All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

Purely from his perspective, you can't help but think that Kerwin could be getting scared away from the program at this point. It seems like he's trying so hard to give this program a fair shot in his recruitment and maybe even looking for reasons to stay home, but the Gophers are giving him none.

Being on hand for some pretty epic collapses lately, not knowing what coach he'd be playing for, and knowing that if he were to commit he'd likely be joining a pretty bad team minus Oturu next year has gotta be on his mind.

Purely from his perspective, you can't help but think that Kerwin could be getting scared away from the program at this point. It seems like he's trying so hard to give this program a fair shot in his recruitment and maybe even looking for reasons to stay home, but the Gophers are giving him none.

Being on hand for some pretty epic collapses lately, not knowing what coach he'd be playing for, and knowing that if he were to commit he'd likely be joining a pretty bad team minus Oturu next year has gotta be on his mind.
Maybe if we get out early and hire a new coach to give the program some promise, that might be attractive to him?

He's probably aware he would most likely get minutes right off the bat. Then again he probably would at AZ too if three of their freshman enter the draft.

These recruits all talk to each other and unless they want to stay home or the Gophers are their favorite, they generally pick the coaching staff.

Let’s say it goes down like this...Oturu immediately says at season’s end he is staying a Gopher to see things through with Coach Pitino and his new best buddy newest commit Kerwin Walton.
I think Pitino is still the coach.
Could happen...what if one of the two promptly happens at season’s end?

This.

I would say only chance he comes here is if he knows Oturu is returning, and quite frankly unless they’re best buds he’d have no way of knowing that.

Pure speculation. For all we know Kerwin could be looking at our recent conference struggles as an opportunity to turn this program around as a hometown hero.

Not knowing who the coach will be next year might be more of a concern for Walton but he knows he'll get plenty of PT regardless of who is at the helm. I personally still think we're in a pretty good spot with his recruitment.

Pure speculation. For all we know Kerwin could be looking at our recent conference struggles as an opportunity to turn this program around as a hometown hero.

Not knowing who the coach will be next year might be more of a concern for Walton but he knows he'll get plenty of PT regardless of who is at the helm. I personally still think we're in a pretty good spot with his recruitment.
He could verbal right now. He will wait to see what opens and where. Bossi thinks it is Arizona or Ohio State.

AZ has not done as well this year as their recruiting rank indicated.
There is at least a 50/50 chance the NCAA drops a dime on them.

AZ has not done as well this year as their recruiting rank indicated.
There is at least a 50/50 chance the NCAA drops a dime on them.

Might be why he didn't commit to them in the fall

Uncertainty reigns for Hopkins basketball star Kerwin Walton
The unsettled state of recruiting could bode well for the Gophers.

Last November, when Hopkins basketball standout Kerwin Walton decided to delay his college decision until spring, he pictured a far different landscape.

The coronavirus pandemic has completely altered the recruiting game. Coaches can’t have face-to-face visits with recruits. Prospects can’t visit campuses. It’s making decisions for Walton and other graduating seniors even tougher.

At one point last weekend, Walton found himself staring in a daze at his cellphone, which seemed to buzz every other minute, as a long list of coaches checked in on him.

“It’s been crazy,” the four-star recruit said. “I don’t think it’s been like this ever.”

But this could bode well for the Gophers. They are among more than a handful of schools Walton is still considering with the late signing period scheduled to start April 15. The 6-5, 200-pound guard, who ranks among the nation’s top 100 seniors, also has offers from schools such as Arizona, North Carolina, Iowa State, Vanderbilt and Georgetown.

“I think Kerwin Walton is one of the best unsigned prospects in the 2020 class,” 247Sports.com recruiting director Evan Daniels said. “Walton’s shooting ability alone makes him a valuable prospect.”

Go Gophers!!

Pitino needs to get the deal signed and done. Is he a Willy Burton / Vashon Leonard comparison in his game. What's Walton's best at? How does he fit?

Walton is billed as a sniper (HS numbers are very good and blew up last summer playing with D1 Minnesota) but he's a big guard who can do a lot of things well. He been playing at Hopkins since his sophomore year I believe - impressive considering how loaded that program routinely is and he's well-schooled on the defensive end of the floor. He's not freaky explosive or twitchy, but he's got more juice than as a shot-creator than Kalscheur did (someone will compare them I'm sure).

At the beginning of the HS season, I'd heard that there's no chance he's coming here. I'd still be really surprised if he stuck around but when you get this far down the road and he's clearly been a priority and shown a willingness to consider the Gophers with all the times he's attended games, there may be some smoke to that fire.

Still hard to imagine that if someone like UNC wants him bad enough (I'm wondering if they are big-game hunting with their last scholarship) or a school like Creighton loses Ty-Shon Alexander and says you can come in and replace him, he'd pick us over those teams.

Is he going to choose a big east school? Big ten>Big east or did we screw this thing up 30 yrs running?

Walton is the single biggest need. I am confident that we will get a solid big guy to patch this year but we need Walton

Is he going to choose a big east school? Big ten>Big east or did we screw this thing up 30 yrs running?

Man alive this is like the SEC football folks who think their conference is so far superior to every other league.

The Big 10 is very good. The Big East is not some joke league where a high-major prospect would go only because he couldn't get a Big 10 offer. The Big 10 might have an edge, but that's probably close to a wash.

From Walton's perspective, why would you not want to go play at Creighton?

They've been nationally relevant for a good chunk of the last decade, routinely getting to the tournament and being represented in the rankings. They'll be ranked in the top-10 in the preseason next year (higher if their best player returns)

They've had two teams that people considered Final 4 caliber (this year, and in 2016 before their PG got hurt).

They've churned out NBA players over the last handful of years.

The coach is established and plays an open system where guards seem to excel.

They play in a terrific league and are located in a great city.

Man alive this is like the SEC football folks who think their conference is so far superior to every other league.

The Big 10 is very good. The Big East is not some joke league where a high-major prospect would go only because he couldn't get a Big 10 offer. The Big 10 might have an edge, but that's probably close to a wash.

From Walton's perspective, why would you not want to go play at Creighton?

They've been nationally relevant for a good chunk of the last decade, routinely getting to the tournament and being represented in the rankings. They'll be ranked in the top-10 in the preseason next year (higher if their best player returns)

They've had two teams that people considered Final 4 caliber (this year, and in 2016 before their PG got hurt).

They've churned out NBA players over the last handful of years.

The coach is established and plays an open system where guards seem to excel.

They play in a terrific league and are located in a great city.
How will he find playing there? Per you, he would be walking into the greatest college basketball program in country. Nothing wrong with Creighton, but WOW!

How will he find playing there? Per you, he would be walking into the greatest college basketball program in country. Nothing wrong with Creighton, but WOW!

I mean I'd rather go play for UNC if that offer is committable but that's just me - a biased UNC fan.

I don't think there's much debate that Creighton, at this point, is a far better program than Minnesota. And I don't know how anyone could come away watching both teams play thinking otherwise.

If they lose Ty-Shon Alexander, he'd have an opportunity to either start or play rotation minutes off the bench as a freshman. If Alexander returns, my guess is that they are out of the mix for Walton.

Hopefully Alexander returns. That might give the Gophers an improved chance at getting Walton.

I'm not arguing the Minnesota point. I'm a homer, but still realistic. But are his only options MN and Creighton? Ahhh, no. I don't like UNC but of course that's a better option because you can take underwater basket weaving as a class (which I've heard is a brutal class) and still be on national tv every week.

Top Bottom