All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

Its discerning to read about volleyball signing national recruits, Fleck signing highly rated recruits and we (Pitino) can't even get local stars to stay here.
Fleck isn't getting the highly ranked recruits yet. 9th in the B10 for 2020, 10th in 2019. Pitino was 4th in 2019, 8th in 2020.

Well, You also have to look at what may be giving those schools their "success" and if that is the values that you want a kid to learn. It is akin to hanging out with the cool kid because he has all the friends and a fast car, so what if he sells drugs to get it.

Sean Miller has payed kids to play for Arizona (https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-s...asketball-corruption-case-20190501-story.html).

UNC has fake classes for players to remain eligible and cheat the student out of an education and is under investigation for paying players in the shoe scandal.

And Creighton is also implicated in paying players in the show scandal.

As a parent, I would never allow my kid to play for such schools that teach that "cheating pays". As a player, I would never want to be associated with such school, no mater how they play. The only thing you truly have is your character, and if you are willing to give that away then you have Nothing!
Great post. They do not all pick those three schools. Lots of great players out there pick clean programs that play it clean, lots of kids do not care, they just want a brand. Some players steer clear of the cheating programs. Each person has to decide how they want to conduct themselves, who they want to be.

Fleck isn't getting the highly ranked recruits yet. 9th in the B10 for 2020, 10th in 2019. Pitino was 4th in 2019, 8th in 2020.
Not to get too far off track, but football vs bball recruiting are different animals. Football has about 25 guys a class, so while we get higher profile guys like Bateman/Faalele etc, we are not likely to ever have the depth of talent that an SEC team gets. Now that said if you get 7-8 studs a class and 15-18 that arent well thats fine, you can still have a great team. In basketball you get about 3 a class, if you get 1 stud and 2 duds you still have a "highly ranked" class because 1 guy can fly you up the rankings. But fact in on the court you end up like this years team and have 2-4 guys having to do 98% of the work, with no bench that kills a team. Recruiting rankings are skewed that way just due to numbers. If we only got 1 recruit last year but it was the #1 guy in the country we might be #3 or #4 in the rankings whereas if we had 23 in football with the #1 recruit and 22 duds we might end up 11-12.

Are people 100 % sure that KW actually eliminated the Gophers ?
“The schools that stand out right now are Arizona, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Creighton, “ Kerwin Walton Sr. said.

“The schools that stand out right now are Arizona, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Creighton, “ Kerwin Walton Sr. said.
The quote is from his dad though (assuming he probably is saying what kerwin is thinking at this time) but kerwin has not released his own top 5 yet that has been reported at least

Often a relative will just mention the names that come to mind.

Are people 100 % sure that KW actually eliminated the Gophers ?
No we aren't 100% sure at all. I'm not saying his dad is wrong or lying or anything but I'm a little curious why they are doing a interview with his dad. Every other time I've seen Kerwin's recruitment talked about in the media it has been from Kerwin. Kerwin has done a couple interviews himself in the last month and Minnesota was the first school mentioned both times. Few different insiders checked with their sources and all have still said Minnesota is right in the race.

Hey Dad,

Watch your son play in front of the home crowd. Also, you can watch him in person!

There is also playing time available.

I WANT TO WATCH HIM IN PERSON!

It's so easy!

Last edited:

Well, You also have to look at what may be giving those schools their "success" and if that is the values that you want a kid to learn. It is akin to hanging out with the cool kid because he has all the friends and a fast car, so what if he sells drugs to get it.

Sean Miller has payed kids to play for Arizona (https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-s...asketball-corruption-case-20190501-story.html).

UNC has fake classes for players to remain eligible and cheat the student out of an education and is under investigation for paying players in the shoe scandal.

As a parent, I would never allow my kid to play for such schools that teach that "cheating pays". As a player, I would never want to be associated with such school, no mater how they play. The only thing you truly have is your character, and if you are willing to give that away then you have Nothing!
Winning big is what matters.

Clearly that stuff hasn't mattered a whole heck of a lot for recruits, as Arizona just had one of the best freshmen classes in the country, UNC routinely wins at an exceptional level (this season as an obvious outlier) and Creighton has been a consistent tournament team with the potential to be ranked in the top-5 in next year's preseason polls.

We can poke holes in all three programs - I'd assume every coach competing for recruits uses those arguments you laid out - but when kids pick a school for basketball purposes, all three of those programs are far superior to Minnesota when it comes to winning, style of play and coaching while all playing in very good power leagues AND likely offering significant playing time.

It's romantic to think kids and parents will take a moral stand and reject schools that aren't playing by the rules. But most schools aren't playing by 'the rules' and when it comes down to it, if they don't get caught, it's going to be a lot more beneficial to play in a program that wins 22-30 games a year no matter how they do it, than one that doesn't.

What a strange list.

UNC? Good luck.
Arizona? It would take years to wash off the stank. How does that guy still have a job?
Georgetown? Isn't the dumpster still smoldering?
Vanderbilt? I see Drew is gone, but talk about a bottom feeder.
Creighton? Sure, I guess.

What a strange list.

UNC? Good luck.
Arizona? It would take years to wash off the stank. How does that guy still have a job?
Players like Stackhouse and Vandy is a great school in a very cool setting.

Fleck has vastly improved Gopher recruiting and you could literally toss a coin between 10th and 6th in football recruiting rankings this past year (Gophers were 7th by 247's ratings) and you are dealing with similar sized classes and sample sizes of 20 plus kids. The Gophers "4th" in basketball recruiting for 2019 is an absolute joke. They brought in a large class of 4 and 3 of them might not have had another option at the high major level (depending on if Freeman could have gone to Va Tech after Buzz left or not). Ihnen was our top get and he visited the Gophers and TCU. The lack of offers was evident in the quality of play we got from that group this past season.

The biggest factor that makes this misleading is Minnesota has produced enough talent in the past few years to have a top B1G basketball class just by batting .500 on the top local kids. In football, Minnesota is producing far less highly rated kids that could have an impact on our recruiting ranking.

What a strange list.

UNC? Good luck.

I love my team, but...

Minnesota? 12th place in the Big 10 last year with a coach on the hot seat and a lot of meh talent.

I'd say three of those programs are clearly better than Minnesota. Georgetown and Vanderbilt don't make a whole lot of sense from a basketball perspective but that list seems anything but strange for a top-100 prospect.

The best coaches would win huge here, because they would win anywhere.
Boom. Bring one of those guys in here. I think Fleck and Motzko both fit that description. I say Whalen too. I get no success yet with Whalen but not close to worried.

Still cheering for Pitino and Gophs this year but all signs pointing toward this as his last year. The hard part about keeping Pitino if he has a good/great year is you continue to worry if he'll sustain it. Hard to keep a guy like that. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm excited for another Coyle hire.

The Gophers "4th" in basketball recruiting for 2019 is an absolute joke
Agreed, basketball rankings are very misleading. Can't compare it to football. 1 or 2 top recruits in basketball are hugely impactful. More individual vs. team in comparing basketball and football.

Great coaches are very rare, super hard to identify, hard to bring here. A school is fortunate to get one great coach in 50 years.

Great coaches are very rare, super hard to identify, hard to bring here. A school is fortunate to get one great coach in 50 years.
But Coyle already got one in Fleck. Even if he leaves he still got him to come here. Motzko as well. I understand we have been a hockey powerhouse in the past so it's easier to get a guy like Motzko but I'm labeling both guys great. Both hired by Coyle.

Agreed, basketball rankings are very misleading. Can't compare it to football. 1 or 2 top recruits in basketball are hugely impactful. More individual vs. team in comparing basketball and football.
Plus the rankings are changed by commit day and who they went too. When Jerome gave his verbal as a soph. he was 287, then his senior year they bumped him to 44. Big deal , he was already a done deal and with no other big time offers. They have repeated this on at least a half dozen guys there. Better scouting.get them early if your going to get them.

The Gophers "4th" in basketball recruiting for 2019 is an absolute joke.

Can't really judge that class yet, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Greenlee or Freeman ever offer much here. Williams could be solid. Ihnen, however, has a ton of potential and could end up being a really good player for us. If he reaches his potential then the #4 ranking might not look that bad. If he doesn't develop like I think he can, then it will end up being horrifically overrated.

Can't really judge that class yet, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Greenlee or Freeman ever offer much here. Williams could be solid. Ihnen, however, has a ton of potential and could end up being a really good player for us. If he reaches his potential then the #4 ranking might not look that bad. If he doesn't develop like I think he can, then it will end up being horrifically overrated.
Ihnen's gonna be an NBA player someday with the right development. So gifted.

But Coyle already got one in Fleck. Even if he leaves he still got him to come here. Motzko as well. I understand we have been a hockey powerhouse in the past so it's easier to get a guy like Motzko but I'm labeling both guys great. Both hired by Coyle.
I love the hires he has made but will wait before i go all the way to great. What i see so far is very very impressive.

Mark Few!
Burst out laughing ! He has turned down tons of great jobs because he loves Spokane and thinks he has the best job in the world. He and his family built their dream life there and are not going to be looking for another one.

Top Bottom