All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

One of the things I love about the Immaculate Grid is how it brings me down rabbit holes that I otherwise would not have discovered. To whit, when the Cardinals appeared on the board the other day, I was struggling to put together who was on the mid/late '70s squads, so I did a bit of digging. Reminded that Terry Kennedy started his career in St. Louis, I wondered how he made it over to San Diego, and then I found out that Rollie Fingers was in the trade that brought the mustachioed fireman to St. Louis.

But hold on-I don't recall Fingers with the Cards? Turns out, he was flipped four days later to the Brewers, after Whitey Herzog acquired Bruce Sutter from the Cubs and didn't feel the need to have both Fingers and Sutter in the bullpen. How did that trade go down? Well, Fingers, Ted Simmons, and Pete Vuckovich where shuttled to Milwaukee with Sixto Lezcano, David Green, Dave LaPoint, and Lary Sorenson shipped to St. Louis. Two future Hall of Famers, consecutive Cy Young Award winners (Fingers in '81, Vuckovich in '82) and an MVP year from Fingers in '81 for four journeymen--an all time fleecing, right? Just imagine if the Cards hadn't made that trade, why they might have. . .

Won the World Series in '82 over the Brewers. After a year in St. Louis, Lezcano was part of the trade that brought Ozzie Smith to the Cardinals, while Sorenson was jettisoned in a three team deal that brought Lonnie Smith into the fold for the Cardinals. The Cardinals ended up defeating the Brewers in 7 games with Fingers missing the WS due to an arm injury, which also kept him out the entirety of '83. While Simmons had a string of solid years for the Brewers, Vuckovich went down with an arm injury early in '83 which knocked him out the entirety of '84 and he was never the same. Fingers had one solid season left in him ('84) but '85 was a washout and he retired afterwards.

In the meantime, Ozzie Smith went on to become synonymous with the St. Louis Cardinals, their most popular player since Stan Musial and Lonnie Smith was one of the speedy catalysts for Whitey Herzog's squads until he went down the interstate to help the Royals defeat the Cardinals in the '85 World Series. And yet, "Skates" will be most remembered (at least in MN households) for being deked in the '91, Game 7 series by Chuck Knoblauch and Greg Gagne.

AND THAT...is a mofo'ing great rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Twins alert today:
-‘70s third sacker
-toss-in with Jeff Reardon trade
-Cy Young winner

I’m sitting at 10%, hoping as the day goes along I can get to the elusive single digits.

For the Twins I went super rare:

- Obscure back-up Catcher for the Twins (behind Wynegar) in the 70s. (0.1%)
- Southpaw Pitcher better known as Pirate in their rotation on their last WS Championship, then was a journeyman reliever/spot starter who had a brief stop in Minnesota ('90). (0.3%)
- Went with a Senator who is in Cooperstown. Also former AL President. (0.3%)

Twins alert today:
-‘70s third sacker
-Cy Young winner

I’m sitting at 10%, hoping as the day goes along I can get to the elusive single digits.

Good work on the overall rarity. I plugged in Harold Baines who was 12%, so after that kind of punted. 40% total. Meh.

Twins alert today:
-‘70s third sacker
-Cy Young winner

Did it drop to single digits?

Today for Padres & Pirates 3B the 2 names that jumped right away in my head were Phil Garner & Kurt Bevacqua each 1% respectively. It took several seconds to even think of others. My mind is definitely stuck in my Topps '80s collection.

Did it drop to single digits?

Today for Padres & Pirates 3B the 2 names that jumped right away in my head were Phil Garner & Kurt Bevacqua each 1% respectively. It took several seconds to even think of others. My mind is definitely stuck in my Topps '80s collection.
Thanks for reminding me, I just checked and it snuck into the single digits at 9% when it was all said and done. I also was leaning Harold Baines for the ChiSox/Orioles square, but then Jesse Jefferson's baseball card flashed in my head and this obscure pitcher with the wonderfully alliterative name (and a .007%) fueled me towards glory, along with a couple of Tony's (Phillips and Bernazard) and the trio of obscure Twins. I was able to even sneak in 3 HOF's (Home Run Baker, Reggie Jackson (for the O's), and Timmy Raines and still land below 10%, a pretty proud day.

For today's board, I couldn't force Graig Nettles from my brain, even with Bevacqua sitting there! (He's a minor hero in my mind, as I'll relate in the next sentence). As for the Pirates, I went with another mustachioed middle infielder in Dale Berra who garnered 1%.

Back to Bevacqua--not only does he have one of the all time awesome baseball cards, but he also elicited an all-time meltdown from Tommy Lasorda--the way Lasorda spits Bevacqua out of his mouth gets he every time (the video is NSFW or around small children)
1709742615934.png

Thanks for reminding me, I just checked and it snuck into the single digits at 9% when it was all said and done. I also was leaning Harold Baines for the ChiSox/Orioles square, but then Jesse Jefferson's baseball card flashed in my head and this obscure pitcher with the wonderfully alliterative name (and a .007%) fueled me towards glory, along with a couple of Tony's (Phillips and Bernazard) and the trio of obscure Twins. I was able to even sneak in 3 HOF's (Home Run Baker, Reggie Jackson (for the O's), and Timmy Raines and still land below 10%, a pretty proud day.

For today's board, I couldn't force Graig Nettles from my brain, even with Bevacqua sitting there! (He's a minor hero in my mind, as I'll relate in the next sentence). As for the Pirates, I went with another mustachioed middle infielder in Dale Berra who garnered 1%.

Back to Bevacqua--not only does he have one of the all time awesome baseball cards, but he also elicited an all-time meltdown from Tommy Lasorda--the way Lasorda spits Bevacqua out of his mouth gets he every time (the video is NSFW or around small children)

Nice on the O's. I like to try to work in a St Louis Brown when I can, so I used George Sisler in the 40WAR (3%).

I had the Lasorda/Bevacqua meltdown replaying in my head when I used him on the grid.

I was at a Dodger game in 2011, they were completely out of the race for a Sunday home finale and I bought a ticket 5 rows behind the plate on the cheap from some guys using their companies tix and looking for a little beer money. In the super VIP section, 1 row ahead of me Lasorda was sitting next to Harrison Ford & Calista Flockhart (and her kid). Must have been doing research ahead of the move "42".

They were less than 15 feet away from me. I had no thoughts about hitting up Indiana Jones/Han Solo/the racer from American Graffiti. But I did so want to bring up Kurt Bevacqua.

Too much security though.

Thanks for reminding me, I just checked and it snuck into the single digits at 9% when it was all said and done.

Single Digit Rarity Scores are there for the taking today. I got a legit 3%.

Full Disclosure, the 1st Round Draft pick scores were the result of research done after previous times that category was on the Grid. I knew Kirby qualified for one of the Cubes.

There is also a a former Gopher Catcher that can be used. That one I did know before any of this.

Single Digit Rarity Scores are there for the taking today. I got a legit 3%.

Full Disclosure, the 1st Round Draft pick scores were the result of research done after previous times that category was on the Grid. I knew Kirby qualified for one of the Cubes.

There is also a a former Gopher Catcher that can be used. That one I did know before any of this.
Nice work on the 3%! Personally, I hate the #1 draft picks for baseball; love it when it pops up for basketball and football, but I can only recall the tried and true (Griffey Jr., for example) in most cases. I got a clean board today, but just shy of 100% on the rarity side.

The big surprise for me today? I slotted Heathcliff Slocumb for the BoSox/Seattle square; after ruminating for some time, I recalled that he was the pitcher that went to the Mariners for minor leaguers Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek and I thought I was going to be in that 1% category--after all, who remembers Slocumb? Evidently, 8% of the board did.

Nice work on the 3%! Personally, I hate the #1 draft picks for baseball; love it when it pops up for basketball and football, but I can only recall the tried and true (Griffey Jr., for example) in most cases. I got a clean board today, but just shy of 100% on the rarity side.

The big surprise for me today? I slotted Heathcliff Slocumb for the BoSox/Seattle square; after ruminating for some time, I recalled that he was the pitcher that went to the Mariners for minor leaguers Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek and I thought I was going to be in that 1% category--after all, who remembers Slocumb? Evidently, 8% of the board did.
Using Puckett as the #1 pick with at least a game at SS was the big hack. .05%

Other #1s were former Gopher Mariners Dan Wilson (actually by the Reds) and Royals Gregg Olson (actually by the Os). The latter is not to be confused with former Gopher Greg Olson.

Yankee line - Goose Gossage, Ken Phelps & Roy Smalley.

Red Sox line - Frankie Rodriguez, Doug Mientkiewicz & Joe Cronin

Dougie baseball was the highest, which is shocking at a whopping 1%.

Twins Alert on the GRID!

- When he retired he was the modern day (starting in 1900) All Time Career Leader in being Hit By a Pitch. Since passed by Biggio. (2%)
- Better known as a champion SS (0.1%)
- Miracle Minnesota Native (1%)

Overall, I fell just shy of single digits at 10%, but I will keep checking a la CoolHand to perhaps back step into the feat.

Twins Alert on the GRID!

- When he retired he was the modern day (starting in 1900) All Time Career Leader in being Hit By a Pitch. Since passed by Biggio. (2%)
- Better known as a champion SS (0.1%)
- Miracle Minnesota Native (1%)

Overall, I fell just shy of single digits at 10%, but I will keep checking a la CoolHand to perhaps back step into the feat.
Thanks to Blyleven in the Cleveland/200 Ws dropping from 3% to 2%, my Rarity Score Total made to the sacred single digits of 9%. Circle Me could have been used for all 3 franchises today.

Top // A's - OF - 200Ws

TWINS
Don Baylor - 2%
Greg Gagne - 0.1%
Jerry Koosman - 1%

RANGERS
Dave Stewart - 2%
Gary Ward - 0.2%
Frank Tanana - 1%

GAURDS
Shoeless Joe Jackson - 0.5%
Ralph Kiner - 0.7%
Bert Blyleven - 2%

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks to Blyleven in the Cleveland/200 Ws dropping from 3% to 2%, my Rarity Score Total made to the sacred single digits of 9%. Circle Me could have been used for all 3 franchises today.

Top // A's - OF - 200Ws

TWINS
Don Baylor - 2%
Greg Gagne - 0.1%
Jerry Koosman - 1%

RANGERS
Dave Stewart - 2%
Gary Ward - 0.2%
Frank Tanana - 1%

GAURDS
Shoeless Joe Jackson - 0.5%
Ralph Kiner - 0.7%
Bert Blyleven - 2%

Patience is a virtue.
I blew a prime chance to have an immaculate grid with less than 10%--I got greedy with the Rangers 200 game winner, I was sure Doyle Alexander was a safe bet but he ended his career with 194 wins.

Here were my numbers:
Twins
Jim Holt .5%
Rick "Hollywood" Sofield .005%
Luis Tiant .8%

Rangers
Claudell Washington .9%
Rusty Greer 3%
Alexander wa-wa

Guardians
Dennis Eckersley 10% (after the Alexander miss, I was pouting at the loss of a stellar score, so I went with the first player that popped into my head)
Rick Manning 1%
Tommy John .3%

I just realized the poetic justice I placed with having Eckersley-Manning next to each other; and it should be noted that my Jim Holt memories are limited to two baseball cards I own from the '70s, one with the Twins, one with the Athletics. Sofield was an early favorite in my fandom though.

Last edited:

I blew a prime chance to have an immaculate grid with less than 10%--I got greedy with the Rangers 200 game winner, I was sure Doyle Alexander was a safe bet but he ended his career with 194 wins.

Here were my numbers:
Twins
Jim Holt .5%
Rick "Hollywood" Sofield .005%
Luis Tiant .8%

Rangers
Claudell Washington .9%
Rusty Greer 3%
Alexander wa-wa

Guardians
Dennis Eckersley 10% (after the Alexander miss, I was pouting at the loss of a stellar score, so I went with the first player that popped into my head)
Rick Manning 1%
Tommy John .3%

I just realized the poetic justice I placed with having Eckersley-Manning next to each other; and it should be noted that my Jim Holt memories are limited to two baseball cards I own from the '70s, one with the Twins, one with the Athletics. Sofield was an early favorite in my fandom though.
I got a 25 yesterday, which is really good for me.

I love the Sofield and Davidson picks respectively.

As for Eck, I am surprised he actually is at 10% for the Oak-Clev combo. Interestingly, like Alexander, he actually also just misses on the 200W category with 197.

What a 2nd act for Eck as a Closer.

Speaking of Eck, reminds me of a bar room bet I won with a couple of guys in my Rotisserie Baseball League circa 1993. One of them is a "Well Known Member" on the Hoops Board. For a beer, I gave them 5 guesses (each) that they could not come up with the Active Pitcher with the Most Complete Games. I knew it was a sure thing.

Even though he had not registered a CG since he was with the Cubs in 1986, Eck was the leader at that time with 100. Eventually he would get passed by Clemens.

Sidenote, I used him today in the Boston HoF Category. 2%.

I love the Sofield and Davidson picks respectively.

As for Eck, I am surprised he actually is at 10% for the Oak-Clev combo. Interestingly, like Alexander, he actually also just misses on the 200W category with 197.

What a 2nd act for Eck as a Closer.

Speaking of Eck, reminds me of a bar room bet I won with a couple of guys in my Rotisserie Baseball League circa 1993. One of them is a "Well Known Member" on the Hoops Board. For a beer, I gave them 5 guesses (each) that they could not come up with the Active Pitcher with the Most Complete Games. I knew it was a sure thing.

Even though he had not registered a CG since he was with the Cubs in 1986, Eck was the leader at that time with 100. Eventually he would get passed by Clemens.

Sidenote, I used him today in the Boston HoF Category. 2%.
I went old school with the BoSox HOF'er, using Bobby Doerr, who garnered me the same 2% as Eck. Go figure.

Tough to keep down the number too low today with Milwaukee and HOF'ers on the board--only 7 in their history, as it turns out. And 5 of the 7 were on the '82 World Series squad.

I went old school with the BoSox HOF'er, using Bobby Doerr, who garnered me the same 2% as Eck. Go figure.

Tough to keep down the number too low today with Milwaukee and HOF'ers on the board--only 7 in their history, as it turns out. And 5 of the 7 were on the '82 World Series squad.

For the Brewers, I went with the player more well known for the Milwaukee predecessor franchise, Aaron. 15%. Probably should have used Simmons, but I had already used him in the Cards combo.

Overall, 42% and that was using a guy who was also a former Dundas Duke at 0.05%. I have used him before, Dana Kiecker.

Anyone who has been hoping to use Ron Gardenhire on the Grid, today is your day!

Might be the only opportunity ever.
Another opportunity to use Gardy today. Al Newman also a good choice to go Rarity hunting.

Twins Alert on the Grid today. I opted to not go for Rarity.

- 2020 Cy Young candidate. 11%
- 2006 All Star Pitcher. 24%
- Piranha. 4%

Twins Alert on the Grid today. I opted to not go for Rarity.

- 2020 Cy Young candidate. 11%
- 2006 All Star Pitcher. 24%
- Piranha. 4%
I did go for rarity and I’m calling BS on the Grid for some of their scores today 🤣:
Ron Perranoski (2%)
Jackie Hernandez (.2%)
Steve Carlton (6%)

It wasn’t that long ago that I found out Hernandez played for the Twins and I have been holding that in my pocket for the Pirates/Twins to pop up. He was part of history with the Bucs as one of the starters in the first all black and Latino lineup in MLB.

I did go for rarity and I’m calling BS on the Grid for some of their scores today 🤣:
Ron Perranoski (2%)
Jackie Hernandez (.2%)
Steve Carlton (6%)

It wasn’t that long ago that I found out Hernandez played for the Twins and I have been holding that in my pocket for the Pirates/Twins to pop up. He was part of history with the Bucs as one of the starters in the first all black and Latino lineup in MLB.

Lefty at 6% seems suspect from both aspects that he's more well known as a Phillie than a Card, and was only with the Twins for a whopping 9 starts in the '87 stretch run. He's usually a stealth pick for the Giants, White Sox, Guards & Twins for Career & HoF categories.

I did see his one W for the Twins in person at the HHH Dome. I remember Reggie getting a really nice ovation when he PH in the game. I thought it may be his last appearance in Minneapolis, but he did play the next day too as a DH.

Actually I was surprised that my Nick Punto selection got 4%. Maybe there was a bug in the program yesterday for that Cards-Twins Cube.

Lefty at 6% seems suspect from both aspects that he's more well known as a Phillie than a Card, and was only with the Twins for a whopping 9 starts in the '87 stretch run. He's usually a stealth pick for the Giants, White Sox, Guards & Twins for Career & HoF categories.

I did see his one W for the Twins in person at the HHH Dome. I remember Reggie getting a really nice ovation when he PH in the game. I thought it may be his last appearance in Minneapolis, but he did play the next day too as a DH.

Actually I was surprised that my Nick Punto selection got 4%. Maybe there was a bug in the program yesterday for that Cards-Twins Cube.
I also thought Perranoski would be in the sub-1% grouping--lots of choices available: Maeda, Landreaux, Tapani, Coomer, Mike Marshall, Dave Goltz, Geoff Zahn pop to mind of more prominent/recent options and I know I'm missing some other fairly well known players.

I also thought Perranoski would be in the sub-1% grouping--lots of choices available: Maeda, Landreaux, Tapani, Coomer, Mike Marshall, Dave Goltz, Geoff Zahn pop to mind of more prominent/recent options and I know I'm missing some other fairly well known players.
Maeda was my 11% pick yesterday. I know I have used Coomer before for less than 1%.

Other well known ones are Gagne & Hatcher. Brusdar Gaterol I think have used, 10% or so.

Ken Brett is a good one when shooting for Rarity.

I was shooting for a perfect month of March, but was tripped up today by Angels-Marlins.

Looking at the 72 players that fit the category, I did not feel so bad. Slim Pickens.

Try again in April.

I was shooting for a perfect month of March, but was tripped up today by Angels-Marlins.

Looking at the 72 players that fit the category, I did not feel so bad. Slim Pickens.

Try again in April.
I don't know which team makes me feel more helpless when they come up on the grid, the Marlins, Rays, or Diamondbacks. Even if I do stumble into correct answers with these teams, they really &%$@ up my rarity score.

I had to check back on how I was doing in March-while not at the level of perfection, I was close and then I noticed one day that I hadn't finished my guesses--March 4 when the Marlins were also on the board. I'd like to make a decree that any team that wasn't in existence before I stopped actively collecting baseball cards (circa '88/89) cannot be on the board--or, they have super easy categories like "pitched one game" or "Hall of Fame".

I don't know which team makes me feel more helpless when they come up on the grid, the Marlins, Rays, or Diamondbacks. Even if I do stumble into correct answers with these teams, they really &%$@ up my rarity score.
For me the Rockies give me the most angst, today's misstep not withstanding.

- Outside my Topps wheelhouse

- NL West so rarely played the Twins, so I haven't seen them in person other 1 game at Dodger Stadium back in 1997

- Not much Post-season success. I hardly remember anything from their 1 WS trip

- Very little Twins crossover.

It's a pretty short list of Rockies that I can use (Moyer, Walker, Helton, C Hayes & Gallaraga) and most of them are from looking up stuff after previous failures.

- NL West so rarely played the Twins, so I haven't seen them in person other 1 game at Dodger Stadium back in 1997

It's a pretty short list of Rockies that I can use (Moyer, Walker, Helton, C Hayes & Gallaraga) and most of them are from looking up stuff after previous failures.
Speak of the devil regarding the Rockies today on the Grid.

Unfortunately the rules only allow Jamie Moyer to be used once.

Last edited:

Off topic here but I highly recommend any baseball fan catch a game at Coors Field. Beautiful stadium in a great location.

Off topic here but I highly recommend any baseball fan catch a game at Coors Field. Beautiful stadium in a great location.
I've never seen a game at Coors Field, but my uncle who was already a retiree took a side hustle as an usher when the Rockies came into existence. When I visited him we took a tour of the place including the clubhouses, I thought it was a wonderful stadium.

He's in his 90s now and still works a few days a week when they have a home stand.

I am encouraged that we are in the same gene pool.

Top Bottom