All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

So what's the problem?

Hint: rhymes with Mitino.

For as much as everyone wants to think we are a great destination for a potential recruit and how our school is better than school x, y, or z you need to take a breath and look at the reality of things.

We aren’t.

Whether you want to blame it on a mediocre record for the last decade (or two), the coaching deficiencies, kids not wanting to stay home, the cold weather, the barn, or whatever you want to blame it on, there are a ton of reasons why we won’t compete with most of the schools listed previously.

Yes, there will always be those close calls in getting that star recruit everybody wants to sign here or stay home but when you are fighting the North Carolina’s of the world you have some serious ground to make up.

Is Wisconsin just lucky/fortunate then?
A plan to identify who knew what and whom they knew. The names do not win press conferences but the coaches consulted knew they would build, then win. In coaching circles their hires were already legends.

A plan to identify who knew what and whom they knew. The names do not win press conferences but the coaches consulted knew they would build, then win. In coaching circles their hires were already legends.
You said that great coaches are very rare and hard to bring here. I assume it’s no easier to being a great coach to Madison.
Why have they been able to get two?

“The schools that stand out right now are Arizona, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Creighton, “ Kerwin Walton Sr. said.

That's what his dad told an Arizona 247 guy. Gophers are absolutely still in the mix for Kerwin, according to people in the know.

That's what his dad told an Arizona 247 guy. Gophers are absolutely still in the mix for Kerwin, according to people in the know.
Why do you think that Kerwin's dad doesn't think that Minnesota "stands out right now", with his son? Do you think the father is out of touch with what his son is thinking?

Granted, young people can change their minds quickly and irrationally.

Why do you think that Kerwin's dad doesn't think that Minnesota "stands out right now", with his son? Do you think the father is out of touch with what his son is thinking?

Granted, young people can change their minds quickly and irrationally.
Parents can want the “big lights” for their kid, where the player may have different priorities.

So again (like the Carr announcement), words spoken/Tweeted, end up meaning something other than what the words themselves said.

Although, it seems more than a little "convenient" that the finalists are exactly the five schools the father mentioned ..... oh yeah, plus Minnesota. Of course. How could I have forgotten to mention them?

I didn’t read anything beyond a tweet, but the quote’s full context means a whoooolle lot. I think the tweet I saw was “doing a lot of work”.

1) the conversation could have implicitly steered away from Minnesota or already covered them. This context maybe never put into ink.
2) the father knows so much more than everything else, and is probably doing his best to avoid influencing his son too much. Do we think the dad doesn’t like MN? Was it possible he was deflecting his desire for Kerwin to stay home by public ally opening the door to other options?

Makes you wonder if Kerwin said to his father something like "Dad! What the hell man! You didn't include Minnesota! It's like a state law, if you're a 4/5 star, you have to include them in your final group, even though you're not going there!"
No chance he commits to the Gophers! Wouldn’t you think he would double and triple check his statement before he posted it?

No chance he commits to the Gophers! Wouldn’t you think he would double and triple check his statement before he posted it?
I would actually appreciate the honesty, myself, if a top MN player did not put the Gophers into his final group out of feeling the obligatory need honor them, or something to that effect.

If you don't want to stay home, fine. Don't string us along.

I would actually appreciate the honesty, myself, if a top MN player did not put the Gophers into his final group out of feeling the obligatory need honor them, or something to that effect.

I agree, it seems like all the other top 4/5 star players include the Gophers and we get dissed. I sure appreciate that Daniel committed and stuck around for 2 years. It can be done, and you will play at the next level.

I think what matters to us matters little to nothing in the minds of the recruit. And that is as it should be.

My guess is the Gophers staff knows what is going on and whether there is any reasonable chance he could sign here. That's enough. For all the "stringing along" we tend to complain about, the only two I recall doing that in any semi-public way were Reid Travis and Dawson Garcia. Hurt, Suggs, Jones brothers, etc. likely made it known early on there was no chance. Travis and Garcia by all accounts seriously thought about the U before going in another direction at the end. Pisses me off, but to accuse them of messing with us is out of bounds.

Truthfully, I don't see a lot of local recruits stringing us along. All players have "top 5" when they are really only considering two and maybe hoping for an offer from another.

I think what matters to us matters little to nothing in the minds of the recruit. And that is as it should be.

My guess is the Gophers staff knows what is going on and whether there is any reasonable chance he could sign here. That's enough. For all the "stringing along" we tend to complain about, the only two I recall doing that in any semi-public way were Reid Travis and Dawson Garcia. Hurt, Suggs, Jones brothers, etc. likely made it known early on there was no chance. Travis and Garcia by all accounts seriously thought about the U before going in another direction at the end. Pisses me off, but to accuse them of messing with us is out of bounds.

Truthfully, I don't see a lot of local recruits stringing us along. All players have "top 5" when they are really only considering two and maybe hoping for an offer from another.
What you say is just fine.

But in this specific case ... the dad says "here are essentially the top five right now", and we're not in the list .... then the next day a Tweet comes out with that exact same top five, but then also including us, for a top six.

Seems a bit suspect.

But in this specific case ... the dad says "here are essentially the top five right now", and we're not in the list .... then the next day a Tweet comes out with that exact same top five, but then also including us, for a top six.

Seems a bit suspect.

I can't wait to see your reaction when he becomes a Gopher!:D:D

You said that great coaches are very rare and hard to bring here. I assume it’s no easier to being a great coach to Madison.
Why have they been able to get two?
Because they had really smart people doing the hiring , not asking people with a bias, not asking moronic questions.

Seems a bit suspect.
Not to me. Perhaps it what was simply on his dads mind and things are still evolving during a most unusual time.

Because they had really smart people doing the hiring , not asking people with a bias, not asking moronic questions.
So we had dumb people doing the hiring, asking people with a bias, and asking moronic questions.

Was this Tubby and Pitino, just Pitino, or Monson too?

Not to me. Perhaps it what was simply on his dads mind and things are still evolving during a most unusual time.
Five very specific schools just happened to be on his dad’s mind as what stood out, in the heat of the moment?

Maybe I just give people too much credit, to be rational?

Five very specific schools just happened to be on his dad’s mind as what stood out, in the heat of the moment?

Maybe I just give people too much credit, to be rational?
Pretty sure your guess is as good as mine. Just seems like everything, including sports and what is changing by the hour. Recent events can give greater meaning to staying home. These events can mean budget concerns for travel, missing home, coaches on hot seats, investigations, Roy Williams health...

Love the cliffhangers...
Roy Williams fainted on the court a couple times and has taken breaks due to various surgeries. He's going to be done soon and that's not really privy info. I have no confidence in the NCAA to hit Self, Miller, or McDermott, but who knows

So we had dumb people doing the hiring, asking people with a bias, and asking moronic questions.

Was this Tubby and Pitino, just Pitino, or Monson too?
I do not blame them for saying yes but the people in power had very little idea to figure how to hire and to what vision. Those folks were asked questions that they had no answers to and thus did not even know who to pursue and how.

Top Bottom