All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

This. Western WI is way closer to the Twin Cities than anywhere in MN to Madison.

It's probably incredibly shortsighted and could be the beautiful gorgeous Sunday afternoon cocktails talking but would love to dump reciprocity with WI.
Reciprocity is much more than who roots for who. It opens up so many more school options for students. I used it and both of my kids used it for parts of there college. There are a lot of Twin Cities kids going to the small colleges just across the boarders.

There are WAY too many kids from Wisconsin that take advantage of reciprocity and go to the U. They stay in MSP for better jobs too after school.

I remember when I went to the U how many annoying Packer fans we had to deal with. Worse though, are the kids from Wisconsin who attend the U and wear Badger gear in the student section when we play each other. Total turds.
The Twin Cites is the major source of good paying jobs for anyone who wants to stay in the region. It brings in all of the kids from outstate and from all over the surrounding area. It can make it a pain to have to listen to the Packer fans, but it comes from our success.

Reciprocity is much more than who roots for who. It opens up so many more school options for students. I used it and both of my kids used it for parts of there college. There are a lot of Twin Cities kids going to the small colleges just across the boarders.
And they are making lifelong friends with people from there and all over, marrying them, having kids. Sports has played a very significant role in our family history for 5 generations. But never at the cost of friends or fun conversation with other fan bases from all over. In our family kids and grand kids have picked schools and teams from all over the country.

hoping for an early Winter for Minnesota. not sure a 6 from a guy who is 2 for 2 is enough though
Flood is 2-2 on 2023 recruits and lifetime he is 836-1191 (70.19%). Would it be fair to assume the chance of Nolan committing to the Gophers is now ~70%?

After reading about Jaxon Howard going to LSU, I’d be happy to have a 70% chance at Winter.

hoping for an early Winter for Minnesota. not sure a 6 from a guy who is 2 for 2 is enough though
These are exactly the kind of recruits we need to start winning regularly for the program to take the next step. He isn't going to land every local kid and he might not land the top 5 stars but if he can consistently improve our instate recruiting with guys like Winter, Payne, Carrington, etc., I feel really good about our future.

I won't get my hopes up because I'm a Gopher fan, but this is encouraging.

Flood is 2-2 on 2023 recruits and lifetime he is 836-1191 (70.19%). Would it be fair to assume the chance of Nolan committing to the Gophers is now ~70%?

After reading about Jaxon Howard going to LSU, I’d be happy to have a 70% chance at Winter.
A number of these crystal ball predictions are made almost immediately before the player commits, like 3 or 4 days before, if that. If you look through his previous correct predictions, most of them are made in this time frame, at which point I assume the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak, and everyone knows where the player is going, and a flood of crystal ball predictions rush in. If he crystal balls Winter to Minnesota, and then on September 15th switches his prediction to Stanford, and Winter commits to Stanford on September 17th, then the prediction is still counted as correct. I thought there was some sort of scoring system where a 247 guy gets a greater reputation boost the farther in advance that he correctly predicts a commitment, so that you're not considered some sort of expert prognosticator for being the 20th person to predict Jalen Suggs to Gonzaga, 15 minutes before he announces his commitment, but I'm not sure where that gets factored in.

I would take the prediction to mean that one guy with some inside knowledge of Wisconsin recruiting believes that Minnesota is currently in the lead.

A number of these crystal ball predictions are made almost immediately before the player commits, like 3 or 4 days before, if that. If you look through his previous correct predictions, most of them are made in this time frame, at which point I assume the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak, and everyone knows where the player is going, and a flood of crystal ball predictions rush in. If he crystal balls Winter to Minnesota, and then on September 15th switches his prediction to Stanford, and Winter commits to Stanford on September 17th, then the prediction is still counted as correct. I thought there was some sort of scoring system where a 247 guy gets a greater reputation boost the farther in advance that he correctly predicts a commitment, so that you're not considered some sort of expert prognosticator for being the 20th person to predict Jalen Suggs to Gonzaga, 15 minutes before he announces his commitment, but I'm not sure where that gets factored in.

I would take the prediction to mean that one guy with some inside knowledge of Wisconsin recruiting believes that Minnesota is currently in the lead.
Wisconsin has moved on, they took Gus Yalden for their big man, kinda surprised they didn't take Kapke instead since Kapke out played Yalden head to head, same game Betts had 20 and 12 and hit for three's against D1 Minnesota. Wisconsin's all in on guys like Gehrig Normand and Jamie Kaiser, couple of 6'6" Wings, think they want someone for Wahl's spot, back him up for a year and move into the starting spot. For Winter it's us and Stanford, but I'm not sure if they've backed off after Nolan's injury.

Wisconsin has moved on, they took Gus Yalden for their big man, kinda surprised they didn't take Kapke instead since Kapke out played Yalden head to head, same game Betts had 20 and 12 and hit for three's against D1 Minnesota. Wisconsin's all in on guys like Gehrig Normand and Jamie Kaiser, couple of 6'6" Wings, think they want someone for Wahl's spot, back him up for a year and move into the starting spot. For Winter it's us and Stanford, but I'm not sure if they've backed off after Nolan's injury.
Good recap. What injury?

Kapke was never offered by WI.
He took a non-official there, but WI didn't offer.

Border Battle breaking out for 6-foot-11 Lakeville North basketball star Nolan Winter​

The Gophers and Wisconsin coaching staffs will be in attendance in Vegas to watch Winter's possible return to the court Wednesday night. The border rivals are two of the programs recruiting the 2023 standout the hardest this summer.

An official visit with the Badgers is scheduled for Winter on Aug. 3. No official is set yet with the home state program, but Winter is already familiar with the Gophers.

Winter's father, Trevor, played for the U's 1997 Final Four team. Winter's built a strong relationship with coach Ben Johnson and assistant Dave Thorson.

"I'm in constant contact with Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson," Winter said. "They've been to every one of my games. I'm going down to Vegas and Coach Johnson and Coach Thorson are coming down there [not knowing] if I'm going to even play. They're really making me a priority and showing they really want me."

Since the Gophers offered him a scholarship last summer, Winter's grown a couple inches and established his own identity as a player. He is nearing his 7-foot father in height, but they have completely different playing styles.

"He's been playing well, and he keeps growing," Trevor Winter said of his son. "He has a lot of things going for him."

Nolan Winter has made a name for himself as one of the best outside shooting big men in his class. He's the No. 2 player in 2023 in Minnesota behind Totino-Grace's Taison Chatman and No. 88 nationally, according to PrepHoops.com.

"The schools who have offered me know my dad, but they said that's not why we offered you," Winter said. "My dad was a great player, but my game is nowhere near what his was. He was a bruiser in the post with a short corner jumper. I'm a stretch four playing on the perimeter. I'll go inside but I'm working on getting in the post a lot more."

Being the son of an ex-Gopher won't influence Winter's decision. Neither will the fact his high school has sent players to the Badgers in recent years with former center Nate Reuvers and current starting forward Tyler Wahl.

Winter also said Wisconsin's coaches have compared him to former Orono and Badgers big man Jon Leuer, who played in the NBA.

"I'll take an official out there and I'll see how I'm feeling about it," Winter said. "The Minnesota-Wisconsin pipeline and the fact that all the Lakeville kids went there — it's not influencing me to go there. I'll make my own decision and do what's right for me."

Go Gophers!!

2023 Three-star F Nolan Winter Recaps Official Visit to Wisconsin​

“The UW campus was just beautiful,” Winter said. “The college feel made it extra special; everybody there loves the Badgers, and the culture is awesome. The coaches and players are really cool, super easy to talk to, and are very nice.”
“Wednesday, we had meetings and got in-depth tours of the campus. I also talked to Coach Gard a lot; he showed me their playing styles and how I could fit in perfectly with how they want to play. I also hung out with the players for a while and got to know them more.”
“The staff sees me thriving at the four position and, over the years, transitioning into the 3,” Winter explained. “They compared me a lot to Sam Dekker and Jon Leuer. They also said they want me to have a big impact early on in my career.”
“I definitely could. Everything about UW is amazing, and it really does check all the boxes. Playing in Madison would be awesome, and more specifically in the Kohl center would be unreal.”
“I really like the coaches. Coach Gard, coach Krabbenhoft, and the others are super easy to talk to and want what’s best for me. They [UW] are honest with me about where I’m at and say the sky’s the limit on where I could wind up – they can benefit me greatly in the long run.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom