All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

I'm looking forward to the uniforms. Based on all the buzz surrounding them, I'm guessing I am in the majority. Just look at the activity on this thread, which is based on not being excited about it. It is so exciting, even threads mentioning it isn't exciting, are exciting.

A lot of research has been done on new uniforms. The Oregon uniforms are a good starting place. I believe USC might be another school to check out.

Do you feel better about yourself and have more confidence when you dress nice? Most of us do when you have a new haircut, brand new suit, nice tie you feel confident and ready to take on the world or to get that pretty girl. In the business or dating world your non-verbal image is everything (people really do judge you on appearance.

Example: If I wore jeans and a t-shirt to a meeting with a potential client they are going to think that I am lazy and disorganized. However, if I wear a nice suit and I am all cleaned up I come off as being responsible and hardworking or at least that I care.

The same concept applies to college athletes and their uniforms. They want to look their best for their games (meetings), they are more confident because they look the part and the opposition will take them more seriously.

I don't want to overreact, but if we get black jerseys I will kill myself.

Do you feel better about yourself and have more confidence when you dress nice? Most of us do when you have a new haircut, brand new suit, nice tie you feel confident and ready to take on the world or to get that pretty girl. In the business or dating world your non-verbal image is everything (people really do judge you on appearance.

Example: If I wore jeans and a t-shirt to a meeting with a potential client they are going to think that I am lazy and disorganized. However, if I wear a nice suit and I am all cleaned up I come off as being responsible and hardworking or at least that I care.

The same concept applies to college athletes and their uniforms. They want to look their best for their games (meetings), they are more confident because they look the part and the opposition will take them more seriously.

By that measure, Nebraska and Penn State players must not feel very good about themselves given their classic, nondescript uniforms.

I get where people are going. It's about creating an identity and I hope that the new uniforms look sharp and don't change every year.

I would prefer numbers on the side of the helmet, but I think that picture is showing the back. The "grain" of the helmet looks to be about as tight a shot as the previous one, which would make it a pretty close-up pic.

Not to buzzkill, but it might be your age. Young fans/recruits/players care IMMENSELY about this sort of thing.

Think they don't? Watch this Ohio University video (which has a 1/4 million views):

what was the outcome of the first (and subsequent) game that wore the coveted jerseys?

if they haven't lost wearing them....go for it!

but I really don't understand all the excitement about the supposed look of new uniforms for the Gophers. To be sure, I wouldn't want to see anything like Maryland's or the creations at Oregon. However, because of my bent toward a long term perspective, I can't get excited about what the uniforms are going to look like. For some, the new uniforms will be similar to a new car, once it's driven off the dealership lot it's dated . . . and then, the question to be asked, what's the next new toy to arouse one's interest.

I've enjoyed some great days during my many years of following the Gophers (championship seasons), and, of course, some long standing disappointments (44 years since the last conference championship). During the fifty-six years of following Minnesota football, I've seen uniforms come and go and some were a joke . . . sadly, however, the biggest joke has been the long drought of non-championship seasons. (The apathetic fan base and the willingness to accept mediocrity for so many years.)

The long and short of it, I want to see more wins and another championship before my final adios!

If Minnesota continues to go without championships or being a contender for one and the uniforms look real sharp, will that be another level of looking good in defeat? Equivalant to a moral victory?

Just one man's opinion, FWIW, and rant.

Go Gophers!!

DL - definitely an age thing ;-) I'm in the same boat as you (boy, do I hate getting up in the middle of the night to take a piss). I don't care for radical uniform changes. When I see it happen, the first thing that comes to mind is that we're once again rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. I hate multi-color options and dread the trendy black is bad look. My preference is for a "traditional" maroon and gold look which I realize is a subjective thing but I do know this, it doesn't include yellow pants. But hey, they can wear pink and violet if you can assure me that it will result in a National Championship.
Go Gophers!

what was the outcome of the first (and subsequent) game that wore the coveted jerseys?

if they haven't lost wearing them....go for it!

They beat Temple 35-31 on ESPN...believe that's the only game they wore them. They did win ther next three to get to the MAC title game.

My only guess on this picture is that the letters are right on the front of the helmet, usually where they would put the brand of the helmet. (kind of where they put the "Riddell" on NFL helmets.

EDIT: looking at it again, it looks more like it's on the very back of the helmet

Looks like another back of helmet picture, kinda wish it was U-MN.

And it's a black background. I feel like a tool discussing all of this stuff piece-meal. It's like getting mad at how an architect is designing your house by looking at a picture of one window. This whole reveal is childish.

The font has a very old school feel

P.S. appears some have forgotten that we are the real u of m.

And it's a black background. I feel like a tool discussing all of this stuff piece-meal. It's like getting mad at how an architect is designing your house by looking at a picture of one window. This whole reveal is childish.

NO IT'S NOT! YOU'RE CHILDISH!

The U-M could be part of a SKI-U-MAH which would be cool.

I hope it's Ski-U-Mah.. Love the old font (which is significant to our history, BTW). I'm not quite sold that it's the nose bumper though. I'm thinking the rear/bottom bumper.

Going off yesterday's reveal, thoughts on numbers on side of helmet and using the block M as helmet stickers? I remember last year somewhere Kill saying he wanted helmet stickers

Or the Block M over the numbers (why top was cut off) kinda like Michigan but centered

Going off yesterday's reveal, thoughts on numbers on side of helmet and using the block M as helmet stickers? I remember last year somewhere Kill saying he wanted helmet stickers
I hate, hate, hate helmet stickers. This isn't a fourth-grade spelling test. It's college football and it's a team game.

thoughts on numbers on side of helmet and using the block M as helmet stickers?

Since you asked for opinions, I'm going to give mine. I absolutely hate, hate, hate the idea of using numbers on the side of the helmet. Hate it. You can get away with that if you're Alabama, because it's synonymous with your school. Did anyone know So. Miss. had numbers on the side of their helmets before the pic was posted in this thread? I sure didn't, and I follow college football more closely than most. In a variety of ways, the University of Minnesota is suffering from an identity crisis, and we need to be more consistent in our branding principles, not less. We need our uniforms to be in a position where people can turn on the TV and instantly recognize it as Minnesota. The block M does that; numbers on the side do not.

And as for helmet stickers, I think it is high-schoolish and has no place in college football, but I don't hate it as much as the idea of numbers on the side of the helmet. If they insist on doing it, use Goldy heads as helmet stickers and stick with the block M on both sides of the helmet, where it belongs.

I'm not a big fan of helmet stickers either. I hope they don't do that. I also think this new clue is a shot of the back or front of the helmet to say "Ski-U-Mah" and I like that idea. Should be fun.

Top Bottom