All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

RJ said this afternoon over on 247 he checked with multiple sources and not only has Kerwin not committed to UNC, he hasn't contacted any schools to tell them he's not coming there. Not to anyone's surprise, it's unofficially down to UNC, Arizona and the Gophers.

He's rarely wrong, so I'm going to trust that info for the time being.

RJ said this afternoon over on 247 he checked with multiple sources and not only has Kerwin not committed to UNC, he hasn't contacted any schools to tell them he's not coming there. Not to anyone's surprise, it's unofficially down to UNC, Arizona and the Gophers.

Only one of those program are not cheating! I hope his Mom has a word in the decision and helps him chose character over perceived glam.

Well....what happens, happens. The timing of his decision has come pretty well for us though considering that we are now a much better team for him to join on paper than we were just a few weeks ago. Then with the departure of Willis- that is more playing time and a real chance of him to be a difference maker on a potentially good squad..right here at home. It's a good fit.

Only one of those program are not cheating! I hope his Mom has a word in the decision and helps him chose character over perceived glam.
How is UNC cheating right now ? Is he also talking to new schools ? Heard Stackhouse was calling.

Did they remove the fake classes? They should at least be serving a penalty (loss scholarships, etc..) now.
Yes, they stopped doing what they were doing. Agreed they should be serving severe penalties but that is not the responsibility of a new recruit. I will tell you that if i had a kid looking there i would tell them that the coach there cheated. Fyi, i always tell parents that i do not look at the number of kids doing well i look at what kind of classes they are taking and where they are going to school. A couple years ago the UL team had 9 kids on ACC academic team but a closer look revealed the absolute joke of classes they were taking. What UNC did was offer classes to the entire student body that were not only sham but that players never went too. They fought it by saying the classes were not a extra benefit since they were available to anyone.

COVID-19 has to be having an impact, I know I have no plans to travel for the next four months, at least through the end of the summer, at 18 moving away for the first time is not something I would relish in this environment.

Well....what happens, happens. The timing of his decision has come pretty well for us though considering that we are now a much better team for him to join on paper than we were just a few weeks ago. Then with the departure of Willis- that is more playing time and a real chance of him to be a difference maker on a potentially good squad..right here at home. It's a good fit.
Good points

Yes, they stopped doing what they were doing. Agreed they should be serving severe penalties but that is not the responsibility of a new recruit. I will tell you that if i had a kid looking there i would tell them that the coach there cheated. Fyi, i always tell parents that i do not look at the number of kids doing well i look at what kind of classes they are taking and where they are going to school. A couple years ago the UL team had 9 kids on ACC academic team but a closer look revealed the absolute joke of classes they were taking. What UNC did was offer classes to the entire student body that were not only sham but that players never went too. They fought it by saying the classes were not a extra benefit since they were available to anyone.
That's a total conspiracy by the whole school. Thats seems similar to a RICO type of case.

I'm assuming as a public university they get some type of fed money?
If yes, surprised that some enterprising lawyer didn't go after them on a federal charge?
Seems like a good way to make a splash, not sure if something like that would stick or if UNC has enough cover for that never to come to fruition, but a charge like that would garner media attention and have traction, it seems to me.

That level playing field rearing its ugly head, once again.

That's a total conspiracy by the whole school. Thats seems similar to a RICO type of case.

I'm assuming as a public university they get some type of fed money?
If yes, surprised that some enterprising lawyer didn't go after them on a federal charge?
Seems like a good way to make a splash, not sure if something like that would stick or if UNC has enough cover for that never to come to fruition, but a charge like that would garner media attention and have traction, it seems to me.
They fired people, they had smart lawyers. The whole thing stinks. They cheated for decades.

Was trying to think of the last time we beat out two schools the likes of north carolina and arizona for a recruit. I know we beat out kansas for Oturu, I believe Rodney Williams had an offer from North Carolina if memory serves.
Dont think Mason was highly offered.
Has not happened often and probably have to go back quite a few years to find us winning this kind of recruiting battle. Not encouraging.

Reactions: sal

Was trying to think of the last time we beat out two schools the likes of north carolina and arizona for a recruit. I know we beat out kansas for Oturu, I believe Rodney Williams had an offer from North Carolina if memory serves.
Dont think Mason was highly offered.
Has not happened often and probably have to go back quite a few years to find us winning this kind of recruiting battle. Not encouraging.
looking at things
Oturu had the Kansas offer
looks like Amir had offers from Mich St, Indiana, and AZ as what I would rank his "top" offers
The others don't really have much on their 247 profiles (I don't think 247 was in existence).

But to answer your question, doesn't really look like we have

Reactions: ltf

looking at things
looks like Amir had offers from Mich St, Indiana, and AZ as what I would rank his "top" offers
The others don't really have much on their 247 profiles (I don't think 247 was in existence).

Jarvis Johnson had Michigan State and others. Amirs list would've been higher, but he missed a bunch of his 11th grade year with a torn ACL.

Reactions: ltf

Jarvis Johnson had Michigan State and others. Amirs list would've been higher, but he missed a bunch of his 11th grade year with a torn ACL.
I looked at Jarvis' earlier. Mich St and really no one else I'd call a blue blood. Baylor, Cal, Clemson, MD, Marquette, PSU, UCLA, Wisc. And great that Amir would've and I do agree, but I'm just looking to ask the OPs question. Same as if some of these guys waited and lingered until the end, they may have had a different set of offers

looking at things

amir had a Kansas offer, at one point, not sure if that was on the table after his injury. Jarvis had some nice offers as well - mentioned in the other posts

1. Continuity is so important for a program like Minnesota that is trying to get some traction and put together a string of good years for the first time in a good long while.

2. I have no facts to back this up, but my suspicion is that someone who takes this long to make a decision, and appears so conflicted, is more likely to have buyer's remorse.

3. Someone with buyer's remorse is more likely to transfer out, thus contributing to non-continuity.

4. There's an argument to be made, then, that the Gophers would be better off taking a talented transfer like Peterson instead of Walton.

Am I off my rocker? Perhaps. Willis double transferred, after all, so there's no guarantee Peterson would stay. I just have a sinking feeling that Walton or his family will be unhappy with something - immediate playing time, usage, coaching, something.

1. Continuity is so important for a program like Minnesota that is trying to get some traction and put together a string of good years for the first time in a good long while.

2. I have no facts to back this up, but my suspicion is that someone who takes this long to make a decision, and appears so conflicted, is more likely to have buyer's remorse.

3. Someone with buyer's remorse is more likely to transfer out, thus contributing to non-continuity.

4. There's an argument to be made, then, that the Gophers would be better off taking a talented transfer like Peterson instead of Walton.

Am I off my rocker? Perhaps. Willis double transferred, after all, so there's no guarantee Peterson would stay. I just have a sinking feeling that Walton or his family will be unhappy with something - immediate playing time, usage, coaching, something.
I like Peterson too but he's more of a project. Kerwin Walton is a better shooter and likely ready to contribute right now.

I'm fine with either though as long as we get one. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Walton couldn't transfer out without sitting a year. The NCAA Committee one-time transfer waiver is just for this upcoming season right?

I like Peterson too but he's more of a project. Kerwin Walton is a better shooter and likely ready to contribute right now.

I'm fine with either though as long as we get one. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Walton couldn't transfer out without sitting a year. The NCAA Committee one-time transfer waiver is just for this upcoming season right?
I think the idea, when it passes, is that all players will have one free transfer they can use during their college careers.

"A ton". Again, do you work with every single student in your school?

I'm done with anecdotes. Stats, please. If the stats say I'm wrong, then I'll admit I was wrong and eat crow.

do you have stats to prove you’re right?

do you have stats to prove you’re right?
I don't have to prove jack squat. I'm only challenging your claim. You made the claim. Back it up.

guy: "your house is going to burn down tomorrow night"
me: "whoa, what?! prove that claim, sir!"
guy: "I'm certain that it will. I know another guy, his house burned down two weeks ago."
me: "how does that prove that my house will burn down??"
guy: "you're so certain it won't, where is your proof??"

I think the idea, when it passes, is that all players will have one free transfer they can use during their college careers.
The question is that, even if the rules immediately apply to the 2020-21 school year .... what about transfers that happen in spring 2020? Are they grandfathered in? If so, when is the cut-off line?

I don't have to prove jack squat. I'm only challenging your claim. You made the claim. Back it up.

I made a claim? I was just asking if you have stats showing when college decisions are made. I was curious. Sorry for bothering you.

The question is that, even if the rules immediately apply to the 2020-21 school year .... what about transfers that happen in spring 2020? Are they grandfathered in? If so, when is the cut-off line?

Im not sure anyone has that info yet since the rule doesn’t exist. I’m sure they’ll make it well known as soon as they decide.

Top Bottom