All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

All the black supporters are forgetting one very important detail. Black and maroon DO NOT look good together. The facemask looks decent because it is a little bit of black with a lot of maroon. However, harken back to black Gopher uniforms of the past and they just did not look good. Hockey, men's b-ball had black unis and they were probably the worst we have ever seen. Why would a black football uni be any different?

How does this not look good? It's not a black jersey, but it shows how black pants and a maroon jersey can look VERY good. I love this combo.

tumblr_lwh2zs14911qc45gp.jpg

How does this not look good? It's not a black jersey, but it shows how black pants and a maroon jersey can look VERY good. I love this combo.

There is basically NO maroon in the pants. That's one reason this looks better. Also, the black background ties it together. I bet it doesn't look quite as sweet in full sunshine. That said, if there is going to be "full black" in any form pants like this are what I'd prefer.

More like a Notre Dame Gold but darker...

...except that's not one of our school colors. The current maroon and gold are correct.

To clarify, I think the helmets look awesome, but that's because a facemask and neck thingy are hardware, not the main uniform. That's the same reason I prefer black shoes, they look more BA. What I meant is I will be pissed if we have a monstrosity like that Mississippi State uniform that someone posted earlier in the thread.

To the poster that said black is the absence of color, I'm going to be a picky jerk. That is true about light (where white is all color and black is no color) but it's the opposite for things that reflect light (everything you see). So black fabric is all colors, including red. And better dead than red. Plus, we hate Iowa. And they wear black.

Maroon at home, gold as alternate, white on the road, and throwbacks on homecoming. That's my opinion.

Black looks aggressive on the facemask. It blends well with the rest of the helmet. No doubt Nike tried many options. Since black is on the helmet, it will no doubt be repeated elsewhere. My guess is it will appear as black socks, shoes, and probably a compression shirt. I have faith in the Nike designers to not screw this up. We aren't Oregon. We are not likely to give them free range to experiment. Not to mention oregon's unis are designed based on suggestions from the current players.

+1 I don't think Nike is going to screw up our jerseys. They won't experiment with us like they did with Oregon. Leading up to Maryland getting there crazy jerseys, there was a ton of rumors and speculation that the Terrapins would get some sort of Oregonish/weird/wacked out jerseys. I haven't heard any crazy rumors about the Gophers jerseys, so I have no reason to believe that Nike will try to make our jerseys over-futuristic.

I thought Marylands were made by Under Armor? I very well could be wrong on that. I heard that UA got a contract for a B1G team, I wonder who and how crazy that could get.

New Helmets Revealed

New helmet.jpgHaven't seen a thread about this yet so thought I would start one to see if there is any initial reaction to the new look. It is not a massive overhaul from the old look outside of the change in finish style from a glossy look to a matte look. Not sure how that will look under the lights but I guess we will find out. Another month or so to see the new uniforms.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/teams/Minnesota+Golden+Gophers/ncaaf.t.31

I thought Marylands were made by Under Armor? I very well could be wrong on that. I heard that UA got a contract for a B1G team, I wonder who and how crazy that could get.
They are. The founder of UA is a Maryland grad.

These are sick..... I think they're very very sharp. I know a lot of people would not like this because it messes with tradition, but I think the black face masks next to the matte maroon finish make it pop and comes off as a lil bit intimitading. The 'SKI-U-MAH' s/o is classy.

I have half thought or heard rumor that there would be a classic white with numbers on side and gold alternative helmet?

btw, that's a horrible article you posted from yahoo sports...... was it written by some slack-jawed iowan???

[Insert word NBA says I can't use any more that starts with a "G"]..........Thread..........Ever.

btw, that's a horrible article you posted from yahoo sports...... was it written by some slack-jawed iowan???

Dr. Saturday is a good blog, but it's been poking fun at the Gophers since their bad start to the year. I think it's kind of the default mode at this point.

These are sick..... I think they're very very sharp. I know a lot of people would not like this because it messes with tradition, but I think the black face masks next to the matte maroon finish make it pop and comes off as a lil bit intimitading. The 'SKI-U-MAH' s/o is classy.

I have half thought or heard rumor that there would be a classic white with numbers on side and gold alternative helmet?

So two alternates?? that would be sweet

The team is Northwestern. I hope they get their jerseys remade with a nerd theme. link

Or they could opt for the Maryland "Turtle Shell" package and we will see gray helmets with whisps of cat fur on them.
Fangs or scratches down the side panels a la Cincy's.

I swear that UA has Sidd & Marty Kroft decendents running their design teams.

Ummm...what? I think you have taken one too many 2x4's to the head. White is required to be worn by one team unless they apply for a waiver from the NCAA, see USC v. UCLA or Utah v. BYU. So it is totally different.

Yes guys, I understand that white is required. The point I was trying to make is that if some people are going to make such a big deal over a little black because it's not one of our colors, then why don't they make a big stink about us having to wear white (not one of our colors) on the road all the time? We could easily wear gold (light color) uniforms on the road and it would still be a big enough difference between most of our opponents.

Obviously, it's never going to happen and I'm fine with that. Just think some are overreacting to a little black because it's not our color. It's not a dominant color on the helmet, and like white, it's a pretty basic color.

station19 said:
I like blue and green. Maybe we should wear them once a year also.

And that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that contribution.

+1 I don't think Nike is going to screw up our jerseys.

You did see Michigan State's jerseys, yes? Since when are they green & gold? I wouldn't be surprised to see a maroon/black combo with gold trim. Ick.

You did see Michigan State's jerseys, yes? Since when are they green & gold? I wouldn't be surprised to see a maroon/black combo with gold trim. Ick.
Green represents the school and the gold represented the bronze shields that were the symbols of spartans.

It's a good thing MNVC started that thread. Otherwise, none of us would've known that the Gophers got new helmets.

So, you're comparing the one time Pro Combat design to an all the time design? That doesn't make much sense.

FreakyDeke;476719To the poster that said black is the absence of color said:
You need to go back to science class. The only colors humans see are what is reflected. Black reflects no color and white reflects all color. That is why anything that is black will be warmer to the touch than anything that is white. The black is absorbing all of the color wavelengths and reflecting nothing resulting in no color. Opposite is true for anything white. The helmet looks great though and I am sure I will like the rest of the uniform.

I didn't visit this thread much in its early life, but it is now quite entertaining. :clap:

So two alternates?? that would be sweet

At this point I have given up on tradition. So I am about to say "screw it" and advocate that we just turn into the Oregon or Oklahoma State of the Big 10. Lets just go wild and have a ton of different uni combos. Maroon Helmets, Gold Helmets, White Helmets, Carbon Helmets. What the heck, why not? What does Minnesota have to lose? It is one way to draw attention to the program. Did not work so well at Maryland, but that is because they hired Randy Edsall! Might as well be the first in the Big 10 to go uni crazy! Who is with me?

At this point I have given up on tradition. So I am about to say "screw it" and advocate that we just turn into the Oregon or Oklahoma State of the Big 10. Lets just go wild and have a ton of different uni combos. Maroon Helmets, Gold Helmets, White Helmets, Carbon Helmets. What the heck, why not? What does Minnesota have to lose? It is one way to draw attention to the program. Did not work so well at Maryland, but that is because they hired Randy Edsall! Might as well be the first in the Big 10 to go uni crazy! How is with me?

WHO, is on first?

Top Bottom