All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Very big praise for Ben from a national writer! Payne also moved up to #150 as a placeholder, but it sounds like they will likely push him to a 4-star!

Where you at San Diego Troller Fan?
Eric is a great evaluator. Very few internet guys get coaches asking for evals. He is trusted.

The Bossi article was linked for the stuff he wrote about Payne. That other kid's picture is on the tweet as he is the lead bit of the article
per Bossi:

In reviewing game film of Payne I see a guy with a lot of upside. He's got a great frame for a power forward, he's a bouncy athlete, he shows promise as a shooter, he can really run the floor and he's an excellent shot blocker. Due to some players reclassifying, we have actually moved Payne into our top 150 (at No. 150) to fill a newly opened spot. Now, we've not done a full update to the 2022 rankings yet so that's just a place holder for Payne at the moment. In my opinion, he's got a good chance to move up and I think we need to heavily consider him for a move to four-star status. The bottom line here, is Johnson and his staff identified a very talented, very local kid playing on a non shoe sponsored team and got him locked up as quickly as possible.

Their other local commit, wing Braeden Carrington, isn't so bad either. He's got good positional size, can get it going scoring from the perimeter and if he doesn't make the updated rankings, he won't miss by a lot. I also expect the Gophers to land a commitment from another local in bouncy forward Josh Ola-Josephwho had a breakout summer earning offers from others like Clemson and Texas A&M.

We will see how things continue to progress, but from where I sit, Johnson deserves high marks for doing exactly what it was hoped he would do when it comes to locking down Minnesota talent. There have and will be some misses, but overall he is on track as he and his staff fight to lock down the borders.

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't want my coaches relying on internet scouts, but for us fans we need start with somewhere.

Nice see others besides Ryan James say good things
Always remember how much the internet scouts loved the Tim Brewster hire....

I wouldn't want my coaches relying on internet scouts, but for us fans we need start with somewhere.

Nice see others besides Ryan James say good things
Staffs won’t rely on it per say, but it’s still nice to have another person out there guiding where to look so you spend your time wisely. There is give and take in this industry.

For those of you with insight on these prospects: Is there any chance the Gopher staff projects Carrington as a primary ball handler?

The idea of bringing in size on the wing with the likes of Ola-Joseph, Dunn and Byrd is intriguing. The future roster is pretty thin other than Battle.

For those of you with insight on these prospects: Is there any chance the Gopher staff projects Carrington as a primary ball handler?

The idea of bringing in size on the wing with the likes of Ola-Joseph, Dunn and Byrd is intriguing. The future roster is pretty thin other than Battle.
Fox and Ihnen will be back next year (hopefully), and Treyton and Thiam should get some run this year due to not having much else. 5 guys returning, maybe 5 incoming freshmen, and look to round out the scholarships with more transfers?

Carrington a shooting guard, I could only see him playing point if an injury situation like 2011 or a scandal like 2016 happened. He handled some in high school when because of injuries, but he's a two.

Carrington a shooting guard, I could only see him playing point if an injury situation like 2011 or a scandal like 2016 happened. He handled some in high school when because of injuries, but he's a two.
Right. If he was capable of playing PG in the Big Ten, he would definitely be doing it in high school.

Rivals projects Zakai Zeigler going to Tennessee. PG Jayden Pierre has become an important get. None of the other PG's the Gophers have offered ( Anthony Black, Denzel Aberdeen, Willie Lightfoot Jr ) seem likely. He visits Sept 2 along with SF Ryan Dunn. Let's get Pierre committed.

Rivals projects Zakai Zeigler going to Tennessee. PG Jayden Pierre has become an important get. None of the other PG's the Gophers have offered ( Anthony Black, Denzel Aberdeen, Willie Lightfoot Jr ) seem likely. He visits Sept 2 along with SF Ryan Dunn. Let's get Pierre committed.
Let's go baby, all in on Pierre. He'd be a solid get at Top 150 in the country according to 247. Pierre, Carrington, Ola-Joseph and Payne.

Looks like Pierre only has an official set with us? Ohio St. weekend....

Getting ahead of myself though. One step at a time.

If he was going to commit to Tennessee why not do it today as his ov there ends today? Instead Sakai said he will announce friday

btw, that’s appears to be for 2021 for zakai

Maybe he's got favorites among them, but Aberdeen posted a top 8 with Minnesota in it not even two weeks ago.

Unless their is more than one Zakai Zeigler out there, it appears he is already in the U of Tennessee directory. Not liking our chances on this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-013637.png
    Screenshot_20210825-013637.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 36

Maybe he's got favorites among them, but Aberdeen posted a top 8 with Minnesota in it not even two weeks ago.

Looks like Aberdeen is more of a wing than a ball-handler

Agree. Getting a PG in this class is important at this point.

The new Rivals 150 for the 2022 class is out. No Payne or Carrington. The Minnesota kids are ranked as follows:

#64 Prince Aligbe
#80 Tre Holloman
#84 DJ Jefferson
#91 Eli King
#103 Cam Heide
#141 Damarion Watson

Highly suspect.........

The new Rivals 150 for the 2022 class is out. No Payne or Carrington. The Minnesota kids are ranked as follows:

#64 Prince Aligbe
#80 Tre Holloman
#84 DJ Jefferson
#91 Eli King
#103 Cam Heide
#141 Damarion Watson

Highly suspect.........
Rivals has really dropped off the map. They're borderline ESPN bad.

Rivals has really dropped off the map. They're borderline ESPN bad.
Once Bossi left and went to 247 there was no reason to pay attention to them for hoops. It's now at the point where 247 would be better off showcasing their own rankings instead of the composite, or for hoops they'd be better off including prep hoops in the composite, but then again people like RJ and Evan Flood are employed by both so that could be counter productive

#64 Prince Aligbe
#80 Tre Holloman
#84 DJ Jefferson
#91 Eli King
#103 Cam Heide
#141 Damarion Watson

Highly suspect.........
Guessing this will be the least accurate year ever for recruiting rankings.

Top Bottom