All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

Yes, they stopped doing what they were doing. Agreed they should be serving severe penalties but that is not the responsibility of a new recruit. I will tell you that if i had a kid looking there i would tell them that the coach there cheated. Fyi, i always tell parents that i do not look at the number of kids doing well i look at what kind of classes they are taking and where they are going to school. A couple years ago the UL team had 9 kids on ACC academic team but a closer look revealed the absolute joke of classes they were taking. What UNC did was offer classes to the entire student body that were not only sham but that players never went too. They fought it by saying the classes were not a extra benefit since they were available to anyone.

Built...I feel like remember reading that a disproportionate number of the students were athletes being funneled to the classes by "academic" advisors. The university weaseled their way out of punishment because the courses were technically open to all students (though athletes were the ones being pushed into the classes). Is that how you remember it?

Im not sure anyone has that info yet since the rule doesn’t exist. I’m sure they’ll make it well known as soon as they decide.
Will they though??

That's not really been the NCAA's MO. They like to take the least amount of decision making they can, and then throw the resulting problems at the schools. See for example, how they handled the spring sports cancelled season eligibility rules.

Others made the claim. The burden is on them to back it up.

I agree. I was just asking cause I’d be curious. I know people who made college decisions as juniors and some June of their senior year. Was curious to when most of that happened. Id assume fall senior year or early winter (like January) but would be interesting to see a chart.

I agree. I was just asking cause I’d be curious. I know people who made college decisions as juniors and some June of their senior year. Was curious to when most of that happened. Id assume fall senior year or early winter (like January) but would be interesting to see a chart.
As would I. Not sure if such stats exist for the nation.

As would I. Not sure if such stats exist for the nation.

I think in Minnesota MEA is used as a time for college to get a lot of prospective students on campus. That likely leads to decisions being made. If you have 4 schools you’re deciding between, and you visit them all, you likely are going to have a clearer idea of your plans. That is like October? So you’d assume most kids decide by January. Athletes maybe are waiting for offers, and some kids are wait listed at their preferred school. Doesn’t mean that’s the norm.

I think in Minnesota MEA is used as a time for college to get a lot of prospective students on campus. That likely leads to decisions being made. If you have 4 schools you’re deciding between, and you visit them all, you likely are going to have a clearer idea of your plans. That is like October? So you’d assume most kids decide by January. Athletes maybe are waiting for offers, and some kids are wait listed at their preferred school. Doesn’t mean that’s the norm.
What you say is completely reasonable.

It was trying to be argued that Walton is just having a difficult time deciding which college he wants to go to, and that's why his decision is so late, and that such difficulty/lateness is the norm among all high school seniors. I challenged that, and still assume it is a preposterous claim.

Of course, the true motivation for that argument was simply to provide some way that Walton hasn't actually ruled out the Gophers yet. Baring a Tweet from Walton himself or someone like Burns saying he's going elsewhere, people on GH will always be able to conjure up some way that we're still in it.

It was trying to be argued that Walton is just having a difficult time deciding which college he wants to go to, and that's why his decision is so late, and that such difficulty/lateness is the norm among all high school seniors. I challenged that, and still assume it is a preposterous claim.

Of course, the true motivation for that argument was simply to provide some way that Walton hasn't actually ruled out the Gophers yet. Baring a Tweet from Walton himself or someone like Burns saying he's going elsewhere, people on GH will always be able to conjure up some way that we're still in it.

I feel like Walton is waiting because he wanted to see what opportunities he had. Not all offers are commitable. Would be surprised if he was really struggling to make a decision on which school he’d like to go to. The #1 school probably told him he had to wait, and he did. He has other schools he could go to if they school decided they didn’t want him.
I don’t remember when I chose a school but I’d guess January? I wasn’t really motivated and as a general student it matters very little.

You see earlier commitments in football so they can be on campus in January for spring ball. Basketball Isn’t like that obviously.

Built...I feel like remember reading that a disproportionate number of the students were athletes being funneled to the classes by "academic" advisors. The university weaseled their way out of punishment because the courses were technically open to all students (though athletes were the ones being pushed into the classes). Is that how you remember it?

If bogus classes are available to everyone, there is no unfair athletic advantage. Way to go, Committee on Infractions.

Are you assuming (don't ever assume...) that it is:
a. preposterous that any student could be having trouble deciding this late.
b. preposterous that Kerwin is having trouble deciding this late.
c. unlikely that Kerwin is having trouble deciding this late and using the word "preposterous" as hyperbole.

Are you assuming (don't ever assume...) that it is:
a. preposterous that any student could be having trouble deciding this late.
b. preposterous that Kerwin is having trouble deciding this late.
c. unlikely that Kerwin is having trouble deciding this late and using the word "preposterous" as hyperbole.
b is the most likely, in my opinion.

And that word is mainly in response to the supposed justification that most high school seniors don't decide until this late.

If bogus classes are available to everyone, there is no unfair athletic advantage. Way to go, Committee on Infractions.

I agree. I just seem to remember that this was how they were able to sidestep justice.

Yes.

Would be surprised if he was really struggling to make a decision on which school he’d like to go to. The #1 school probably told him he had to wait, and he did. He has other schools he could go to if they school decided they didn’t want him.
Agreed.

Minnesota is (was) his safety school. It will be either Arizona or UNC, I think we all pretty much know in our hearts.

Yes, they stopped doing what they were doing. Agreed they should be serving severe penalties but that is not the responsibility of a new recruit. I will tell you that if i had a kid looking there i would tell them that the coach there cheated. Fyi, i always tell parents that i do not look at the number of kids doing well i look at what kind of classes they are taking and where they are going to school. A couple years ago the UL team had 9 kids on ACC academic team but a closer look revealed the absolute joke of classes they were taking. What UNC did was offer classes to the entire student body that were not only sham but that players never went too. They fought it by saying the classes were not a extra benefit since they were available to anyone.
To me it is comparable to a crooked hedge fund manager that made millions and built a huge list of clients by cheating the system. He got caught so he can’t cheat that same way, but he gets to keep all the money and the stupid clients. He keeps getting more new clients each year because he was so successful in the past when he was cheating. UNC needs to be nuked so they stop benefiting from that cheating.

To me it is comparable to a crooked hedge fund manager that made millions and built a huge list of clients by cheating the system. He got caught so he can’t cheat that same way, but he gets to keep all the money and the stupid clients. He keeps getting more new clients each year because he was so successful in the past when he was cheating. UNC needs to be nuked so they stop benefiting from that cheating.
They should have been but now they have players who were never part of it. Coaches should be fired and banned from coaching but look at Pearl, huge cheater. Then hailed at Auburn ! I want Walton to pick the best place for him as long as the program is clean but he will pick whatever is best for him after he considers all factors.

They should have been but now they have players who were never part of it. Coaches should be fired and banned from coaching but look at Pearl, huge cheater. Then hailed at Auburn ! I want Walton to pick the best place for him as long as the program is clean but he will pick whatever is best for him after he considers all factors.
Same as Monson. BUT......BUT

Have you not given Walton any advice on his recruitment? If you could call him tonight and tell him to commit here that'd be much appreciated Built.

Have you not given Walton any advice on his recruitment? If you could call him tonight and tell him to commit here that'd be much appreciated Built.
Have not been asked and i would never initiate any contact what so ever. The Walton's clearly know how they want to go about their own journey.

Have not been asked and i would never initiate any contact what so ever. The Walton's clearly know how they want to go about their own journey.
I spoke with the parents at a tourney but mostly they asked me about my kid choice and how it was decided.

I like watching UNC. They win a lot and (most years, not this year) play a fun-to-watch brand of basketball. I just wish I could enjoy it more, but every time they play, I'm consumed with the thought that players, over a decade ago, took fake classes - which is something I believe only occurred at UNC.

I'm also going back and forth on deciding if this pissing contest watering down the board is epic or pathetic on a biblical level. The resolve and steadfast belief in the cause on both sides is certainly noble.

I'm also going back and forth on deciding if this pissing contest watering down the board is epic or pathetic on a biblical level. The resolve and steadfast belief in the cause on both sides is certainly noble.
Haha you should enjoy every nc victory. I can care less if minnesota got reprimanded because I enjoyed every minute that season of them getting to final 4.

The more this drags out the more I could see him totally surprise us and pick a Vandy or Georgetown..

Top Bottom