All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

I especially loved the last of those mock-ups with the stripes. Can't wait, apparently I won the Facebook drawing to go to the unveiling 'ceremony'.

Bastard! I saw that. Good for you. Be nice to have a firsthand review.

SWEET UNIFORM

I really like this from an FBT commentor.

yellow gopher jersey.jpg

I know all of you old asses will hate some of thes MOCK Pro Combat uniforms, but MVofDT did a great job photoshopping these pics to give us an idea of what the new uni's could look like.

I personally LOVE the first picture with the black pants. I also like the Stanford style at the end. The all maroon is also pretty good, but I'm not a fan of the Maroon jersey and Gold pants.

http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?q=bl...hotoshop-mock-gophers-nike-pro-combat-jerseys

View attachment 1330

View attachment 1331

View attachment 1332

View attachment 1333

To be fair, Emann was the guy who did the Photoshopping, not MV.

Bastard! I saw that. Good for you. Be nice to have a firsthand review.

lol I had to read the dumb post about 3 times before it actually sank in that it was my name.

Have to give a shout out and thumbs up to Josh. Especially for the Ski-U-Mah incorporation.

Josh Iverson is the Nike employee who worked with the Gophers on design (at least he is mentioned in the article from Gophersports.com). He is a former football player and graduate of Kasson-Mantorville HS.
I know he's also done TCU's Uni's as well.

Buck

I also mentioned to Josh (went to HS with him) that a lot of gopher holers had some great ideas, research, and strong opinions about the possibility of new uniforms and directed him to this thread. I am very excited to see what the uniform will look like and can't wait to see them in action on September 1st in Vegas.

I think a brick pattern somewhere incorporated would be sweet, as has been rumored.

So I was re-watching the latest video of them.. And I was wondering if anyone else thought that the block M looked bigger on the new helmets? It kinda seems like its a tad bigger than it was the last year.

I love the darker maroon looks great. It has a real industrial look which I like. Personally I would prefer a dark steely gold for the facemask instead of black, but that's just me. I also wish they would have been really daring and just put the M on one side. The matte maroon is good enough to stand by itself. I think they could pull it off.

Off the Fringe Bowl Blog mock-ups, I'm not a fan of he first one but love the second one. This looks amazing:

tumblr_lwh33k7yHd1qc45gp.jpg

I love the shade of maroon and gold in that getup. Leave the black to the facemask, gloves, and shoes. The only thing that would make it better is an even larger number.

So it's basically the same helmet with a better shell color and worse facemask color.

:eek: Oooooooooh.

And Ski-U-Mah on the back. Also, you are downplaying the change in color. Going from bedazzled Maroon helmets to a darker matte finish is a HUGE improvement. Lastly, the black facemask looks great. I'm just going to assume everyone that hates the facemask color is over 50 and would prefer we just play with leather helmets because that is the way we used to play ... etc.

And Ski-U-Mah on the back. Also, you are downplaying the change in color. Going from bedazzled Maroon helmets to a darker matte finish is a HUGE improvement. Lastly, the black facemask looks great. I'm just going to assume everyone that hates the facemask color is over 50 and would prefer we just play with leather helmets because that is the way we used to play ... etc.

Fair enough. It's a rational assumption that anyone who would prefer a uniform that sticks to school colors is over 50 and wants to see a return to leather helmets.

For my part, I'll assume that anyone who is fascinated by black clothing is a 15 year old kid going through an emo or goth phase.

I understand the darkness in your soul.

We need to attract the teenagers with cool uniforms, it's a competitive advantage. So if 15 year olds take notice of our cool uniforms, that's great. If you are 50 and think they are too flamboyant and literally only want Maroon and Gold in the uniforms, too bad, get over it. As Bob Dylan once said, The Times Are A Changin'.

The new helmets are sick, much better than the glitter paint job. Cant wait to see the complete uni's.

View Post

I don't like the black and I'm an undergrad here at the U. Is it the worse? Absolutely not. I just think a really dark gold would have looked even sicker on the facemask. I DO love the matte maroon and everything else about the helmet. There better not be any black on the jersey or pants, though.

I wonder how many teens we could attract by dumping the Gopher for a cooler mascot. Badgers have a distinct advantage, as they are bigger, meaner, and have black accents.

I wonder how many teens we could attract by dumping the Gopher for a cooler mascot. Badgers have a distinct advantage, as they are bigger, meaner, and have black accents.

168zr5w.jpg

I would think by now you would realize that uniforms should be sick, beastly and above all not maroon and gold.

I don't like the black and I'm an undergrad here at the U. Is it the worse? Absolutely not. I just think a really dark gold would have looked even sicker on the facemask. I DO love the matte maroon and everything else about the helmet. There better not be any black on the jersey or pants, though.
Start prepping yourself for some displeasure. I'm betting at least one of the uni's comes with at least some black accents.

I'm over 50 (a very young 50) and I love these helmets! I'm hoping that I am equally happy with the uniforms. I want to buy a jersey that I would feel good in. Something with bold stripes. If not, then no stripes at all.

I hear you. I would put myself in the middle aged catagory but like the black. I am not goth or going through a phase it is just something I like. We all have our preferences but I think in the end there is no way we will hate the new uniforms. For the crowd that doesn't like black just look at it this way. Black is actually the absence of color so it isn't like we are using a color that isn't a school color it is just a spot without a color. White is every color so white uniforms use colors that are not school colors. As long as they still call them the Minnesota Gophers I will still like them and cheer for them.

Actually not a bad idea as long as it isn't overdone like Marylands unis

For the crowd that doesn't like black just look at it this way. Black is actually the absence of color so it isn't like we are using a color that isn't a school color it is just a spot without a color.
Well played.

Hey MadtownGopher, you must be prejudiced. I'm 80, a Gopher fan since my teens and love the new helmets with the black face guards. You know what happens when you ASSume.

I like our new helmets, but I' not in love with them.

I prefer the darker matte finish, but I'm not a big fan of the use of black on our helmets. These are the first time we've used black as a dominant color as part of our uniform scheme ever. The colors maroon and gold represent the University of Minnesota, not black. We are not Northern Illinois, we are MINNESOTA.

I don't believe our Goldy Gopher will ever(our should) be dumped as our mascot. Goldy is one of the beloved and endearing traditions to fans of all age ranges and usually winds up in the top ten for ESPN's mascot competetion every year(voted for online by a large number of teens and 20somethings). A Badger, really? WTF?! Ohio State has a nut as their mascot for God's sake and have one of the most profitible athletic departments and largest fan bases in the nation.

Gopherdroppings
www.gopherjerseys.com

There is a thread on Rivals about our helmets if you guys want to see what others think. People seem to really like them.

Love the new helmets. Just really BA.
Clean, tough looking, tip of the cap to Ski U Mah tradition.
I really don't see what the big deal is with the facemask being black.
I bet 3/4 of fans with season tickets couldn't tell you what the old facemask color was.
Now if the uniforms have major black, that would be cause for discussion, but it might look good too.
Bottom line is we don't have a classic uniform like Penn St, or Alabama, our "classics" are a white helmet with numbers and without the block M which looks cheap, and an all mustard gold that just wouldn't translate to today's game.

Mason's style were nice, IMO Nike will go with something similar to what MV previewed, hopefully with a Gold top Maroon bottom option, and a unique, even crazy pro combat.
I like the rumors of some sort of brick pattern, maybe a gold brick pro combat top with a maroon brick pattern bottom and shiny gold shoes/gloves.

These are the first time we've used black as a dominant color as part of our uniform scheme ever.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused when the facemask and some bumpers became a "dominant" part of the helmet or uniform.

Top Bottom