All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I do not blame them for saying yes but the people in power had very little idea to figure how to hire and to what vision. Those folks were asked questions that they had no answers to and thus did not even know who to pursue and how.
What is your opinion on Coyle, with respect to this stuff?

Makes you wonder if Kerwin said to his father something like "Dad! What the hell man! You didn't include Minnesota! It's like a state law, if you're a 4/5 star, you have to include them in your final group, even though you're not going there!"
I'd be real surprised if he chooses the Gopher hat.

A plan to identify who knew what and whom they knew. The names do not win press conferences but the coaches consulted knew they would build, then win. In coaching circles their hires were already legends.
I do have to admit, but hate to, wisconsin year after year surpass my expectations. They get players that I sometimes think are just ok but fit and excel in that team. Quite frankly I am sick of it.

Not sure it's all been covered here, but Kerwin's dad has done interviews with both a UNC and an Arizona fan site (the Arizona one was the one that made waves here, but the UNC one actually came first) where he didn't mention Minnesota. Kerwin himself will mention Minnesota when asked. It doesn't seem to hard to read between the lines that dad is comfortable telling people Minnesota is not in it while Kerwin is not.

Put yourself in the position of the Waltons right now. Kerwin is not a one and done player and Pitino has little to no job security right now. Would you send your child (or go yourself) to a school where there was a good chance of a coaching change after your first year on campus?

Pitino wasn't doing a good job landing kids last Spring, or this Fall, when he was coming off his first NCAA tournament win and had a contract extension in hand, so expecting him to land kids now is just an exercise in disappointment. 60's guy had the best post about this where Pitino would be best served to find an assistant to replace Jeter that has a player (or hopefully players) attached to him that will be eligible in 2020. Hire a kids brother like Oklahoma State did recently or Danny Manning's dad at Kansas decades ago. There might not be that sort of package deal available this late in the process but it's arguably Pitino's best chance if there is.

Not sure it's all been covered here, but Kerwin's dad has done interviews with both a UNC and an Arizona fan site (the Arizona one was the one that made waves here, but the UNC one actually came first) where he didn't mention Minnesota. Kerwin himself will mention Minnesota when asked. It doesn't seem to hard to read between the lines that dad is comfortable telling people Minnesota is not in it while Kerwin is not.

Put yourself in the position of the Waltons right now. Kerwin is not a one and done player and Pitino has little to no job security right now. Would you send your child (or go yourself) to a school where there was a good chance of a coaching change after your first year on campus?

Pitino wasn't doing a good job landing kids last Spring, or this Fall, when he was coming off his first NCAA tournament win and had a contract extension in hand, so expecting him to land kids now is just an exercise in disappointment. 60's guy had the best post about this where Pitino would be best served to find an assistant to replace Jeter that has a player (or hopefully players) attached to him that will be eligible in 2020. Hire a kids brother like Oklahoma State did recently or Danny Manning's dad at Kansas decades ago. There might not be that sort of package deal available this late in the process but it's arguably Pitino's best chance if there is.
Coyle had an opportunity to make change. He didn't. Stop blaming RP.

No excuses necessary.

Walton talks recruitment
Four-star Hopkins guard Kerwin Walton, one of the top unsigned seniors in the country, narrowed his list to six schools Tuesday night, including the Gophers.

Among Walton’s six finalists are also Creighton, Arizona, Georgetown, North Carolina and Vanderbilt.

marcusfuller_1585747578_Kerwinwaltonpic.jfif

The 6-foot-5 sharpshooter doesn’t have a date for his announcement yet, but the spring signing period runs from April 15 to May 20.

Walton did a Q&A with the Star Tribune recently about a range of topics, including te advantages of waiting until the spring, how he improved his senior year, watching the Gophers play this season, how his recruitment was affected by the coronavirus pandemic and more.

Sounds like goodnight John Boy to me!

Pitino's job security will not have an impact on Walton's choice. He will choose another school because he likes the staff more than the one here. With the ability to transfer and leave and gain waivers, kids are not as locked into a university or a decision. I don't like our chances, but I am not totally counting us out until Kerwin says we are out.

Since his tournament win he's landed Ihnen, Freeman, Greenlee, Mashburn, and Mitchell. We do not know what they are yet so to say he's done good or bad isn't fair yet. Also there are fewer recruiting tactics that are worse than hiring an AC to get one player. It hardly ever works and brings entitlement to the player and sets a terrible tone for culture plus one and done's at a non blue blood is proving to not be a positive factor in the win column.

Pitino's best chance is to hire an assistant who is good at teaching defense and running the defense. As far as the roster goes, with the transfer market growing, they can find kids there. The B1G will be wide open again next year and if you can defend, you will compete for a spot in the top 6 in the conference.

The new athlete mobility does make selection day less powerful. Even my own kid has said if I dont like it I’ll come back here and play. Says many teammates are saying the same thing.

My wild guess is that it will have more than zero effect.

A kid wouldn't choose a school if he thought the staff was good and going to win. Job security doesn't matter to these guys like it did in the past. UNC and Zona have just as much likelihood have having a coaching change in the next four years.

Job security doesn't matter to these guys like it did in the past. UNC and Zona have just as much likelihood have having a coaching change in the next four years.
True, but there is less uncertainty that UNC and Zona will hire a high level replacement that will continue winning and developing NBA prospects. And probably not change the system up too much.

No one knows for sure who UMN will get to replace Pitino, what that staff will be like, what kind of system they'll run, if they'll develop NBA players at a high level. Don't know.

True, but there is less uncertainty that UNC and Zona will hire a high level replacement that will continue winning and developing NBA prospects. And probably not change the system up too much.

No one knows for sure who UMN will get to replace Pitino, what that staff will be like, what kind of system they'll run, if they'll develop NBA players at a high level. Don't know.

North Carolina and Zona have swung and missed on hires too. I get what you're saying, but when Kerwin makes his decision, a coaches job security will not matter. The reason why Pitino is on the hot seat might be reasons however why he isn't coming here.

North Carolina and Zona have swung and missed on hires too. I get what you're saying, but when Kerwin makes his decision, a coaches job security will not matter. The reason why Pitino is on the hot seat might be reasons however why he isn't coming here.
I just think it will be more than zero, but ultimately may not be a significant factor.

Zeke just declared, one and done, but I'm sure he took real good care of Kerwin on his visit to Tucson. They obviously have to like the Hopkins connection after he was PAC freshman of the year. And I'm sure that school treats its ball players really well.

He should have done the rolling 1-yr extension like 99% of ADs do. You should not let a college coach go into the last year of deal. You fire them with multiple years left on the contract or extend them.

This is really painful, if he doesn't end up coming here.

I know, in his mind and in his heart, he thinks he's saying the right thing. I just wish he wouldn't. Because it feels like he's going to end up not coming here, and these words will just end up feeling like stabs in the heart of our fan base, rather than feeling genuine.

Walton's gone. (My prediction)
I'm tired of these kids and their parents playing this dragged out game of "pay attention to me with my list and follow me on twitter."
Kid...shut up and just sign where you want to go, but don't be a f&cking drama queen and drag this sh!t out. It makes you look like a narcissist.
Do whatever you wish, but don't play this f&cking game.

This is really painful, if he doesn't end up coming here.

I know, in his mind and in his heart, he thinks he's saying the right thing. I just wish he wouldn't. Because it feels like he's going to end up not coming here, and these words will just end up feeling like stabs in the heart of our fan base, rather than feeling genuine.
Minnesota has a slight edge over some of the other schools.

That's great and all, but unless we have an edge over all of the other schools, it doesn't matter.

I'm tired of these kids and their parents playing this dragged out game of "pay attention to me with my list and follow me on twitter."
Kid...shut up and just sign where you want to go, but don't be a f&cking drama queen and drag this sh!t out. It makes you look like a narcissist.

It's a big decision. No need to rush it if you aren't 100% sure.

Agreed. No need to tell anyone until you decide.
On the other hand, you've got everybody and their dog (including GH Posters) constantly wondering and asking what you're thinking. Have you made a choice? Are you thinking of staying home? Are you considering Minnesota? How seriously on a scale of 1-10? When will you know? Is Minnesota on your list, yes or no? How high on your list? Why won't you give us an answer? If you say Minnesota is a maybe and go elsewhere, you're a traitor. If you say Minnesota is a maybe, why don't you just choose us right now-otherwise you're playing games with us.

Put yourself in your 17 year old mind-set, only with all the media and peer pressure of today's world and honestly think about how you would handle things. Pretty sure it's overwhelming for these kids and their parents. They probably honestly don't know, but don't want to give out too much false hope or get somebody pissed at them for giving too much or not enough information.

Seems like life would be so much simpler if we could just be patient and wait until the end of the process to see what happens.

In other words, don't be a "Quinn". Quinn set the standard for being a narcissist drama queen.

Top Bottom