All Things Gophers 2024-25 Schedule Updates

You just demonstrated my point. You made a rule from a sample of one.
and if MSU is on the bubble they get the benefit of doubt due to a tough non-conference schedule, this typically works in the favor of every other bubble team as well, of course there are some outliers but when comparing resumes of teams with similar record, the non-con performance usually tips the scale, you are only putting your team in a tougher spot come march with a weak schedule to start the year, would you dispute that?

and if MSU is on the bubble they get the benefit of doubt due to a tough non-conference schedule, this typically works in the favor of every other bubble team as well, of course there are some outliers but when comparing resumes of teams with similar record, the non-con performance usually tips the scale, you are only putting your team in a tougher spot come march with a weak schedule to start the year, would you dispute that?

No question about that! I have agreed repeatedly with what you have posted above. I sometimes think they get too much credit for that though. They are picked year after year even when they have just fair seasons. I believe that making the NCAA tournament should be a reward for having a good year rather than just being a strong historical program that always manages to land in the top 50 of the NET or some other ranking.

My argument above was motivated by a disdain for blowhards who think they know all there is to know about the world despite doing very little in the way of investigating the validity of their assumptions. It's easy to counter the arguments of people like this because you only have to furnish evidence that contradicts their assumptions rather than coming up with assumptions of your own. That's part of why I'm not an ideologue. Too easy to be contradicted!

I see that on the Gophersports site that there are 2 exhibition games scheduled - Bemidji State on Oct 19 and Hamline on Oct 29. I don't recall the Gophers scheduling more than 1 exhibition in the past. What's up?
Ben said something like we are so concerned about our ability to play actual games with fans that we'd play two exhibitions rather than schedule a tough scrimmage. (Unspoken: and the results of the scrimmage might get leaked if we lost badly.). Sooo, we'll play Hamline!! Not a DII school but Hamline. At least they were second in the MIAC. :)

On reflection, we have the most timid coaches for major sports (basketball, football) that we have ever had on staff at the UMN

I'm a 30+ years season ticket holder, and this will be my last year. I re-upped this year thinking/hoping the non-conference robbery out of my pocket would get better.
I'm in the 30+ yr season ticket holder group also. I decided this year to move across the aisle to a less expensive donation option. I'm giving up a little view, but saving a little money, so don't feel quite as bad if I miss a few non conference games...

As a general rule for the 2 early Big Ten games, it seems like the conference tries to schedule each team with one game in their projected "weight class" and one they're likely to lose. Certainly @ Indiana fits in the "likely to lose" category for the Gophers, so decent chance the game in Williams Arena will be vs. Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, or Washington.

Last edited:

As a general rule for the 2 early Big Ten games, it seems like the conference tries to schedule each team with one game in their projected "weight class" and one they're likely to lose. Certainly @ Indiana fits in the "likely to lose" category for the Gophers, so decent chance the game in Williams Arena will be vs. Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, or Washington.
I’ll go with getting Hoosiers early with a new roster of overpaid stars gives us a much better shot at a win in Bloomington. That’s as much optimism as I can muster so far.

I’ll go with getting Hoosiers early with a new roster of overpaid stars gives us a much better shot at a win in Bloomington. That’s as much optimism as I can muster so far.
Illinois and Indiana are the two teams it seems like the Gophers never beat, no matter where it's played. Seems like it's been a long time without a W, especially Illinois. I'll have to look that one up to see if true.

Illinois and Indiana are the two teams it seems like the Gophers never beat, no matter where it's played. Seems like it's been a long time without a W, especially Illinois. I'll have to look that one up to see if true.
I’m pretty sure more wins against Hoosiers than Illini. Crean and Archie helped boost our woeful win percentages against them.

Top Bottom