All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Got my first full grid in a while with this baseball one. No impressive rarity scores on my end though.

Got my first full grid in a while with this baseball one. No impressive rarity scores on my end though.
I figured Len Barker had a sub 3.00 ERA, which he did. Just not with Cleveland, so 8 of 9.

Should have gone with "Circle Me".

I figured Len Barker had a sub 3.00 ERA, which he did. Just not with Cleveland, so 8 of 9.

In a part of my brain where it would be far more useful to harbor investment information or mathematical formulas rests the knowledge that Herb Score was an ace pitcher for the Indians back in the ‘50s before a severe injury curtailed his career. Doesn’t do my retirement portfolio a lick of good, but made my Grid look pretty today.

Totally forgot about Bert pitching in Cleveland. Probably would have been a better answer than my Cliff Lee

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 201 9/9:
Rarity: 3
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Good one today. Wasn’t trying for rarity; just got lucky about my principal baseball card era (and the Twins).

Usually when I try for rarity it creates an error and messes up the grid.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 201 9/9:
Rarity: 3
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Good one today. Wasn’t trying for rarity; just got lucky about my principal baseball card era (and the Twins).

Usually when I try for rarity it creates an error and messes up the grid.
I gave it another go on a different device, without repeats and sort of cheating knowing in advance Bert qualified. Got to 10, which is maybe as low as I have ever gotten but nowhere near your sick 3 mark.

Nettles-Hoyt-Guidry
Tiant-Blyleven-McKenzie
Candelaria--Reardon-Rogers

Tristan McKenzie was 2% & Steve Rogers 4%. All the rest less than 1%.

I gave it another go on a different device, without repeats and sort of cheating knowing in advance Bert qualified. Got to 10, which is maybe as low as I have ever gotten but nowhere near your sick 3 mark.

Nettles-Hoyt-Guidry
Tiant-Blyleven-McKenzie
Candelaria--Reardon-Rogers

Tristan McKenzie was 2% & Steve Rogers 4%. All the rest less than 1%.
Pagliarulo .6 Righetti .6 Guidry .7
John Smiley .05 Doug Jones .3 Tom Waddell .03
Tom Nieto .1 John Wettland.7 Razor Shines .3

Most guys I knew their 87 Topps card. The one with the brown wood looking frame.

Tom Nieto had an Expos uniform on for his Twins card. I can’t forget him for it.

I remember my borther had Razor Shines rookie card. Which of course meant he was gonna be a superstar.

I could only think of relivers for ERA. Then the one team column, guys whom we’re supposed to be good, but ultimately sucked.

Pagliarulo .6 Righetti .6 Guidry .7
John Smiley .05 Doug Jones .3 Tom Waddell .03
Tom Nieto .1 John Wettland.7 Razor Shines .3

Most guys I knew their 87 Topps card. The one with the brown wood looking frame.

Tom Nieto had an Expos uniform on for his Twins card. I can’t forget him for it.

I remember my borther had Razor Shines rookie card. Which of course meant he was gonna be a superstar.

I could only think of relivers for ERA. Then the one team column, guys whom we’re supposed to be good, but ultimately sucked.
Wow, on recalling Nieto at all much less playing for the Expos as well. I must have the same card somewhere.

Seeing as how we both gravitated to Guidry, I am surprised as much of a stud he was that he's less than 1%, but there are loads of legends that qualify, Gehrig-DiMaggio-Ford-Mantle-Mattingly just for starters.

As much as I have loathed the Yankees, I loved watching Guidry pitch.

Dang, here I am excited over just completing all 9 for the first time even with a 123 score. 3 (and 10) are ridiculous.

Today's board, uber tough. Only got 5, uffda.

Yeah. I don't like this one. The middle column is easy. You can sort of make an educated guess at the 100 runs column, but you've got to be an uber stats nerd to recall how many doubles a guy hit in a year

Y’all aint lying. I thought 2Bs would be easier because I inow rhe 80s. HRs weren’t big. Got all the 2B columb wrong. Was stupid in doing 30+ HR first. Took away my best 2B candidates.

Wolves alert on the Hoops grid.

- MAC great
- FR great
- WIAC great

I could not think of a player for the Seattle-Atlanta box today. Otherwise I had a good one going.

Best answer was a Pirate born outside the US. Former Twin involved in big trade before the 1992 season. Probably my best percentage ever: .007%.

I could not think of a player for the Seattle-Atlanta box today. Otherwise I had a good one going.

Best answer was a Pirate born outside the US. Former Twin involved in big trade before the 1992 season. Probably my best percentage ever: .007%.
John Smiley trade?

I took an educated guess on Bret Boone for Sea-Atl, which worked out.

Circle Me was less than 1% as a Pirate born outside the US.

Inspired by the Grid, I spent some time trying to figure out how many former Twins it would take to cover all 30 MLB franchises and I came up with 7: Jesse Orosco, Dan Schatzeder, Denny Neagle, Mark Guthrie, Eduardo Escobar, Nelson Cruz, and Josh Willingham combined to play for the other 29 teams. Miami was the stickler for me, hence Willingham’s inclusion.

Vikes on the Grid alert.

I went with 44 - 19 - 81.

A couple of new categories, 6+ WAR & those that played in the Negro Leagues. For the WAR I used pitchers that I knew just dominated and it worked out, including my guy Waite.

I think I got an unjust incorrect answer on the HoF-Negro Lgs, as I used Henry Aaron. Wiki says he played for the Indianapolis Clowns before signing with the Braves. Not sure where I file a formal protest.

A couple of new categories, 6+ WAR & those that played in the Negro Leagues. For the WAR I used pitchers that I knew just dominated and it worked out, including my guy Waite.

I think I got an unjust incorrect answer on the HoF-Negro Lgs, as I used Henry Aaron. Wiki says he played for the Indianapolis Clowns before signing with the Braves. Not sure where I file a formal protest.

I did some more digging and found out why Aaron was a no go. Hovering on the Negro League icon/rules I noticed only those that played through 1948 qualified.

MLB is acknowledging stats from the Negro League, but by 1948, the National League (Jackie Robinson) and American League (Larry Doby) and integrated the year prior. Several others did shortly after. By 1949 enough talent had signed on, that they were deemed no longer "Major".

Hank Aaron's brief stint with the Indianapolis Clowns was in 1951.

Fun grid today which allowed me to plug Twins legends into four slots on the way to 9/9. Just missed sliding into single digits with 14 points.

Fun grid today which allowed me to plug Twins legends into four slots on the way to 9/9. Just missed sliding into single digits with 14 points.
Did you by chance use Dozier in the 40HR/Gold Glove cube? I'm guessing that one had to be rare.

I did use #3, #7 & #34 elsewhere for low scores, but you edged me by 1%.

Did you by chance use Dozier in the 40HR/Gold Glove cube? I'm guessing that one had to be rare.

I did use #3, #7 & #34 elsewhere for low scores, but you edged me by 1%.
Ahh, nice work with Dozier, I overlooked him as an option there. I enlisted #3, 6, 28, and 34 as my Twins and then a host of infielders got me to my sparkling score.

Ahh, nice work with Dozier, I overlooked him as an option there. I enlisted #3, 6, 28, and 34 as my Twins and then a host of infielders got me to my sparkling score.
I didn't use Dozier, that was a lookup after the fact. I used Willie Mays there, 7%, so just about half my rarity on his cube. Wasn't real confident on 40HR bombers that could also field.

I didn't use Dozier, that was a lookup after the fact. I used Willie Mays there, 7%, so just about half my rarity on his cube. Wasn't real confident on 40HR bombers that could also field.
For that cube, Adrian Beltre was my guy; my big number was ARod in the 40/40 cube at 5%.

Twins and Timberwolves alert today with a couple Golden Gopher greats figuring prominently in my NBA grid.

Was able to attain a perfect score with help of Twins, although I was struggling to recall a Twins-Mariners connection when a random utility outfielder who spent most of his career with Seattle popped into my head. The others were an outfielder with a long hitting streak and a reliever who cycled through twice with the team.

Twins and Timberwolves alert today with a couple Golden Gopher greats figuring prominently in my NBA grid.

Was able to attain a perfect score with help of Twins, although I was struggling to recall a Twins-Mariners connection when a random utility outfielder who spent most of his career with Seattle popped into my head. The others were an outfielder with a long hitting streak and a reliever who cycled through twice with the team.
For the Twins, I used a starting pitcher from the first series that started the now over 18 game playoff skid, an Opening Day starting pitcher from the mid 70s, and a twin.

Without anyone asking for it, I've put together my Immaculate Grid All-Star team. Criteria for inclusion is a minimum of 6 teams played for during their career, with a minimum of 40 WAR (with a couple players rounded up to 40, with reasons I'll explain). Here's the team:

C Lance Parrish: 7 teams, 39.5 WAR (it was tough finding catchers with the established criteria, and had some candidates such as Ted Simmons knocking on the door, but ultimately Parrish was the closest to said criteria)

1B Orlando Cepeda: 6 teams, 50.1 WAR. The first of several HOF'ers on this team

2B Roberto Alomar: 7 teams, 67 WAR

SS Julio Franco: 8 teams, 43.6 (he deserves a shout out not only because he played until the age of 48, but also because his stint with the Rays was for 1 game, 1 at-bat. What foresight he had to help us on the IG for my most difficult of teams!)

3B Graig Nettles: 6 teams, 67.9 WAR

OF Tim Raines: 6 teams, 69.4 WAR

OF Kenny Lofton: 11 teams, 68.4 WAR and a starting PG for some tough Arizona Wildcats teams in the late '80s

OF Reggie Sanders: 8 teams, 39.8 WAR (had to round up for Reggie, this team wouldn't be complete without this single season mercenary slugger)

DH Jim Thome: 6 teams, 73.1 WAR

SP Steve Carlton: 6 teams, 90.2 WAR
SP Gaylord Perry: 8 teams, 90 WAR
SP Bartolo Colon: 11 teams, 46.2 WAR
SP Luis Tiant: 6 teams, 66.1 WAR
SP John Candelaria: 8 teams, 41.9 WAR

RP Hoyt Wilhelm: 9 teams, 46.8 WAR
RP Goose Gossage: 9 teams, 41.2 WAR

*Anytime the Giants come up on the board, consider this list--7 of the players spent some time with the franchise*

I wasn’t able to snag a perfect score today (there’s a special kind of malevolence for putting the Rays and D-Backs on the same grid), but I did discover a new favorite name in baseball, Boom-Boom Beck who pitched for the Tigers and Pirates among other teams. Here’s how he got his nickname, according to Wikipedia:

His nickname, Boom-Boom, was earned while pitching at Baker Bowl against the Phillies in 1934. He allowed numerous line drives that struck the metal outfield wall, each time making a booming sound. Manager Casey Stengel sought to remove Beck from the game. Frustrated with his performance and for being removed, Beck threw the baseball at the outfield wall, where it hit and made another booming sound. Outfielder Hack Wilson had not been paying attention; hearing the ball hit the fence and thinking that gameplay had resumed, Wilson hurriedly chased the ball down and threw it back to the infield.[1]

Top Bottom