All Things Gophers 2024-25 Schedule Updates

Missouri releases schedule and no game with Gophers. Bummer. Hope our last game gets filled with non-cupcake opponent...whether home or away.
Gophers schedule has been updated above. Average ranking of non-conference opponents (7 confirmed) now sits at 219.428. Still 3 opponents TBD (2 + 1 of Florida/Wake Forest/Wichita State in WokESPN Events Invitational semifinal).

Have to avoid the game with Wichita State at this point to have a respectable OOC SOS. Need to beat Wake Forest/Florida in the first game, assuming that's the matchup.

So, is Ben basically insubordinate with the direction of his pre season schedule? It appears we will have marginal improvement in our strength of schedule over last year. Coyle rarely is anything but a cheerleader but he did ask for a better non conference basketball schedule. I highly doubt this is what he was hoping for.

So, is Ben basically insubordinate with the direction of his pre season schedule? It appears we will have marginal improvement in our strength of schedule over last year. Coyle rarely is anything but a cheerleader but he did ask for a better non conference basketball schedule. I highly doubt this is what he was hoping for.
If Ben has any kind of cojones he'll replace the Missouri game with (at minimum) an equal-type opponent. Mercy, I hope it's not two more soft pastries to finish the schedule.

If Ben has any kind of cojones he'll replace the Missouri game with (at minimum) an equal-type opponent. Mercy, I hope it's not two more soft pastries to finish the schedule.
In a past life, getting a decent game at this stage would have been almost impossible. Maybe not so now, but I’m not holding out much hope. I’d like to know the backstory on the Mizzou game and who bolted on whom.

In a past life, getting a decent game at this stage would have been almost impossible. Maybe not so now, but I’m not holding out much hope. I’d like to know the backstory on the Mizzou game and who bolted on whom.
It’s not that uncommon for a one-year pause on a contracted home & home. I’d be surprised if the Gophers aren’t playing in Columbia next season.

But even so, no matter who initiated the game being postponed or canceled, Ben needs to make an honest effort to replace it with a decent opponent for this season.

We really need to play both Wake Forest and Florida to salvage this OOC schedule. Missouri didn't project to be great but that would have been at worst a Q2 game(maybe even a Q1 game). The buy games are better, in theory, but relying on them to bolster your OOC can be a tricky thing.

Vandy and Cal just announced a home and home beginning this year, so maybe all hope is not lost in that happening.

Here's a who's who of teams that still appear to have openings for their non-conference schedule:

For the 2 remaining openings on the Gophers' 'schedule, I'd gladly play any of these, some obviously more realistic than others:

Arizona State
Arkansas
Auburn
Baylor
Florida State
Georgetown
Georgia
Gonzaga
Grand Canyon
Miami
Mississippi State
NC State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
Saint Thomas
San Diego State
Seton Hall
South Dakota State
Tennessee
UConn

Go to work, Ben, do something with at least one of those two remaining spots!

Last edited:

Here's a who's who of teams that still appear to have openings for their non-conference schedule:

For the 2 remaining openings on the Gophers' 'schedule, I'd gladly play any of these, some obviously more realistic than others:

Arizona State
Arkansas
Auburn
Baylor
Florida State
Georgetown
Georgia
Gonzaga
Grand Canyon
Miami
Mississippi State
NC State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
Saint Thomas
San Diego State
Seton Hall
South Dakota State
Tennessee
UConn

There's a couple you sneaked onto this list from a low major conference...

Also, how are you viewing Oregon St. and Wash St. this year (i.e. they're not P5 anymore, but you did include Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and San Diego St. in the other thread.?

There's a couple you sneaked onto this list from a low major conference...

Also, how are you viewing Oregon St. and Wash St. this year (i.e. they're not P5 anymore, but you did include Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and San Diego St. in the other thread.?
The list above isn't exclusive to the Power 5, so that's why I included teams like South Dakota State & St. Thomas.

I'm excluding Oregon State and Washington State (from the schedule rankings) because they're playing in the WCC now + add for the most part they've been irrelevant. If they had been NCAA regulars (like Gonzaga/Saint Mary's/San Diego State) while playing in the Pac 12, I would've included them in the schedule rankings.

Decent chance the pairings for the ESPN Events Invitational (the Gophers tournament) will be announced today, as the NIT Season Tip-Off pairings were just announced a few minutes ago. The 4 teams in the NIT Season Tip-Off (Utah State, North Texas, Saint Bonaventure, Northern Iowa) originally were slated for the 8-team ESPN Events Invitational.

Gophers draw Wichita State in semifinals of ESPN Events Invitational.

Schedule has been updated at top of thread. With 2 opponents still TBD, average NET ranking of non-conference opponents now sits at 210.875.

Last edited:

Schedule has been updated at top of thread. With 2 opponents still TBD, average NET ranking of non-conference opponents now sits at 210.875.

Wow, that really sucks. They are pretty clearly the worst of the other 3 teams there. All the sudden we went from having 3 potential Q1 games(UF, Wake Forest and @Missouri) to now only 1. CBJ needs to schedule something of quality with these last two games. If not, it'll be another 300+ ranked OOC schedule.

A schedule where you play only one game against a power 5 school is still pathetic and only looks decent compared to last year's embarrassment. They really need to replace the Mizzou game. Putting yourself in a position where you have to win 11-12 B1G games just to be on the bubble is self-defeating.

Arizona State
Arkansas
Auburn
Baylor
Florida State
Georgetown
Georgia
Gonzaga
Grand Canyon
Miami
Mississippi State
NC State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
Saint Thomas
San Diego State
Seton Hall
South Dakota State
Tennessee
UConn

Definitely a couple good ones in there. Really hope he doesn’t chicken out on the last two.

This drives me insane. How do you not learn from last year's debacle and sack the *** up?

You have the deepest, most experienced team during your tenure and will lose your job if you don't make the tourney. With the advanced analytics, there's no excuse to schedule like this if you have tournament aspirations.

Honestly, at this point, schedule a road game at a quality mid-major if you have to. We need two legitimate tests, and even if we get them, I still think our noncon schedule will be generally "weak."

My guess on the last two games: We have a neutral court game with a "meh" opponent (like USF the previous year) and a home game against another cupcake.

Please, for the love of god, surprise me and play a road game (hopefully two, or at least road/neutral)!

I seriously don't understand this at all, and it pisses me off. Ben has to know he's coaching for his job right??

We better not hear one damn word about how hard it is to schedule quality teams from him.

I seriously don't understand this at all, and it pisses me off. Ben has to know he's coaching for his job right??

We better not hear one damn word about how hard it is to schedule quality teams from him.

That's the problem. He probably does indeed think he is coaching for his job so thinks the best way to keep his job is to win games. So, he scheduled a bunch of wins.

Problem is, the best way (and maybe only way) to keep his job is to make the NCAA Tourney. And, this schedule made that harder, not easier (imho).

He'll need to go out and win 12 or 13 games now in the Big Ten.

I'm afraid there will be some November and December games where we see 3k fans at Williams Arena for men's basketball. That is gross.

Top Bottom