All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I see Payne more as like a skilled junk yard dog type. I am a huge fan of Daniel Oturu but I think Payne is a more active player. He kind of reminds me of a traditional Michigan State 4. Strong, rugged, but super active. I think Daniel's game was a bit more of the traditional post.

I'm not sure who I would say has more potential. I think Payne probably does. In some ways, Daniel's skillset didn't quite fit his size. Oturu's great, I just happen to be very bullish on Payne's game.
In the highlights of post #2501, Payne looks like Illinois' Cockburn. What have you seen that makes him a 4?

In the highlights of post #2501, Payne looks like Illinois' Cockburn. What have you seen that makes him a 4?
I'd jump in and say he's more of a 4 because he's about 6'9 and 230, which may or may not pass as a 5 in the Big Ten. He is able to face the basket and has some range on his jumper, but his outside shot isn't his strongest area. He has excellent post moves and his footwork is really good. I love the description of him as a "skilled junkyard dog type." He reminds me a bit of Liddell from Ohio State-rugged, a very good athlete, can score a number of different ways.

I'd jump in and say he's more of a 4 because he's about 6'9 and 230, which may or may not pass as a 5 in the Big Ten. He is able to face the basket and has some range on his jumper, but his outside shot isn't his strongest area. He has excellent post moves and his footwork is really good. I love the description of him as a "skilled junkyard dog type." He reminds me a bit of Liddell from Ohio State-rugged, a very good athlete, can score a number of different ways.
Eric Curry is 6'9" 240
Charlie Daniels is 6'9" 230
Treyton Thompson is 6'11" 190

I remember we fought hard for Filip Rebraca who we just saw today, he is 6'9" 222. Maybe Ben likes a smaller post?

I am guessing we see him and TT sharing post duties. Maybe even Parker Fox (6'8" 210) or Isaiah Ihnen too (6'9" 210).

Excited to see how he fits in to the team next year.

Eric Curry is 6'9" 240

I remember we fought hard for Filip Rebraca who we just saw today, he is 6'9" 222. Maybe Ben likes a smaller post?

I am guessing we see him and TT sharing post duties. Maybe even Parker Fox (6'8" 210) or Isaiah Ihnen too (6'9" 210).

I'm excited to see him as well, and I hope we get a 5 through the transfer portal, because we could really use one. I think Thompson is going to remain as a stretch 4, even if he packs some pounds on before next year. He has limited post moves and isn't strong enough with the ball yet to play inside. Perhaps some good coaching can remedy some of that. Another inside player from the portal would give them more of the depth they need along with Fox, Ihnen, and Payne. Rebounding and interior defense are pretty obvious areas of need

Looking at roster for 2022-23 so far:
PG: 0. Expect/Need: 1-2 via Portal.
SG/CG: 2. Thiam, Carrington. Expect: 1-2 via Portal.
SF: 2. Battle, Henley (assuming he signs).
Bigs: 5. Ihnen, Fox, TT, Payne, Ola-Joseph

9 scholarship players so far. Glaring backcourt needs. Bigs look serviceable.

For a successful B1G team, Battle needs to play SF. He cannot defend the bigger 4s.

It will be interesting to see the additional moves to be made. It does appear the team will be longer and able to contest more shots.

Big void to fill in the backcourt. The team desperately needs a floor general and team leader.

Next season Minnesota will be an attractive portal destination for mid major players looking to play in the B1G, we got 3 players from Minnesota to come this season, next season we'll get one minimum.

Looking at roster for 2022-23 so far:
PG: 0. Expect/Need: 1-2 via Portal.
SG/CG: 2. Thiam, Carrington. Expect: 1-2 via Portal.
SF: 2. Battle, Henley (assuming he signs).
Bigs: 5. Ihnen, Fox, TT, Payne, Ola-Joseph

9 scholarship players so far. Glaring backcourt needs. Bigs look serviceable.

For a successful B1G team, Battle needs to play SF. He cannot defend the bigger 4s.

It will be interesting to see the additional moves to be made. It does appear the team will be longer and able to contest more shots.

Big void to fill in the backcourt. The team desperately needs a floor general and team leader.
Agreed there are huge backcourt needs, and if you don't bring in at least 2 new players at the point, you're depending on Thiam or Carrington to step in and play a decent amount, which may not work well. And the bigs are serviceable, but I'd still like a real 5 to come in for a defensive presence and rebounding inside. I think we can say that next year's success is going to come down to whether Johnson can attract some high level guards to come here and play next year. He's been on the recruiting trail for a long time, so let's hope...

Reading this morning a piece on South St Paul and how they have continued on through a coaching change thanks to the play of 6’2” PG Alonzo Dodd. I have read about him on and off for the past few years. He seems like a good candidate to help us at the point, if nothing else as a back up for a transfer.

Is he committed somewhere and I missed that? Why isn’t Ben interested? He seems like a leader and a great fit.

Eric Curry is 6'9" 240

Think Ben said Thompson gotten up to 210 since the start of the season. If he can get to 220-225 next year I think he will be fine at the five spot. 230 would be a good spot for him as an upperclassmen

Reading this morning a piece on South St Paul and how they have continued on through a coaching change thanks to the play of 6’2” PG Alonzo Dodd. I have read about him on and off for the past few years. He seems like a good candidate to help us at the point, if nothing else as a back up for a transfer.

Is he committed somewhere and I missed that? Why isn’t Ben interested? He seems like a leader and a great fit.
Every scouting report on Hedley says he can handle the rock and guard 1-3 with his 6'5" frame.

Think Ben said Thompson gotten up to 210 since the start of the season. If he can get to 220-225 next year I think he will be fine at the five spot. 230 would be a good spot for him as an upperclassmen
I think it would be great if Thompson got up to 230 next year. The question is whether he is able to score in the post-he hasn't displayed any post moves, jump hooks, etc. at all so far. He looks like a face the basket type player at this point. I'm not saying he can't do it, but he certainly hasn't shown any of that so far. It's never a bad thing to have a 7-footer who can shoot it, but it will be interesting to see where they use him.

I think it would be great if Thompson got up to 230 next year. The question is whether he is able to score in the post-he hasn't displayed any post moves, jump hooks, etc. at all so far. He looks like a face the basket type player at this point. I'm not saying he can't do it, but he certainly hasn't shown any of that so far. It's never a bad thing to have a 7-footer who can shoot it, but it will be interesting to see where they use him.
Yeah the 230 number I'm thinking is two years out, but I think even being 220 would help, he's never really in post on offense so it's hard really evaluate that at this point. I'd imagine with the necessary strength he would be alright. Dude was 175 soaking wet when he committed here, so he's already put in a lot work the last couple years

Dodd is a very interesting player. Not a shooter, but a great passer and finisher at high school level. Maybe they think it will hurt with Chatman?

I don’t think he’s 6-2, but doesn’t need it with his quicknes…..certainly worth monitoring, as he is uncommitted

on another note, Payne is playing at Holy Family tomorrow…against the junior big we are recruiting. I can’t go, but would love to see a scouting report!

Dodd is a very interesting player. Not a shooter, but a great passer and finisher at high school level. Maybe they think it will hurt with Chatman?

I don’t think he’s 6-2, but doesn’t need it with his quicknes…..certainly worth monitoring, as he is uncommitted

on another note, Payne is playing at Holy Family tomorrow…against the junior big we are recruiting. I can’t go, but would love to see a scouting report!
Didn't realize he had TCU, Denver, WIU, and UWM offers

Sounds a little like Siyani Chambers a few years. MN missed badly on him. His leadership and quickness elevated his teammates play.

Think Johnson would want 5 out of high school? That is a lot for one class. And of course uses up a spot for a potential portal player.

Think Johnson would want 5 out of high school? That is a lot for one class. And of course uses up a spot for a potential portal player.
I think you are right. As someone said here- if you can another high school guy that is a 4-5* sure starter, take him. Otherwise, go to the portal one more year to patch the holes. Long term, I hope we get down to perhaps one transfer per year.

Actually Payne's Park of Cottage Grove team doesn't play again until Mounds View this Friday, it would have been nice to see them matched up.

Yeah the 230 number I'm thinking is two years out, but I think even being 220 would help, he's never really in post on offense so it's hard really evaluate that at this point. I'd imagine with the necessary strength he would be alright. Dude was 175 soaking wet when he committed here, so he's already put in a lot work the last couple years
He's definitely put in a lot of work so far. I was going off of seeing him once in a summer league tournament when he was in high school and all of the scouting reports on him in high school, and he was always a face the basket player. If he can learn how to play down there along with his shooting skills the Gophers would be a lot better off.

Actually Payne's Park of Cottage Grove team doesn't play again until Mounds View this Friday, it would have been nice to see them matched up.
Hmmm, saw it on the strib schedule for Park, it must have been cancelled?

Payne can step out and hit a three, but I agree he's a five college. So is Treyton when he puts on the weight. Nothing wrong with have a five man who can hit a three at the top of the key, it was a game changer Oturu's Sophomore year.

Payne can step out and hit a three, but I agree he's a five college. So is Treyton when he puts on the weight. Nothing wrong with have a five man who can hit a three at the top of the key, it was a game changer Oturu's Sophomore year.
Kapke had 43 last night for HF. That deserves a wow.

EJ Liddell is 6'7"

Payne is a legit 6'9", with long arms, and may still be growing (he's only 17). He'll play the 5 for us, for sure.

Does Payne have shooting range or is a guy who cleans up in the paint?

this is a tough one for me to figure out also. I have only seen him play 3 times, so definitely not the greatest authority on all things Alonzo Dodd-- but I was trying to figure out what the high major coaches see that they don't like. He doesn't have great shooting form, so that may not work at the high major level, but he is young and still has time to correct it. See Al Nolen year 1 vs year 4. Leadereship and on court persona seemed fine- did trash talk a kid after beating him badly once, but way lesser players do that all the time too-- i couldn't figure it out-- unless in talking with him, he expects to be a day 1 starter as a freshman. That probably won't happen unless he picks a low/mid major with a glaring need at point guard.
He is fun to watch in a high school game tho-- I would love to see him as a Gopher and hope we don't need him to play until his 2nd or 3rd year.

Top Bottom