All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Perhaps this will just be Ope3 and I trading cryptic messages back and forth about our particular triumphs or moments of despair, but my wife will have me committed if I exclaim too often such facts that Atlee Hammaker was an All-Star for the Giants and that garnered a 0.1% score for me on the grid.

Besides humblebragging or outright bragging, there's been a fair number of interesting factoids that I've learned that have been a surprise for me. For instance, the other day I got burnt on the category of Atlanta Braves pitchers who've had over 3000 strikeouts in their career--going for a lower number, I was certain that Warren Spahn had collected that many--turns out I was wrong, he accumulated just shy of 2600 strikeouts over 5200 innings in his career-and he lead the league four times in strikeouts! Goes to show that strikeouts aren't what they used to be.

After today's grid is in the books, I'll come back with a couple of eye-openers for me in regards to a couple of legendary Twins pitchers.

Great thread idea, I love immaculate grid!.
Also, they have hockey and soccer as well.

Perhaps this will just be Ope3 and I trading cryptic messages back and forth about our particular triumphs or moments of despair, but my wife will have me committed if I exclaim too often such facts that Atlee Hammaker was an All-Star for the Giants and that garnered a 0.1% score for me on the grid.

Besides humblebragging or outright bragging, there's been a fair number of interesting factoids that I've learned that have been a surprise for me. For instance, the other day I got burnt on the category of Atlanta Braves pitchers who've had over 3000 strikeouts in their career--going for a lower number, I was certain that Warren Spahn had collected that many--turns out I was wrong, he accumulated just shy of 2600 strikeouts over 5200 innings in his career-and he lead the league four times in strikeouts! Goes to show that strikeouts aren't what they used to be.

After today's grid is in the books, I'll come back with a couple of eye-openers for me in regards to a couple of legendary Twins pitchers.
I used Atlee as well a few days ago! We had had to be the only ones, even Giants fans have largely forgotten him, I would think. Strat-O-Matic stalwart for me back in the day.

As for the 3000 Ks, my biggest burn was Cy Young not being in the club. Threw for 22 seasons, over 800 decisions & starts with 7,356 Innings Pitched but only finished with 2,803 Strikeouts.

Also, while Cy was no Babe Ruth at the plate he did accumulate 623 base hits and 18 HRs.

For "Pro Football" does the AFL also count?

How are the Browns > Ravens dealt with? 2 different franchises or is it like the Washington Senators 1901 -1960/Minnesota Twins 1961 - current combo?

For Pro Football it would be quite a challenge if they mixed in the old USFL.

For "Pro Football" does the AFL also count?

How are the Browns > Ravens dealt with? 2 different franchises or is it like the Washington Senators 1901 -1960/Minnesota Twins 1961 - current combo?

For Pro Football it would be quite a challenge if they mixed in the old USFL.
i misunderstand the rules sometimes. If the accomplishment happened playing for another team seems like it works sometimes, others not so much

I too have not been able to figure this out.
I think if it's a career achievement (HOF, 3,000 hits, etc.) then any team they played for counts. If it's a single season accomplishment (Gold Glove, All-Star, 40+ HRs, etc.) then it is limited to the team played for that season. So, for example, Wade Boggs is a Yankee and a Ray as a member of the 3,000 hit club, but not as a batting champ. Can't say for sure, but that's the way it seems to me.

I think if it's a career achievement (HOF, 3,000 hits, etc.) then any team they played for counts. If it's a single season accomplishment (Gold Glove, All-Star, 40+ HRs, etc.) then it is limited to the team played for that season. So, for example, Wade Boggs is a Yankee and a Ray as a member of the 3,000 hit club, but not as a batting champ. Can't say for sure, but that's the way it seems to me.
Ah, that would make complete sense. Thank you.

So, a couple things I learned yesterday…

Frankie “Sweet Music” Viola ran out his string with the Reds and the Blue Jays in ‘95 and ‘96. I have a recollection of Viola in a Blue Jays uniform, probably when he hung up his cleats, but absolutely no recall of him with the Reds, probably cause he only pitched in 3 games for them and got shelled.

I figured Bert Blyleven was an easy mark for 200 strikeouts while with the Rangers, but turns out he didn’t-in fact, he went 8 straight seasons without eclipsing 200 strikeouts; and even more interesting, he never eclipsed 200 SO’s in a season when he wasn’t pitching for the Twins—he did it early in his career and late in his career and both years he was traded mid-season (once away from the Twins, once to the Twins) but all his solo campaigns in Texas, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and California he fell short of 200 in a season.

Frankie “Sweet Music” Viola ran out his string with the Reds and the Blue Jays in ‘95 and ‘96. I have a recollection of Viola in a Blue Jays uniform, probably when he hung up his cleats, but absolutely no recall of him with the Reds, probably cause he only pitched in 3 games for them and got shelled.
The Viola > Reds connection was a revelation to me too.

As for Vikings HoF, one of the first names to pop in my head was Jan Stenerud. Less than 0.1% when I plugged that one. I would imagine Dave Casper would have similar rarity. 2 players that played roles against the Purple in their 4 Super Bowl defeats, but later suited up for them.

Still I could only muster 7of9, that's actually pretty good for me on that board.

I suck at this. No kids, I would be way better.

I remember being 10 years old and totally shocked my Dad didnt know who any of the current players were. I now know why.
I lean very heavy on my memory of my baseball card collection from the ‘70s to the early ‘90s. If the Rays, Marlins, D-Backs or Rockies are on the grid, I am pretty well f_ed.

The Viola > Reds connection was a revelation to me too.

As for Vikings HoF, one of the first names to pop in my head was Jan Stenerud. Less than 0.1% when I plugged that one. I would imagine Dave Casper would have similar rarity. 2 players that played roles against the Purple in their 4 Super Bowl defeats, but later suited up for them.

Still I could only muster 7of9, that's actually pretty good for me on that board.
Regarding the Vikings HOF’er, I pulled Hugh McElhenny which I think was .03% or so. He made his bones with the 49ers and was on his last legs with the expansion era Vikings. When I was a kid and devouring whatever I could read about the Vikings, McElhenny the HOF’er grabbed a corner of my brain and has never left.

Regarding the Vikings HOF’er, I pulled Hugh McElhenny which I think was .03% or so. He made his bones with the 49ers and was on his last legs with the expansion era Vikings. When I was a kid and devouring whatever I could read about the Vikings, McElhenny the HOF’er grabbed a corner of my brain and has never left.
We should have all entered Jim Marshall in a protest movement.

I figured Bert Blyleven was an easy mark for 200 strikeouts while with the Rangers, but turns out he didn’t-in fact, he went 8 straight seasons without eclipsing 200 strikeouts; and even more interesting, he never eclipsed 200 SO’s in a season when he wasn’t pitching for the Twins—he did it early in his career and late in his career and both years he was traded mid-season (once away from the Twins, once to the Twins) but all his solo campaigns in Texas, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and California he fell short of 200 in a season.
There's a cube today in which Bert can be used for a rarity score. Actually 2.

Another that scores well in rarity is this fella, though it just doesn't look right.

Killebrew-Harmon-KCR.jpg

Last edited:

So, I totally whiffed on the rarity score for the Royals-after finishing the grid and looking into the HOF’ers who played for them, I did a V-8 smack to the head when I realized I had overlooked Killebrew. What’s pretty astounding though is that they have only had 4 HOF’ers in their entire history with George Brett the sole player who had to prime years spent with the franchise (Killebrew, Orlando Cepeda, and Gaylord Perry were all at the end of their careers when reached the Royals). Maybe Carlos Beltran will join some day, but otherwise it seems a long drought remains ahead for the franchise.

So, I totally whiffed on the rarity score for the Royals-after finishing the grid and looking into the HOF’ers who played for them, I did a V-8 smack to the head when I realized I had overlooked Killebrew. What’s pretty astounding though is that they have only had 4 HOF’ers in their entire history with George Brett the sole player who had to prime years spent with the franchise (Killebrew, Orlando Cepeda, and Gaylord Perry were all at the end of their careers when reached the Royals). Maybe Carlos Beltran will join some day, but otherwise it seems a long drought remains ahead for the franchise.
It is surprising with how good KC was from 1975-1985 that only 1 core player from that run has made it to Cooperstown.

Just really solid rotation guys like Dennis Leonard & Paul Splittorff in the 70s. Then Saberhagen with an unbelievable run (but not long) that did get them their World Series win. Dan Quisenberry was also a great closer.

As for bats Amos Otis, Frank White and Hal McRae are all in the Hall of Really Good.

It is one of the easiest boards to be Immaculate (9-9) but my rarity score went over 100 using Sabes in the 20W category. Didn't think it would be that high. Had a good run on the All Stars with Bob Horner, Len Barker and Darrell Porter.

It is surprising with how good KC was from 1975-1985 that only 1 core player from that run has made it to Cooperstown.

Just really solid rotation guys like Dennis Leonard & Paul Splittorff in the 70s. Then Saberhagen with an unbelievable run (but not long) that did get them their World Series win. Dan Quisenberry was also a great closer.

As for bats Amos Otis, Frank White and Hal McRae are all in the Hall of Really Good.

It is one of the easiest boards to be Immaculate (9-9) but my rarity score went over 100 using Sabes in the 20W category. Didn't think it would be that high. Had a good run on the All Stars with Bob Horner, Len Barker and Darrell Porter.
Took much of the words out of my mouth-especially the Hall of Very Good which I would have all the guys you listed with John Mayberry and Willie Wilson just a notch below. Would have been real fun to see that outfield of Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye stick together too. I also used Bob Horner for All Stars, along with Carlos Baerga and Wade Davis, I was looking pretty before relying on Brett and Saberhagen which pushed my overall score high.

Took much of the words out of my mouth-especially the Hall of Very Good which I would have all the guys you listed with John Mayberry and Willie Wilson just a notch below. Would have been real fun to see that outfield of Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye stick together too. I also used Bob Horner for All Stars, along with Carlos Baerga and Wade Davis, I was looking pretty before relying on Brett and Saberhagen which pushed my overall score high.
I regret for the Braves/All Star box that I whiffed on the opportunity to use a name that rivals Bombo Rivera:

The great Biff Pocoroba.

Biff represented the Senior Circuit in 1978.

My cheat codes are left-handed pitchers and backup QBs. Haven't really found a good group like those that I can use for the NBA though.

My cheat codes are left-handed pitchers and backup QBs. Haven't really found a good group like those that I can use for the NBA though.
Jesse Orosco has helped me considerably, but I need to brush up on the overall career treks of several other lefties in a pinch.

I do believe the combination of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vinny Testaverde, Jon Kitna, Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett, Matt Cassel, Steve DeBerg, Jim McMahon, Chris Chandler and Kerry Collins could damn near solve every immaculate grid thrown at us.

Commit to memory Jeff Green's career trek and you're almost guaranteed one spot for every NBA grid. Chris Paul's catching up there too. Frank Brickowski's a sneaky effective grid contributor also.

Jesse Orosco has helped me considerably, but I need to brush up on the overall career treks of several other lefties in a pinch.

I do believe the combination of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vinny Testaverde, Jon Kitna, Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett, Matt Cassel, Steve DeBerg, Jim McMahon, Chris Chandler and Kerry Collins could damn near solve every immaculate grid thrown at us.

Commit to memory Jeff Green's career trek and you're almost guaranteed one spot for every NBA grid. Chris Paul's catching up there too. Frank Brickowski's a sneaky effective grid contributor also.
Go ahead and look up Terry Mulholland. That'll be a tremendous help.
Jeff Green's a good one. Jamal Crawford too.

I warned everyone when I posted the Grid originally on the Twins In Season thread how obsessive it can be.

Driving home from the Twins game, I was checking out the Philadelphia/Miami game on the radio. Even though he wasn't referenced on the broadcast, all of a sudden I was kicking myself for suddenly remembering Bob Walk pitched for both the Phillies & Pirates. Would have been helpful on the Monday Grid. Too late.

I warned everyone when I posted the Grid originally on the Twins In Season thread how obsessive it can be.

Driving home from the Twins game, I was checking out the Philadelphia/Miami game on the radio. Even though he wasn't referenced on the broadcast, all of a sudden I was kicking myself for suddenly remembering Bob Walk pitched for both the Phillies & Pirates. Would have been helpful on the Monday Grid. Too late.
The old Pirates were bountiful for me on Monday-Dave Cash, Jim Bibby, Al Oliver all came through-I didn’t even have to tap into Bill Madlock or Bert Blyleven on this day. Felt like Ice Cube on Monday 😉

The ‘79 “We Are Family” Pirates were actually my first baseball love-Pops Stargell lead the charge, but Dave Parker, Kent Tekulve, Phil Garner, Manny Sanguillen and a host of others will always hold a special place in my heart, along with Sister Sledge’s anthem and the Stargell Stars on the caps. And…the collection of those players make for a fine base when doing the Grid 😉

The old Pirates were bountiful for me on Monday-Dave Cash, Jim Bibby, Al Oliver all came through-I didn’t even have to tap into Bill Madlock or Bert Blyleven on this day. Felt like Ice Cube on Monday 😉

The ‘79 “We Are Family” Pirates were actually my first baseball love-Pops Stargell lead the charge, but Dave Parker, Kent Tekulve, Phil Garner, Manny Sanguillen and a host of others will always hold a special place in my heart, along with Sister Sledge’s anthem and the Stargell Stars on the caps. And…the collection of those players make for a fine base when doing the Grid 😉
I dug the lids.

ALERT - Twins on the Grid today, connected to the team they are playing today in G2.

Warning - Josh Hamilton never played in an MLB Game for the franchise that made him a #1 Overall Draft Pick.

ALERT - Twins on the Grid today, connected to the team they are playing today in G2.

Warning - Josh Hamilton never played in an MLB Game for the franchise that made him a #1 Overall Draft Pick.

Not to brag but I pulled a .1% on my Twins/Jays square.

Also, if anyone here does the hockey grids, the Wild are on it.

Top Bottom