All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I assume priority 1 has to be Walton, and we only have 1 scholarship available. Does that mean you wait it out with all of these guys and potentially miss these transfers? Or do you buy hard into the transfers and concede on Walton with most speculation already being that he's headed elsewhere? The best of worlds would just be for Walton to commit ASAP. Whether it's to play for us or not. Without that coming anytime soon, it's gotta be a headache for Pitino.

If you wait it out with Walton and it takes a while, that's where you probably end up with the Mykell Robinson. These transfers could all commit before Walton makes his decision.
My personal opinion is that if Walton wanted to be a Gopher he would have given some clear indication by now. I would use the remaining scholarship to fit current needs as defined by the coaching staff if the right person becomes available.

My personal opinion is that if Walton wanted to be a Gopher he would have given some clear indication by now. I would use the remaining scholarship to fit current needs as defined by the coaching if the right person becomes available.
I agree with you, but you hate to just concede on a hometown kid of his caliber. I see it both ways, but I would also tend to think that Pitino has decent insight into if there's any realistic chance at getting Walton, and it doesn't seem to be that way from the outside looking in.

I agree with you, but you hate to just concede on a hometown kid of his caliber. I see it both ways, but I would also tend to think that Pitino has decent insight into if there's any realistic chance at getting Walton, and it doesn't seem to be that way from the outside looking in.
I hate to concede on a hometown kid also and would love to see Walton in a Gopher uniform but Walton has to fully understand the score here and know that we have to move on sooner or later. I agree that Pitino must have some pretty good insight as to the chances of Walton committing so we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

I hate to concede on a hometown kid also and would love to see Walton in a Gopher uniform but Walton has to fully understand the score here and know that we have to move on sooner or later. I agree that Pitino must have some pretty good insight as to the chances of Walton committing so we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

I think we will know the extent of Pitino's insight once we sign another player

I think we will know the extent of Pitino's insight once we sign another player
I agree. With the way we've been actively recruiting the transfer scene, it's hard to think Walton is staying home.

You keep repeating this take, and it's terrible. The head coach and their job security will absolutely be a factor when a recruit chooses a school in almost every case.
I guarantee you Pitinos and others job security does not matter. Look at his list of schools. Miller and McDermott could easily get hit by the NCAA before Pitino would get fired. Roy is cnot lose t retiring as well at UNC. In basketball a coaches job security is not nearly as valuable as in a sport like football.
I find your take that it matters in almost every case terrible. Kids pick who they feel are the best coaches for them, what the best school environment for them, and what's on the roster. That's what matters in almost every case

But if we do want to talk Pitino, I think we are currently setup nicely for a 7-8 win B1G season and another 11-14th place finish in the conference. We are losing Oturu, an All-American and one of the best players we've had in a generation. Carr may or may not be back. Robbins may or may not be eligible.

Yes, again with your uber-cynical view point. 2 of those things are speculation. Yes, if you want to assume everything plays out worst-case, then maybe 7-8 wins. But if one or both of those go the Gophers way, then it looks quite a bit different next year.

if the coaching staff wasn't pursuing transfers and Walton at the same time, I would be very disappointed
True, I think point more being in doesn't feel great with the aggression in the transfer market. But yeah that makes sense. No harm in losing guys when you get a better one. Options.

I'd say odds, even from outside Minnesota, are that Carr will be back and Robbins will be able to play this year. Far from a sure thing, but seems like there's momentum with the NCAA and a general waiver rule this year based on corona. Or Robbins will get one in reference to his reasoning of corona being a part of it. NCAA might not believe it, but sure is a bad look if you say that. Though that hasn't stopped them from blocking transfers before.

Yes, again with your uber-cynical view point. 2 of those things are speculation. Yes, if you want to assume everything plays out worst-case, then maybe 7-8 wins. But if one or both of those go the Gophers way, then it looks quite a bit different next year.
Not necessarily cynical, worst case is they all play and go 4-16. It is wise to remember that the other teams may have improved and added and once that 40 minute game starts you have to fight every possession.

Arizona just got a grad transfer guard. Anyone know their scholarship situation and if that affects Walton at all? Looking at his stats he seems like a much different player than Walton, but still a guard, so hopefully they're less likely to take him now.

Correct. Really it doesn't make much sense to start projecting conference wins until the rosters become static. Way too many transfers, pro decisions, and open scholarships to make an informed projection at this point.

Arizona just got a grad transfer guard. Anyone know their scholarship situation and if that affects Walton at all? Looking at his stats he seems like a much different player than Walton, but still a guard, so hopefully they're less likely to take him now.
Smaller.quicker kind of guard but even with room it can affect Walton.

He looks to be a PG. There are a couple of guy that would be competing with Walton there though- a 6-6 Soph to be named Josh Green averaged 8.6 as a frosh and they picked up SF Dalen Terry also in that same size range...

I still find it remarkable that Walton hasn't made a decision yet. I know it's the biggest decision of his life to date, and he's certainly entitled to do so at his own pace, but his ability to control his own destiny diminishes the longer he waits.

There is very little information left to gather. He's got the menu right in front of him, he's sampled all the offerings, and all he has to do is choose.

My personal opinion is that if Walton wanted to commit to North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Creighton or Georgetown he would have given some clear indication by now.

Same could be said for Minnesota. Most local recruits commit locally early.

So your going to trash the Walton's on what Dawkins says ?
Creighton and Arizona have been proven to take players who are being paid cash under the table.

Why isn't that fact enough for the Waltons to remove them from their list? Make your own conclusions.

He looks to be a PG. There are a couple of guy that would be competing with Walton there though- a 6-6 Soph to be named Josh Green averaged 8.6 as a frosh and they picked up SF Dalen Terry also in that same size range...

Do they definitely have a spot open for him?

Same could be said for Minnesota. Most local recruits commit locally early.
You may have misunderstood my point. If the same can be said for all schools, why differentiate like the post I replied to seemed to do?

I guarantee you Pitinos and others job security does not matter. Look at his list of schools. Miller and McDermott could easily get hit by the NCAA before Pitino would get fired. Roy is cnot lose t retiring as well at UNC. In basketball a coaches job security is not nearly as valuable as in a sport like football.
I find your take that it matters in almost every case terrible. Kids pick who they feel are the best coaches for them, what the best school environment for them, and what's on the roster. That's what matters in almost every case
True but love love to know if you will be there. It is another factor.

True but love love to know if you will be there. It is another factor.

Most coaches get fired for losing. Most players don't go into a situation thinking they will lose. They think they will be able to be a part of winning.

Most coaches get fired for losing. Most players don't go into a situation thinking they will lose. They think they will be able to be a part of winning.
And if playing time is equal they will pick the coach that already wins more.Your right, MOST coaches get fired for losing and players know who wins more.

Do they definitely have a spot open for him?
This article claims that they will have a bunch of schollys open and that one of the guys I mentioned- Josh Brown is likely going into the draft. Perhaps part of Walton's hesitation there, if they are the favorite that people say- is he wants to know who is going to the NBA and who is staying...

The Arizona Wildcats have a busy offseason ahead of them, still needing to add multiple players and, now, a new assistant head coach after Justin Gainey left for Marquette.

While the NCAA recently extended a recruiting dead period that prohibits in-person contact and on-campus visits through May 31, electronic communication is still allowed, forcing programs to get creative with their recruiting pitches.

Assuming Nico Mannion and Josh Green join Zeke Nnaji in the NBA Draft as expected, the Wildcats have eight players under scholarship for the 2020-21 season: James Akinjo, Brandon Williams, Jemarl Baker Jr., Dalen Terry, Ben Mathurin, Jordan Brown, Ira Lee, and Christian Koloko.

It’s not a highly-regarded group as no major outlets have Arizona in their early preseason rankings. But a lot can change as the Wildcats can still add as many as five players.

And if playing time is equal they will pick the coach that already wins more.Your right, MOST coaches get fired for losing and players know who wins more.

Yeah it's a chicken or egg argument for some, but for me its not. A coach's job security is because they are doing something poor that has them lose and therefore they will not get to recruit as high. Those factors are that are causing the coach to lose is why they won't chose the spot so job security isn't an issue.

In football where guys come in expecting to sit a couple years before they get time, I see that being a larger factor.

Yeah it's a chicken or egg argument for some, but for me its not. A coach's job security is because they are doing something poor that has them lose and therefore they will not get to recruit as high. Those factors are that are causing the coach to lose is why they won't chose the spot so job security isn't an issue.

In football where guys come in expecting to sit a couple years before they get time, I see that being a larger factor.
Certainly is for the players and families that i know. We just had a state kid who that was a huge factor for. He hated the losing here and had no faith in the staff to change it. He felt secure in picking the proven winner. That is how IU lost Guy to UVA, he knew Bennett would be his coach because he had already turned down higher paying jobs.

I still find it remarkable that Walton hasn't made a decision yet. I know it's the biggest decision of his life to date, and he's certainly entitled to do so at his own pace, but his ability to control his own destiny diminishes the longer he waits.

There is very little information left to gather. He's got the menu right in front of him, he's sampled all the offerings, and all he has to do is choose.

How exactly has his ability to control his own destiny diminished? I'm curious

Top Bottom