All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

Syracuse can have their cute little NCAA title led by Carmelo and their other NCAA tourney runs, but we'll always have the 1990 Sweet 16 victory over them and Richard Coffey and Bob Martin will have always shut down Billy Owens and Derrick Coleman!!

Go Gophers!!

Yep and that memory included Coleman losing his cool and hurling a ball at Martin in frustration if I remember correctly. :)

I love how ridiculous cuse fans are. They are calling the B1G conference a "farce." Must be a farce to have an historic presence in all collegiate sports, have better college campuses, better collegiate education systems, and be surrounded by the arts.

But yea, I've never had lutefisk, haven't smelled cow *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# since my last drive through Iowa (three years ago), and got a great job out of school. But, maybe upstate New York has a lack of cultural understanding...after all, one of the posters can't find Minnesota on a map. Our "hallowed halls of academia" at least taught me how to read a map, and not get my one-liners from billboards.

If Whitehead and Newton visit here, they'll sign. I'm with 247 on this one.

I love how ridiculous cuse fans are. They are calling the B1G conference a "farce." Must be a farce to have an historic presence in all collegiate sports, have better college campuses, better collegiate education systems, and be surrounded by the arts.

But yea, I've never had lutefisk, haven't smelled cow *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# since my last drive through Iowa (three years ago), and got a great job out of school. But, maybe upstate New York has a lack of cultural understanding...after all, one of the posters can't find Minnesota on a map. Our "hallowed halls of academia" at least taught me how to read a map, and not get my one-liners from billboards.

If Whitehead and Newton visit here, they'll sign. I'm with 247 on this one.

You shouldn't have to read or know where to look on a map to find Minnesota. It's more like telling the difference between a circle and a square.

Whats wrong with smelling cowsh!t? You like steak?

I don't like the smell of human sh!t in the alleys of New York either.... comes with the territory brother.

@isaiah_w15: Got Calls From UCLA Arizona & Miami Today ���#BLESSEDED

Go Gophers!!

You shouldn't have to read or know where to look on a map to find Minnesota. It's more like telling the difference between a circle and a square.

The Syracuse board is great...I remember how they were all about to go hang themselves after we beat them in football last year. I bet they can find our football team on a map now!

Syracuse isn't that bad. At least they aren't in the big city where all the idiots live. I like their teams usually.

Cuse fans: You done talking yet? We're still waiting...

Take a look at the Gopher fans rushing the court after our win over Indiana. No fans, you say??

I go to school with a bunch of Cuse fans out east and they're all complete idiots... Can't find Minnesota on a map? Oh, you must be a Cuse fan haha. Bunch of dumba**es.

This thread is getting annoying...

This thread is getting annoying...

Agreed... Back to Whitehead, if we decide to offer Macura and he commits, would that take us out of the running for Whitehead, which could then also take us out of the running for Newton? Or do we think it doesn't have too much of an effect?

Agreed... Back to Whitehead, if we decide to offer Macura and he commits, would that take us out of the running for Whitehead, which could then also take us out of the running for Newton? Or do we think it doesn't have too much of an effect?

I don't think Macura commiting here would have any effect on Whitehead. If he decides to come here, he'll get his minutes. The only thing a Macura commit would take us out of the running for would be a Whitehead/Newton/Vaughn/Travis class, but realistically, that's not going to happen anyways.

I don't think Macura commiting here would have any effect on Whitehead. If he decides to come here, he'll get his minutes. The only thing a Macura commit would take us out of the running for would be a Whitehead/Newton/Vaughn/Travis class, but realistically, that's not going to happen anyways.

Very true. As fun as that class would be, it seems a bit out of reach. Then again, if one big-time recruit commits, others could follow suit. The only reason i brought up Macura was because they both play SG, but I suppose Whitehead wouldn't have any problem getting his minutes. I'm sure Pitino will make the right call

Very true. As fun as that class would be, it seems a bit out of reach. Then again, if one big-time recruit commits, others could follow suit. The only reason i brought up Macura was because they both play SG, but I suppose Whitehead wouldn't have any problem getting his minutes. I'm sure Pitino will make the right call

Agree. Whitehead would start and play as much time as he could physically handle. He would only be taken out when he was tired, he's that good. So Macura committing would have absolutely zero affect on Whitehead & Newtons decision. Even if Vaughn committed to Minnesota I don't think it would hurt Whitehead & and Newtons chances of committing (it may even help). Some of you may disagree, but I just think Vaughn, Whitehead and Newton are all so good that'd they all start or at least play 26+ a game. I can't even Imagine how good we'd be if our recruiting class was Vaughn, Whitehead, Newton & Travis... Wait, actually I can, FINAL 4 - Road to Indianapolis begins as soon as those four commit!!!

Agree. Whitehead would start and play as much time as he could physically handle. He would only be taken out when he was tired, he's that good. So Macura committing would have absolutely zero affect on Whitehead & Newtons decision. Even if Vaughn committed to Minnesota I don't think it would hurt Whitehead & and Newtons chances of committing (it may even help). Some of you may disagree, but I just think Vaughn, Whitehead and Newton are all so good that'd they all start or at least play 26+ a game. I can't even Imagine how good we'd be if our recruiting class was Vaughn, Whitehead, Newton & Travis... Wait, actually I can, FINAL 4 - Road to Indianapolis begins as soon as those four commit!!!

If this did happen, which would be UNREAL, what would that mean for Dre (assuming he stays). I'm sure that there would be plenty of PT to go around, but would that effect any guards' decision, knowing we have a possible All-BIG performer at PG/SG?

If this did happen, which would be UNREAL, what would that mean for Dre (assuming he stays). I'm sure that there would be plenty of PT to go around, but would that effect any guards' decision, knowing we have a possible All-BIG performer at PG/SG?

I doubt it. If Rashad is a legit 6-6 like ESPN lists and Travis is really 6-8 then I think a small lineup of Dre, Newton, Whitehead, Vaughn, and Travis is very possible. It would be pretty undersized but can you imagine the scoring potential?

I've discussed this a little before on other threads. Personally, I feel as though you have to start the best players on your team - which means the Gophers would have to start Dre, Newton, White, Vaughn, and potentially Travis... Trust me, I understand how small that makes our lineup and I also understand that would be 4 freshman starting, but they would be the five best players!... If I were to kick one person out of that 4 guard lineup it would obviously be Newton, he would then be replaced by a big like Buggs.

Both good points. It would be undersized a bit, but with a fast-paced offense that Pitino wants to run, I could see that almost being better. Being smaller and quicker also might pull other teams out of whatever slow offense they want to run (Wisco). Of course this is all assuming we sign 4 players in the top 50... two from the top 25... But we can dream right?

Both good points. It would be undersized a bit, but with a fast-paced offense that Pitino wants to run, I could see that almost being better. Being smaller and quicker also might pull other teams out of whatever slow offense they want to run (Wisco). Of course this is all assuming we sign 4 players in the top 50... two from the top 25... But we can dream right?

Yeah you're right... I mean it cant be that hard to sign 4 top 50 players from one class can it?... When was the last time Minnesota signed 2? Royce & Rodney were both top 50 weren't they? So 2009?

I doubt it. If Rashad is a legit 6-6 like ESPN lists and Travis is really 6-8 then I think a small lineup of Dre, Newton, Whitehead, Vaughn, and Travis is very possible. It would be pretty undersized but can you imagine the scoring potential?

Channeling Flyin' Illini - vintage 1989.

Yeah you're right... I mean it cant be that hard to sign 4 top 50 players from one class can it?... When was the last time Minnesota signed 2? Royce & Rodney were both top 50 weren't they? So 2009?

Williams was Rivals' #100 prospect

fair enough. It's funny how much of a difference there can be. Rodney was significantly lower on ESPN and Royce was decently higher, being 19 on Rivals.

Agreed. Looking back on it now it looks like rivals was a bit more accurate.

Went back as far as 2002 on Rivals, which is where it let me go, and the Gophers have never had two top 50. Had Sampson (59) and Joseph (61) in 2008, but that was about as close as we got. So come on Pitino, just get Minnesota it's best recruiting class in a decade. Pressure is on.

Went back as far as 2002 on Rivals, which is where it let me go, and the Gophers have never had two top 50. Had Sampson (59) and Joseph (61) in 2008, but that was about as close as we got. So come on Pitino, just get Minnesota it's best recruiting class in a decade. Pressure is on.

Not only Minnesota's best recruiting class in a decade, its best recruiting class by a long shot. Pick two of the four out of, Vaughn, Whitehead, Newton & Travis... Do you go with the two 5 stars that may only stay a year, or two four stars that would stay longer, or a combination?

Not only Minnesota's best recruiting class in a decade, its best recruiting class by a long shot. Pick two of the four out of, Vaughn, Whitehead, Newton & Travis... Do you go with the two 5 stars that may only stay a year, or two four stars that would stay longer, or a combination?

Tough choice. After seeing Tubby's first class, which was very good, I would probably go with the two four stars. After his first class, the level of recruits started going down almost every year. There tends to be a better class right away for a coach because of the new beginning and excitement, and I'm worried that we would have a good first class but then start to dwindle a bit. If we had a couple GOOD 4 star players that would stick around, it would give recruits even more reason to come play here. I would take either scenario of course, but with a new coach, I think we want to look for a long-term stability of success rather than a one-year splash.

Top Bottom