All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!

Crazy Joe Davola was right. He came on here and said a month ago that there would be numbers on one side and a block M on the other.

Makes you wonder if he actually was right about the coaching stuff back when, but that Maturi was just stumbling all over himself, LOL.

No...they are posting 40 times on the helmet.

http://instantbazinga.com

Crazy Joe Davola was right. He came on here and said a month ago that there would be numbers on one side and a block M on the other.

Makes you wonder if he actually was right about the coaching stuff back when, but that Maturi was just stumbling all over himself, LOL.

I can almost guarantee those are the numbers at the base of the helmet on the back. They are the kind of numbers typically used for that purpose (i.e., cut into rectangles and not to the form of the numbers themselves).

I will admit I was wrong if these turn out to be numbers on the side of the helmet, but I hope they're not - that would look really ugly.

Not to buzzkill, but it might be your age. Young fans/recruits/players care IMMENSELY about this sort of thing.

Think they don't? Watch this Ohio University video (which has a 1/4 million views):

Wow. Crazy Joe isn't as crazy as we once thought he was.

I can almost guarantee those are the numbers at the base of the helmet on the back. They are the kind of numbers typically used for that purpose (i.e., cut into rectangles and not to the form of the numbers themselves).

I will admit I was wrong if these turn out to be numbers on the side of the helmet, but I hope they're not - that would look really ugly.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I figured they were too. I couldn't envision them putting cut outs on the side of a helmet.

I know I am probably in the major minority. I think black uniforms would be awesome under the lights in a night game at TCF Bank Stadium. I am a lifelong Gopher fan, I consider myself a diehard fan, and I know our school colors are Maroon and Gold.

Who did Crazy Joe say the coach was gonna be? Calhoun?

I agree, I think there on the back

Don't think I would like them if they were on the sides with the rectangle cut out. Has that font been used before, is that our current one? I'm not one to notice those things but these look different from what I've noticed before.

but I really don't understand all the excitement about the supposed look of new uniforms for the Gophers. To be sure, I wouldn't want to see anything like Maryland's or the creations at Oregon. However, because of my bent toward a long term perspective, I can't get excited about what the uniforms are going to look like. For some, the new uniforms will be similar to a new car, once it's driven off the dealership lot it's dated . . . and then, the question to be asked, what's the next new toy to arouse one's interest.

I've enjoyed some great days during my many years of following the Gophers (championship seasons), and, of course, some long standing disappointments (44 years since the last conference chamionship). During the fifty-six years of following Minnesota football, I've seen uniforms come and go and some were a joke . . . sadly, however, the biggest joke has been the long drought of non-championship seasons. (The apathetic fan base and the willingness to accept mediocrity for so many years.)

The long and short of it, I want to see more wins and another championship before my final adios!

If Minnesota continues to go without championships or being a contender for one and the uniforms look real sharp, will that be another level of looking good in defeat? Equivalant to a moral victory?

Just one man's opinion, FWIW, and rant.

Go Gophers!!
i agree

If the numbers are for the side of the helmet (though, as mentioned, I doubt it since they're cut outs), it would look similar to the design Nike created for Southern Miss this year:

whaleymosomiss_1225117c.jpg

Not to buzzkill, but it might be your age. Young fans/recruits/players care IMMENSELY about this sort of thing.

Think they don't? Watch this Ohio University video (which has a 1/4 million views):

Good post, good video - pretty much sums up any argument I would have made.

But to the OP, we need something to be excited about around these parts.

DL65 are from the same aging tree.

Being old school won't carry much weight but I prefer the 61 Rose Bowl look, or throwback in todays lingo. It seems as if more and more teams are going with the new look but I respect those that have stayed with their traditional style. Why not do something different and stay with a traditional look? The one team trying to outdo the other with their look is far behind putting a good team on the field.

If the trend hits the Gophers, at least make the numbers readable.

If it helps recruiting or ticket sales great, I am okay with it. Just don't give me a blue, yellow, or orange football field, or something that looks anything like like marylands uniforms. Any team that looks like that should get 14 points deducted and three really bad calls a game.

I don’t have a problem with the discussion, or if it excites some of our fan base since we are all Gophers, but I am with you, DL.

I’m guessing I am only a few years younger than you and I don’t know, maybe it is our age. I can’t remember ever getting excited about my uniform whether I was playing with a round ball or a foot ball. For that matter, I wasn’t concerned about my opponent’s uniform either. For all I care, as long as our Gophers win, they can show up in leather helmets and wear long johns.

DL, I here what you're saying; I've gone full circle on new uniforms and I'm a strong supporter for the following reasons:

1) It preserves a snap-shot in time. Seeing pictures of uniforms of various decades shows football, but also fashion.
2) Women are watching football more and more. It's bound to affect styles - keep the women interested and guys will find it way easier to watch a game and converse with the opposite sex.
3) It's big business. Like it or not, money plays into a lot of decision. Without it, less media coverage and fewer games.
4) College kids think it's cool. Attracting students and promoting a college atmosphere is what it's all about.
5) Recruiting - Recruits really like the fact that colleges care enough to appeal to a fashion sense.
6) My wife - She likes talking about the uniforms good/bad. It can drive one crazy, but she is talking football.

That's a short list.

If we were getting ready for a bowl game in a few weeks, it wouldn't be as big of deal. But since there isn't a whole lot going on now, it's kinda exciting.

So, will the Military Acadamy teams be sporting "new look" spandex, body suit "nike-specials?" Or, will they continue to rely on "tradition?"

Let the "butt-kissing" punk-head-coaches try to let the "recruits" dictate what kind of uniforms are worn...but...at some point in time, the institution HAS to have the common sense and the institutional control to tell the punk-head-coaches who want to "please" the "hipster-fashion-oriented" recruiting coordinators to just go ahead and recruit players who LOVE to play football and WANT to be student athletes more than they want to make personal statements by wearing some wild, wacky, Lady GaGa-inspired oragonian/lord-baltimore-u of maryland inspired pieces of trash, hideous game-day-uniforms. In the Big Ten that crap might fly with a team that wins enough Big Ten Games...BUT...if the team's not winning not many paying customers in their right minds will warm up to some butt-kissing wacked out footall coaches who dress their players in pop-culture costumes just because it's the only way they can recruit players. Let'em wear clown costumes IF they want to play like clowns and not win enough Big Ten Football Games. Make 'em wear dresses or body suits or animal costumes if they want to look like high-fashion...or low-fashion...or NO class punks and jokers while they are getting their butts handed to them in Big Ten Football Games.

BUT, it would be a LOT better to hang on to some common sense and some tradition within the football program. People who want to see wacked out costumes can buy pop-culture concert tickets.

Worry about playing some damn decent football for a change!

At some point in time, good old fashioned common sense HAS to prevail. IF you are offering scholarships, at some point in time the chance to get paid in college scholarships HAS to over-ride the need for all the recruits to go play for program with the wildest, ugliest, hippest, baddest, most personal fashion statement oriented uniforms. Stand your ground University of Minnesota Football Program. Don't go getting all "strange and wacky..." with fashion statements. Recruit some good students who want to go out on the football field and CRUSH Big Ten opponents on Saturday Afternoons and evenings in the autumn of the year.

Make the damn coaches wear the same kind of uniform that the coaches put their players in...THAT would be an interesting acid-test for these "new-age-wacked-out uniforms.

It's time for the people in charge to be the people in charge...

; 0 )

The Gophers keep the block M for branding purposes.

Jeez, Did they just get black jersey's or make the NCAA tournament?

I agree with both DL65 in his initial post and twinsfan21 in his response. I don't care if they wear gold uniforms, maroon uniforms, white uniforms, or change the school colors. At the same time, merchandising is big money and if uniform changes generate interest and revenue, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

DL, I here what you're saying; I've gone full circle on new uniforms and I'm a strong supporter for the following reasons:

1) It preserves a snap-shot in time. Seeing pictures of uniforms of various decades shows football, but also fashion.
2) Women are watching football more and more. It's bound to affect styles - keep the women interested and guys will find it way easier to watch a game and converse with the opposite sex.
3) It's big business. Like it or not, money plays into a lot of decision. Without it, less media coverage and fewer games.
4) College kids think it's cool. Attracting students and promoting a college atmosphere is what it's all about.
5) Recruiting - Recruits really like the fact that colleges care enough to appeal to a fashion sense.
6) My wife - She likes talking about the uniforms good/bad. It can drive one crazy, but she is talking football.

That's a short list.
True. This was the first result when I googled "oregon duck jersey" lol
jerseys10.jpg

True. This was the first result when I googled "oregon duck jersey" lol
jerseys10.jpg

We probably wouldn't win many games if the players looked like that, but my guess is attendance would soar.

Butt-kissing wacked out footall coaches who dress their players in wild, wacky, Lady GaGa-inspired oragonian/lord-baltimore, maryland pop-culture costumes?

Butt-kissing wacked out footall coaches who dress their players in the wildest, ugliest, hippest, baddest, most personal hipster-fashion-oriented new-age-wacked-out uniforms?

Really?
We'll soon find out...

I bet they will still cut the numbers out, leaving just gold. That look they show in the pic looks unpolished.

Those unis look like sht. Too bad players don't get that excited about class.

So, will the Military Acadamy teams be sporting "new look" spandex, body suit "nike-specials?" Or, will they continue to rely on "tradition?"

I take it you didn't watch Army/Navy this year.

No, being a Navy vet, I had no interest in seeing Navy ditch their traditional uniform. Screw the nike "marketing" machine. Without the tradition: the Army/Navy game doesn't warrant a watch for me. That' s my take. Help yourself to your own.

Give me tradition any and EVERY time! But...that's just me...

; 0 )

Top Bottom