All Things Gophers 2024-25 Schedule Updates

Season ticket holders shouldn't have to pay for tickets until the pre-season schedule is confirmed. Or possibly opt out of the entire pre-season. Can't do anything about the b10 schedule...

In reality season ticket holders are paying 2x the price for 9 b10 home games.

For pre-season games the upper deck and the ends of the court should be blocked off. No need to have those seats available for the easiest pre-season schedule in NCAA Div I.

To all you season ticket holders, sorry you have to pay for this garbage.

Meanwhile, I’m going to take advantage of the state fair specials and go buy some non-con games with the 4/$40 deal and conference games with the 4/$50 deal.

I’m sure there will be all of 4k others with me watching the Bethune-Cookman tilt.

Not all Big Ten non-conference schedules have been officially released, but here are the current number of Power 5 opponents on each Big Ten teams' schedule:

Gophers (will have 0 or 1)
Minor quibble - the Gophers are guaranteed to play either FL or WF in the second game of their Thanksgiving tournament.

So, it's one. Whoopee.

It is not shocking that this is our non conference schedule. Ben and Coyle supposedly talk frequently. Coyle said he wanted a tougher non conference schedule. It certainly would seem Coyle approved this schedule...what does that mean for next year?

We are doing nothing non conference to prepare for the Big Ten. Dramatically different level of opponent in conference play. So, making the conference tournament seems pretty unlikely. Who we gonna beat? 4 or 5 wins, best case? Seems unlikely 4 or 5 wins is enough to qualify for the conference tournament.

So does the Ben Johnson experiment continue with 4 or 5 Big Ten wins? You can't make the NCAA Tournament with 15 or 16 wins but is it enough to keep your job with a whole new team next year again? Almost seems like this year isn't the end....the make or break season.

So does the Ben Johnson experiment continue with 4 or 5 Big Ten wins? You can't make the NCAA Tournament with 15 or 16 wins but is it enough to keep your job with a whole new team next year again? Almost seems like this year isn't the end....the make or break season.
If the team falls short of the NCAA tournament Johnson will get fired. I don't think anything has changed on that front.

I'm sure there are more challenges then we all realize with scheduling but seems hard to believe they couldn't have come up with something better then what they did.

If the team falls short of the NCAA tournament Johnson will get fired. I don't think anything has changed on that front.

I'm sure there are more challenges then we all realize with scheduling but seems hard to believe they couldn't have come up with something better then what they did.

The only challenge is our coach. In Pitino's last full OOC we played 6 P5 schools. Vs. OU(neutral), @Butler, @Utah, vs. DePaul, vs. Clemson, vs. Oklahoma State(neutral). CBJ has scheduled a whopping 3 P5 schools in his tenure. CBJ also actively pulled out of an MTE last year featuring San Diego State, Washington and Xavier. He's the problem.

It is not shocking that this is our non conference schedule. Ben and Coyle supposedly talk frequently. Coyle said he wanted a tougher non conference schedule. It certainly would seem Coyle approved this schedule...what does that mean for next year?

We are doing nothing non conference to prepare for the Big Ten. Dramatically different level of opponent in conference play. So, making the conference tournament seems pretty unlikely. Who we gonna beat? 4 or 5 wins, best case? Seems unlikely 4 or 5 wins is enough to qualify for the conference tournament.

If they win 4-5 B1G games and Ben stays, even the diehards will be out.

:rolleyes:
The Gophers were originally expected to play at Missouri this season as part of a home-and-home series. That game is now planned for a future date, and Johnson said scheduling another home-and-home with a power conference opponent fell through as well.

“People now want to do neutral [site] games,” he said. “It’s so hard to get the home-and-home. It’s not this year, but we’ll continue to look for years to come. That’s the next step. When you up your schedule is can you get in a tournament where you can win a championship? And then, can you find a way to get not a neutral but a quality home-and-home?”

Ummm...no

If we are on pace for 4-5 conference wins, Ben will be fired before March.

And as disgusted as I am with the non conference slate, I still think we'll have a decent chance at being competitive within the league.

If they win 4-5 B1G games and Ben stays, even the diehards will be out.
Yeah, there was enough improvement from year 2 to year 3 to make a case for a year 4. But if the team backslides in year 4 I don't see any way they can justify a year 5.

Going to have to build a new team next year regardless of who the coach is so if the team struggles in year 4 there won't be any reason at all to run it back in year 5. Just pull the plug and start over.

Disappointing non-conf schedule aside though, maybe this team surprises us, never know until we get to see them in action.

Yeah, there was enough improvement from year 2 to year 3 to make a case for a year 4. But if the team backslides in year 4 I don't see any way they can justify a year 5.

Going to have to build a new team next year regardless of who the coach is so if the team struggles in year 4 there won't be any reason at all to run it back in year 5. Just pull the plug and start over.

Disappointing non-conf schedule aside though, maybe this team surprises us, never know until we get to see them in action.
I agree this team could surprise but the non conference schedule is without a doubt a handicap to doing so. History says our defense won't be the talk of the conference. Odds seem small...same coaching staff. But it is possible we surprise people.....just not likely.

It would help to know the Big Ten early schedule.

2024-25 Gophers Schedule (31 games)
Non-Conference (11)

Nov. 6: ORAL ROBERTS (276)
Nov. 9: OMAHA (270)
Nov. 13: NORTH TEXAS (79)
Nov. 16: YALE (83)
Nov. 19: CLEVELAND STATE (196)
Nov. 25: CENTRAL MICHIGAN (265)
Nov. 28: vs. Wichita State (151)
Nov. 29: vs. Florida (29)/Wake Forest (43)
Dec. 1: BETHUNE-COOKMAN (308)
Dec. 21: FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON (324)
Dec. 29: MORGAN STATE (339)
I see that on the Gophersports site that there are 2 exhibition games scheduled - Bemidji State on Oct 19 and Hamline on Oct 29. I don't recall the Gophers scheduling more than 1 exhibition in the past. What's up?

True to form, you always make sweeping generalizations without supporting empirical evidence. Since you refuse to test your theories, I'll have to do it for you.

2024​
Pomeroy
TeamNC Sch RnkRecordOther
IA State
345​
29-8NCAA tourn
BYU
329​
23-11NCAA tourn
Nebraska
322​
23-11NCAA tourn
Northwestern
352​
22-12NCAA tourn
TCU
357​
21-13NCAA tourn
NC State
313​
26-15NCAA tourn
South Carolina
332​
26-8NCAA tourn

Now, it's true that playing a weak schedule makes it more difficult to be selected as an at large team (even to the NIT). NC State wouldn't have made the NCAA tournament without winning the ACC tournament but they were sure capable of playing well (Final Four) at the end of the season despite their lowly rated nonconference schedule. So, clearly teams can and do perform well despite playing weak nonconference schedules.

True to form, you always make sweeping generalizations without supporting empirical evidence. Since you refuse to test your theories, I'll have to do it for you.

2024​
Pomeroy
IA State
345​
29-8NCAA tourn
BYU
329​
23-11NCAA tourn
Nebraska
322​
23-11NCAA tourn
Northwestern
352​
22-12NCAA tourn
TCU
357​
21-13NCAA tourn
NC State
313​
26-15NCAA tourn
South Carolina
332​
26-8NCAA tourn

Now, it's true that playing a weak schedule makes it more difficult to be selected as an at large team (even to the NIT). NC State wouldn't have made the NCAA tournament without winning the ACC tournament but they were sure capable of playing well (Final Four) at the end of the season despite their lowly rated nonconference schedule. So, clearly teams can and do perform well despite playing weak nonconference schedules.
Minimum 21 wins by those teams. So yeah, if we get to 21 wins with our schedule - let's say 10-1 and 10-10 and one BTT win that might do it. It's just that the schedule takes away almost any chance that you can get in with 20 wins or less. You can get in with 18-19 wins if you are a power conference team who also played a solid top 100 non-conference schedule. With a team this old- that should have been our strategy.

TCU beat Baylor, OSU twice and Houston- those are some serious wins

Minimum 21 wins by those teams. So yeah, if we get to 21 wins with our schedule - let's say 10-1 and 10-10 and one BTT win that might do it. It's just that the schedule takes away almost any chance that you can get in with 20 wins or less. You can get in with 18-19 wins if you are a power conference team who also played a solid top 100 non-conference schedule. With a team this old- that should have been our strategy.

TCU beat Baylor, OSU twice and Houston- those are some serious wins
Very good point and I am guessing they are choosing this avenue because there was such a massive roster makeover again and they want to have more room for error in the non-conference. i.e. better opportunity to build team chemistry in games and still have adequate odds to win early on.

Very good point and I am guessing they are choosing this avenue because there was such a massive roster makeover again and they want to have more room for error in the non-conference. i.e. better opportunity to build team chemistry in games and still have adequate odds to win early on.
Well, the scheduling just reeks of a no confidence vote on the team and also just shows no interest in warming up the fan base. It's stick in the eye of fans. I (without seeing them) like the team and would like to see them challenged and win some of those contests and that should be something that the oldest team in the country could do.

2024​
Pomeroy
IA State
345​
29-8NCAA tourn
BYU
329​
23-11NCAA tourn
Nebraska
322​
23-11NCAA tourn
Northwestern
352​
22-12NCAA tourn
TCU
357​
21-13NCAA tourn
NC State
313​
26-15NCAA tourn
South Carolina
332​
26-8NCAA tourn

Well, on this list https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other Iowa St has a non conference strength of schedule of 37. That is a long way from 345.
Nebraska is at 80, BYU at 66.

I don't care to spend the time arguing with you

Last edited:

Well, on this list https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other Iowa St has a non conference strength of schedule of 37. That is a long way from 345.
Nebraska is at 80, BYU at 66.

I don't care to spend the time arguing with you

Well, Team Rankings had our nonconference strength of schedule last season at #157 which would be slightly above average for the total D1 sample. You believe that?

Pomeroy had ours at #362, dead last.

Well, Team Rankings had our nonconference strength of schedule last season at #157 which would be slightly above average for the total D1 sample. You believe that?

Pomeroy had ours at #362, dead last.
I believe what experience has taught me as a coach...playing crappy teams and winning builds bad habits. Players don't believe a word you say about what has to change versus better competition.

Playing teams better than you, challenges you. It forces you to get better. You lose or struggle to win and now you have the players attention and you can make improvements. You are forced to play harder to compete. Your players listen because they don't wanna lose again....they work harder.

Beat crappy teams and you can't magically respond when you get hit in the mouth by a better team. You don't know how to respond.

Insert Mike Tyson: Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. You are not preparing your team playing crappy teams...you get worse....you coast to victory. You do stupid stuff and still win. Play a Big Ten team and you whimper in crunch time if things go well...you get run out of the gym if things don't go well. Okay, game two versus a good team....tell us coach....fix it. We are ready to listen now. You don't correct it very often in one or two practices without the foundation you should have put in the first 8 weeks.

That's what I believe about playing bad teams. You sink to their level, if that's all you know for competition.

That's what I believe about playing bad teams. You sink to their level, if that's all you know for competition.

I don't doubt that you have learned a fair amount about basketball. What you haven't learned, apparently, is that "what you think" isn't necessarily clear-cut fact or immutable law. Personal philosophy isn't the same thing as empirical reality.

I believe what experience has taught me as a coach...playing crappy teams and winning builds bad habits. Players don't believe a word you say about what has to change versus better competition.

Playing teams better than you, challenges you. It forces you to get better. You lose or struggle to win and now you have the players attention and you can make improvements. You are forced to play harder to compete. Your players listen because they don't wanna lose again....they work harder.

Beat crappy teams and you can't magically respond when you get hit in the mouth by a better team. You don't know how to respond.

Insert Mike Tyson: Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. You are not preparing your team playing crappy teams...you get worse....you coast to victory. You do stupid stuff and still win. Play a Big Ten team and you whimper in crunch time if things go well...you get run out of the gym if things don't go well. Okay, game two versus a good team....tell us coach....fix it. We are ready to listen now. You don't correct it very often in one or two practices without the foundation you should have put in the first 8 weeks.

There are too many variables, some of which are unmeasurable, to determine the effect of each one on winning or losing.

I don't doubt that you have learned a fair amount about basketball. What you haven't learned, apparently, is that "what you think" isn't necessarily clear-cut fact or immutable law. Personal philosophy isn't the same thing as empirical reality.
clear cut fact: Michigan St every year has a very difficult non conference schedule. Michigan St makes the NCCA tournament every year.

clear cut fact: Michigan St every year has a very difficult non conference schedule. Michigan St makes the NCCA tournament every year.

You just demonstrated my point. You made a rule from a sample of one.

Top Bottom