none of the above would finish in the Top 10 of the final AP poll.

Power shifts slowly in college football. But it does shift.

I don’t even think he is on the hot seat.
He is 33-6 the last 3 years

The 3 years before that he was 22-16 with the death of a manager and the fallout of a scandal that caused them to vacate wins from previous years...they didn’t fire him then...why would they now?

But the unanswered question is, in these days with established blue bloods that get all the 5* players that you probably need to win a national title ... can a school that was a on the lower end of the P5 group, rise all the way up to that top level??

Maybe. But if there is a ceiling for Minnesota -- and I don't think even most Gopher fans would have a problem accepting that there ultimately is for us and that it is lower than making the CFP more often than not -- eventually Fleck might like to see if his way of doing things can win a national title.
It would take some time, but definitely can be done. Clemson and Bama are actually more recent examples of it being done. Other than a nice run in the late 80s, Clemson had been pretty average at best until Sweeney arrived. Alabama was more or less up and down after Bryant left until Saban arrived. USC had a nice run with Pete Carroll.

I don’t even think he is on the hot seat.
He is 33-6 the last 3 years

The 3 years before that he was 22-16 with the death of a manager and the fallout of a scandal that caused them to vacate wins from previous years...they didn’t fire him then...why would they now?
Yeah, I don't get this either...the seat is always somewhat warm but Kelly is not in danger by any stretch.

Yeah, I don't get this either...the seat is always somewhat warm but Kelly is not in danger by any stretch.
I agree. He fits Notre Dame’s culture and his name can’t be anymore Irish.

Top Bottom