All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Does Park have a loss? Hoping to see all of these guys in the state tournament.
Park has several losses….most before Payne returned from injury. They are in the same section as Lakeville North and Eastview….can certainly play with them, but will be seeded lower.

Park has several losses….most before Payne returned from injury. They are in the same section as Lakeville North and Eastview….can certainly play with them, but will be seeded lower.
Sorry….. NOT LN, but Rosemount…..also a pretty good club.

Anyone know when the next rating changes happen? Have to think possible upward movement for Payne, Carrington, Kapke, and anyone I forgot.

Anyone know when the next rating changes happen? Have to think possible upward movement for Payne, Carrington, Kapke, and anyone I forgot.
247 had some updates on their own ranking (not the composite) on 1/20. Carrington down about 20 spots to #230. OJ and Payne about the same at 199 and 107, respectively. Henley entered the rankings for the first time on 1/20 at 165.

No idea how comprehensive these updates were or ever will be. Seems like 75-247 are a carousel to me. I wouldn’t expect or read into much movement for any of the gophers. Fwiw, Payne is the only one who’s had much national commentary, as far as I’ve seen.

Local kid that the Gophers may have had some light interest in at one point, but don’t think we ever offered.

247 had some updates on their own ranking (not the composite) on 1/20. Carrington down about 20 spots to #230. OJ and Payne about the same at 199 and 107, respectively. Henley entered the rankings for the first time on 1/20 at 165.

No idea how comprehensive these updates were or ever will be. Seems like 75-247 are a carousel to me. I wouldn’t expect or read into much movement for any of the gophers. Fwiw, Payne is the only one who’s had much national commentary, as far as I’ve seen.
Always interesting to look at less popular sites rankings. On3 is gaining steam with the Tipton edits thing, of our committed guys only JOJ was ranked, he was in the 130s I believe. Again not worried just interesting

Assuming no transfers out and Henley signs, Gophers will 9 scholarship players going into 2022-23 season. How many additional scholarship players are brought in? 3? Will these be all transfers? What are the latest rumors?

Assuming no transfers out and Henley signs, Gophers will 9 scholarship players going into 2022-23 season. How many additional scholarship players are brought in? 3? Will these be all transfers? What are the latest rumors?
There are 13 scholarships so assuming we have 9 then i would guess 4. Hard to say if anyone leaves, Thiam basically didnt play at all, TT saw very limited time. I would assume TT stays and he seems to like it here but 0 idea about Thiam. Way to early for rumors, wait until mid march/april when teams are knocked out and everyone starts to transfer. I would say 100% need a PG/C out of the portal, I would say 2 PG wouldnt be a bad idea and then after that BPA. Or maybe just get Kerwin and Dawson and figure the other 2 out later ha.

I would assume at least 2 transfers if not all 4

If the right freshman wants to sign, they wouldn't say no, but they need to balance the classes

I would think at minimum, PG and a combo guard transfer

I would assume at least 2 transfers if not all 4

If the right freshman wants to sign, they wouldn't say no, but they need to balance the classes

I would think at minimum, PG and a combo guard transfer
I'm hoping all 4 transfers. 3 guards/wings (2 of which can handle the ball and get us into an offense) and a big would be ideal.

I'd be a little surprised and disappointed if Ben didn't pull in at least 1 competent PG that will start for us next year. Suppose it depends on who enters the portal though as well.

I'm hoping all 4 transfers. 3 guards/wings (2 of which can handle the ball and get us into an offense) and a big would be ideal.

I'd be a little surprised and disappointed if Ben didn't pull in at least 1 competent PG that will start for us next year. Suppose it depends on who enters the portal though as well.
My money would be on 4 transfers

I don't think he turns down freshman if it's right fit though

Has anyone seen J'Vonne Hadley play this year? 6'6" wing from Mahtomedi, played his senior year at Cretin and now 2 years at an Iowa junior college.
He always looked athletic enough to me, but then I am not a high major talent evaluator like most Gopherholers. I was just wondering if he has improved enough to get a look. Balancing a roster is going to be tricky while coaches figure out the impact of the transfer portal

1st year at the JUCO has played really well the last dozen games or so after getting off to a slow start… three point shooting was always so so at best.. shooting 35% from three at Indian Hills.. solid rebounder and decent passer

Has anyone seen J'Vonne Hadley play this year? 6'6" wing from Mahtomedi, played his senior year at Cretin and now 2 years at an Iowa junior college.
He always looked athletic enough to me, but then I am not a high major talent evaluator like most Gopherholers. I was just wondering if he has improved enough to get a look. Balancing a roster is going to be tricky while coaches figure out the impact of the transfer portal
I remember the name for sure, where did he decommit from?

with 4 spots left....clearly need to find a starting caliber PG.

after that im looking at at least 1 wing to bring into the mix with Cairington & Henley.
Walton continues to play a less and less role for Carolina logging 7, 4, & 3 minutes in there last 3 games. Clearly Huberts isnt as high on him as Roy was. Its clearly time for a change of scenario. He would be a logical target to go after if hes looking around

im holding out 1 spot for Garcia. We have a pretty big log jam at his position so from a roster build stand point it may not seem like the most logical fit for either side but he of course is 100% a take.

if Garcia doenst want in then the last 2 spots should be a big bodied defender/rebounder and a 2nd ball handler type

1st year at the JUCO has played really well the last dozen games or so after getting off to a slow start… three point shooting was always so so at best.. shooting 35% from three at Indian Hills.. solid rebounder and decent passer
he was always one of those guys that would go to a mid major type school and put up solid numbers his whole career.

UST/NDSU/SDSU would be a great spot for him

after that im looking at at least 1 wing to bring into the mix with Cairington & Henley.
Walton continues to play a less and less role for Carolina logging 7, 4, & 3 minutes in there last 3 games. Clearly Huberts isnt as high on him as Roy was. Its clearly time for a change of scenario. He would be a logical target to go after if hes looking around

im holding out 1 spot for Garcia. We have a pretty big log jam at his position so from a roster build stand point it may not seem like the most logical fit for either side but he of course is 100% a take.

if Garcia doenst want in then the last 2 spots should be a big bodied defender/rebounder and a 2nd ball handler type
I'm all on board for bringing both Garcia and Walton home!

I'm all on board for bringing both Garcia and Walton home!
What if, after talking with other coaches and teammates, watching lots of film and maybe even having talked with the 2 players, Ben decides that they don't fit the culture and style he's trying to install with the Gophers in the many on & off-court categories that aren't potential "offensive stat" categories.

Of course, if that happened, Ben would never publicly say things like "not able to understand defensive concepts" or " not a good student" or "hasn't always played hard".

* Using those as random examples that may or may not apply in an effort to make a point that he may be looking for characteristics and traits that we forum participants would never have a chance to notice, because we don't seen guys every single day. Not trying to claim those are actual problems with those two players*

If he passed on a player because of some "intangibles" issue, how much complaining would we be doing about him having missed a golden opportunity. I'm only bringing this up because most of us, who want this player or that player, based on very limited personal exposure, don't really get to dig as deep for the qualities that Coach Johnson is looking for . For that reason, when he passes on somebody, we may get a little perturbed about it, especially when Coach probably won't expand on the details of why he wasn't that interested.

On the other hand, he may be incredibly fired up to get Dawson and Walton on the team if they decide they want to transfer back home for all of the same reasons he would reject somebody else.

You guys will do the hopeful chat all year and should resign that it’s gonna be the same Colonial League pickings again.

You guys will do the hopeful chat all year and should resign that it’s gonna be the same Colonial League pickings again.
It's funny and it's sad. I will always hold out hope for the best, but you're probably right. That being said I'm sure Kerwin and Garcia wish their careers are UNC were going better than they currently are, so it's not out of thin air to wish them home.

What if, after talking with other coaches and teammates, watching lots of film and maybe even having talked with the 2 players, Ben decides that they don't fit the culture and style he's trying to install with the Gophers in the many on & off-court categories that aren't potential "offensive stat" categories.

Of course, if that happened, Ben would never publicly say things like "not able to understand defensive concepts" or " not a good student" or "hasn't always played hard".

* Using those as random examples that may or may not apply in an effort to make a point that he may be looking for characteristics and traits that we forum participants would never have a chance to notice, because we don't seen guys every single day. Not trying to claim those are actual problems with those two players*

If he passed on a player because of some "intangibles" issue, how much complaining would we be doing about him having missed a golden opportunity. I'm only bringing this up because most of us, who want this player or that player, based on very limited personal exposure, don't really get to dig as deep for the qualities that Coach Johnson is looking for . For that reason, when he passes on somebody, we may get a little perturbed about it, especially when Coach probably won't expand on the details of why he wasn't that interested.

On the other hand, he may be incredibly fired up to get Dawson and Walton on the team if they decide they want to transfer back home for all of the same reasons he would reject somebody else.
I understand where you are coming from, but let's not forget we have a guy on our roster who played 3 minutes per game at SFA and a juco player who can't dribble, and so on. Your situation can't really be applied next year, we are not that good yet and neither is Ben, We would take both Garcia and Walton in a heart beat.

Last edited:

IIRC Ben was confident he could get Dawson Garcia last offseason. Obviously he didn't but it's a sign he believed then that he would be a good fit. Garcia is currently at home with his family due to medical issues. So I think it's very possible he realizes he wants to stay there.

As far as a few comments above on balancing classes, I honestly dont think that is a concern at all. With the number of kids who transfer its almost impossible to plan out 4 years at any school. 30 years ago sure you hardly had any so you wanted like 2-4 guys per class so there was never a huge hole, now who cares. We have 4 freshman coming in next year, i would say the odds all 4 stay for all 4 years is essentially 0. That has zero to do with Ben or this program, that is literally every single team in the country. Guys are either great and leave to play pro or bad and leave to a smaller school or another school that tells them they are great. Without looking real deep, i would say at this point your 4 year players are likely disappointments who like the school and just want to ride it out and move on. I think of like Dupree, great kid, fine player but never really was great enough to play pro but was too good for a lower program.

If you want to make the case that these two don’t fit the way we want to play….I would at least listen, but Garcia and Walton are both 1st class people.

The big issue to me would be playing time for all. You’ve got four freshmen to break in, and two more who played very little this year. Fox and Battle will get significant court time…..then we have 6 young players, plus whomever else is added. Need at least two guards.

I think I would be on board with banking one scholarship for next year to help balance classes. This year needs are starting pg, combo guard, and a big. Hoping Thiam can transform himself into a contributor at pg.

edit: wouldn’t Garcia need to sit a year without a waiver since he already transferred once?

If you want to make the case that these two don’t fit the way we want to play….I would at least listen, but Garcia and Walton are both 1st class people.

The big issue to me would be playing time for all. You’ve got four freshmen to break in, and two more who played very little this year. Fox and Battle will get significant court time…..then we have 6 young players, plus whomever else is added. Need at least two guards.
Certainly in no way meant to indicate that the two players in mentioned above are anything but 1st class people. The question is a little more general than that. Basically, do you take a player who is more talented, but doesn't quite fit your vision for culture and personality. Or do you take a less talented player that exactly fits your vision for culture and team personality. Obviously, you want to get the point where you have your choice of players who check both boxes. Maybe Garcia and Walton are exactly what checks all the boxes Coach Johnson is looking at.

Brings up another question. Our team is down right now, but hoping to build a contender that graduates players, follows NCAA rules, ect. Right now, if you had to choose one over the other, do you pick character with less talent, or do you pick talent with less character?

Top Bottom