All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

My daughter and her fiance came over while I was watching the O-USC game. First thing she says "cool uniforms" then her fiance' says that was the team I was talking about. I guess it is a generational thing. I hate the Ducks uniforms.

I really like the old-school block M. Wouldn't mind seeing that make a comeback.

minnesota-77-78.gif

New tweet from Doogie:

"The #Gophers continue to work with Nike and will unveil a new football jersey. The timeline is not set in stone yet."

Go Gophers!!

Oregon Nike uniform

read an interesting article on the design of Oregons uni's for last years national championship. They used plain colors (white, gray, black) and a bright color in strategic places to give off the appearance of the players moving faster than they were. I have no idea what the Gophers plan for a new uni but some of the new designs Nike is coming out with are kinda neat. I looked through Nike's rumored new NFL uniforms and although I don't believe those will be adopted I do like most of their designs.

New tweet from Doogie:

"The #Gophers continue to work with Nike and will unveil a new football jersey. The timeline is not set in stone yet."

Go Gophers!!

hopefully it is more than just a new jersey. would also like to see new white pants (traditional style with a maroon & gold striping down the leg). get rid of all the silly denver broncos style piping you see on so many football uni's these days. wear white pants home and road. also go to a white helmet with just player's numbers on the side and a maroon & gold striping on the crown of the helmet from front to back. all black shoes and white socks.

We are the Golden Gophers. Need more of an emphasis on gold than a single piping of it down each leg. I have been and forever will be a proponent of the gold jersey/maroon pants we've seen in the Miami game this year and the Cal game several years back. Great color combination with the maroon helmet, and offsets the obsessively (not in a negative sense) maroon color scheme in our stadium.

Regardless, we will have to settle with they come up with because we will be stuck with it. Also, unless they go with old school replicas. Dump the white pants. White jerseys are bad enough for away games, keep a solid semblance of your primary colors on both home and away sets.

We are the Golden Gophers. Need more of an emphasis on gold than a single piping of it down each leg. I have been and forever will be a proponent of the gold jersey/maroon pants we've seen in the Miami game this year and the Cal game several years back. Great color combination with the maroon helmet, and offsets the obsessively (not in a negative sense) maroon color scheme in our stadium.

Regardless, we will have to settle with they come up with because we will be stuck with it. Also, unless they go with old school replicas. Dump the white pants. White jerseys are bad enough for away games, keep a solid semblance of your primary colors on both home and away sets.

I'm with you. I know we won't be going back to the Mason era design (like we should) but I certainly don't want to lose what we are: Golden Gophers. I like the balance of Maroon and Gold.

I'm with you. I know we won't be going back to the Mason era design (like we should) but I certainly don't want to lose what we are: Golden Gophers. I like the balance of Maroon and Gold.

See this I just don't get. We "should" go back to the Mason style? Why, exactly? The Gophers have changed uniforms too many times to count. We don't have a set jersey or as many here like to pine about, a "classic" set either. We are not Bama or Penn State and there is no tradition with our uniforms at all.

But hey, as long as the old timers and message board rubes are happy with them, rather than the players that will be recruited to wear them, all is well, right?

See this I just don't get. We "should" go back to the Mason style? Why, exactly? The Gophers have changed uniforms too many times to count. We don't have a set jersey or as many here like to pine about, a "classic" set either. We are not Bama or Penn State and there is no tradition with our uniforms at all.

But hey, as long as the old timers and message board rubes are happy with them, rather than the players that will be recruited to wear them, all is well, right?

+1

+1000

Despite what many people's opinions may be on going to classic uniforms, the only type of uniforms we would get in if the university decided to go with a completely new design would be the types modeled after Oregon, Arizona State, and Maryland. I'm 18 and I appreciate classic, simple jerseys more than the new ones, but the fact of the matter is, 95% of people in my generation LOVE the Oregon style. People have become Oregon fans just because of their uniforms. No university would in their right mind get new uniforms that are "old-styled." And as to the argument about recruits deciding based on jerseys, yes, it's true that MOST recruits don't care about new uniforms, but the important thing is that SOME do, and we need to do anything in our power to bring them in.

I love ASU's new uniforms. I guess I haven't seen any variations of that that would put them in the same category as Oregon and Maryland.

Maybe I'm the minority, but I think uniforms create fans at a much younger age than when I kid decides where to go to school. It's more appealling to young kids (4-14?) who are deciding which football teams they want to follow/like. Then they grow up and say "I don't know why I like Oregon, I've just always been a fan I guess". I don't think many recruits are picking their school based on what the team is wearing.

I can't believe you or anyone else think recruits choose schools based on uniforms.

Why? Because they were the best we have had. I also wrote that I liked the uni's we used last year and this year: Maroon and Gold. I guess I don't get what you are getting at? What do you want? And...why are the Mason era uni's bad? I'm neither an old timer or a rube-just someone who doesn't like yellow on yellow or white on white. (I expect a few jokes based on that last sentence...)

I really like the old-school block M. Wouldn't mind seeing that make a comeback.

minnesota-77-78.gif
The proportions on that one are way off, it looks like it has a wasting disease. The current design is much more powerful and bold.

Why? Because they were the best we have had. I also wrote that I liked the uni's we used last year and this year: Maroon and Gold. I guess I don't get what you are getting at? What do you want? And...why are the Mason era uni's bad? I'm neither an old timer or a rube-just someone who doesn't like yellow on yellow or white on white. (I expect a few jokes based on that last sentence...)
I don't think they're bad. I don't like them as much, but that's a personal preference. What do I want? For the team to be wearing a uniform as they win more. Could care less what it looks like. Sure, I do have my own preferences and if it's something it hate I'll be annoyed I'm sure. But in the end, a uniform debate for Minnesota is pretty pointless. It's one thing if you have a traditional look to work on. Then tradition becomes the goal and stepping away from it is bad. It makes for a more black and white discussion. But with the Gophers, the previous versions of the uni are seemingly endless. Which means you can't even use a forced reason like tradition to explain why one is better than the other. It's all subjective. And when face with a subjective muddle I prefer to defer to whatever the team, coaches, and perhaps the recruits like.

I don't mean to jump down your throat, it just gets really annoying whenever people pine for the Mason era jersey's or whichever glory years uniform set because they are "classic" or "clean". I know you didn't say that exactly but that seems to be the number 1 reason for a change to those two particular styles. Descriptors like "classic" or "clean" invoke images of Bama, Penn State, Notre Dame, and other powerhouse programs that have had minimal if any, changes to their uniforms, not Minnesota. The Gophers don't have that luxury of a nationally known uniform tradition and if they feel the need to have to work with Nike to try to catch the eye of potential recruits, so be it.

For what it's worth I don't have a particular preference to a uniform style or color combo, I would just like them to stick with one style instead of changing every time a new regime comes into town.

I don't think they're bad. I don't like them as much, but that's a personal preference. What do I want? For the team to be wearing a uniform as they win more. Could care less what it looks like. Sure, I do have my own preferences and if it's something it hate I'll be annoyed I'm sure. But in the end, a uniform debate for Minnesota is pretty pointless. It's one thing if you have a traditional look to work on. Then tradition becomes the goal and stepping away from it is bad. It makes for a more black and white discussion. But with the Gophers, the previous versions of the uni are seemingly endless. Which means you can't even use a forced reason like tradition to explain why one is better than the other. It's all subjective. And when face with a subjective muddle I prefer to defer to whatever the team, coaches, and perhaps the recruits like.

No, no, no...it is what I like that is most important!

Not sure if you think that I believe we have some tradition with uniforms, because I don't. I just like the Mason era better than some of the "cute" uni's Brewster tried.

I don't care if we go with something like Oregon as long as it incorporates Maroon and Gold in it.

I don't mean to jump down your throat, it just gets really annoying whenever people pine for the Mason era jersey's or whichever glory years uniform set because they are "classic" or "clean". I know you didn't say that exactly but that seems to be the number 1 reason for a change to those two particular styles. Descriptors like "classic" or "clean" invoke images of Bama, Penn State, Notre Dame, and other powerhouse programs that have had minimal if any, changes to their uniforms, not Minnesota. The Gophers don't have that luxury of a nationally known uniform tradition and if they feel the need to have to work with Nike to try to catch the eye of potential recruits, so be it.

For what it's worth I don't have a particular preference to a uniform style or color combo, I would just like them to stick with one style instead of changing every time a new regime comes into town.

Cool-cool.

For the record: I don't think the Mason jerseys were classic or clean. They were more "mean" in my mind. "Mean" despite the fact we were really weak on defense most of the time.

Just get the damn glitter off the helmets!!! White with numbers on them would be preferable.

Yeah, not a fan of the glitter, AT ALL.

Just get the damn glitter off the helmets!!! White with numbers on them would be preferable.

I actually think it looks awesome in the sun....especially on tv

I think it's called a metallic flake :)

Top Bottom