All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

The only thing that kept me from sweeping the boards today was Dale Sveum-was certain he played for both Brewers and Cubs, turns out he was only the manager of the Cubs. Son of a …🤬
For the Brewers in general, I have found Ken Brett & Danny Darwin to be quite useful.

For the Brewers in general, I have found Ken Brett & Danny Darwin to be quite useful.
Of course, Darwin was a Ranger for many years 🤠 Shockingly Ken Brett never played for the franchise who seemingly every other MLB’er did in the ‘70s & ‘80s.

I'm still waiting for a Grid with a Toronto Blue Jays/Boston Celtics combo to have the opportunity to use Danny Ainge.

T-Wolves and Vikings alert in the grid today which aided me in becoming immaculate with n these two boards.

Editing this comment to mention how astounding I find it that there’s so little crossover of players between the Vikings and Bengals, seeing how they’ve both been in the league for 50+ years and there are 42 players who have played for both teams. The skill positions are eye-opening in their starkness; it’s downright bizarre.
The Vikings/Bengals the combo was from a few months ago, but I knew from the game this year that there was a recent TE that is now on the Bengals. Other picks:

- Last Vikes QB to win 2 playoff games/same season
- Iron Man

Afterwards looking that the answers for Minn-Cinn, there are only 10 guys that played at least 2 seasons for both teams. The vast majority had a cup of coffee with both teams really.

Of course, Darwin was a Ranger for many years 🤠 Shockingly Ken Brett never played for the franchise who seemingly every other MLB’er did in the ‘70s & ‘80s.
While I got all the Team-Team combos correct on the Baseball Grid, I missed what I thought was a total lay up on the Houston 6+ WAR season...J.R. Richard doesn't cut it.

Should have gone with the scuffer, Mike Scott. I assume his 1986 season qualified.

While I got all the Team-Team combos correct on the Baseball Grid, I missed what I thought was a total lay up on the Houston 6+ WAR season...J.R. Richard doesn't cut it.

Should have gone with the scuffer, Mike Scott. I assume his 1986 season qualified.
I was able to utilize one of my favorite non-Twins as a youth, from the Tequila Sunrise Astros edition, Jose Cruz. I always get skittish with WAR and pitchers, although I used Clemens for the Red Sox slot. And Scott would have gotten you there for '86, his only season of 6+ WAR.

And since I was looking at Scott, I decided to take a peek at Nolan Ryan--only 3 seasons above 6 WAR and the last was in 1977, so none with the Astros or Rangers.

I was able to utilize one of my favorite non-Twins as a youth, from the Tequila Sunrise Astros edition, Jose Cruz. I always get skittish with WAR and pitchers, although I used Clemens for the Red Sox slot. And Scott would have gotten you there for '86, his only season of 6+ WAR.

And since I was looking at Scott, I decided to take a peek at Nolan Ryan--only 3 seasons above 6 WAR and the last was in 1977, so none with the Astros or Rangers.
Good call on Cruz. He was a Strat-O-Matic stalwart for me.

I thought Richard's stretch from 1977-79, at least 1 of those seasons had to qualify. Two of those years he had 300+ Ks.

As it turns out, he didn't even make the All Star Team either of those years. He made it in 1980. Ultimately that was it for him, as his career was tragically cut short due to blood clots and a stroke.

Really sad post baseball life from looking at wiki.

That 1980 Houston team fell just short of the WS, losing a heartbreaker to the Phils in the NLCS.

Good call on Cruz. He was a Strat-O-Matic stalwart for me.

I thought Richard's stretch from 1977-79, at least 1 of those seasons had to qualify. Two of those years he had 300+ Ks.

As it turns out, he didn't even make the All Star Team either of those years. He made it in 1980. Ultimately that was it for him, as his career was tragically cut short due to blood clots and a stroke.

Really sad post baseball life from looking at wiki.

That 1980 Houston team fell just short of the WS, losing a heartbreaker to the Phils in the NLCS.
I think you've just unlocked a mystery for me, why I harbored such a dislike for the Phillies since I began following baseball, long before I knew about their fanbase. 1980 was year two of baseball fandom for me (with the We Are Family Pirates of '79 my initiation) and I was a big fan of the Tequila Sunrise Astros--like the Cardinals of the day, little power but lots of stolen bases, doubles and triples as my faint memory recalls. And Cruz with his Afro popping out from under his helmet/cap was the epitome of cool. And those uniforms!
1706175823365.png

I think you've just unlocked a mystery for me, why I harbored such a dislike for the Phillies since I began following baseball, long before I knew about their fanbase. 1980 was year two of baseball fandom for me (with the We Are Family Pirates of '79 my initiation) and I was a big fan of the Tequila Sunrise Astros--like the Cardinals of the day, little power but lots of stolen bases, doubles and triples as my faint memory recalls. And Cruz with his Afro popping out from under his helmet/cap was the epitome of cool. And those uniforms!
View attachment 29758
I could do without the numerals on the thigh look, but otherwise cool. Too softball like.

I could do without the numerals on the thigh look, but otherwise cool. Too softball like.
Agreed on the numbers on the pants. I’m just a fan of the jersey.

Btw, it was a good day on the grid for me, if only because I was able to use the immortal Mickey Klutts.

Agreed on the numbers on the pants. I’m just a fan of the jersey.

Btw, it was a good day on the grid for me, if only because I was able to use the immortal Mickey Klutts.
Wow Klutts, that's a throwback.

I used Billy McKinney 0.4% in that cube for a good rarity score. Rod Carew also scored 0.5% for the one he fits, but overall my score blew up on the other ROYs.

Twins on the grid today and I was able to slot 6 of the 9 spots with former Twins today. If I was a bit more patient, might have upped that number.

Twins on the grid today and I was able to slot 6 of the 9 spots with former Twins today. If I was a bit more patient, might have upped that number.
I was able to keep the Rarity score under 20.

- Pitched in the postseason for both in the '00s
- Late '70s corner IF, later interim Mgr for Mets
- Also a '70s Twins Mgr

Messed up one square because I always think Zoilo played all 9 positions. I keep thinking that and screwing up when the person I'm thinking of is actually Cesar Tovar.

- Also a '70s Twins Mgr
Nicely done-my rarity score was 30.
My Twins line was:
-catcher who succeeded (not very successfully) Brian Harper as starter
-headliner in Sweet Music trade
-early ‘80s SS whose first name is shared by the U.S. fourth largest city

Across the bottom was able to utilize two former Twins:
-competition for the aforementioned bottom left corner starter; rehired recently as a manager
-second player to play all 9 positions in a MLB game

Nicely done-my rarity score was 30.
My Twins line was:
-catcher who succeeded (not very successfully) Brian Harper as starter
-headliner in Sweet Music trade
-early ‘80s SS whose first name is shared by the U.S. fourth largest city

Across the bottom was able to utilize two former Twins:
-competition for the aforementioned bottom left corner starter; rehired recently as a manager
-second player to play all 9 positions in a MLB game
I can think of 2 '80s Twins SS that share names with large US Cities.

- Also a '70s Twins Mgr
I got a 30, the CF/SS was my only one above 10%

My Twins:

Bomba Squad (4%)
Lefty received for Frankie V (0.9%)
#12 mainly a CF (1%)

I got a 30, the CF/SS was my only one above 10%

My Twins:

Bomba Squad (4%)
Lefty received for Frankie V (0.9%)
#12 mainly a CF (1%)
Apparently the percentages change throughout the day as more folks take on the Grid. Mine has dropped to 18. Perhaps your effort can get into the 20s before all is said and done.

I need to read the fine print a little better because I guess Joel Zumaya’s tenure as a twin is not grid eligible. On the plus side I guess I’m one of the few who remembers Juan Castro’s forgettable tenure at SS. Good for a .1%

I need to read the fine print a little better because I guess Joel Zumaya’s tenure as a twin is not grid eligible. On the plus side I guess I’m one of the few who remembers Juan Castro’s forgettable tenure at SS. Good for a .1%
Denny Hocking was worth 0.1% in the SS/CF cube.

My Twins centric players were Kenny Rogers 0.7%, Mike Cabbage 0.4% & Frank Quilici 0.2%.

Those with Jack Morris, Dwight Gooden, Toby Harrah, Ty Cobb & Mookie Wilson kept my total in the teens.

For anyone wondering, the 3 players voted into Cooperstown earlier this week already work in the Hall of Fame category today.

Wolves alert on the basketball grid today
This should have been a 9 for 9 day for me on the hoops grid, but I wasted 1 pick on the Wolves 10+ Rebound category as well as guessed wrong on the Wolves/Hawks category on my first attempt.

Should have gone with the consolation prize in the Shaq Draft.

Today is sort of Gaylord Perry Day on the Baseball Grid as he played for all 4 franchises that are listed.

Additional hint, he did not ever drive in 100 runs nor ever swipe 30 bases.

North Stars alert on the Hockey Grid today. Very few options for Ottawa if you want to go old school, prior to the move to Texas, but I did think of one (only from playing the Grid previously).

- Netminder in 2nd run to Stanley Cup Finals.
- Netminder in 1st run to Stanley Cup Finals.
- All Time US Born leader in Points.

Today is sort of Gaylord Perry Day on the Baseball Grid as he played for all 4 franchises that are listed.

Additional hint, he did not ever drive in 100 runs nor ever swipe 30 bases.
I noticed the same with Perry and was able to tiptoe around using today.

My heart was content when I was able to use the catcher with the record for stolen bases in a season (as immortalized on an ‘83 Topps special card) for one of the 30+ slots.

I noticed the same with Perry and was able to tiptoe around using today.

My heart was content when I was able to use the catcher with the record for stolen bases in a season (as immortalized on an ‘83 Topps special card) for one of the 30+ slots.
Good call on your Royals Catcher. I thought of him, but ultimately was unsure he reached the 30 mark for SBs. I went with what think is no doubt the Royals 2nd best position player of all time. CF from the Herzog era.

As for Royals/Rangers, I went with the other Catcher from their '85 WS Team.

I'm ashamed that I got all three guys who played in the Negro League today. Basically because those are the only three names I was familiar with. Need to certainly brush up on the history there.

I'm ashamed that I got all three guys who played in the Negro League today. Basically because those are the only three names I was familiar with. Need to certainly brush up on the history there.
I was able to go a little deeper than 3, but not much, probably in the 10-12 range and only 2 Catchers (one the famous power hitter, the other a Brooklyn Dodger).

Top Bottom