All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

WI didn’t get Trimble either - no surprise a first year coach at MN didn’t. When is the last time we got a top 100 player from WI?
Didn't mean to insinuate that Ben should've nabbed Trimble, only that he appears to be a great player. Apologies to Jaden for getting his last name wrong. I definitely hope "Henley" is on the tip of everyone's tongue.

Didn't mean to insinuate that Ben should've nabbed Trimble, only that he appears to be a great player. Apologies to Jaden for getting his last name wrong. I definitely hope "Henley" is on the tip of everyone's tongue.
Yeah, MN is a good basketball state. I think Ben will miss on a number of guys. Hopefully he hits on more than misses.

Hope Hadley is a gem!

In the meantime, we may have missed on a good one in Watson at Grace. I know reports were “we cooled on him,” but take a look at his last two games (YouTube) against Park Center and Menominee falls. He drains numerous 3’s and show good court acumen inside on both offense and defense.

I like both Carrington and Chatman, but Watson was the best local player this past weekend.

Seth Trimble (#5 Falls) is simply a hell of prospect. 35 pts. VS. TG and headed to Carolina.
Where's Watson going?

Thanks for clarifying. Roy grabbed a stud win from LaCrosse or Eau Claire a while back as well. If we can’t get him then glad Sconny doesn’t either!

The blue bloods pretty much pick the 5* from Wisconsin just like they do in Minnesota. When's the last time we had a 4 or 5* decomitt and go somewhere else? Bucky fans, understandably upset at Tyler Herro decomitting and going to Kentucky

I went to see Payne last night. A very quiet 28 pt. night in a 56-49 win over WBL. Lets the game come to him. Works hard to get the ball. Good teammate. Nice footwork. Will contribute early with lots of room to grow!

Last edited:

I went to see Payne last night. A very quiet 28 pt. night in a 56-49 win over WBL. Let’s the game come to him. Works hard to get the ball. Good teammate. Nice footwork. Will contribute early with lots of room to grow!
Oturu potential?

How do you score half your team's points quietly?
In truth, I saw a kid drop 40 in a D3 game many years back and if you had asked me I would have figured upper 20s. The kid just hit shots without any flair or effort. It took me by surprise that he had 40. Note that one big reason was the other team played a very simple 2-3 zone and left him open all night for mid-range shots. The 40 was more because of the poor competition. Probably similar with playing WBL.

I would say that‘s not a bad comparison. He has a solid face up game, probably a better passer out of the double team than Daniel, but not quite as bouncy.
I see Payne more as like a skilled junk yard dog type. I am a huge fan of Daniel Oturu but I think Payne is a more active player. He kind of reminds me of a traditional Michigan State 4. Strong, rugged, but super active. I think Daniel's game was a bit more of the traditional post.

I'm not sure who I would say has more potential. I think Payne probably does. In some ways, Daniel's skillset didn't quite fit his size. Oturu's great, I just happen to be very bullish on Payne's game.

I see Payne more as like a skilled junk yard dog type. I am a huge fan of Daniel Oturu but I think Payne is a more active player. He kind of reminds me of a traditional Michigan State 4. Strong, rugged, but super active. I think Daniel's game was a bit more of the traditional post.

I'm not sure who I would say has more potential. I think Payne probably does. In some ways, Daniel's skillset didn't quite fit his size. Oturu's great, I just happen to be very bullish on Payne's game.
More like a Jerry Holman clone? I haven’t seen the kid play so just curious.

Yeah, like a more skilled Jerry Holman type. He can shoot and score better than Holman.

I don't know if you remember him, but he reminds me of Andre Hutson who used to play at Michigan State about 20 years ago.
Is Payne someone you see making an impact as a freshman or is he a potential elite B1G player but more as an upper classman??

See Eli King and Caledonia beat Totino-Grace today.
I was at the game today. ElI King is going to be a nice player. Great shooter, handles the ball and knows the game. He’s the protypical coaches kid. Not going to be a superstar but will be a winning player.

Totino is amazingly undisciplined. Throws the ball away way too often. They we’re up 50-30 at halftime and came out and played the second half with no energy.

Yeah, like a more skilled Jerry Holman type. He can shoot and score better than Holman.

I don't know if you remember him, but he reminds me of Andre Hutson who used to play at Michigan State about 20 years ago.
Thanks!

Is Payne someone you see making an impact as a freshman or is he a potential elite B1G player but more as an upper classman??
I’d be shocked if Payne doesn’t contribute as a freshman. If the roster stays as is next year (it can’t) he will start and be serviceable. I still think we bring in a Grad transfer and he comes off the bench in year one and starts is sophomore year

Yeah, I think he'll play quite a bit. I think his defense, rebounding and activity will translate right away. He might be a little rough around the edges on offense in year 1. But he is so active that I think he'll get quite a few easy buckets.

I was at the game today. ElI King is going to be a nice player. Great shooter, handles the ball and knows the game. He’s the protypical coaches kid. Not going to be a superstar but will be a winning player.

Totino is amazingly undisciplined. Throws the ball away way too often. They we’re up 50-30 at halftime and came out and played the second half with no energy.
I’ve been looking for a box score from this game but it didn’t make my strib. Watching the YouTube video, Caledonia got some momentum going and hung on despite TG having two good looks to win it. Not sure if there two are in the same class, but would be fun to see a state tourney rematch!

Top Bottom