All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

I was able to go a little deeper than 3, but not much, probably in the 10-12 range and only 2 Catchers (one the famous power hitter, the other a Brooklyn Dodger).
Same same. I thought I'd be safe with Cool Papa Bell at shortstop, but no such luck.

On a brighter note, I was able to place former Richfield HS and Golden Gopher Mike Sadek on the Grid today.
1706851248454.png

Twins alert on the grid today. I failed to get a sub-1%er unfortunately

SS who was acquired mid-season in the late 2000's
Sinker Ball pitcher from the mid-2000's
recent relief pitcher who was solid here but really became elite after the move to Houston

Twins alert on the grid today. I failed to get a sub-1%er unfortunately

SS who was acquired mid-season in the late 2000's
Sinker Ball pitcher from the mid-2000's
recent relief pitcher who was solid here but really became elite after the move to Houston

I think our Mariner is the same.

- 2000 Olympic Gold Medal
- Fewest pitches (74) in a CG since 1957
- '87 Champ (careful on the name, has a son also a MLBer)

Total was 10% on Twins rarity.

Last edited:

Total was 10% on rarity.
I went with the guy who ended up being a key piece coming this way in the Viola trade.
Mariner I chose was the Twins "big" addition in 2006 (not really)
Astro I chose one of the junk catchers they signed from Houston (left-handed bat)

7% rarity

Total was 10% on rarity.
I landed at 16% rarity today, but was able to get under 1% on my Twins squares:
* the prize of the Rick Aguilera trade who never developed as hoped
* third-sacker who netted a minor leaguer who developed into a HOF’er, but not because of his play with the Twins
* back end of rotation starter whose best days were definitely with the ‘Stros in the late ‘80s, by the time he got to the Twins he was pretty well cooked. One of Chris Berman’s most noted nicknames.

I landed at 16% rarity today, but was able to get under 1% on my Twins squares:
* the prize of the Rick Aguilera trade who never developed as hoped
* third-sacker who netted a minor leaguer who developed into a HOF’er, but not because of his play with the Twins
* back end of rotation starter whose best days were definitely with the ‘Stros in the late ‘80s, by the time he got to the Twins he was pretty well cooked. One of Chris Berman’s most noted nicknames.
To clarify, my 10% Rarity was for the Twins only. Overall, I was a pretty pedestrian 68. The 2000 Ks, I did not go super rare and my Met/Mariner was the most common answer.

Great call on the Twins-Astros combo. Totally forgot he was a Twin.

Total was 10% on Twins rarity.
Sure is! That 74 pitch CG doesn't get talked about enough for how insane of a feat that is. I'll be shocked if that ever happens again.*

*in a 9 inning game

After Jim Deshaies pitched for the Twins, I'd always change the lyrics to Pearl Jam's Daughter from "The shades go down" to "Deshaies goes in, the Twins will win". Didn't work.

Vikings Alert on the Grid. I went all QBs

- 40 for 60
- Infamous afternoon at Soldier Field. I legit feared for his well being.
- 2023 Starter. I know that doesn't narrow it down much.

In a rather personal note, today I was able to use someone on the Grid that I got a flair single to right field in 9th Grade baseball against Apple Valley. When we played them a few weeks later, the hard throwing lefty was already moved up to Varsity.

2 years later (in HS) our team was down 10-0 in the top of the 5th. We got our first base runner with 1 out on a misplayed throw to 1st base. I promptly hit a hard one hopper to 2nd and they turned an easy double play to finish of the shortened No Hitter, facing only 15 batters.

Legion ball, I don't recall anything other than whiffing.

The kid wound up having a stellar career at Creighton before making it to the Show, briefly.

Dan Smith.

In a rather personal note, today I was able to use someone on the Grid that I got a flair single to right field in 9th Grade baseball against Apple Valley. When we played them a few weeks later, the hard throwing lefty was already moved up to Varsity.

2 years later (in HS) our team was down 10-0 in the top of the 5th. We got our first base runner with 1 out on a misplayed throw to 1st base. I promptly hit a hard one hopper to 2nd and they turned an easy double play to finish of the shortened No Hitter, facing only 15 batters.

Legion ball, I don't recall anything other than whiffing.

The kid wound up having a stellar career at Creighton before making it to the Show, briefly.

Dan Smith.
I bet you had a hell of a rarity score with that one ;)

I bet you had a hell of a rarity score with that one ;)
0.05% for the former All Missota Conference selection.

In the same category though, all I could think of were HoFers, so my overall Rarity was still well above above 50.

Maybe this was obvious to others, but one thing I learned from today's grid is that Mike Sweeney never had a 30 HR season in KC. Upon review he had back to back 29 HR seasons in 2000 and 2001.

Sweeney was one of those quiet guys who I always feared when I saw him at the plate against the Twins. Always felt bad for him being stuck on those terrible teams.

Maybe this was obvious to others, but one thing I learned from today's grid is that Mike Sweeney never had a 30 HR season in KC. Upon review he had back to back 29 HR seasons in 2000 and 2001.

Sweeney was one of those quiet guys who I always feared when I saw him at the plate against the Twins. Always felt bad for him being stuck on those terrible teams.
I was ok on the KC power hitter. Bye Bye Balboni.

I missed on the Marlins 6+ WAR.

I was ok on the KC power hitter. Bye Bye Balboni.

I missed on the Marlins 6+ WAR.
Bye Bye was also my guy and Hanley filled that 6+ square but for the life of me, could not come up with a Reds-Marlins connection. Those FLA baseball teams (w/Arizona too) are my kryptonite.

Bye Bye was also my guy and Hanley filled that 6+ square but for the life of me, could not come up with a Reds-Marlins connection. Those FLA baseball teams (w/Arizona too) are my kryptonite.
For the Marlins to match them with another team I can usually pair up somebody from either of their '97 or '03 WS Teams. When in doubt, have to just guess Jeff Conine or Livan Hernandez.

I went with Conine today. It worked.

Tough learning moment for me that cost me a perfect grid - be careful with names that have multiple players. Javier Lopez did not hit 10 home runs for the Baltimore Orioles. Javy Lopez on the other hand did.

Today was a good day to go hunting for Rarity points. My board today:

Bob Walk
Ken Brett
Lee Mazzilli
Dave Hollins
Buck Martinez
Hosken Powell
Willie Hernandez
Ed Farmer
Dan Gladden

Good for a Total Score of 6. I admit I caught a lucky break.

The Dave Hollins selection in the Phils-Jays cube it was actually Dave "Collins" who I thought fit, but I confused him with Hollins. While Collins played in Toronto and several franchises, he never had a stay in with Philadelphia.

Hollins though scored 0.5%. I realized my miscue when his picture popped up.

I was able to score a sweep yesterday, immaculate grids across MLB, NBA, and NFL. Nothing to write home about with rarity points, but a couple ex-Twins came through for me on the Rockies portion of the grid (Cuddy and Denny Hocking) and with the Vikings appearing on the NFL grid, my three selections did add up to sub-1% (Bob Grim, Dave Casper, and Marcus Robinson).

Btw Ope, funny you should mention Dave Collins/Hollins--in a prior grid, I was burned by thinking Collins played for the Phillies--I didn't connect it at the time (as I was certain Collins was a Phillie at some point), but I must have jumbled those two in my mind, easy enough to do, I guess.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid:

- Not to be confused with contemporary SF Giant Mgr (same name) / 6%
- Late Rd Draft Pick from Clemson / 1%
- 3 of 3 Deep / 2%

Rare lay up for me on the rest of the board to go 9 for 9.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid:

- Not to be confused with contemporary SF Giant Mgr (same name) / 6%
- Late Rd Draft Pick from Clemson / 1%
- 3 of 3 Deep / 2%

Rare lay up for me on the rest of the board to go 9 for 9.
I almost went with Roger Craig too, but saved him for the Raiders/Niners square.
My board went:
* Sonny's younger brother (not really)-2%
* early '80s RB who shot himself in the foot cleaning his gun as I recall .4%
* my first favorite Viking, #85, who Jack Tatum hit so hard in the Super Bowl he made him cry for his mama (supposedly) .8%

Twins alert today, some easy pickings:
* lots to choose from, went with the pitcher in the Ben Revere deal who turned out to be a flameout for the Twins (2%)
* had a long, storied career through the '70s, just not with the Twins, who cut bait on him after he blew out his arm--if you pay attention to my grumblings, I cite this frequently on the list of Twins' mistakes (1%)
*the original ace for the Twins when they moved to MN (2%)

I almost went with Roger Craig too, but saved him for the Raiders/Niners square.
My board went:
* Sonny's younger brother (not really)-2%
* early '80s RB who shot himself in the foot cleaning his gun as I recall .4%
* my first favorite Viking, #85, who Jack Tatum hit so hard in the Super Bowl he made him cry for his mama (supposedly) .8%
For a second I thought you meant Sonny Jurgensen, not Mr Cher.

On #2 I think think the shrapnel wound up in Brown's thigh. Jerry Burns would then joke in conditioning drills, "Get the lead out Teddy!'

Twins alert today, some easy pickings:
* lots to choose from, went with the pitcher in the Ben Revere deal who turned out to be a flameout for the Twins (2%)
* had a long, storied career through the '70s, just not with the Twins, who cut bait on him after he blew out his arm--if you pay attention to my grumblings, I cite this frequently on the list of Twins' mistakes (1%)
*the original ace for the Twins when they moved to MN (2%)
- Junior missed a clutch FT for the Badgers against the Gophers.

- HoFer but had 1 win in his stint with the Twins (1987)

- Accomplished the feat last year.

Speaking of Revere, I didn't realize until after the fact he finished up what would be a sort of journeyman career in Anaheim.

Vikings alert on the Grid.

- Best $100 the Vikes ever spent / 11%
- Brady backup / 11%
- Should have kept his bucket on / 2%

Vikings alert on the Grid.

- Best $100 the Vikes ever spent / 11%
- Brady backup / 11%
- Should have kept his bucket on / 2%
-former pro bowl NT acquired in early ‘80s (.04%)
-soon to be HOF’er? (40%)
-same as yours Ope

Twins alert on the Grid:

- Former Gopher Catcher (careful on the spelling) / 0.9%
- Never hit a regular season HR with the Twins / 0.9%
- Stole him from the Padres / 0.4%

Twins alert on the Grid:

- Former Gopher Catcher (careful on the spelling) / 0.9%
- Never hit a regular season HR with the Twins / 0.9%
- Stole him from the Padres / 0.4%
-Mr. Emory Board (4%)
-same as you
-sliding catch in the '65 WS (.5%)

Rookie mistake today by me. I just instinctively plugged in Scherzer in the D-Backs 2000 K square, and then realized that's the only guy I could think of that would also fill the Rangers combo.

Have to read all the categories first to succeed in this battle.

Top Bottom