All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Twins and T-Wolves alert on the grid today:

Twins: great mustachioed hurler who led the Twins in wins one year in early ‘80s; shortstop who was part of the package sent off for Delmon Young; great sliding catch in 1st WS for Twins

TWolves: shooting guard who they should have drafted when they had the chance; alliterative sharp shooter from the Corn Palace city; Croatian stiff whose nickname was The Human Victory Cigar

Twins and T-Wolves alert on the grid today:

Twins: great mustachioed hurler who led the Twins in wins one year in early ‘80s; shortstop who was part of the package sent off for Delmon Young; great sliding catch in 1st WS for Twins

TWolves: shooting guard who they should have drafted when they had the chance; alliterative sharp shooter from the Corn Palace city; Croatian stiff whose nickname was The Human Victory Cigar
For the Baseball Grid, Nelson Cruz works in more than half of the Cubes, 5 for 9. After the fact I was shocked about not qualifying in one of the Statistical efforts.

For the Twins I went with all Local Heroes: Highland Park, St Paul Central & JFK.

I'm going to go ahead and add Gold Glove winners to the list of things I can't get right. Good grief.

Anyone who has been hoping to use Ron Gardenhire on the Grid, today is your day!

Might be the only opportunity ever.

I'm going to go ahead and add Gold Glove winners to the list of things I can't get right. Good grief.
I think 40 Doubles in a season is my ultimate kryptonite. Whatever day that was, I used 5 guesses before I got one for the Cubs. I Tin Cupped it.

Another double dose of Twins & TWolves yesterday.
Twins: SS who was part of the first all-black starting lineup; traded for Graig Nettles; Gene Mauch’s nephew
Wolves: Golden Gopher great; first TWolves star; The Professor

Another double dose of Twins & TWolves yesterday.
Twins: SS who was part of the first all-black starting lineup; traded for Graig Nettles; Gene Mauch’s nephew
Wolves: Golden Gopher great; first TWolves star; The Professor
For the Twins yesterday:

- Backup C on '91 Champs
- Lefty
- Only Twin named to squad at HHH Dome

Something I learned today courteously via a Football Grid fail, Paul Hornung only rushed for 3,711 Yds in the NFL.

Huh.

Vikings alert on the Football Grid. I used these for a total < 3%.

- All Time Gopher Great DB
- Arm Wrestling Champ
- 90s QB that Denny bailed on

Last edited:

Vikings alert on the Football Grid. I used these for a total < 3%.

- All Time Gopher Great DB
- Arm Wrestling Champ
- 90s QB that Denny bailed on
In a real rarity, I was able to go 9for9 on the Football Grid.

God bless you Ray Wersching.

Decent rarity score today for baseball. Got a 6…. However, the grid today was well set up. Think if I planned better could have easily done better.

Decent rarity score today for baseball. Got a 6…. However, the grid today was well set up. Think if I planned better could have easily done better.
Great work on getting a 6, I was shooting for single digits that day and was happy to get 8. Used a couple of hacks:

- I knew Cy Young had a season which he hit well over .300 (for future reference so does Walter Johnson)
- I guessed that as a Yankee, Babe Ruth had a season with an ERA of 3.00 or less. Turned out the Bambino had one year which he threw a Complete Game and gave up exactly 3 runs, so WINNER.

Sick.

Twins alert on the GRID today. I went the opposite of Rarity hunting.

- Closer for '87 WS Team.
- Stalwart stopper in the '00s and into the '10s.
- Stole home. Lots.

Very frustrating mistake on the Grid today, as there is a Jim Hunter who is a completely different human than Jim "Catfish" Hunter. User Error.

I think I have made the same mistake previously, so really bad on my part. Fail.

Great work on getting a 6, I was shooting for single digits that day and was happy to get 8. Used a couple of hacks:

- I knew Cy Young had a season which he hit well over .300 (for future reference so does Walter Johnson)
- I guessed that as a Yankee, Babe Ruth had a season with an ERA of 3.00 or less. Turned out the Bambino had one year which he threw a Complete Game and gave up exactly 3 runs, so WINNER.

Sick.

- Stole home. Lots.
On that grid I used Babe too. He was a 2% on the

Sick.

- Stole home. Lots.
interesting. I used the Babe as well for the HOF ERA category. I used D Rihgetti for Yankees and Doug Jones for Cle.

For HR 300
NYY was Jay Buhner, Cle Ralph Kiner, and HOF was Jim Rice.

For AVG NYY Claudell Washington (thank you 1980s baseball cards), cle julio franco, and Frankie Firsch for HOF.

My hacks, other than a good memories of playing fake games with legos and Topps cards are 80s relievers. I also used to have a set of legends cards. About 50 players that were early HOF guys. They had stats and a nice narrative. These really pay off.

Very frustrating mistake on the Grid today, as there is a Jim Hunter who is a completely different human than Jim "Catfish" Hunter. User Error.

I think I have made the same mistake previously, so really bad on my part. Fail.
Crushing when You do it. I usually am sore at myself for a few days and dont play.

The mistake I make too much, is thinking about and answering by crossing category without verifying. So I’ll end up with row/column mismatch. The whole thing is then crushed.

On that grid I used Babe too. He was a 2% on the

interesting. I used the Babe as well for the HOF ERA category. I used D Rihgetti for Yankees and Doug Jones for Cle.

For HR 300
NYY was Jay Buhner, Cle Ralph Kiner, and HOF was Jim Rice.

For AVG NYY Claudell Washington (thank you 1980s baseball cards), cle julio franco, and Frankie Firsch for HOF.

My hacks, other than a good memories of playing fake games with legos and Topps cards are 80s relievers. I also used to have a set of legends cards. About 50 players that were early HOF guys. They had stats and a nice narrative. These really pay off.
Kindred spirits with the Topps cards. Great call on Frisch and we matched on Ralph Kiner and I used an 80s reliever as well (Sutter).

My full board was:

300 HR .300 AVG 3.00 ERA
NYY Cecil Fielder - Willie Randolph - Babe
Clev Bobby Bonds - Shoeless Joe - Triston McKenzie (current Guard)
HoF Kiner - Cy - Bruce Sutter

Crushing when You do it. I usually am sore at myself for a few days and dont play.

The mistake I make too much, is thinking about and answering by crossing category without verifying. So I’ll end up with row/column mismatch. The whole thing is then crushed.

I've committed that fatal flaw as well. It is a sock in the gut.

For the Basketball Grid, the few times I have played, I consider myself "perfect" when I correctly identify the NBA Franchises that go along with the all the logos being displayed.

It's really tough when all 6 are non-stat categories.

Kindred spirits with the Topps cards. Great call on Frisch and we matched on Ralph Kiner and I used an 80s reliever as well (Sutter).

My full board was:

300 HR .300 AVG 3.00 ERA
NYY Cecil Fielder - Willie Randolph - Babe
Clev Bobby Bonds - Shoeless Joe - Triston McKenzie (current Guard)
HoF Kiner - Cy - Bruce Sutter

I've committed that fatal flaw as well. It is a sock in the gut.
My board on that day was:
NYY: Ruben Sierra-Chris Chambliss-Ron Davis!
Clev: Joe Carter-C. Baerga-Ernie "Macho" Camacho
HOF: Orlando Cepeda-Tony O!-Trevor Hoffman

Rarity score of 11--the elusive sub-10 rarity score still evades me

Today's board got me a rarity score of 12

It's damn hard when you have a few 2%'s pop up on you--I could understand Gaylord Perry and even Johnny Sain garnering a 2% in their respective categories, but Mike Davis for the Dodgers/A's? C'mon!

Today's board got me a rarity score of 12

It's damn hard when you have a few 2%'s pop up on you--I could understand Gaylord Perry and even Johnny Sain garnering a 2% in their respective categories, but Mike Davis for the Dodgers/A's? C'mon!

I used Johnny Sain as well, so apologies for hurting your rarity effort.

One thing that really puzzles me is how they calculate the rarity score in literally the opening seconds when the Grid is available. During the week I am on my commute and let 'er rip right at 8AM.

There's also like already several thousands that have played it at like 8:02 AM (Central Time). Are there Bots involved? That also could be a reflection of those that are signed up for auto notification.

I would also think the percentages change throughout the day.

Interesting new categories today, including Must Have Played 1 Game at SS and Must Have Played 1 Game at C which line up in the bottom right Cube. I resorted to a player that I knew did the All 9 positions thing (not a Twin). Turns out there were 427 options.

For the Cub SS I used the name in a very famous poem from the early 1900s. 2%.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid today. For the first time I was stymied on a Purple category.

I got Tampa (SB Winner) & 10 Sacks (Undrafted HoF) but had zilch for the Bengals.

With 6 guesses left I tried a couple of recent journeyman QBs (Teddy & Case) but no dice. I figured there had be a couple of QB options, so I Googled a list of Vikes QBs.

I was down to my next to last choice before hitting on a Brad Childress era passer known more for a self inflicted injury on a nationally televised game (with yet a different franchise).

Only one to ever through a pass for both teams.

Vikings Alert on the Football Grid today. For the first time I was stymied on a Purple category.

I got Tampa (SB Winner) & 10 Sacks (Undrafted HoF) but had zilch for the Bengals.

With 6 guesses left I tried a couple of recent journeyman QBs (Teddy & Case) but no dice. I figured there had be a couple of QB options, so I Googled a list of Vikes QBs.

I was down to my next to last choice before hitting on a Brad Childress era passer known more for a self inflicted injury on a nationally televised game (with yet a different franchise).

Only one to ever through a pass for both teams.
It took me awhile with the Bengals too until a former CB who was a disappointing 1st round pick from a rival B10 school flashed to mind. I also know there’s a veteran DB who was a Mike Zimmer favorite that would work here, but the name is escaping me.

On the baseball side of things, I was stymied from a perfect score by the Angels/Cubs square and when I looked at the entire list was dumbfounded by how many ex-Twins played for both of those teams.

It took me awhile with the Bengals too until a former CB who was a disappointing 1st round pick from a rival B10 school flashed to mind. I also know there’s a veteran DB who was a Mike Zimmer favorite that would work here, but the name is escaping me.

On the baseball side of things, I was stymied from a perfect score by the Angels/Cubs square and when I looked at the entire list was dumbfounded by how many ex-Twins played for both of those teams.

I can't explain why, but for some reason I had a Geoff Zahn epiphany today.

Vikings are back-to-back on the Football Grid ALERT. This time with the Houston Texans.

I'm punting.

Vikings are back-to-back on the Football Grid ALERT. This time with the Houston Texans.

I'm punting.
There’s one guy who if you think about it just a bit, a flash in the pan for the Vikes whose parlayed it into a long career as a backup.

Beyond that guy, it’s a vast abyss of players
I can't explain why, but for some reason I had a Geoff Zahn epiphany today.

There’s one guy who if you think about it just a bit, a flash in the pan for the Vikes whose parlayed it into a long career as a backup.

Beyond that guy, it’s a vast abyss of players
I think you are actually referring to one of the guys I tried yesterday with the Bengals.

In the entire existence of the Texans, I would guess that I have seen less than 10 of their games, and all were either against the Vikings or in the playoffs, until I watched them play the Broncos a couple of weeks ago.

That contest was while I was in Vegas, so draw your own conclusion as to why I was particularly intrigued with that game.

I think you are actually referring to one of the guys I tried yesterday with the Bengals.

In the entire existence of the Texans, I would guess that I have seen less than 10 of their games, and all were either against the Vikings or in the playoffs, until I watched them play the Broncos a couple of weeks ago.

That contest was while I was in Vegas, so draw your own conclusion as to why I was particularly intrigued with that game.
Vikings-Texans = No clue. Yuck.

Top Bottom