All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

A very useful old school Grid guy is Waite Hoyt. He has a unique combination of being quite a dominating pitcher but somewhat of a journeyman, having played for 7 of the "Original 16" MLB franchises that still exist today. His career started over a century ago and lasted more than 2 decades.

He was the ace of the 1927 Yankees and eventually enshrined in Cooperstown, remarkably in my lifetime (1969).

For the total Grid degenerates (which is a term of respect) there is something called a "Bonus Grid" presented by FOX and the Twins are on it.

For my selections:

- An OF known for making a famous World Series catch (predates Kirby by a few decades).
- A pitcher better known for days with the Cards & Phils.
- Brother of another Cy Young award winner.

For the total Grid degenerates (which is a term of respect) there is something called a "Bonus Grid" presented by FOX and the Twins are on it.

For my selections:

- An OF known for making a famous World Series catch (predates Kirby by a few decades).
- A pitcher better known for days with the Cards & Phils.
- Brother of another Cy Young award winner.
Ope, for two of the three (HOF and Cy Young) we trod the same path.

For All-Star, I went with a more obscure player than even Dave Engle, at least in my mind--I was curious when it popped up on the regular grid the other day as to the history of Twins' All-Stars and if Engle was the most obscure All-Star in their history--and I vaguely was reminded of a journeyman reliever who caught on as a closer for a couple of years in the late '10s before being shuttled off in a trade deadline deal. That he garnered a 0.1% on the grid, from just six years ago, seems to affirm my labeling of him as most obscure Twins All-Start (discounting the Senators years).

Ope, for two of the three (HOF and Cy Young) we trod the same path.

For All-Star, I went with a more obscure player than even Dave Engle, at least in my mind--I was curious when it popped up on the regular grid the other day as to the history of Twins' All-Stars and if Engle was the most obscure All-Star in their history--and I vaguely was reminded of a journeyman reliever who caught on as a closer for a couple of years in the late '10s before being shuttled off in a trade deadline deal. That he garnered a 0.1% on the grid, from just six years ago, seems to affirm my labeling of him as most obscure Twins All-Start (discounting the Senators years).
Looking at the list, yeah the Twin AllStar you are referencing had totally been erased from my memory bank.

A couple of other rarities I am sure are the catcher who made it when the game was at Target Field and an early 80s closer.

Late notice but the Vikes are on the Football Grid today. If you missed, there is a "Previous Grid" portal to catch up.

My choices:
- A favorite safety valve for TK
- Straight Cash Homey (surprised at how high the percentage was ,given how brief the stay)
- Greatest Offensive Lineman in franchise history and was astonished it was only 1%.

Last edited:

Late notice but the Vikes are on the Football Grid today. If you missed, there is a "Previous Grid" portal to catch up.

My choices:
- A favorite safety valve for TK
- Straight Cash Homey (surprised at how high the percentage was ,given how brief the stay)
- Greatest Offensive Lineman in franchise and was astonished it was only 1%.
Nice call on the safety valve-he had slipped my mind, but you had me instantly recalling the RB who one of my friends would constantly bemoan his “3 carries, 3 yards”
stat line.

I went with:
* the funky QB who turned into a journeyman after hitting the heights in ‘85
* a former CFL superstar who had great success in the NFL (mostly with another franchise)
* a dominant defensive player in the late ‘80s, both on the field and on the Mankato Hardee’s drive thru

Twins Alert on the Grid.

- A pitcher who won a WS both in the AL & NL
- The 2nd best "fielder" at his position
- A player who the Twins were on the "short" end of trades both coming and going

Twins Alert on the Grid.

- A player who the Twins were on the "short" end of trades both coming and going
Also, for the last line, a slugger who had a hot dog named after him at Target Field

For Red Sox-Padres, Bruce Hurst finally came to mind.

Afterwards, although I knew Rickey Henderson had substantial time with the Padres (and every West Coast franchise but the Giants) I was dumbfounded to find out that he would qualify for that Cube.

72 games with the BoSox in 2002 at age 43. Go figure.

Twins Alert on the Grid.

-A mid ‘70s reliever that shared a last name with a popular instant, liquid meal
-A Minnesota native who was part of the vaunted Mets pitching staff in late 60s/early 70s
-Lefty reliever whose claim to fame was putting eyeblack on Kirk Gibson’s ball cap in spring training

-Lefty reliever whose claim to fame was putting eyeblack on Kirk Gibson’s ball cap in spring training
From the LA Times:

Let’s just say I won’t be doing it again. That’s because I don’t want to read my name in the obituaries.

It was just a typical practical joke. Kirk and I talked, and I hope he understands. I felt bad after I did it, and I felt really bad after (Gibson’s) reaction.

-A mid ‘70s reliever that shared a last name with a popular instant, liquid meal
-A Minnesota native who was part of the vaunted Mets pitching staff in late 60s/early 70s
That last Cube should have gone with the guy most well known for having trouble ironing his shirt.

Interesting career arc, 5 year gap in the Bigs. 11 years later, still kickin' it in the Atlantic League.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about baseball from the 80s on, but I have trouble remembering Rookies of the Year for some reason. If I can't use Cal Ripken Jr., Marty Cordova or Chuck Knoblauch, I'm toast.

Nice call on the safety valve-he had slipped my mind, but you had me instantly recalling the RB who one of my friends would constantly bemoan his “3 carries, 3 yards”
stat line.

I went with:
* the funky QB who turned into a journeyman after hitting the heights in ‘85
* a former CFL superstar who had great success in the NFL (mostly with another franchise)
* a dominant defensive player in the late ‘80s, both on the field and on the Mankato Hardee’s drive thru
I went guy who dropped the pass to maybe go to the Super Bowl for 1%
Cornerback from the Oilers for .3%
Hall of Fame OL for .3%

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about baseball from the 80s on, but I have trouble remembering Rookies of the Year for some reason. If I can't use Cal Ripken Jr., Marty Cordova or Chuck Knoblauch, I'm toast.
For ROY when in doubt pick pick a Dodger or someone from the Big Red Machine.

A very useful old school Grid guy is Waite Hoyt. He has a unique combination of being quite a dominating pitcher but somewhat of a journeyman, having played for 7 of the "Original 16" MLB franchises that still exist today. His career started over a century ago and lasted more than 2 decades.

He was the ace of the 1927 Yankees and eventually enshrined in Cooperstown, remarkably in my lifetime (1969).

Today I will term a Waite Hoyt "Grand Slam". He can be used in 4 different Cubes.

Less traveled, but so can "NO-MAH!" Efficient, since he only played for 4 franchises.

Should have been immaculate today. For the A's/Tigers, I had thought of Brian Harper right away, but I didn't think he payed for the Tigers (or wasn't sure). After getting the other 8, I forgot about him and threw something stupid in instead.

Turns out he played for both. Dammit.

Should have been immaculate today. For the A's/Tigers, I had thought of Brian Harper right away, but I didn't think he payed for the Tigers (or wasn't sure). After getting the other 8, I forgot about him and threw something stupid in instead.

Turns out he played for both. Dammit.
For that Tigers/A's Cube there's a "1st Ballot" Hall of Famer that works. After playing for 2 decades for one team, he moved on and was still a hitting machine into his 40s.

Cobb-Ty-1927-Philadelphia.jpg

Lots of Grid geeks are onto it. Even though it was a century ago, still gets an 8%.

For that Tigers/A's Cube there's a "1st Ballot" Hall of Famer that works. After playing for 2 decades for one team, he moved on and was still a hitting machine into his 40s.

View attachment 27728

Lots of Grid geeks are onto it. Even though it was a century ago, still gets an 8%.
I knew that one too from a recent day. I really f**ked up.

Tripped up by Astros-Marlins today. Houston is apparently one of the few teams Livan Hernandez did not pitch for.

Also not good when the most popular choice is a current player and I have never heard of him.

Last edited:

I generally don't venture to the Puck Grid, but North Stars Alert! Actually 2 of the Cubes, there's few (if any) options.

For all you Kari Takko fans, today's your day!

Norm Sucks!!!!

Last edited:

On the NBA board today I was able to pull the immaculate grid with a huge assist from a former MN prep/short-time Golden Gopher from the ‘70s—a Hail Mary that landed.

Today's random fact is that Ken Brett can be used in all 6 Cubes that are Teams only on the Baseball Grid.

Twins alert on the Grid today.

- Love that kid.
- Local Hero.
- Not Mad.

It's doesn't apply to the Twins selections today, but there are a couple of new categories, "Sub 3.00 ERA" and "Only Played for 1 Team".

Twins alert on the Grid today.

- Love that kid.
- Local Hero.
- Not Mad.

It's doesn't apply to the Twins selections today, but there are a couple of new categories, "Sub 3.00 ERA" and "Only Played for 1 Team".
Twins and Vikings alert today:
-Gave up famous first home run to Twins legend before becoming teammates
-Released after arm injury went on to become an ace in the ‘70s
-Utility player and fan favorite from second WS champ team
Vikings:
-Defensive back who had a memorable interception return for TD against division rivals on MNF (‘90s)
-Golden years of HOF career by time he made it to the expansion era Vikings
-Offensive guard who didn’t start his career with the Vikings

Twins and Vikings alert today:
-Gave up famous first home run to Twins legend before becoming teammates
-Released after arm injury went on to become an ace in the ‘70s
-Utility player and fan favorite from second WS champ team
Vikings:
-Defensive back who had a memorable interception return for TD against division rivals on MNF (‘90s)

You missed your Bombo opportunity again.

Vikings:
For the Purple:

- "Let's be careful out there."
- Not Cher
- The Ghost

Top Bottom