All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I gotta think Pitino has a better read on what his chances with Walton are. If he thinks we are still a realistic chance (>30%?) I think it's worth it to hold out for him.

I can't imagine what Walton is still evaluating about the programs at this point other than watching to see what happens with guys declaring for the draft (Green in AZ), last second commits (O'Connell to Creighton) or a space being made for him (Huffman leaving UNC). I don't blame him at all for waiting. His talent has afforded him that luxury and it will benefit him.

That said if Pitino gets the sense he is just stringing us along as a fallback and now that some of those situations have not broken our way he is unlikely to come here, I would take Peterson now. I just feel like we have watched this movie too many times.

Walton is clearly stringing the U along, plus look at all the free basketball tickets he got out of the U.

Reactions: Go4

We’re not doing the Good Friday thing again, as that is irrelevant.

As previously stated—Jesus wasn’t crucified in in the spring. If you want to recognize the crucifixion and rising from the tomb, head on over to October.

Christian holidays were set to align with Pagan holidays. Jesus’ birth is probably around this time. Not in December.
Also, neither the US, nor the state of Minnesota, are officially Christian.

So it's silly to propose that all inhabitants are somehow obligated to respect one particular god or religious figure, over any of the others.

Interesting talk on the Arizona 247 board. Last week, Walton was a lock to commit there. Now, they're pretty confident he's NOT going there and they're getting a transfer wing.
Guess he wouldn't go for the money. Not their type of guy, after all.

Why are you so insistent that everybody in college basketball cheats?
I never said any such thing.

Paying players isn’t that easy to hide
You don't have to hide it. It's not illegal to give someone money.

And sure, the definition of a handler isn’t rigid but to act like a father influencing his son’s decisions is a bad thing is ridiculous.
Who said being a handler is a bad thing?

You sure are projecting a lot of your personal opinions, onto me, and putting a lot of words in my mouth that I never said.

I’ll
I think you take Peterson if he is willing to commit. I don't want another situation where we end up giving our 13th scholarship to a walk-on.

Right take Walton or Peterson - if one is willing take him and move on. Either one would be a great addition.

Why not decide this weekend? He has a Gophers commitable offer right now.

Because we're not his first choice. He's waiting on the decision of someone else, to see if a spot ends up being available at another school (UNC?). That's my guess.

Because we're not his first choice. He's waiting on the decision of someone else, to see if a spot ends up being available at another school (UNC?). That's my guess.
North Carolina already has a spot too. They had a guy transfer earlier this week.

North Carolina already has a spot too. They had a guy transfer earlier this week.
They might have a spot, but Kerwin might not be their first choice to fill it.

Makes you truly wonder, how many guys/schools ever end up with their first choices.

They might have a spot, but Kerwin might not be their first choice to fill it.

Makes you truly wonder, how many guys/schools ever end up with their first choices.
Yup, it's why "offer lists" mean so very little. We have no idea if the offer is committable or not yet, or if it dried up long ago.

My guess, no idea how correct it is.

Minnesota:
1 - Kerwin (waiting on Kerwin)
2 - Peterson

UNC:
1 - ??
n(?) - ??
n+1 - Kerwin

Kerwin:
1 - UNC (waiting on 1 through n to decide at UNC)
2 - Minnesota
(this is based mainly on a lot of the other schools having already gotten guys)

Peterson:
1 - Minnesota (waiting on Kerwin)
2 - ??

Yeah I don't think this spells good news, although as we all know, Kerwin has a very non-traditional approach to recruitment so we really have no idea what he's thinking.

I'm fully expecting him to choose another school but willing to be pleasantly surprised if he ends up choosing the good guys. No disappointment that way.

Kerwin could simply be like a lot of seniors. He may just be having trouble deciding where he wants to go, for him likely the next four years of his life. Just because he plays basketball does not make him immune to the challenges of making the first really big decision of his life. He’s just having to do it with all kinds of people he doesn’t know paying attention to it. Many, many seniors wait right up to May 1, decision day at all schools if you want to hold your spot and whatever merit scholarship you might have received (although extended this year at many schools due to COVID).

he may not be holding out for anything, just is having a hard time deciding. That would be very normal.

he may not be holding out for anything, just is having a hard time deciding.
Having a hard time deciding between UNC and the Gophers?

Sorry, but my imagination only stretches so far.

My guess, no idea how correct it is.

Minnesota:
1 - Kerwin (waiting on Kerwin)
2 - Peterson

UNC:
1 - ??
n(?) - ??
n+1 - Kerwin

Kerwin:
1 - UNC (waiting on 1 through n to decide at UNC)
2 - Minnesota
(this is based mainly on a lot of the other schools having already gotten guys)

Peterson:
1 - Minnesota (waiting on Kerwin)
2 - ??
I say just go grab peterson. It's not ideal he wants to redshirt next year though. Looks like walton just waiting for any excuse not to come here. Hes been like the 10th option for unc for months. From what I've been reading on here, he doesnt even have an offer. Tired of recruits stringing us along. If he wanted to go here he would have committed long ago. There is chance he could start here. Everywhere else minutes will be scarce. Sounds like he doesnt want to be here.

Yes, but my guess is that he doesn't have the NC offer yet. Does Roy want to bring in 6 frosh or is there a transfer that NC is thinking about? My concern for the Gophers is that Walton makes us wait and we lose Peterson during that time frame...

Roy wants talent period. If they aren’t going to be great they will be young. He’s setting up one more run before he retires. It says something to me when UNC announces a transfer and the next day Kerwin sets an announcement date. You are right on if he has a commits or offer though

Kerwin could simply be like a lot of seniors. He may just be having trouble deciding where he wants to go, for him likely the next four years of his life. Just because he plays basketball does not make him immune to the challenges of making the first really big decision of his life. He’s just having to do it with all kinds of people he doesn’t know paying attention to it. Many, many seniors wait right up to May 1, decision day at all schools if you want to hold your spot and whatever merit scholarship you might have received (although extended this year at many schools due to COVID).

he may not be holding out for anything, just is having a hard time deciding. That would be very normal.
I will agree with you, but my biggest thing is that all the cards have been in front of him for a year.

UNC insider says he is their top target and they really are only recruiting one other guy.
Then there would be no reason to wait until the 25th.

I really doubt he needs an extra two weeks just “think it over” between UNC and Minnesota.

Then there would be no reason to wait until the 25th.

I really doubt he needs an extra two weeks just “think it over” between UNC and Minnesota.
I dont think he thinks minnesota is a better program than unc, but he might be weighing the fact that he could start here as opposed to being behind 2 guys at unc. With that being said I think he chooses UNC. No need to wait.

I dont think he thinks minnesota is a better program than unc, but he might be weighing the fact that he could start here as opposed to being behind 2 guys at unc. With that being said I think he chooses UNC. No need to wait.
Right ... but he’s known all this for like how many years/months?? Two more weeks is going to solve it?

I’m a massive skeptic and pessimist, when it comes to people’s’ motivations.

Good point and UNC us always bringing in more takent at your position - not like here.

From what I've been reading on here, he doesnt even have an offer.
The article said Walton was offered by UNC in September. Spots must have filled up and he wasn't one of the first wave of guys chosen. Now the spot is open due to the recent transfer.

Right ... but he’s known all this for like how many years/months?? Two more weeks is going to solve it?

I’m a massive skeptic and pessimist, when it comes to people’s’ motivations.
I agree, all the information has been sitting in front of him for a year!

The article said Walton was offered by UNC in September. Spots must have filled up and he wasn't one of the first wave of guys chosen. Now the spot is open due to the recent transfer.
That makes more sense. Wouldnt think unc would have him on campus and not offer.

Top Bottom