All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I’ve been looking for a box score from this game but it didn’t make my strib. Watching the YouTube video, Caledonia got some momentum going and hung on despite TG having two good looks to win it. Not sure if there two are in the same class, but would be fun to see a state tourney rematch!
Alas….Caledonia is in 2A, battling North and Morris area. Grace is 3A.

I was at the game today. ElI King is going to be a nice player. Great shooter, handles the ball and knows the game. He’s the protypical coaches kid. Not going to be a superstar but will be a winning player.

Totino is amazingly undisciplined. Throws the ball away way too often. They we’re up 50-30 at halftime and came out and played the second half with no energy.
I’m surprised the Totino Coach hadn’t received for criticism for this loss. Blows a 29 point lead with an AAU team. If this was Ken Novak in the past you wouldn’t here the end of it.

Watson looked good. Don’t think he’s a day one contributor at ISU but I do think the Gophers soured on him too early. Could be a good complimentary piece. Also, Taison Chapman hadn’t impressed so far this year. I know he’s Ben’s top priority in 2023 but I haven’t seen much improvement. Almost looks bored.

I’m surprised the Totino Coach hadn’t received for criticism for this loss. Blows a 29 point lead with an AAU team. If this was Ken Novak in the past you wouldn’t here the end of it.

Watson looked good. Don’t think he’s a day one contributor at ISU but I do think the Gophers soured on him too early. Could be a good complimentary piece. Also, Taison Chapman hadn’t impressed so far this year. I know he’s Ben’s top priority in 2023 but I haven’t seen much improvement. Almost looks bored.
Chapman in watching the Caledonia game didn’t look like anything more than a decent High School guard . Probably an off night Watson looked the part of a college wing. King seemed to be always in the right passing lane on defense. If his three point shot improved he’d be even tougher to guard IMO

Looks like @Jaden2coldd had 22 points, 10 steals and 6 rebounds yesterday.
Colony is now 21-2 and one of the top teams in CA's largest division. They obliterated their opponent yesterday by 60+. Here are some of Jaden's highlights. He has long arms which should translate to some ability to get into the passing lanes. Still very slender but has a decent looking shot and handles. Might be a nice addition to the squad. Hopefully we can hang onto him until signing day on Apr. 13.

Yeah, I think he'll play quite a bit. I think his defense, rebounding and activity will translate right away. He might be a little rough around the edges on offense in year 1. But he is so active that I think he'll get quite a few easy buckets.
I saw Oturo play quite a bit in high school as my son was in the same conference and played against him. Payne may not be quite as proficient defensively as a high schooler, but he has much better offensive skills. He is stronger, with a very strong lower body and a frame that can put on more muscle, he can shoot it, he can handle the ball, and has a better variety of post moves. Also, he's fairly new to the game. With some weight work and some good coaching next year, I think he'll contribute a great deal to the Gophers next year. And eventually, he'll be a monster.

I saw Oturo play quite a bit in high school as my son was in the same conference and played against him. Payne may not be quite as proficient defensively as a high schooler, but he has much better offensive skills. He is stronger, with a very strong lower body and a frame that can put on more muscle, he can shoot it, he can handle the ball, and has a better variety of post moves. Also, he's fairly new to the game. With some weight work and some good coaching next year, I think he'll contribute a great deal to the Gophers next year. And eventually, he'll be a monster.
Interesting. Oturu improved rapidly by his sophomore year, and was incredibly efficient offensively. I hope Payne is in the same league.

Best part of those highlights, passing out of the double and triple teams for open threes. Kid has skills and good court awareness. Love to see that out of your big men.

Agreed, it's so nice to see a Minnesota big with a jump hook! Also notice the spin moves he makes to score, he's got great footwork and he knows how to be physical to get his shot off. He's also quick enough and gets off the floor quickly enough to block some shots. I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise for the Gophs next year.

Agreed, it's so nice to see a Minnesota big with a jump hook! Also notice the spin moves he makes to score, he's got great footwork and he knows how to be physical to get his shot off. He's also quick enough and gets off the floor quickly enough to block some shots. I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise for the Gophs next year.
Yeah, I haven't been more excited about MN recruit in a really long time.

I'm all in on the Payne hype train. Pair him with Carrington's long range shooting, we have a bright future

Man, Dawson and Kerwin feel like guys that would really look good and benefit from a move home!

In Curry's defense, his injury issues have made that more like just a hook. I'm really glad Curry has gotten this year (he might have next year too, right?) to play a lot of college basketball.
Yes, I have great respect for Curry and all he has done.
His hook shot is more like watching a scud missile fly through the air. You just don't know where it's going to land. Too bad Kareem Abdul-Jabbar couldn't have worked with him to perfect the sky hook.

They really do, bring them home Ben! Ben Johnson>Huebert Davis
I agree they both could use it, but Dawson would have to sit out a year now. As strange as it sounds, we might have kind of a crowded frontcourt for Dawson to see us as an ideal spot to sit out a year to play. That team will have Payne (SO), Battle (SR), Fox (SR), and Ihnen (SR), and Thompson (JR). I am sure Dawson could get minutes in front of some of these guys, but I'm not sure it's a great fit.

Walton makes a ton of sense and I actually kind of expect him to end up at the U next year.

Think a couple of the posters might be onto something when they mention Jones from Davidson, but who knows? (Supposedly he gets one more year. Red shirted his first year there.) I had absolutely no clue about Sutherlin, Loewe or Stephens, etc

Last edited:

I agree they both could use it, but Dawson would have to sit out a year now. As strange as it sounds, we might have kind of a crowded frontcourt for Dawson to see us as an ideal spot to sit out a year to play. That team will have Payne (SO), Battle (SR), Fox (SR), and Ihnen (SR), and Thompson (JR). I am sure Dawson could get minutes in front of some of these guys, but I'm not sure it's a great fit.

Walton makes a ton of sense and I actually kind of expect him to end up at the U next year.

Dawson as far as I know is still in Prior Lake with family as I believe there’s an illness in the family (hopefully nothing too serious and the person fully recovers) but that could be a way to transferring without having to sit.

Think a couple of the posters might be onto something when they mention Jones from Davidson, but who knows? (Supposedly he gets one more year. Red shirted his first year there.) I had absolutely no clue about Sutherlin, Loewe or Stephens, etc
Jones would be a fantastic get. He actually had two more years because of the COVID year.

2018-2019: RS
2019-2020: FR
2020-2021: COVID
2021-2022: SO

We need a lot of help in the backcourt. He would be a fit. He is local and there is a ton of PT just sitting there for him. I've heard Baylor Scheierman's name a couple of times (SDSU) and that would be a massive coup. I actually think he might played himself into draft consideration (his name's starting to pop up) or blue blood.

Jones would be a fantastic get. He actually had two more years because of the COVID year.

2018-2019: RS
2019-2020: FR
2020-2021: COVID
2021-2022: SO

We need a lot of help in the backcourt. He would be a fit. He is local and there is a ton of PT just sitting there for him. I've heard Baylor Scheierman's name a couple of times (SDSU) and that would be a massive coup. I actually think he might played himself into draft consideration (his name's starting to pop up) or blue blood.
FWIW Michael Jones looks like a major 3PT threat. he is shooting 46.7% from 3 this year, and 105 of his 174 shot attempts are 3's so he is putting up a lot! He has one game where he shot 8/9 from three so he can fill the Brandon Johnson role and kill Iowa next year.

FWIW Michael Jones looks like a major 3PT threat. he is shooting 46.7% from 3 this year, and 105 of his 174 shot attempts are 3's so he is putting up a lot! He has one game where he shot 8/9 from three so he can fill the Brandon Johnson role and kill Iowa next year.
C'mon home.

Top Bottom