All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

People get really silly and defensive about in-state players. If any MN HS player is worth a damn at all, there will be tons and tons of people bitching about it if he doesn't end up a Gopher.

My thoughts:

1. I don't care, at all, if a player is from Dinkytown or Sri Lanka. I want guys who can play. The only reason to care where anyone is from is that local players are more likely to sign due to proximity. Should we kick the Hollins "brothers" off the team because they're from Tennessee?

2. The coaches are paid to evaluate and offer talent. If he's not comfortable offering him before seeing him play (or not comfortable offering him at all), that's his prerogative and the type of choice he's paid 7 figures to make. If a player is "missed", well, he might pay with his job. It's easy for all of the keyboard jockeys to bitch and moan about who should be offered and who shouldn't, because they don't have 1/100th of the skin in the game that the coaching staff does.
I also like local kids because I've coached or watched JP, Tyus, Reid, Rashad, Joe, Joey play ball since they were in 7th grade, and many of them we've followed and lived through vicariously.

I do give a sh!it if he's from here rather than Srii Lanka.

I think people get a little freaked out about it because the state hasn't been recruited well by previous coaching staffs. It's easy to say it doesn't matter where your players come from but there aren't a lot of coaches who won't say "gotta recruit your own backyard first". Especially when u are the only D1 show in the state.

I think people get a little freaked out about it because the state hasn't been recruited well by previous coaching staffs. It's easy to say it doesn't matter where your players come from but there aren't a lot of coaches who won't say "gotta recruit your own backyard first". Especially when u are the only D1 show in the state.
Or when historically if the recruits we've gotten have been less talented than the instate

Brad Stevens hired as Celtics new coach. Has to help in the hopes to keep Macura here. Can't really think Butler is still the front runner now.

Well this is great news. This allows Pitino to step back, watch the kid play, and then offer him. I think he will end up doing it now, and JP will be our first recruit for 2014.

@TheGopherReport 13h

@jpmacura lists Butler, Kansas State and Minnesota as his top 3 schools on 247. Official to Butler starts tomorrow. Still no offer from UMN

Glad that ISU didn't get in his top schools!

Waited a few weeks now to re-ask if jp has a MN offer yet? Wonder if Stevens to the Celtics affects his decision at all. And, just curious, why are you glad that ISU didn't get in his top schools? If he doesn't choose MN, does it really make a difference? We don't play them, Butler , or KState.... well, usually we don't.

Waited a few weeks now to re-ask if jp has a MN offer yet? Wonder if Stevens to the Celtics affects his decision at all. And, just curious, why are you glad that ISU didn't get in his top schools? If he doesn't choose MN, does it really make a difference? We don't play them, Butler , or KState.... well, usually we don't.

Nothing would've happened in the last couple weeks because there was no evaluation/contact. The next open period I believe starts this Thursday. There are 3 eval periods in July (corresponding to the next 3 weekends IIRC). I'd view the next 3 weeks as being indicative whether Macura will get a Gopher offer. As many people have said, the lack of a Macura offer may have more to do with our staff's feeling on Whitehead, Newton, Vaughn, Baldwin, and/or Cohen than anything related to Macura's abilities.

As to the ISU comment, I can't speculate regarding the OP but I think ISU has annoyed some people on here with the heavy recruiting of transfers as well as the fact that Hoiberg seems to be going after a lot of Minnesota targets. Plus there might be some residual annoyance from the fact that Royce White contributed positively to their team and basically screwed ours.

If there isn't an offer.....we will be hearing Nate Wolters comments about JP for four more years. Ufdah.
Wolters never got the offers JP is getting. Compare Wolters and Ben Woodside perhaps. You could compare JP to Troy Bell.Who knows maybe JP is another Isiaah Dahlman. We know how that worked out for MSU. I'll let Pitino evaluate and second guess when all is said and done like most fans.

Wolters never got the offers JP is getting. Compare Wolters and Ben Woodside perhaps. You could compare JP to Troy Bell.Who knows maybe JP is another Isiaah Dahlman. We know how that worked out for MSU. I'll let Pitino evaluate and second guess when all is said and done like most fans.

I was sure Dahlman would be a beast since we played Braham once when he was a junior. Don't worry Macura will get offered once he has an official visit and improves his speed/endurance.

Nothing would've happened in the last couple weeks because there was no evaluation/contact.

Not true - a dead period just began Sunday. The quiet period that ended Saturday began back in April. ("Quiet period" generally meaning you can have contact with a potential SA on campus... there were exceptions during this period - for example, the late April evaluation weekend.)

Within the current dead period that goes through the end of this month there are, as you mentioned, three evaluation "weekends" (Weds 5pm - Sun 5pm).

The next three weekends are very important for kids trying to improve and/or maintain their stock.

You should have said

"Wow.... Wow.... they haven't even called?!? Wow.... Who would do that?"

JP say he will decide in August...A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Tough to turn down local kid with his rating and his velocity of improvement. JP looks like a 4 year kid and Pitino should pull the trigger and offer him.

JP say he will decide in August...A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Tough to turn down local kid with his rating and his velocity of improvement. JP looks like a 4 year kid and Pitino should pull the trigger and offer him.

I don't disagree with you and hope we sign JP, I just don't believe the timetables concur at this point in time. I would be very surprised if JP was our first or second signing.

Nothing would've happened in the last couple weeks because there was no evaluation/contact. The next open period I believe starts this Thursday. There are 3 eval periods in July (corresponding to the next 3 weekends IIRC). I'd view the next 3 weeks as being indicative whether Macura will get a Gopher offer. As many people have said, the lack of a Macura offer may have more to do with our staff's feeling on Whitehead, Newton, Vaughn, Baldwin, and/or Cohen than anything related to Macura's abilities.

As to the ISU comment, I can't speculate regarding the OP but I think ISU has annoyed some people on here with the heavy recruiting of transfers as well as the fact that Hoiberg seems to be going after a lot of Minnesota targets. Plus there might be some residual annoyance from the fact that Royce White contributed positively to their team and basically screwed ours.

I hold no ill will vs. Hoiberg for getting Royce or any other transfer. Have you followed Oregon the last few years? Plus there were over 400 transfers this year. He went into a mess at ISU and had to try to get relevant in a hurry. Makes sense he targets Minny players since he knows the area, people here, etc. having been with the T'wolves so long. Met him a few times while with the T'wolves. Great guy, imo. Btw, don't think he'll get Macura or any of the Minny targets anyway. But Pitino will.

D1 Minnesota ‏@D1Minnesota 7m
The University of Miami just offered D1MN 2014 guard JP Macura

D1 Minnesota ‏@D1Minnesota 7m
The University of Miami just offered D1MN 2014 guard JP Macura

In addition, NC State has just offered now as well. For Minnesota, if an offer doesn't come in the next 2 weeks, they are not going to offer. He has made it known he will commit right around the start of school.

Pitino watched JP play today. We should hear soon whether JP gets an offer or not.

Pitino watched JP play today. We should hear soon whether JP gets an offer or not.

This is not the only factor. I think Macura's offer (or non-offer decision) will have as much to do with other dominoes falling (whether public or not).

I do agree with the "bird in the hand" comment though. After years of watching Tubby fail at plans A and B, and having to end up going with plan C or D, at this point I'd take at least one "safe commit", ie top-100 or so, 4-yr player that wants to come here.

JP scored 21 vs Compton Magic. Unless Pitino gets an off guard verbal very soon he will likely offer JP. Would look real bad if he passes on JP and ends up with an out of state plan C kid. The U really does not have the pedigree to count on getting top 75 out of state recruits while passing a 100 in state kid with his offer list

JP scored 21 vs Compton Magic. Unless Pitino gets an off guard verbal very soon he will likely offer JP. Would look real bad if he passes on JP and ends up with an out of state plan C kid. The U really does not have the pedigree to count on getting top 75 out of state recruits while passing a 100 in state kid with his offer list

I don't know if they should offer JP or not, but I do like the message that is being sent here. The easier path is to offer the three or four best Minnesota kids to appease the masses. But the new coach seems to be aiming a little higher. Going down the rougher road potentially and (for better or worse) may end up with out of state plan C. May work or may not but this guy clearly isn't going to settle.

Again -- not a rant on JP as he might be a nice player. More a compliment to the coaching staff.

I don't think Pitino knows that.

I don't know if they should offer JP or not, but I do like the message that is being sent here. The easier path is to offer the three or four best Minnesota kids to appease the masses. But the new coach seems to be aiming a little higher. Going down the rougher road potentially and (for better or worse) may end up with out of state plan C. May work or may not but this guy clearly isn't going to settle.

Again -- not a rant on JP as he might be a nice player. More a compliment to the coaching staff.

Pitino has said multiple times he needs the right players in order to have success. He'll live and die in this job in recruiting first and foremost. He HAS to aim high in order to get this program out of the rut it has been in for a long time.

Pitino has said multiple times he needs the right players in order to have success. He'll live and die in this job in recruiting first and foremost. He HAS to aim high in order to get this program out of the rut it has been in for a long time.

+1

@collegebbnews: Head coaches from #Gophers, Iowa State, Xavier and Stanford were at D1 Minnesota's early game to watch J.P. Macura.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom