All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

3rd stint in Houston, but I had no memory of it.
Truth be told, I only knew because I saw him on the sidelines when they played Jax a couple weeks ago, so I memory banked it.

Odd one today on baseball mixing guys who hit 30 HRs with pitched in at least one game. There's two super obvious ones, but after that, you'll really have to have a good memory.

Truth be told, I only knew because I saw him on the sidelines when they played Jax a couple weeks ago, so I memory banked it.

Odd one today on baseball mixing guys who hit 30 HRs with pitched in at least one game. There's two super obvious ones, but after that, you'll really have to have a good memory.
I went with a guy who had a fly ball bounce off his noggin that went over the fence for a notorious HR. 11%.

I also think one of his pitching stints ultimately resulted him having to get Tommy John surgery.

I used Johnny Sain as well, so apologies for hurting your rarity effort.

One thing that really puzzles me is how they calculate the rarity score in literally the opening seconds when the Grid is available. During the week I am on my commute and let 'er rip right at 8AM.

There's also like already several thousands that have played it at like 8:02 AM (Central Time). Are there Bots involved? That also could be a reflection of those that are signed up for auto notification.

I would also think the percentages change throughout the day.

Interesting new categories today, including Must Have Played 1 Game at SS and Must Have Played 1 Game at C which line up in the bottom right Cube. I resorted to a player that I knew did the All 9 positions thing (not a Twin). Turns out there were 427 options.

For the Cub SS I used the name in a very famous poem from the early 1900s. 2%.
Tinker?

Today's board got me a rarity score of 12

It's damn hard when you have a few 2%'s pop up on you--I could understand Gaylord Perry and even Johnny Sain garnering a 2% in their respective categories, but Mike Davis for the Dodgers/A's? C'mon!
Twins Alert on the Grid today. I went all Catchers.

- All Star in his Rookie season
- Also managed
- '91 WS

As to your comment on rarity, in the Cards-Yanks Cube I plugged in Maris which I would have guessed had been semi-rare but was still 9%. For Dodgers-Marlins, I used Piazza who was in Miami for less than a week, but it was 20%.

Shaking my head...

Twins Alert on the Grid today. I went all Catchers.

- All Star in his Rookie season
- Also managed
- '91 WS

As to your comment on rarity, in the Cards-Yanks Cube I plugged in Maris which I would have guessed had been semi-rare but was still 9%. For Dodgers-Marlins, I used Piazza who was in Miami for less than a week, but it was 20%.

Shaking my head...
I also went 3 catchers. The obvious one over .300. One who I'm absolutely convinced that they traded for only because he hit a homer off Perkins to cap a comeback win for the Yankees, and the middle one I think we have the same.

Very frustrating mistake on the Grid today, as there is a Jim Hunter who is a completely different human than Jim "Catfish" Hunter. User Error.

I think I have made the same mistake previously, so really bad on my part. Fail.
Redemption today with Catfish Hunter. Also took a guess on Babe Ruth, which even though I got credit for, I don't think should count.

Still, I was not perfect. I could not come up with an Oakland Athletic/One Team. I should have just looked at the current roster and taken a guess. Instead I went with Connie Mack. Turns out his playing days were over by the time the A's were formed in Philadelphia in 1901.

Mack was the skipper during that inaugural season for the Junior Circuit. He lasted a half century through the 1950 campaign.

Redemption today with Catfish Hunter. Also took a guess on Babe Ruth, which even though I got credit for, I don't think should count.

Still, I was not perfect. I could not come up with an Oakland Athletic/One Team. I should have just looked at the current roster and taken a guess. Instead I went with Connie Mack. Turns out his playing days were over by the time the A's were formed in Philadelphia in 1901.

Mack was the skipper during that inaugural season for the Junior Circuit. He lasted a half century through the 1950 campaign.
Also today, I got to use Dundas Duke legend, Dana Kiecker, the pride of Fairfax.

Because I was burned by him before, I knew Mike Norris was an only with the Athletics player. I could have sworn I have a baseball card from the '70s with him on another team, but nope.

The pride of my day was using Larry Yount, Robin's older brother, for the one team slot with the Astros. He was quite a prospect for the 'Stros as a pitcher, but when called up he blew his arm out after one game and never played the game again. It was up to younger brother to carry the family's legacy. (read about in Joe Posnanski's The Baseball 100)

Because I was burned by him before, I knew Mike Norris was an only with the Athletics player. I could have sworn I have a baseball card from the '70s with him on another team, but nope.

The pride of my day was using Larry Yount, Robin's older brother, for the one team slot with the Astros. He was quite a prospect for the 'Stros as a pitcher, but when called up he blew his arm out after one game and never played the game again. It was up to younger brother to carry the family's legacy. (read about in Joe Posnanski's The Baseball 100)
I totally forgot about Mike Norris and his green glove.

Interesting Grid today. From my entries I wouldn't have guessed Denard Span 4%, Gorman Thomas 3% & Ben Oglivie 3%, would have been the ones to halt my march to single digits (total).

Others I used were Dusty Baker, Brett Butler, Babe Ruth, Ben Revere, Gary Carter & Paul Monitor.

Final tally still a solid 15%.

Last edited:

Interesting Grid today. From my entries I wouldn't have guessed Denard Span 4%, Gorman Thomas 3% & Ben Oglive 3%, would have been the ones to halt my march to single digits (total).

Others I used were Dusty Baker, Brett Butler, Babe Ruth, Ben Revere, Gary Carter & Paul Monitor.

Final tally still a solid 15%.
Nice work by you today--I came in with 45%, so quite a bit off the rarity marks.

I shared Oglivie with you, and then Geoff Jenkins and Mike Cameron to finish the Brew Crew; Raines, Dawson, and Ellis Valentine for the 'Pos; and for the Braves, Ron Gant, Otis Nixon, and Hank Aaron. I was quite surprised that Nixon tied with Aaron for the largest percentage (8%) on the grid-go figure that.

Nice work by you today--I came in with 45%, so quite a bit off the rarity marks.

I shared Oglivie with you, and then Geoff Jenkins and Mike Cameron to finish the Brew Crew; Raines, Dawson, and Ellis Valentine for the 'Pos; and for the Braves, Ron Gant, Otis Nixon, and Hank Aaron. I was quite surprised that Nixon tied with Aaron for the largest percentage (8%) on the grid-go figure that.
In an ultimate nerd Grid move, I was tempted to plug Hank Aaron in for the Brewers. I didn't pull the trigger, but turns out while mostly a DH in his return to Milwaukee he did make 4 appearances in LF.

His brother, Tommie Aaron, I am guessing also scores low for Braves/LF, but I had no idea what position he played.

Twins Alert on the Grid today.

O's - SS part of a really bad trade in the '10s.
Guards - C's name is a palindrome.
Whities - Senator with literally 300 Ws. Was later a Twins Pitching Coach.

The Baltimore answer (6%) I should have given more thought to with regards to going for an overall Single Digit Rarity Score.

Wild & Woofies are also up today.

O's - SS part of a really bad trade in the '10s.
Guards - C's name is a palindrome.
Whities - Senator with literally 300 Ws. Was later a Twins Pitching Coach.

The Baltimore answer (6%) I should have given more thought to with regards to going for an overall Single Digit Rarity Score.

Wild & Woofies are also up today.
My favorite Twins/Sox pick is Fred Manrique: .08%

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid:

- Just went on IL
- Father of Gopher great
- Nerf football inventor

I finally got to use Gopher great Dan Wilson on the Baseball Grid today. 1%.

- Rat
- Slop baller recent reliever
- 60s All Star

Unfortunately the Rockies were also on the Grid. I had no chance to match up with the A's.

- Rat
- Slop baller recent reliever
- 60s All Star

Unfortunately the Rockies were also on the Grid. I had no chance to match up with the A's.
Vikings on the grid too.
I got 8/9 with Jays/Cubs tripping me up. I'm sure there's an obvious one or two I missed.

For A's/Rockies I went with a juiced up slugger who signed with the Yankees after making a name for himself in Oakland and had an uneventful cup of coffee in Denver.

The guy that hit the game winning HR in the '93 World Series fits.
D'oh! Like I said, an obvious answer had to be waiting lol.

Wasted the good rarity score I got on Bobby Kielty and Tom Prince.

No Twins connection today, but a lot of fun with six long time franchises where my baseball card connection from the ‘70s/80’s came alive-a veritable “remember some guys” that included: Doyle Alexander, Harold Baines, Doug Drabek, Rusty Staub, Jerry Koosman, Lee Mazzili, Gaylord Perry, Bill Madlock and to finish it off, villainous AJ Pierzynski

No Twins connection today, but a lot of fun with six long time franchises where my baseball card connection from the ‘70s/80’s came alive-a veritable “remember some guys” that included: Doyle Alexander, Harold Baines, Doug Drabek, Rusty Staub, Jerry Koosman, Lee Mazzili, Gaylord Perry, Bill Madlock and to finish it off, villainous AJ Pierzynski
Kindred spirits, a very similar board for me including identical on the Mets line.

Harold Baines - Steve Stone - Bobby Bonilla
Rusty Staub - Jerry Koosman - Lee Mazzilli
Bobby Bonds - AJ Pierzynski - Waite Hoyt

Bonilla & AJ hurt my rarity score, 40 total. A little surprised that Stone was 4%.

After the recent passing of Billy Gardner and taking a look at his MLB playing career, it did not take long for the opportunity to use Slick in the Grid.

Tribute paid today.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid today.

- All Day
- 80s Center
- Former #1 overall

It's a MN sports bonanza today-Twins, TWolves, Vikings are all on the board; pretty easy categories in baseball today, although the right fielders of the Arizona Diamondbacks conspired against me from earning an immaculate grid (seriously, Luis Gonzalez didn't play a single game in right field???)

I'll reveal my answers tomorrow-I'm not as good at being cryptic as Ope on our sports alums.

It's a MN sports bonanza today-Twins, TWolves, Vikings are all on the board; pretty easy categories in baseball today, although the right fielders of the Arizona Diamondbacks conspired against me from earning an immaculate grid (seriously, Luis Gonzalez didn't play a single game in right field???)

I'll reveal my answers tomorrow-I'm not as good at being cryptic as Ope on our sports alums.
I had a similar fail on the Diamondbacks RF. I also used a prominent member of their WS Champs, Steve Finley. No go. It snapped a decent perfection streak I had going.

Twins -

- Despite having well over 1000 ABs in the late 70s, known for just 1 HR.

- Member of the Twins HoF player pressed in RF duty because someone missed their flight from Rochester.

- Nepo Twins C.

Vikings -

- Streak actually started there.
- Saban regret.
- Played in DC between 2 stints with the Purple.

Top Bottom