All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I also find it a little funny that Hurt was brought up, considering the Hurt brother we did get, who is from Minnesota and committed to the Gophers quite early on, gets crapped on all the time. Definitely did not get the hometown hero treatment.
Because he wasn't very good. How are we going to give a kid hometown hero treatment when he played 5 minutes a game? Stop reaching.

And no one on this board has questioned his work ethic or character. Just his value on the court for our program.

Exactly. By staying here he's an instant fan favorite. If he goes anywhere else, he's just another recruit trying to get some game time. Hurt is a classic example, he he'd stayed he would have had a big fan base and following, in Duke's game he just blends in with the scenery on the bench.
Is Gabe a hometown hero ? What former players are local hero's here that got significant benefits from it ? By simply playing at Duke Hurt will have a much larger national following than the locals on our team. The best case for Walton to play here is family and immediate playing time.

Is Gabe a hometown hero ? What former players are local hero's here that got significant benefits from it ? By simply playing at Duke Hurt will have a much larger national following than the locals on our team. The best case for Walton to play here is family and immediate playing time.
Oturu

Exactly. By staying here he's an instant fan favorite. If he goes anywhere else, he's just another recruit trying to get some game time. Hurt is a classic example, he he'd stayed he would have had a big fan base and following, in Duke's game he just blends in with the scenery on the bench.
what if being a fan favorite is about #87 on the list of priorities of choosing a school?

I could care less that he’s from MN. Kerwin is a stud that shoots the 3 at a high level and defends well. He would be a huge addition and better than any transfer we’d get at this time as a freshman imo.
Would he actually make that much more of a difference than, say Kier, for the 2020-21 season?

Walton will announce UNC or Arizona or Creighton tomorrow. You know, one of the actual final five, as his dad accidentally spilled the beans.

Kier signs the day after.

Just get on with it.

Walton will announce UNC or Arizona or Creighton tomorrow. You know, one of the actual final five, as his dad accidentally spilled the beans.

Kier signs the day after.

Just get on with it.

When did you get an insider status card? I thought those were only doled out to those willing to pony up to get behind the paywall.

When did you get an insider status card? I thought those were only doled out to those willing to pony up to get behind the paywall.
It's a wild guess. Like everything I post in this thread. That goes without saying.

Quincy Lewis is adored around here. So is John Thomas. So is Trevor. Is anybody giving love to Jordan Taylor or like, Jon Leuer if they see them around town? I doubt it. There's value to that.

Quincy Lewis is adored around here. So is John Thomas. So is Trevor. Is anybody giving love to Jordan Taylor or like, Jon Leuer if they see them around town? I doubt it. There's value to that.
Leuer did pretty well on value. Do you think there are people that do not even want the attention. Quincy is not even from here. There are a ton of other schools that afford a great deal more on the attention scale.

I also find it a little funny that Hurt was brought up, considering the Hurt brother we did get, who is from Minnesota and committed to the Gophers quite early on, gets crapped on all the time. Definitely did not get the hometown hero treatment.
Originally he was heaped with praise. Then people saw him play...

Gabe is a home town hero when his shot is falling!

The Hoff was a home town hero.

The list goes on.

So is Willie Burton. So is Bobby Jackson. So is Jordan Murphy. Among Golden Gopher basketball fans.

The hometown hero angle is so overplayed. It depends on what they do on the court.

Blake Hoffarber, too. He is doing very well for himself. I think he leveraged his connections at the U of M extremely well.

Because he wasn't very good. How are we going to give a kid hometown hero treatment when he played 5 minutes a game? Stop reaching.

And no one on this board has questioned his work ethic or character. Just his value on the court for our program.

Exactly. Fans will like him if he’s good. If he’s not, no one will care or think it’s super cool that he’s from Minnesota. Matthew Hurt would probably be a fan favorite at Utah or Boston College or Washington State too because he’s a talented player. People act like in-state recruits should come to Minnesota because they will be universally adored and appreciated on a level that no other program’s fan base could offer them.

Minnesota fans will like Walton if he’s good, and they won’t like him if he’s bad, just like any other school.

Exactly. Fans will like him if he’s good. If he’s not, no one will care or think it’s super cool that he’s from Minnesota. Matthew Hurt would probably be a fan favorite at Utah or Boston College or Washington State too because he’s a talented player. People act like in-state recruits should come to Minnesota because they will be universally adored and appreciated on a level that no other program’s fan base could offer them.

Minnesota fans will like Walton if he’s good, and they won’t like him if he’s bad, just like any other school.
This take is way too rational cut it out lol

Shama chimes in:

Kerwin Walton, the four-star wing from Hopkins, is expected to announce his college choice Saturday. It’s believed his finalists are Arizona, Creighton, Minnesota and North Carolina. After following Walton’s recruiting, the guess here is Arizona will be the choice because of the Wildcats profile as a college heavyweight and the positive experience Zeke Nnjai, a former Hopkins teammate, had this season with the Pac-12 program.

Go Gophers!!

Shama chimes in:

Kerwin Walton, the four-star wing from Hopkins, is expected to announce his college choice Saturday. It’s believed his finalists are Arizona, Creighton, Minnesota and North Carolina. After following Walton’s recruiting, the guess here is Arizona will be the choice because of the Wildcats profile as a college heavyweight and the positive experience Zeke Nnjai, a former Hopkins teammate, had this season with the Pac-12 program.

Go Gophers!!

I guess we can eliminate Arizona now.

Any idea on the time of the announcement tomorrow?
He hasn’t decided on a time yet. He is still holding Zoom meetings with the various involved parties to determine what time would be the best fit for him to announce his decision. He will announce the time that he will be announcing his decision via Instagram live sometime in the morning. Doogie tweeted something about his dad saying they are still considering 5 different possible times and all are equally in the running

He hasn’t decided on a time yet. He is still holding Zoom meetings with the various involved parties to determine what time would be the best fit for him to announce his decision. He will announce the time that he will be announcing his decision via Instagram live sometime in the morning. Doogie tweeted something about his dad saying they are still considering 5 different possible times and all are equally in the running
Goodness gracious! I was 95% sure this was sarcasm. I felt like an idiot going to Doogie's twitter to confirm it. And lo and behold there is more truth to this post than fiction.
Can't make it up....just absolutely sad...this kid can't make a decision on anything.

Goodness gracious! I was 95% sure this was sarcasm. I felt like an idiot going to Doogie's twitter to confirm it. And lo and behold there is more truth to this post than fiction.
Can't make it up....just absolutely sad...this kid can't make a decision on anything.

Bizarre. Is it the kid or his family? Who will come to the press conference in light of lockdown and short notice? They need a new PR rep.

Has anything been wrecked so far by waiting to choose? It's a big decision and a lot of kids struggle. I wish I'd taken more time and I probably would've made a better and educated decision. Still plenty of kids choosing and if the covid 19 actually does matter to him, then waiting was lucky but also smart

Won’t like him if he is bad? Define bad.
I don’t think any gopher fan doesn’t like Mike hurt.

Has anything been wrecked so far by waiting to choose? It's a big decision and a lot of kids struggle. I wish I'd taken more time and I probably would've made a better and educated decision. Still plenty of kids choosing and if the covid 19 actually does matter to him, then waiting was lucky but also smart
5 different possible times? You don’t think that is lunacy??

5 different possible times? You don’t think that is lunacy??
I'd think he meant 5 possible teams, but no I don't find it crazy. I think it's a little overdone for my taste, but it's not my commitment. He just seems overly thorough

hahaha it was 100% satire, never would've imagined it would be true to any degree. but honestly with his indecision so far, why would anybody be surprised that he can't even decide when he will announce where he will go to college

Top Bottom