All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I'm not arguing the Minnesota point. I'm a homer, but still realistic. But are his only options MN and Creighton? Ahhh, no. I don't like UNC but of course that's a better option because you can take underwater basket weaving as a class (which I've heard is a brutal class) and still be on national tv every week.
You don’t think there’s an equivalent class to underwater basket weaving at Minnesota?

I don't know. I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek. But when the Gophers got busted for academic crap, the death sentence. It happens at UNC, and oh well...it's UNC, nothing to see here. I understand the differences. But how in the hell did nothing happen to UNC? Nothing. Pure insanity.

I like watching UNC play basketball - except this year. They were horrible this year. They are usually fun to watch. And they usually win a decent amount - which I like.

I am certain analytics show min is weak at recruiting its own state and suddenly this is the big east prime territory.

I look forward to April 14th when Walton commits to being a Gopher. He will be a star here and his shooting puts him on the court day one.

When a team as bad as this year’s Wisconsin wins a share of your conference, that’s a pretty bad look. Just watch a Big East game and compare it to one of the top games in the Big Ten. Its night and day. The BE has better talent and better coaches which leads to a more effective and watchable brand of basketball.

If Carolina is one of the finalists, not holding my breath on Walton. One of these 3 things will happen for 2020-21:

1 Gopher roster includes Oturu & Walton

2 Gopher roster includes one or the other

3 Gopher roster includes neither

#1 would be awesome, #2 provides hope for immediate future (especially if Oturu returns), #3 and we’re headed back to Weakling Wednesday.

We need somebody who's got the Insider Insider information on the chances of these
If Carolina is one of the finalists, not holding my breath on Walton. One of these 3 things will happen for 2020-21:

#1 would be awesome, #2 provides hope for immediate future (especially if Oturu returns), #3 and we’re headed back to Weakling Wednesday.
We need somebody who's got the Insider Info. on these decisions. I'd have to guess it's either going to be #2 or #3. #3 is probably most likely. I know that's negative but I'm trying to be realistic as possible. I see Walton's recruiting list and it's tough. I just think Oturu is gone but I could also be wrong there. I'd love to be wrong with both. That would be big time.

I like Walton but I dont see him as a difference maker for 2 to be true if it is him and no Oturo. I think he will be a solid player who you need on a roster but probably closer to Gabe than a major impact to lead us to a tourney berth

!

Hopkins (Minn.) 2020 shooting guard Kerwin Walton Jr. has long been one of Arizona’s top recruiting targets and while Arizona was in on Walton first, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that his recruitment has gone national.
“The schools that stand out right now are Arizona, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Creighton, “ Kerwin Walton Sr. said. “With Arizona there is a level of comfort because of how they have recruited Kerwin and when you see how they recruited and told Zeke how he would play and that all came to fruition. Now, Kerwin plays a different position but that certainly bodes well for Arizona.
“Arizona was at the very front for awhile but now competition has certainly emerged from North Carolina and Creighton then you have some other schools like Georgetown and Vanderbilt that are in the mix.”

!

Hopkins (Minn.) 2020 shooting guard Kerwin Walton Jr. has long been one of Arizona’s top recruiting targets and while Arizona was in on Walton first, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that his recruitment has gone national.

“The schools that stand out right now are Arizona, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Creighton, “ Kerwin Walton Sr. said. “With Arizona there is a level of comfort because of how they have recruited Kerwin and when you see how they recruited and told Zeke how he would play and that all came to fruition. Now, Kerwin plays a different position but that certainly bodes well for Arizona.

“Arizona was at the very front for awhile but now competition has certainly emerged from North Carolina and Creighton then you have some other schools like Georgetown and Vanderbilt that are in the mix.”

UNC is still the darkhorse here from what I've heard. Kerwin likes his family and is tight with them, so still not a guarantee that he leaves even if his dad didn't mention us, but I do think it's a longshot and has been for awhile. Creighton plays a style that fits Kerwin well. Will be interesting to see, he's the one I've wanted out of this class from the start and we went after him hard the whole time.

I’m not going to get too bent out of shape about Kerwin. Would be a nice pick up for sure, but there is a gaping hole at center. I’d even take an average sit out transfer at center with two years eligibility to help in future years over Walton, since I don’t think Walton’s impact on next years roster would be all that large. This team is too often plagued at a single position and seasons become tanked for that reason. We have experienced depth at the wing, but such an unknown in the post.

I’m not going to get too bent out of shape about Kerwin. Would be a nice pick up for sure, but there is a gaping hole at center. I’d even take an average sit out transfer at center with two years eligibility to help in future years over Walton, since I don’t think Walton’s impact on next years roster would be all that large. This team is too often plagued at a single position and seasons become tanked for that reason. We have experienced depth at the wing, but such an unknown in the post.

The only pushback I'd give is guards win and having a plethora of them would've been awesome. I think it's easier to find serviceable big guys that can defend and rebound. Finding high level 3 point shooters who defend is harder. The proof is in the fact that look at the offers Kerwin has gotten and that is why I'm not too bent out of shape or will hold it against the staff. He's also nice because he's probably a 3-4 year player too, but getting a capable big is extremely important if we want to improve next year and may pay better short term dividends.

The only pushback I'd give is guards win and having a plethora of them would've been awesome. I think it's easier to find serviceable big guys that can defend and rebound. Finding high level 3 point shooters who defend is harder. The proof is in the fact that look at the offers Kerwin has gotten and that is why I'm not too bent out of shape or will hold it against the staff. He's also nice because he's probably a 3-4 year player too, but getting a capable big is extremely important if we want to improve next year and may pay better short term dividends.
Agree with everything here. If lose on kerwin and still go and sign a wing with a lower grade on Pitino’s list, I’ll probably be disappointed. But if we use the scholarship to address needs, I won’t mind. Excellent point on the 3-4 player thing, we absolutely need those, but I feel we can win now and in 3-4 years if we shore up the post. I like the range that our current 2020 recruits seem to bring.

Looking like #3 is a near lock now....

Sad to say, but at this point I assume a signee is not picking Minnesota until he actually does. We have had far to many misses on recruits for me to be hopeful.
The trend on misses is just too much for me to hold on to hope. Let me know when a recruit actually wants to attend UMN. Otherwise it's a waste of my energy.

Crieghton? Huh. Well, ok. I guess it is only a six hour drive, and maybe they're promising significant playing time or starting role as true freshman.

I've said this before and it still stands, from a high school kid's perspective, I don't think there's a comparison between playing at Arizona/North Carolina/Creighton and playing at Minnesota.

Arizona routinely puts kids in the NBA even if the head coach has earned reputations as shady and underachieving. Fact is that they are going to have three guys get drafted in the first round this year.

UNC is one of the blue blood programs in the country, play an up-and-down style of basketball with a coach that is regarded as one of the best in the sport (even if that may be an old notion) and there's a rare opportunity currently with the roster where he could come in and play regular minutes immediately.

Creighton, despite some of the uninformed thinking they are still a cute mid-major outfit, is on track to go into next year ranked in the top-10, in a very good basketball conference, not terribly far from home if that's a factor with a coach and playing style that allows kids to flourish offensively.

Watching all three of those teams play is not a grind like it is watching the Gophers/Big 10

And there is still the whole situation with D1 Minnesota. Until a D1 Minnesota kid picks the Gophers again, consider that relationship fractured.

You cooled on him?

Sad to say, but at this point I assume a signee is not picking Minnesota until he actually does. We have had far to many misses on recruits for me to be hopeful.
The trend on misses is just too much for me to hold on to hope. Let me know when a recruit actually wants to attend UMN. Otherwise it's a waste of my energy.
Most coaches don’t get most of the players they offer. Many more misses than hits for everyone.

Its discerning to read about volleyball signing national recruits, Fleck signing highly rated recruits and we (Pitino) can't even get local stars to stay here.

Its discerning to read about volleyball signing national recruits, Fleck signing highly rated recruits and we (Pitino) can't even get local stars to stay here.
We can't even get kids that grew up Gopher fans (i.e. Dawson Garcia).

Most coaches don’t get most of the players they offer. Many more misses than hits for everyone.
No doubt about that and even more so for local kids. The difference is that the best ones get kids that they put together that win. When they win they build a name for themselves and they attract even better players. We have kept home some of the very best from the state and has not brought any level of program greatness. We have beat the home town thing to death. You have to find your guys, no matter where they are from and build a successful team, that is the job of a head coach and his staff. These kids are smart, they generally pick the coach that they think is the best they are offered by, add in the factor of playing time, style, location etc..... The best coaches would win huge here, because they would win anywhere.

No doubt about that and even more so for local kids. The difference is that the best ones get kids that they put together that win. When they win they build a name for themselves and they attract even better players. We have kept home some of the very best from the state and has not brought any level of program greatness. We have beat the home town thing to death. You have to find your guys, no matter where they are from and build a successful team, that is the job of a head coach and his staff. These kids are smart, they generally pick the coach that they think is the best they are offered by, add in the factor of playing time, style, location etc..... The best coaches would win huge here, because they would win anywhere.

Most people refuse to look and acknowledge that point on most local recruits going elsewhere. The transient nature of AAU and it's ability to be nationwide allows more coaches to recruit more kids in all areas. You are also right that the kids are smart now. They look at it as more of a business decision and it rarely has to do with any fandom.

I could not agree with you more. You take the time to open the webpage and it’s mostly about Minnesota kids signing with other colleges. I guess we get strung along for about a year or so before the decision is made

We can't even get kids that grew up Gopher fans (i.e. Dawson Garcia).
Totally agree. Wash your hands from those guys and move on cheer for the people who want to be Gophers!
We need more young athletes like Daniel Oturu. He had a very nice piece that he shared with a sports writer a few weeks back. Thanks for the memories Daniel.

I've said this before and it still stands, from a high school kid's perspective, I don't think there's a comparison between playing at Arizona/North Carolina/Creighton and playing at Minnesota.

Arizona routinely puts kids in the NBA even if the head coach has earned reputations as shady and underachieving. Fact is that they are going to have three guys get drafted in the first round this year.

UNC is one of the blue blood programs in the country, play an up-and-down style of basketball with a coach that is regarded as one of the best in the sport (even if that may be an old notion) and there's a rare opportunity currently with the roster where he could come in and play regular minutes immediately.

Creighton, despite some of the uninformed thinking they are still a cute mid-major outfit, is on track to go into next year ranked in the top-10, in a very good basketball conference, not terribly far from home if that's a factor with a coach and playing style that allows kids to flourish offensively.

Watching all three of those teams play is not a grind like it is watching the Gophers/Big 10

And there is still the whole situation with D1 Minnesota. Until a D1 Minnesota kid picks the Gophers again, consider that relationship fractured.
Well, You also have to look at what may be giving those schools their "success" and if that is the values that you want a kid to learn. It is akin to hanging out with the cool kid because he has all the friends and a fast car, so what if he sells drugs to get it.

Sean Miller has payed kids to play for Arizona (https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-s...asketball-corruption-case-20190501-story.html).

UNC has fake classes for players to remain eligible and cheat the student out of an education and is under investigation for paying players in the shoe scandal.

And Creighton is also implicated in paying players in the show scandal.

As a parent, I would never allow my kid to play for such schools that teach that "cheating pays". As a player, I would never want to be associated with such school, no mater how they play. The only thing you truly have is your character, and if you are willing to give that away then you have Nothing!

Top Bottom