All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

The article said Walton was offered by UNC in September. Spots must have filled up and he wasn't one of the first wave of guys chosen. Now the spot is open due to the recent transfer.

UNC is expected to get a commitment from a transfer forward tonight from what I read this morning. Gophers are absolutely without a doubt still in play, and Kerwin without any doubts is Pitino's top priority and has been for a while.

The article said Walton was offered by UNC in September. Spots must have filled up and he wasn't one of the first wave of guys chosen. Now the spot is open due to the recent transfer.
Talk about living a charmed life! The hottest chick in the school dumps you and then months later she's begging you to get back together! What a country!

I agree, all the information has been sitting in front of him for a year!
Makes me think Roy told him there are a couple of guys he's waiting to hear from (Wertz, ?, ?) and if they fall through the spot is Kerwin's. If true he must really want to be a Tar Heel to allow himself to get strung along for so long.

Or, just as likely that my take is way off the mark and he wants to string Roy along for stringing him along and will sign with us to leave Roy holding the bag.

Last edited:

UNC is expected to get a commitment from a transfer forward tonight from what I read this morning. Gophers are absolutely without a doubt still in play, and Kerwin without any doubts is Pitino's top priority and has been for a while.
Who's the transfer forward?

Makes me think Roy told him there are a couple of guys he's waiting to hear from (Wertz, ?, ?) and if they fall through the spot is Kerwin's. If true he must really want to be a Tar He to allow himself to get strung along for so long.
But why not? He knows he can tell Pitino to get on his knees and beg, any time he wants, and he will. So no risk there.

I say just go grab peterson. It's not ideal he wants to redshirt next year though.
I think it's a different Rice transfer - Trey Murphy - who wants to redshirt next year no matter what. I don't think Peterson has that desire, although he may have no choice if the one-time rule doesn't pass (it's going to pass, however).

But why not? He knows he can tell Pitino to get on his knees and beg, any time he wants, and he will. So no risk there.
My point was less about the position of power he has here and more about the seemingly total lack of power he has at UNC, but I get what you're saying. I would only argue that there is a little risk for him. It is possible that Pitino decides to move on (Haarms, Peterson, ?). I'm guessing he'd check with Kerwin one last time, and if the answer is still "wait and see," he pulls the trigger. Then what happens if Walton doesn'tget the spot at UNC? It's a matter of what he really thinks about Georgetown, Vandy, and Creighton compared to us.

Last edited:

I think it's a different Rice transfer - Trey Murphy - who wants to redshirt next year no matter what. I don't think Peterson has that desire, although he may have no choice if the one-time rule doesn't pass (it's going to pass, however).
I thought I saw that if he came to big ten he wanted to redshirt to get stronger for the step up in class. He may not have choice in if hes eligible next year, but he definately has say if he wants to redshirt.

Why not decide this weekend? He has a Gophers commitable offer right now.

Because we're not his first choice. He's waiting on the decision of someone else, to see if a spot ends up being available at another school (UNC?). That's my guess.
I believe both AZ and UNC both have an open scholarship at this point too.

Talk about living a charmed life! The hottest chick in the school dumps you and then months later she's begging you to get back together! What a country!
Seems more like she's just alright with getting back together, feeling good about her life either way it goes.

I thought I saw that if he came to big ten he wanted to redshirt to get stronger for the step up in class. He may not have choice in if hes eligible next year, but he definately has say if he wants to redshirt.
If he did, I must have missed it. I guess I don’t know.

I’m not a big fan of redshirting in hoops. There’s no guarantee the player will cash in the year with you.

How many more is UNC waiting on before Kerwin is allowed to commit?
I don't know but I can't believe Wertz is the only domino knowing that Walton's decision is 2 weeks away. I'm thinking maybe that transfer forward you were talking about takes UNC's open scholly and Kerwin has to wait to see if Cole Anthony goes pro? Maybe Cole told Roy he'd have his decision within the next couple weeks.

I don't know but I can't believe Wertz is the only domino knowing that Walton's decision is 2 weeks away. I'm thinking maybe that transfer forward you were talking about takes UNC's open scholly and Kerwin has to wait to see if Cole Anthony goes pro? Maybe Cole told Roy he'd have his decision within the next couple weeks.
My bad, NWMetroGopher was talking about the transfer forward.

Wertz had no effect on Walton. North Carolina hadn't talked to Wertz in over two weeks. Walton could commit to any of his final schools at any time he wanted he isn't waiting for the all clear from someone. His coach just said last week he truly doesn't know where he is going. I'd bet Kerwin is closer to a decision now that he has actually set a date but still don't think he has 100% decided.

Williams considering AZ, USC, and Stanford. Wing player, could impact the Walton decision.

Wertz had no effect on Walton. North Carolina hadn't talked to Wertz in over two weeks. Walton could commit to any of his final schools at any time he wanted he isn't waiting for the all clear from someone. His coach just said last week he truly doesn't know where he is going. I'd bet Kerwin is closer to a decision now that he has actually set a date but still don't think he has 100% decided.
This is what I would also like to believe.

From reading the Arizona 247 board it appears they've moved on from Kerwin and are confident they can land a forward similar to or better before his April 25 announcement. I'm not sure UNC will have a scholarship left in that time frame either. My gut tells me it's between the Gophers and UNC, unless the Heels get a commit before April 25.

Top Bottom